• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
If I'm interested in the game and have been following for a while I'll still buy it despite bad reviews, because I have weird tastes and like to reach my own conclusions.

Only thing that might stop me is if the review brings to light game-breaking bugs or something of the sort, on technical aspects of the game. Then I might postpone my purchase until the technical stuff is solved and patched.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of written reviews, never, especially these days when written reviews have like 1 paragraph reviewing the actual gameplay.
If I see YouTube or Twitch streams and it looks bad, that'll put me off, sure.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I literally muttered "that's a tough one" out loud to myself when reading the topic title. This definitely happened during my childhood but I'm having difficulty remembering the first. I went off magazine reviews and rented games before making a purchase, so it wasn't often that this happened, but it did happen.

The one that comes to mind is Rebelstar: Tactical Command. It's a pretty obscure GBA SRPG, I was interested in it because screenshots and write ups made it sound kinda like futuristic Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which I was into at the time. It was also published by Namco, who were basically the publishers that just didn't miss at the time. I saw them as the guys responsible for Soul Calibur II, Tales of Symphonia, Donkey Konga, and classic arcade games that were seeing a cultural revival around that time and could often be found in local pizza like Galaga and Pac-Man. Apparently it was developed by a team completely unrelated to Namco's internal developers, but kid me didn't know that at the time. By the time this game came out I was in middle school, so I wasn't that young, but I can't think of it happening at an earlier time.

I remember seeing it get 7s in Nintendo Power and some other magazine and I decided to skip it. In retrospect its reception isn't that poor, mostly middling, but I also remember review scores seeming kinda inflated at the time, with 7s usually reserved for games that are pretty flawed if not awful. Other SRPGs and strategy games like Fire Emblem, FFTA, and Advance Wars reviewed much better across the board and this game looked pretty similar so my impression was basically that it had to be an objective downgrade next to those games.

dcu5Nr5.png

In retrospect I'd kinda like to try this game, it seems interesting, but idk. I've basically never heard anyone talk about it and I'd probably never had known about it if I wasn't tuned into gaming news at the time.
Rebelstar was basically Xcom on GBA, Julian Gollup was the designer. I really enjoyed it. Whenever I read reviews of SRPGs I usually add 10 to the score if it looks like something I'd enjoy as the genre is rarely appreciated by reviewers, and to be fair can often be less accessible than most too.

If a game I was looking forward to gets terrible reviews I'll often stick it on a wishlist to look into when it's on sale rather than buying at launch.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Games I was on the fence about more than I can even remember.

Recently it has to be Godfall. Obviously there weren't a ton of PlayStation 5 launch titles and this looked interesting until I saw the reviews and I said nope.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Probably never.

If I was half interested in something I might read reviews first and it if got terrible reviews (I wouldn't consider 68 a terrible score) then I might wait.

Otherwise, if it's something I like the look of, I usually buy it and maybe read reviews once i've played it or finished it.

Scores are subjective and based on my own playing experience, I know that played plenty of games that didn't get glowing reviews and I ended up enjoying them infinitely more than games that got glowing 10s and awards up the wazoo.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation Allstars was a dream game concept for me but the reviews shitting on it completely deterred me.

Nov 1, 2017
Within the past 12 months, it was the Resident Evil 3 remake. It was a combination of fairly low scores compared to its predecessor, along with a review for the collectors edition on GameStop's website where someone wrote
that Carlos died, or something.
That was enough to keep me away until recently, when I picked it up for ~$15. Great game. Yes, I would've been disappointed if I didn't get it on a severe discount but it's still a great game. A shame about the cut content - I'm sure not knowing areas and enemies were scrapped factored into my enjoyment of a first playthrough.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think reviews have ever stopped me from buying a game I was interested in. If I am really looking forward to a game, I will be getting it day 1 regardless of reviews. For games I am interested in to a lesser extent, it is word of mouth from people who played the game that would give me pause, not review scores.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Was really pumped for Days Gone. It got pretty bad reviews if I remember correctly. I didn't buy it at launch and forgot about the game for a while. Eventually got it on sale months later, and after it was patched up as well. Ended up getting the platinum and loved the hell out of the game.

This was the exact same outcome for me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know. Usually if I wanted something, it was pretty much a sure thing from a strong publisher. Even if a game didn't score all that well, I'd still take a crack at it if it interested me.

Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk was the game I was looking forward to the most. Then the trans issues surfaced and I almost lost complete interest in it and the company. But I decided to wait and see if it got better and to see if those issues with the game were rectified by release. It did not and they were not. So bye CDPR.

I should mention this was the first time reviews put a nail in the coffin on a purchase. Normally if a game looks interesting I will at least buy it on sale.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I can only think of Mass Effect Andromeda.
Love the trilogy, but for some reason Andromeda never caught my interest. I would still buy it on release if it had good reviews, but that never happened.

To be honest, I still bought Andromeda a bit more than a year after the release (it had a good discount), but I am yet to play it.