• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will GTA 6 be cross gen?

• Yes it will be cross gen

Votes: 201 29.2%
  • No it will only release on next gen consoles

Votes: 488 70.8%

• Total voters

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not until GTA V revenues slow significantly. Sure, it only sold 20 million copies in 2020, but Take-Two is enjoying the recurring in-game sales of a F2P...but unlike Epic charges retail for the privilege. Full market saturation is the beginning of the harvest under this model and the mere announcement of a new GTA immediately places hundreds of millions of dollars from in-game revenue at risk. Frankly, we may never see a new GTA.

We've already heard from insiders with good track records that GTA is in development and has been for a few years.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Years away, i wouldn't be surprised to see it at the end of this generation. Rockstar is in a similar position to Blizzard, the profits from GTAO/WoW mean they don't really need to make many games, so you get a new title every 5 years or so, most of their effort will go into updating GTAO.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Release date November 2023

no cross gen

quick reveal and release

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It will come out once GTA5 stops printing money, so never.

If it does it will be out till like the PS5 through PS9.

Jan 4, 2021
It'll be online only and everything good will be paywalled. It will be Destiny 2 with shitty 3rd person movement. But your flip flops will both flip and flop. THE DETAIL.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'm honestly not even sure it makes PS5, but maybe late in the generation. I think its a long way off. GTA Online is raking in money and is clearly their priority.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no doubt! But like Half Life 3, I don't need an inside tip to know GTA VI is in some state of development. It also doesn't mean we will ever see if GTA V is making bank.

Rockstar is definitely going to release another game is the thing. The amount of people at the studio working on GTA Online is relatively small, too. So if the GTAVI is put onto hold, all that means is we'll get some other game from them.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It will be cross-gen between PS5/XS and PS6/Xbox Whatever, if you count a PS6/XW port. And I'm not expecting it until 2023 at the very earliest, and that's being very optimisitc

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have examples of games that were super popular that did get sequels? We still on WoW, CSGO, DOTA 2, League, GTA Online, etc. No one wants to kill the cash cow.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I think 2025 is a good guess. I remember In one the latest investor/earning calls and projections that take two/rockstar had, they had something about a big marketing budget for the year 2023 or something like that. People are assuming that that is when we will start seeing the marketing campaign for GTAVI to start and then release a year or two later. I feel like that's a decent enough guess. They finished RDR2 around 2017-2018. So if GTA VI releases 2025 then that gives is a 6-8 year production and dev time which seems to fit in with how modern Rockstar is developing games.

Also, feel like it will be built for the new-gen which is PS5/XSX. They would definitely wanna push the technical aspects past RDR2 which is already so cutting edge.

Why would they spend heavy in marketing years before release? That makes no sense.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah it'll be cross gen. Cross gen with PS6/new Xbox.

No chance it comes out before 2023, GTA 5 is JUST now coming (properly) to next gen so there's definitely some money to milk there.

27 Burritos

Dec 27, 2018
This was posted on reddit. It could be Vice City GTA 6.

pU3OZdB.jpg

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Hope not, i want to see a large desert area, not that pathetic small part in GTA V.