• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
if its true JFK wanted to go after and eliminate secret societies than its him.

otherwise I guess Lincoln I guess

whatever just don't say Obama. The surveillance and drones are enough to just .......blah I dunno

Last edited:

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
anyway, there are no "good" presidents because to wield that level of power you fundamentally have to make tradeoffs that will fuck over enough people that someone will literally always have a bone to pick with you

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Answer is Obama.

Carter was not a good President. He completely squandered all political capital that the Dems had post-Nixon.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are only two correct answers to this thread, either "Obama" or "there has never been a good president", anything else is delusional at best.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Obama was okay but too fucking nice. I wonder if he'd be as nice if he had been president after Trump though.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The answer is either Obama or due to the responsibilities of the President of the US there cannot be a such thing as a good president by my standards.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
However, good =/= perfection

Something more people need to keep in mind I think. If you find a president that after his term you can say with 100% certainty that everything they did or didn't do was in line with your ideology then congratulations, you're a unicorn.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
2006-fifty-dollar-federal-reserve-notes.png

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the standards people try to put on the Presidency there is little chance for there to be many if any who could be considered good. Its easy as someone who is on the outside looking in who has no information other then what they learn from a press report or something to cast judgements and clutch their pearls decrying how so and so failed to live upto some mythical standard.

Obama is suddenly a bad President? really?

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Something more people need to keep in mind I think. If you find a president that after his term you can say with 100% certainty that everything they did or didn't do was in line with your ideology then congratulations, you're a unicorn.
Ah yes, concentration camps. A mere ideological difference.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Obama somehow did not squander post Bush resentment?
Obama lost the House in 2010 due to structural factors he couldn't avoid. (Win the Presidency, lose congress is very much a thing post-Reagan.)

Carter had Dem majorities his entire time in office and managed to do jack shit with it. As it turned out, Ted Kennedy turning down Nixon's deal for basically the ACA in the 1970s in hopes of a better program under the next Dem President was a disaster, as Carter was that President and completely trainwrecked any attempts for the Dems to do much of anything with their political power. Nixon at least had Title IX and the EPA because he was a racist asshole.... who wanted a social democratic apartheid state. (This is the playbook the successful populist parties use to win elections in Europe and also what Trump pretended to be in 2016.)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, no. Obama did nothing to "erode democracy in the US".

Obama's long-term legacy would include eight years of relatively good government, healthcare reform, extensive investment in the development of green energy, big advances in LGBT rights, etc. He could have done more, of course, but Congress after 2011 was unworkable.

Did nothing to erode democracy? Lol.

Largest ever corporate bribery in politics.
Continued unconstitutional spying of Americans.
Murder of American citizens without trial.
War action abroad without constitutional approval.
Too big to prosecute.
Failure to secure net neutrality.
Appointment of pro corporate judges.

Just off the top of my head.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

No we haven't forgotten.

However, good =/= perfection and he progressed the country more than any other President in our history outside of maybe Lincoln.

Not the worst =/= good

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Obama's not in the same category Or even the same fucking ballpark as War Criminal Bush or Foriegn Agent Trump.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Did nothing to erode democracy? Lol.

Largest ever corporate bribery in politics.
Continued unconstitutional spying of Americans.
Murder of American citizens without trial.
War action abroad without constitutional approval.
Too big to prosecute.
Failure to secure net neutrality.
Appointment of pro corporate judges.

Just off the top of my head.

Not taking issue with what you're saying but just for clarification is the "Largest ever corporate bribery in politics" referring to the auto bailout?

Not the worst =/= good

Of course not, and I'm not saying it does mean that. Please don't take my statements and exaggerate them to an unintended extreme.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Lol at the people saying obama, the man gave Kissinger a medal, fuck em

Yes i am biased, killing people in neighbor countries makes people biased

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you're going to have to walk me through where I said that people can't be against concentration camps.
You were quoting a person who was defending FDR?

And "everything sucks and everything/everyone ever is/was shit" is a more productive approach?

Or is it just pathetic?

I dunno dude, but I wonder if you'd still admire a president who put YOUR grandparents in a concentration camp.

Yeah I think I need to bow out of this thread.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You were quoting a person who was defending FDR?

Just agreeing with the assertion, not the politics. People are free to (and should) call out bad acts when they see them. But for the record, no, saying that presidents are apt to have some ideological differences with their supporters is not me calling concentration camps a mere ideological difference.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Your question is impossible to answer.

Good in what sense ? to defend the interests of your country ? to be as moral as possible ? to please everyone ? or to reform structurally the country ?

Those aspects are pretty often antagonists during a President mandate, thus making your question impossible to answer.

el oh el

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 1, 2019
Obama also allowed Saudi Arabia to commit genocide in Yemen with our weapons, but that's no big deal I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Obama's not in the same category Or even the same fucking ballpark as War Criminal Bush or Foriegn Agent Trump.

The president's job is to essentially protect and reinforce American imperial power and interests which has historically been completely awful. The office itself is inherently bad. How else do you explain cross administration wars like Vietnam or Afghanistan or projects like mass deportation and bailouts that somehow mysteriously keep going between admins?

What differs are strictly domestic outliers that manage to stand out even among the office like the Japanese internment camps. If you want to measure the best president I guess it would be by that metric and it would definitely not be Obama.

Obama COULD have lowered the military budget, prosecuted Iraq war perpetrator's, and nationalized the auto industry. He chose to do none of that.