• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Era, I had a good cry last night about something completely unrelated to video games, but today I've been thinking about times games made me cry. The last thing that really hit me was the opening to Ori. Maybe it was because I was tired it hit me harder but hot damn I WEEPED for a good few minutes after that opening cutscene.

So when was the last time a game made you cry? This could be a good happy cry or a flat out sad cry.

Edit, I'll note the ones I can think of that hit me hard.
  • Opening to Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Basically all of Journey
  • The Walking Dead Season 1 ending
  • Epic Games Store Exclusives

Last edited:

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Final Fantasy XV

...are the best

I also JUST finished Ori and the blind forest (non DE) After 3 years
9 hours and 309 deaths later.
Amazing game.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Spiderman PS4 a few times and then previously, probably way too much during my playthrough of the Mass Effect series.

AsphaultRat

Feb 12, 2018
Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 finale
Journey (almost all of it, but the ending was something special)
The Last of Us (right at the beginning)

There's more, but I can't remember right now.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter
Something about Estelle talking to her mom at the end of the dream just made me very happysad.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Me: "And that's Kingdom Hearts 2.5 finished."

Sora: "We're back."
Kairi: "You're home."

Me:
tenor.gif

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Only two times:

it's okay to be afraid

when the little brother has to swim across the stream and he's never done it alone before and he imagines his older brother there to help him

Oct 26, 2017
I'm way too tough and gruff to have gotten teary-eyed at the end of Metal Gear Solid 3, or the whole introduction to God of War. Definitely didn't pull at my heartstrings.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Couple of weeks ago I finally played through What Remains of Edith Finch and that shit had me bawling like a little baby

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think a video game has gone so far as to make me cry since Illusion of Gaia on the Snes when the pig jumped into the fire.

I laugh at that part but I'm sure as a kid I must've reacted in shock. Don't remember.
The ending does leave you feeling small though.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My replay of The Last of Us during the ending of the winter chapter. You know the moment.

Prior to that, it was probably Night in the Woods simply because of how much of that game relates to my upbringing and gradual disenfranchisement with my rust belt hometown. It captured my early 20's malaise so well that it drudged up a lot of recent memories of depression and regret.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't cry for media. It probably last happened when I was like 5 when a dog died in a movie. But the games the got closest to pulling it off are RiME's ending and post-ending and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey's ending.

A few weeks ago when I finished RiME ...that ending destroyed me.

We literally posted this seconds away from each other. RiME's ending is one of the all-time greatests in games imho, shame much of the positive talk was buried under the Sony fans betrayalthon row, the false reports about Denuvo tanking the performance on PC and such. Truly deserves more praise.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
End of The Last Guardian. Before that, it was the beginning of The Last of Us quite a few years back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The last hour or so of The Last Guardian was fuckin' brutal.
Is it worth getting through? I bought it on release but it felt so clunky and the performance was less than optimal, but I still want to go through it at some point...
I don't cry for media. It probably last happened when I was like 5 when a dog died in a movie. But the games the got closest to pulling it off are RiME's ending and post-ending and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey's ending.
A few weeks ago when I finished RiME ...that ending destroyed me.
Back to back on RiME! I'll have to give it a look. I like games that make me emotional.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Undertale...last year. I was kinda late to that party. A certain song from the OST still makes me a bit weepy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to back on RiME! I'll have to give it a look. I like games that make me emotional.

There's plenty of emotional payoff in that game, so don't miss it. You can finish it in a couple hours if you're not looking for every collectible from the get go, and what initially looks like a kiddy adventure soon turns into a massive rollercoaster of events, feelings, emotions. I very much recommend it if you want emotions, it's easily one of the most impactful (on me) game stories I ever witnessed.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that made me come close was Aeris in FF7. When it happened it took me a minute to process. All I could think about how kind and innocent she was the entire time. I welted up but no tears.