• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
We have all seen spelling and grammar errors online, with some being more substantial than others.
  • there/their/they're mistakes
  • your/you're mistakes
  • than/then mistakes
  • incorrect use of 's to pluralize a noun
  • could of/should of/would of (this makes me particularly crazy)
The list goes on and on and on. Is pointing this out to the writer taking advantage of a teachable moment, or is it making yourself feel superior to others by being pedantic? Should we be okay with incorrect grammar as long as the intended meaning is conveyed, or is it worth trying to help someone learn that their writing has room for improvement?

Does it depend on context? Perhaps you would ignore a there/their/they're issue, but if someone says you 'peaked' their interest instead of the correct 'piqued', that might warrant a "Just so you know..." response. I would personally prefer to be informed when I make that kind of mistake, but I'm keenly aware of the fact that not a lot of people enjoy being told they are wrong about something by strangers on the internet. I also know that not everyone here speaks English as a first language, which is an important factor to consider (but I also get the sense that a lot of these folks would prefer to be corrected to improve their English). What say you, ResetEra?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they are getting something completely wrong (wrong word, different user, actual information, etc) it is just not worth it.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
No, it is the worst and doesn't add to the conversation. If you understood them what is the problem?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really can't focus on someone's point if they are using abhorrent grammar, or misusing words entirely. At the very least, it reduces (by a large degree) how much weight I give their opinion.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I used to think so but it's not worth it since everyone makes mistakes.

There are also a lot of members on here who don't speak/read English as their first or native language, so it's just something we need to let go.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
If it is a substantial issue that affects the message they are trying to convey, sure. Otherwise, I'd let it go. Or feel free to correct them with the knowledge that some people will take it well, others will be offended and yet others type on mobile devices or whatnot and typos may well be just typos or auto-correct problems and not lack of knowledge of the difference between than/then.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Depends how much you want to share in common with Stannis Baratheon.

I get the inclination sometimes, but I know it's obnoxious to come into a thread and have my only contribution be a correction.

JealousOrganicArcticfox-size_restricted.gif

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
As a nonenglish speaker I appreciate corrections but I imagine i'm in the minority as most people see criticism as a personal attack instead of a "skill" attack.
I also like when people correct me on English type of phrases form example in Portuguese we use sons instead of children. As someone that doesn't use english much besides here and games I appreciate someone taking the time to correct me specially if they explain what i'm doing wrong and what the rule is.

I also imagine that many of my written comments are way too long; in terms of phrases. In portuguese we usually use very long phrases with very little need of punctuation.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If you can't understand what they are saying, sure. If it is just to nitpick, yeah you aren't really adding anything to the topic. Doubly so if their first language isn't English.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone here post that they had to point it out because of their OCD

Like no it wasn't you just wanted to be annoying

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It's brought instead of bought that gets me. How can you mix those up? They have entirely different meanings.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a polite correction, but often the chances are it was just a typo anyway.

Honestly, the people getting pissed at the idea of a correction are far more annoying.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on if you're having a difficult time understanding what they're saying, and it's impeding coherency, then you can ask for further clarification. If they keep making this mistake as well, feel free to point it out too as long as you're not a dick about it.

If it's something minor like spelling, or other errors that do not get in the way of the meaning, then that's going to be a toss up. Again, as long as you're not a dick about it.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I usually don't care much about that stuff, but I really get triggered whenever I see someone use "of" instead of "have", especially when it's a native English speaker. It doesn't make any sense and can't believe how widespread it became.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
No. Instead, just take them out back and do what you have to do. Era is no place for mistakes.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think you should just let it be, but I'm gonna give you props OP. Usually threads like these contain the exact same thing they're griping about and your thread doesn't do that.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
People seem very relaxed here regarding spelling errors, so that's cool.

But I'm a grammar nazi and I always want to punch people who do the then/than offense. I mean, these people are littering the internet with this foolishness everywhere they go. Disgusting!

the real sinners, however, are the kids trying to be cool by not used capital letters or ending their trollish posts with a period (This is also a very face-punchable offense.)

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of times I've posted with typos, errors, or even missing links because I posted from my phone are too many to count. Can spot them myself thanks. Though, the missing link one I don't mind being pointed out. I often post and go about what I'm doing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
just read the room, basically

a rando news thread, that'd be weird and just derail things; you don't know that person and most people ain't going to write reaction posts like they're submitting an essay

but an OT you're a regular in? sure, if you're polite about it

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Grammar is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Also:

duty_calls.png

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

Seriously? I'd only bring it up if:
a) They'd been criticising someone else for their grammar
b) It genuinely confuses the meaning of a sentence
c) It's genuinely a good joke

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
If you are trying to put out a serious point or rebuttal and your grammar and spelling is atrocious it's going to take away from your post. An occasional spelling error? Fuck no.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I find it best to just silently judge them instead.

Having said that, I am increasingly seeing people use "too" instead of "to" and they must be stopped.