• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The first one I can remember being mad about was Sonic Xtreme, which we now know was a mess of a game and rightfully cancelled. Back then Sega couldn't do any wrong to me, and I had tiny low res videos I'd watch over and over that looked amazing to me at the time. I was pretty cut up about it. Sonic 3D was ok but not what I wanted.
Then the rumoured (but never actually announced) Sonic the Fighters Saturn port failed to materialize too. It was rough being a Sonic fan back then.

Other than that, the next I can think of was BC on Xbox. It was amazing when the videos of various builds started to show up online, finally being able to see this game and how it played was like closure for me, since I only ever had screenshots in the xbox magazines back then.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Haha, Thrill Kill for me, too. I bought into all the hype as a kid reading game magazines, think it was the first time I heard of a game getting cancelled. Then like a year later I saw a friend had a pirate copy and I thought "wait, didn't this get cancelled?" I didn't find out until years later that an unfinished build had leaked.

Pissed off is the wrong word.

Can't remember the first, but the one that sticks with me all these years later is Outcast II: The Lost Paradise for PS2.

20 years later I so badly hope that the folks of Appeal are able to make that game a reality some day.

This one really hurt as a young teen. I've seen Appeal hyping up a new project on their Facebook in the past year or so, who knows what it might be...

There's one that never pissed me off, but rather intrigued me because so little was known about it. Back in the mid-2000s it was revealed that Climax were working on a car combat game based on Metallica (!), which eventually got cancelled. I think it took like a decade before anyone managed to find videos of this unfinished project.

Wow, I'm a Metallica fan and I'd never heard of this before.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Dread.

latest

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Mega Man Legends 3 is all I can remember. At the time, the 3DS didn't have many games and that was one I was really looking forward to

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Only one I have been upset about was that canceled Pirates of the Caribbean game a few years back. It looked good and we need more pirate content out there.

But we got Sea of Thieves since then. So I can't say I am upset.

Games are canceled for a reason, and it's hard to be upset when a game is shelved. Pubs/Devs wont spend all that time/money on a game that has gone public, and cancel it unless it's got severe issues.

Jul 20, 2020
Silent Hill was probably the biggest blow to me ever. I am a massive Junji Ito fan, loved every film by Del Toro and was excited to see what Kojima could do with the franchise. To make a modern comparison of how much it hurt, it would be like if Elden ring got cancelled being a fan of Fromsoft and George R.R...It still hurt to think about what the game could have been ugh.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Prey 2 irked me. There is a distinct lack of sci-fi RPGs that aren't isometric. I can only hope some of the ideas were taken and put into Starfield.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
I know it never truly existed but, I am still bummed that we'll never get a "true" sequel to Mirror's Edge.

Fez 2 is the only one that has made me a little bit angry because it was cancelled due to assholes on the internet. Like, if people didn't harass Phil Fish for no reason, we could've gotten a sequel to one of my favorite games and the best puzzle game of the XBLA-era.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't follow games super heavily until probably 2010~, so it's definitely Megaman Legends 3. Couldn't even release the demo. :/

May 18, 2018
The highlander game, and the vampire werewolf game inspired by Buffy the vampire slayer I can't remember the name but it took place in the 1800s I believe. Those bummed me out.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My head canon is that every cancelled game would've been a masterpiece had it released. I really, truly (choose to) believe that.

I always try to tell the story of what could have been rather than what was, but sometimes it's hard to ignore. By July 2003, the game mostly looked like this.

WkabEA1.png

With a few exceptions of course.

Other than that, the next I can think of was BC on Xbox. It was amazing when the videos of various builds started to show up online, finally being able to see this game and how it played was like closure for me, since I only ever had screenshots in the xbox magazines back then.

Glad people have enjoyed the BC videos I did, they flew mostly under the radar.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Either star wars battlefront 3 or star wars 1313

Others now would be mother for the n64 dd, legend of zelda ura for the dd, prey 2, scalebound, and if they count a bunch of localizations atleast for the us market. Others I don't understand like the project zero 2 remake on wii and I know it wasn't announced but I wanted the other chapters to Xenogears.

zill pickle

Sep 30, 2018
I'm 90% sure that Tekken x Street Fighter is never happening, and it pisses me off because while I think Tekken 7 has the best gameplay since the PSP, it lacks so many things that I expect from a Tekken game, seemingly due to budget, even while it seems to be the most popular fighting game right now.

And Fez 2. Breaks my heart that Phil Fish got sucked into the social media of everything, the original game set the tone for so many indies today. I wish he was at least still making games.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Probably the one that hit the hardest for me back then was Crash Landed, a game I had no idea even existed until art and animations for it popped up one day back in mid 2010.

I was completely gutted by that and it happened a week before I started high school so go figure.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This one really hurt as a young teen. I've seen Appeal hyping up a new project on their Facebook in the past year or so, who knows what it might be...
Cautiously optimistic it's indeed Outcast 2. If only because Franck Sauer, one of the founders, have made all the old Outcast 2 PS2 clips on his website private "in order to prevent potential O2 spoiling".

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Half-Life for Dreamcast was a big blow. The visual upgrades looked really substantial, and I had a shitty PC that ran HL poorly.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno if this counts since it was a port that cancelled....

Tomb raider 2 for the saturn.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if the game was ever planned but Konami not being able to port the simpsons arcade game to snes pissed me off as a kid

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Earliest one I can remember right now would be Resident Evil 1.5. I got over it, RE2 turned out great after all. But to this day I still think the ultra modern RPD would have been a better contrast to the original RE1 mansion than the "gothic" style RPD we ended up with.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The only one i can remember is Silent Hills. That pissed me off a great deal, i can't remember any other before or since.

Last edited: