• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I was just wondering, that having regularly female protaginists starts being not so weird anymore (according to own impression, correct me if i'm wrong). But there was a time when a game was deemed a comercial failure just to have a game not aimed at girls having a female protagonist.

I rmemeber that Shantae had problems and thought they selected the second player option (possibly when the game was still on PSX). And Dontnod had problems with both Life is Strange and Remember Me for having female protagonists and that was a hill Dontnod wanted to die on.

Any more examples of that? Not players bashing female protagonists, i say publishers and people on the industry claiming it wouldn't sell a dime.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the issue is this type of discussion occurs before a game is even greenlit, so the vast majority of cases where it happens will never see the light of day

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Back around 2010ish, there was a report that Activision would veto big budget games with female protagonists on the belief they wouldn't sell.

OP
OP
_zoipi

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm mistaken Naughty Dog had to fight real hard to get Ellie onto the cover of The Last Of Us.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Hellblade was intended to just be called Senua's sacrifice but Ninja Theory's publisher told them games with a woman's name in the title sell worse so they decided on the title Hellblade and had the original name as a subtitle.

Now, I don't know if that's factually backed or was just the publisher thinking it was but the only game I can think of with female names in the title is Zelda and they sell pretty well.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
It was quite prominent for a long stretch, but always bullshit. There have always been successful female protags for major franchises... Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, etc. Unfortunately this industry has been run by fucking dorks wrongly believing they had to cater solely to even bigger fucking dorks, despite all evidence to the contrary. The industry would be even more successful if it had been more open during the PS2/3 era. It was around the time of TLoU releasing when the tide started to shift toward inclusion and representation. We're healthier and better for it, with a great deal of room for growth yet ahead.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh yeah like what the fuck, Resident Evil 5 had Chris AND Sheva both displayed prominently on the cover and that was one of the best selling RE game ever.

What the fuck are they talking about can't have a woman on the cover.

apps.20864.64671248987334422.19b0f72f-a5aa-4961-92cc-db687c1f0d12.3454419f-964d-40db-8826-762146627703

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
I still remember the reports from 2015 about Sony being 'concerned' about having a female lead in Horizon: Zero Dawn, and how they brought in an external marketing group to basically confirm I'd having a female lead would tank the game's sales.

www.polygon.com

Sony was worried about a female protagonist in Killzone dev's new IP

Horizon Zero Dawn, the new game from the makers of Killzone, was the sort of title that had Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Computer Entertainment's head of world wide studios, nervous. It was, he...

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Now, I don't know if that's factually backed or was just the publisher thinking it was but the only game I can think of with female names in the title is Zelda and they sell pretty well.

On occasion, Square Enix releases smaller budget games (XBLA-style, or mobile ones) titled " Lara Croft ______", like Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light , Lara Croft GO, and Lara Croft Relic Run. I think the "Lara Croft" branding is because the games all feature the classic version of Lara Croft, rather than the reboot version. But since those are all less ambitious spinoffs (to admittedly one of the most well-known female-led franchises in gaming history), they may not count.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I always dislike when this example comes up, because it's actually true, what they said. If you want bespoke animation it IS double the work. It's complicated because that excuse always felt like a cop-out, to avoid having to admit representation wasn't a priority for them. But gamer reaction was that the statement was ridiculous bullshit (when it was 100% factual truth) they downplayed or outright dismissed the work required, instead of challenging the devs on their priorities, or their weak attempt to deflect criticism. Honestly everybody came out of that with egg on their faces. And still too, apparently.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm pretty sure a female protagonist was one of the reasons cited for why Mirror's Edge didn't sell well.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Oh yeah like what the fuck, Resident Evil 5 had Chris AND Sheva both displayed prominently on the cover and that was one of the best selling RE game ever.

apps.20864.64671248987334422.19b0f72f-a5aa-4961-92cc-db687c1f0d12.3454419f-964d-40db-8826-762146627703
They chose to put Chris in front for a reason.
Resident_Evil_5_Box_Artwork.jpg

It was nice of them to put her in front on the gold edition though I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
It's all been hypothetical/behind closed doors with suits. I don't think there's ever been a case of a released game being bashed for a female lead

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
And Dontnod had problems with both Life is Strange and Remember Me for having female protagonists and that was a hill Dontnod wanted to die on.
While this is true, more specifically the developer mentioned how they received pushback against the notion of Nillin having a male love-interest because it would make the presumably male-centric playerbase "uncomfortable."

OP
OP
_zoipi

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I always dislike when this example comes up, because it's actually true, what they said. If you want bespoke animation it IS double the work. It's complicated because that excuse always felt like a cop-out, to avoid having to admit representation wasn't a priority for them. But gamer reaction was that the statement was ridiculous bullshit (when it was 100% factual truth) they downplayed or outright dismissed the work required, instead of challenging the devs on their priorities, or their weak attempt to deflect criticism. Honestly everybody came out of that with egg on their faces. And still too, apparently.
Wait, so that excuse was really a valid one and people downplayed the work it needed to animate playable women?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Mass Effect has both male and female Commander Shepherds but despite that male Shep is clearly by most portrayals the default.

scar654

Oct 27, 2017
They released later Odyssey and still sold a lot. So the double work it's worth it. Also, double the work doesn't mean crunch.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so that excuse was really a valid one and people downplayed the work it needed to animate playable women?
The amount of work would depend on how much unique animation you were doing and your quality standards. But yes, it was downplayed. Unfortunately it felt like the devs were using that as a means to deflect criticism that they really didn't make female characters a priority. Whole thing was a mess.
They released later Odyssey and still sold a lot. So the double work it's worth it. Also, double the work doesn't mean crunch.
Yup. And the game was better for it. Also a big success and she was the more popular protag.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Didn't stop them copy and pasting Arno's animations onto Elise.

(I get what you mean though)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I still remember the reports from 2015 about Sony being 'concerned' about having a female lead in Horizon: Zero Dawn, and how they brought in an external marketing group to basically confirm I'd having a female lead would tank the game's sales.

www.polygon.com

Sony was worried about a female protagonist in Killzone dev's new IP

Horizon Zero Dawn, the new game from the makers of Killzone, was the sort of title that had Shuhei Yoshida, head of Sony Computer Entertainment's head of world wide studios, nervous. It was, he...
If we're lucky, Horizon selling like 10m+ killed any concept of this notion going forwards.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo marketed dkc3 primarily as kiddy kong's game....the game named Dixie Kong's double troube.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade was intended to just be called Senua's sacrifice but Ninja Theory's publisher told them games with a woman's name in the title sell worse so they decided on the title Hellblade and had the original name as a subtitle.

But Hellblade was published by Ninja Theory.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Not justifying it but didn't Bioware share some analytics that said like 80% of Sheperds were male or some crazy number?

These are self fulfilling prophecies when it comes to the way many games are marketed. And anything that's the "default" option is going to outweigh the rest by a significant margin. I'd bet default model Shep also made up 80% of that 80% because a) it was the default choice for male Shep and b) they clearly put a lot more effort into that character model vs all the other generic models.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Capcom is probably one of the better publishers when it comes to games starring women.
They were strong with those types of titles even back on the PS1.

Jan 21, 2019
If we're lucky, Horizon selling like 10m+ killed any concept of this notion going forwards.
Horizon is IMHO one the most important games of all time.

First it is a brand new IP in a sea of sequels, remaster and remakes. Then it is a game by a studio that did one thing and one thing only, a "Halo competitor" for years. Than it is a game with a strong female lead. Than it is a game full of representation of different people.

This is basically everything gaming publishers are scared of. And it still sold like crazy proving all that shit wrong.

When The Last of Us 2 releases and sells 20+ million copies. It will cement the fact that woman LGBT protagonists can still rake in millions and millions and dispell this stupid notion even further.

Call Sony what you want, but they are doing some things right. And I hope Senua 2 also sells a bajillion copies.

As someone who only plays women characters when given the choice, this gen has been a blast.

These are self fulfilling prophecies when it comes to the way many games are marketed. And anything that's the "default" option is going to outweigh the rest by a significant margin. I'd bet default model Shep also made up 80% of that 80% because a) it was the default choice for male Shep and b) they clearly put a lot more effort into that character model vs all the other generic models.

This is true. There is this funny thing with D&D 5e where most people who play a cleric pick a dwarf as their race and the reason behind that is easy. In the rulebook there is a drawing of the dwarf cleric on the claric character page.

Oct 26, 2017

This is the reason I went with generic Shephard. I tried to create my own, but it looked too doofy. I'm not a character designer for a reason, haha.

But all else being equal, I try to play a variety of different characters when given the option. It just makes each game more novel instead of just always playing as a generic straight male WASP.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

If we're lucky.

But... Lara Croft was always a million-plus seller, with even the lowest-selling games in the series moving at least one million (The remake of the original, Anniversary). The original, on just the PS1 and Saturn, sold 7 million. The 2013 reboot sold 11 million.

EDIT:
Now that I mention it... there were a bunch of female protags in the 1990s. Lara, Capcom always had some, Fear Effect, Aya Brea. Even in the Early 2000s, you had Bloodrayne and a few others... but it really petered out in the PS3/360-era, to my knowledge. The Legend era is actually my favorite incarnation ofTomb Raider , but of those, Legend was the highest seller of the franchise since 1999, but sold only 4 mill (and it only outsold the disastrous Angel of Darkness and Chronicles). Anniversary was very low for the franchise, and Underworld was better, but still underperforming.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You could say that yes. You saved a guy, can't recall if there was a full blown romance between those two.
I loved that game, got 88% of achievements in it, and I do not, remember anything resembling a love interest. Nilin had a couple of supportive figures, and there was a guy who was her admirer, yeah. And then there was the other guy who

turns out to be the evil amalgamation of everyone's digitized negative thoughts and ends up being the final boss
, but I don't recall anyone who's make me think "love interest" .

Unless they mean the guy whose ship gets busted up when that pilot lady lands and trashes it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Isnt Hellblade self-published?

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This makes no sense. Ninja Theory self published this game, and made a big deal of that fact