• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Oh first? Ok changing my answer to sonic extreme on Saturn. In my teens I was the biggest sonic fan and read every magazine that pic or info on it. I was so bummed when I heard it was canceled and we got sonic 3D blast in return :(

A decent game but not what I wanted.

Oct 28, 2017
part1.jpg

part2.jpg
d1cbb40d14f797e1a2518409ff1442d2c9bd7215_hq.jpg

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Capcom's Mega Man bloodbath in 2011.

Legends 3 was cancelled.

Mega Man Universe was cancelled.

At least two other unannounced Mega Man games were cancelled (tho that MMX FPS wasn't a loss)

Mega Man was inconspicuously absent from Marvel vs Capcom 3.

American box art Mega Man is a playable fighter in Street Fighter x Tekken (though this is believed to be a poorly timed joke and a coincidence)

2011 was awful for Mega Man and every punch hurt more than the last.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3.

Capcom's Mega Man bloodbath in 2011.

Legends 3 was cancelled.

Mega Man Universe was cancelled.

At least two other unannounced Mega Man games were cancelled (tho that MMX FPS wasn't a loss)

Mega Man was inconspicuously absent from Marvel vs Capcom 3.

American box art Mega Man is a playable fighter in Street Fighter x Tekken (though this is believed to be a poorly timed joke and a coincidence)

2011 was awful for Mega Man and every punch hurt more than the last.
There was also Rockman Online, a Korean MMO that got cancelled.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Star Wars 1313 because somehow I always manage to look at a clock every day at 13:13 and I'm reminded. I can't be the only one right?

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Mother/EarthBound 64.

I think that was the first time I realized that a huge game that I was really looking forward to could just.. never come out.

Mother 3 on GBA is great and I'm so glad we got an English translation, but EarthBound 64 was the game I was looking forward to the most on N64, for years.

Dec 13, 2017
Whew lad
For reals, back when I could get hyped and excited for games, the answers are Thrill Kill and Robotech Crystal Dreams. However, at the time, I knew the Robotech game was mostly vaporware.

Fast forward to more modern times and I would say the day when the plot line for Half-Life 2 episode 3 leaked which meant the game was truly dead at that point. I already accepted it wasn't going to happen, or, if there were to be a conclusion to the story it would be so far in our future that modern gaming concepts likely wouldn't apply so it wouldn't feel like a direct sequel to episode 2.

For reals time: Even though I did not care for the series or the genre, but losing Silent Hills was truly one of the most devastating gaming cancellations of modern time or all-time considering what happened to Konami.

Edit: While I wasn't super invested in it at the time, but the cancellation of Starcraft Ghost did suck because I heard nothing but great things from the people I knew who were actually playing it.

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
"Pissed you off" is a specific emotion. Most cancellations are announced after years of radio silence, thus diminishing the anger. You would already see the writing on the wall, so you were prepared for it.

The Silent Hills cancellations was not only sudden, but you knew it had nothing to do with game quality and everything to do with inter-company politics. That's what makes that one sting the most.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Mega Man Universe game that look good even though we did not see any gameplay.

The trailer did look very good. To me it was to be a Mega Man Maker right?

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The two that came to mind were both for the original Xbox. BC, which was a caveman simulator game of sorts. I think you had a tribe of Neanderthals and you had to hunt and forage to survive.

The other was called Fantasy life I believe. It was an MMORPG that seemed like a lot of fun. I believe it was eventually rebooted as a 3ds game.

I'm also having vague memories from OXM of a picture of an anthromorphized tiger and the article talking about the fur tech. Did that ever come to fruition?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
The Oddworld Quintology and various spinoffs. I just wanted more Oddworld.

Also the EU release of Warioware twisted because it stayed in the schedules for years before disappearing. Eventually I imported it but I was pissed they never just said that it wasn't coming.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Silent Hills was a tough one. The NCAA Football series being shutdown due to player likeness destroyed me. That's a series where I bought the game for nearly two decades straight.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
The Lost on PS2 by Irrational Games. After playing System Shock 2, I was really looking forward to anything from the same people... :(

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I had save up money on the side for an Xbox to play True Fantasy Live Online...
After the cancellation, that money went into what would eventually become the next gen/PS3 fund.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Even though it was never officially unveiled, I am kind of pissed we never got that Arkham game starring Damien in like a run down and mostly abandoned Gotham.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really weird one, because we never got gameplay and it changed to a different game, but Lily Bergamo. I just wanted a good anime style game.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I haven't backed a failed Kickstarter but projects like Unsung Story that don't appear to have ever been reasonably able to achieve what they were promising but still took people's money.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's one that never pissed me off, but rather intrigued me because so little was known about it. Back in the mid-2000s it was revealed that Climax were working on a car combat game based on Metallica (!), which eventually got cancelled. I think it took like a decade before anyone managed to find videos of this unfinished project.

Glad you liked the videos.

Peter Molyneux/Lionhead's B.C. (Xbox)
1096789-bc103_97.jpg

It was their next big open world game, multiple milestones were hit during development and it did actually make some legitimate progress even if it took a long time. Just dropped one day and they never bothered to mention it was cancelled.

Wasn't truly open world in a way people would expect. More self-contained in all the prototypes that existed.

Still kills me to see my video copied and reuploaded for this one.

49879a2e8422-600x338.jpg

And I'm still waiting for him to get his own game dammit
You wont be too sad when I finally share gameplay of it. It was very, very rough.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you liked the videos.

Wasn't truly open world in a way people would expect. More self-contained in all the prototypes that existed.

Still kills me to see my video copied and reuploaded for this one.

You wont be too sad when I finally share gameplay of it. It was very, very rough.

You seem to be passionate about researching cancelled/unfinished games like I am. Have you see this tome from Bitmap Books that is coming out in a few weeks? I pre-ordered it.

DSCF5297_1024x683.jpg

DSCF5380_672x448.jpg
DSCF5376_672x448.jpg

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
The Lord of the Rings: The White Council

I was high on the hype of LOTR as a kid and was majorly excited when a LOTR RPG was announced.

Gutted when it came to nothing

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You seem to be passionate about researching cancelled/unfinished games like I am. Have you see this tome from Bitmap Books that is coming out in a few weeks? I pre-ordered it.

Yep, Ive seen it. Should be getting it at the museum I work a now.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Many game cancellations have made me think "Aw, that's unfortunate", especially if the shown/leaked material looked compelling... but Silent Hills is the only one that I'd say pissed me off.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
The cancelled PS1 Beavis and Butthead game. I was a major fan of them in the 90s, and the games were so good. Major letdown at the time.
021.jpg

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Prey 2, the one where you played a space cowboy hunting bounties in some sci fi alien planet. Looked phenomenal. Was really pissed off, and still really sad we never got it. First official cancellation that made me angry and made me say "whyyyyyyy ?! why is this industry so unfair ?!!" as a teenager.

Scalebound recently is the biggest one that comes to mind. The thing might have sucked so it probably made sense to cancel it, but I'm more sad that it turned out that way. I'm a big big Kamiya fan. Recently I feel better about it since Project GG announcement, because until then I was certain than Kamiya was done directing games. Would have sucked that his last directing work was something cancelled.

The first one probably was actually the Kirby game planned for Gamecube.
kirby-adventure-gcn-20050517040528425.jpg

Didn't include it first in my post because it never was officially cancelled (I think ?) and it got rebooted into what became Kirby Adventure Wii, 6 years later, after a bunch of different attempts/builds. Also, Kirby's ennemies would become his allies in this Gamecube build, a mechanic that finally appeared in a mainline game... 13 years later ! In Star Allies !!

Still, I still include it here because I really would have loved to have a mainline Kirby game on Gamecube, and because it had some beautiful levels, that really clash with what other mainline games offer, aesthetic wise.
Kirby-GCN-Blossom-Garden.png

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enders Project.

latest

iirc it was cancelled because the Zone of Enders HD collection bombed. Like the collection was shit but damn I'm salty that it caused this project to be cancelled.

We only ever got the concept of what the game is and that it was suppose to be in Fox Engine but damn I wanted it bad. I really hope that Kojima Productions makes a spiritual successor to this or at least ZOE in the future.