• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
First post on Era!!! Whooo!!!

It's a sad state of affairs that it seems the console game demo has pretty match drifted off into the gaming graveyard. Back in the early PS2 days demo discs (usually from official PlayStation magazine) and previews were all the rage!! I spent so many of my gaming hours lost replaying demos, watching new trailers, and discovering new games that were not even on my radar.

I fondly remember being hypnotized with Ico the first time I played it; the lifelike animations, the trippy atmosphere, the sense of scale and discovery....and a ceeepy castle and a story ghosted in mystery was simply wonderful, it was such a unique discovery as I'd never heard of this game before...and it was on a demo disc from PlayStation Underground. It was such a fantastic sampling of that game, and post completion of that demo Ico shot straight to a day one purchase.

I remember feeling the same way when the God of War demo dropped through an exclusive mailing, fighting that hydra and getting exposure to the amazing world, meeting Kratos and destroying skeletons with those destructive chain blades, mastering the game's super fun combos, and bathing in it's bloody combat was just awesome.

So what happened? Where did all the demos go? It's seems like a rare unicorn sighting to get a demo for a game on console these days. I feel it's due to developers not finding the value; the time spent on a demo prior to release is just too costly and disruptive to production.

It's a damn shame because games need more exposure to stand out in these overcrowded marketplaces. What better way to promote your "interactive" product than to produce a small sampling of it? I hope demos on consoles somehow make a comeback or take on a new form (Some form of try before you buy? Basic limited timers on full releases?)

I don't know what the future holds for gaming demos on consoles but either way I'll always remember the good ol' days of rushing back from the mailbox to drop an evening on a freshly pressed demo disc.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
PSVR has 2 demo discs that has 4 to 5 games on each. Maybe because PS4 doesn't need to convince anymore but PSVR still does so that's why there aren't any demo disc for traditional games anymore.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
No idea. But man, demos were such a blessing for those of us who couldn't afford to buy new games growing up. I played games like Parappa the Rapper, Gitaroo Man, Lego Star Wars, Ratchet Up Your Arsenal Multiplayer, etc. They were even more special to me, since I wasn't on the internet as much and didn't research games, so each new game was like a mystery. R.I.P. console demos :(

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
There's been articles about it, but let's say circa 2008? Oddly, Bioshock's demo might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. It showed that people will respond to good demos, but it raised the bar of what a good demo is. It's a lot of work! And god forbid QA hasn't gone over this vertical slice, which is taking precious time away from the rest of your game, with a fine-toothed comb. Bad glitches can end your game in the public eye even if it will eventually be fixed.

Not to mention every single aspect of your game will be datamined and on Reddit by the time the demo is a day old because you couldn't spare someone for a week to clean all that up, because they needed to work on the actual game.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose demos are antiquated in the same way that gaming magazines and walkthroughs are?

I'd imagine more effort goes into creating a demo than it's worth. Trailers and press impressions are enough to sell games these days, except for VR where you already mentioned.

Oct 27, 2017
During the 360 era when companies started realizing that their demos were losing sales.

It mainly benefits smaller titles that need the exposure. My favorite demo was the Bioshock demo. Sold me so hard. Ever would have known a out that game if it wasn't for the demo.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Demos are still around just not physically. Switch/3DS has a bunch of them. Yokai Watch, Pokemon, Cooking w/e...

And i think that's a good thing? As much as I love stacking my shelf with my physical copies of games, I am happy that I dont need to make room for demos.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
There's been plenty demos recently. Big AAA games tend to not get so many but if they are multiplayer there will be Betas which are essentially the same thing. Dragon Quest builders has a current demo, Monster Hunter has a beta, Hitman had levels free. Basically every episodic game has episode 1 free.

It's def not as prevalent as it used to be but there are plenty of demos there for reasonably big titles.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The publisher would rather you find out their game isn't worth $60 after they've got your money. Demoes have (un) sold me on games as much as sold them in certain cases. They're still around but not as much as last gen from what I can tell.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I believe the increased popularity of YouTube had something to do with it. Demo's, back in the day, gave players a way to view a game they were interested outside of previews and picture stills in a magazine. Once YouTube took off, and the start of the infinite amount of game channels, players didn't really need to experience the demo; they just looked up the game and watched it in motion/played for several days before making a purchase.

The internet as a whole has changed how we preview media before investing. YouTube, really, is just one platform.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
They backfire as often as not and the time investment to create them isn't worth it anymore.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It's true, the wrong kind of demo can kill impulse purchases. People play through the demo and think 'nah'. Not exactly a high-profile case, but I remember people being turned off The Wonderful 101 in droves because of the demo (and it wasn't a great demo) despite it being far from reflective of the game's quality or content. Ironically PG then followed that with a Bayonetta 2 demo which basically consisted of the best part of the game.

Of course, the right kind of demo can increase sales. In my case I've been encouraged to buy games I never normally would have (notably Arkham Asylum which led to me purchasing the entire series, almost twice) based on demos, but today in general pubs would rather not take the risk and prefer to rely on consumers going in blind.

I believe the increased popularity of YouTube had something to do with it. Demo's, back in the day, gave players a way to view a game they were interested outside of previews and picture stills in a magazine. Once YouTube took off, and the start of the infinite amount of game channels, players didn't really need to experience the demo; they just looked up the game and watched it in motion/played for several days before making a purchase.

This is also a good point. While it's almost impossible to gauge how the game will feel in your hands, you can still collect an awful lot of information about a game from the wealth of YouTube channels out there.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Reminder:
Qs2g4J4.jpg

XVIFxsM.jpg

(Second one has Killzone, Jak 3, ATV Offroad Fury 3, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Star Wars Battlefront, Area-51, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Burnout 3: Takedown, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Def Jam: Fight for NY, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

So many damn good games across these two discs in particular. Jeez.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I remember there was a report on demos around 2010/11 saying that they typically had a negative effect on game sales. And that was the end!

Ridiculous really, I purchased loads more digital games last gen as a result of the XBLA trials.

At least Bethesda gives us demos.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was a report on demos around 2010/11 saying that they typically had a negative effect on game sales. And that was the end!

Ridiculous really, I purchased loads more digital games last gen as a result of the XBLA trials.
Yup. Feels like I read the thread about that article/study back then claiming demos actually discouraged more people from buying a game than it encouraged to do so, then demos stopped dropping almost immediately o.O

Forrow Rebel

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I still see a lot of demos on Xbox One, a lot of games also have trials, meaning you can play them for a certain amount of time, so I wouldn't say that they are gone. And then there are also the betas, but the traditional demo in the way you are describing is not as prevelant as it used to be.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's not just that a demo can have a player think 'this isn't for me' after a few minutes of gameplay, it's also that a good demo can have players feeling that the demo satisfied the itch, and even though they really enjoyed it they don't need the full game. This happened to me with the Bravely Default 2 demo, which was a fantastic mini-campaign in its own right that felt just right at ~10 hours of play, but then meant I didn't bother picking up the full game until a year later, heavily discounted, as the demo felt like I'd played a pleasantly short full JRPG. Also the World of Goo demo on Wii, which was a good hour of gameplay, a really fun puzzler and use of motion controls that I never felt the need to turn into a full game purchase despite really enjoying it. The demo felt like it was enough.

Way back in the 80s I used to have stacks of demo cassettes, and very rarely did any of them turn into full game purchases- it was more likely that the 'proof of concept' was more than enough for me to enjoy over and over again.

Demos definitely exist on Switch though- I've got them lined up for DQ Builders, Implosion, Lost Sphear and Octopath Traveller.

kruis

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The rise of open-world games probably also played a part. Must be difficult to create a contained demo from a game where you can go go everywhere and do "everything".

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It was a little after the start of the last gen when open-world games got more popular, they are not demo friendly, eventually pubs stopped bothering altogether.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There are loads of demos though, and Betas and Alphas. There's just far more games coming out these days. Not everything can or should have a demo. It still takes time and resources to put one together.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
*looks up from his Dragon Quest Builder demo to reply to this thread*

But yeah, I know what you mean. The times of shareware or mandatory demos are long gone. Still, I think there's a decent amount of "try before you buy" options out there.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
There's still demos out there but definitely been replaced by betas. IIRC they died around the end of last gen

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
When publishers realised that demo's weren't as effecting as open beta's.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish demos were still a thing.
I'm a huge street fighter fan who happened to HATE street fighter 5 not because of content but because how oddly different it plays.
If street fighter 6 doesn't have a demo i'm not touching it in fear of buyers remorse.

Sure demos may affect immediate sales for the upcoming game but burned customers last a life time.
These so called "studies" only focus on the negatives and never the positives.
If you fuck over your potential buyer with a bad game and no demo they will most likely not return even if the next game is amazing.
Having a demo could bring them back.
Also demos can attract new buyers who would otherwise not give your game the time of day.

If it wasn't for demos I would have never known how good half the games I love now were.
Would have never known how good Vanquish was if it wasn't for demos.

Videos, pictures, and reviews can't hold a candle to actual personal hands on experience.
I for one am all for the return of demos.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
One reason is when Indie devs made a fuss how Microsoft is putting more work on them when arcade games must also be demos.

When you download a demo for Xbox Live Arcade game it's comes with the demo. Like the first mission of it or so depending on the dev/game.

This is more work for them so Xbox One removed this policy and now whether you get a demo or not for indie/arcade games depends on the devs.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It's not just that a demo can have a player think 'this isn't for me' after a few minutes of gameplay, it's also that a good demo can have players feeling that the demo satisfied the itch, and even though they really enjoyed it they don't need the full game. This happened to me with the Bravely Default 2 demo, which was a fantastic mini-campaign in its own right that felt just right at ~10 hours of play, but then meant I didn't bother picking up the full game until a year later, heavily discounted, as the demo felt like I'd played a pleasantly short full JRPG. Also the World of Goo demo on Wii, which was a good hour of gameplay, a really fun puzzler and use of motion controls that I never felt the need to turn into a full game purchase despite really enjoying it. The demo felt like it was enough.

That's a good point that occurred to me after my post above. There are some demos I've played that actually provided me with 'enough' of a taste that I didn't feel compelled to buy the full game. As in, I enjoyed it but that was 'enough' of an experience for me.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
They were replaced by "trials" which allow you to unlock the rest of the game meaning they don't have to prepare a demo seoerateky.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Research showed that demo's were hurting games more than helping them. I remember that a lot of developers agreed on this around the middle of the 7th generation (2008-ish). I kind of forgot the reasons tbh but I remember it being a hot topic that year.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 2 Modern Combat Demo that you could get free at GameStop was legit AF and sold me on the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
for what it's worth almost every demo i played the last few years had me going "this is... okay. do i really need to rush out and buy this?" i can see why the industy mostly relies on omg so hyype #swag

and they were cool when i was a kid but i don't know if they ever really tipped me over the edge in my buying decisions.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I have a big stack of demo disks from OPM, but a year or two into the PS2 era is when I mostly stopped seeing them.

As for just downloadable demos, they never really seemed that frequent except for maybe early on in the PS3/360 era. PC games used to get demos all the time. Not so much anymore. :(

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Creating a demo uses resources that can better be spent elsewhere, and publishers probably figure they can exploit other avenues (avenues they can better control) to build hype for their games. In short, the potential benefit they serve does not outweigh the use of resources and potential negatives.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
The cynical me says it went to betas that are attached to preorders at retailers. Especially for multiplayer games. But I am guessing someone did some research and showed they didn't make financial sense.

I bought a TON of 360 XBLA games based on demos. I find myself buying a lot less on XB1 due to not being able to try them. I am hit or miss on quirky types of games, even well-reviewed games. And with that $15 or $20 price point? I am not going to gamble without a demo.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Demos are not dead. I played a couple of them recently from PS Store. There was a demo for FFXV, Nier Automata, FF World, Dragon Quest Builders, and many others.

I just think demos are now not as revelant as in PS2 eras. You have youtube, streamers, social media, easy access to information that before was harder to como across. You also have now open betas that not only help the devs polish the game, but also work as a demo for the players.