• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 9, 2018
I just wanted to vent.

I'm white and I work as a cook.
In this new kitchen I work at I'm given the pseudo title of supervisor as I'm basically assigned all the more difficult tasks due to my experience, but they won't officially call me a supervisor. I have been outright told that the people I work with are very green and so they should be watched. So this one person in particular I have to watch to make sure he doesn't do things like put pink salt in a salad, etc.

At some point my experience, conferring my role of authority, was waylaid by this individual leveling the suspicion that I'm of white privilege.

I have had to work twelve years, eight as a dishwasher,attend culinary school, just to finally land a very difficult job that pays enough to enable me to go back to college.

I know I have some privilege but I also think that I've had less privilege than others, just to be fair to myself.

So like I tried to like play along with these constant jokes. He tried to get me to say the n word on multiple occasions. I'm trying to work with the person. But he is doing nothing and then getting in my way as I try to work.

Today I finally went to the chef and just brought it all up. He wanted me to have a talk with the other coworker but I think the person in question has a fundamental disrespectful attitude where race has become his sort of way to minimize my authority. I then just said I felt disgust and didn't want to talk about it.

I feel disgusted by this idea that I'm somehow racist and I feel disgusted by this person who clearly has no respect for me. I just don't feel like I want to sit down with someone and hear them become all soft spoken and nice when their job is in question when before they were a blatant asshole.

Is that the wrong thing to do? Should I hear him out?

One thing I've noticed over the years is that variants of this type of person will always show up. I'm hoping that if I move up in life I will escape this type of person.
Someone that just doesn't like that you've developed a trust with some authority, and then will in turn try to attack you simply as you don't present like an asshole.
Sometimes I wonder if I would be better off just being an asshole.
One of my chefs described me as the nicest person in the kitchen.

Is that just the nature of people that they'll attack you unless you always are on guard?
If you have something they don't have?
Even if it's something so miniscule and unquantifiable as respect?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary in a Sensitive Thread; Prior Recent Bans for Trolling
Looking at your post history, I don't know if you are equipped to handle that conversation in a way that will turn out positively for you.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I saw this before I wrote a nuanced reply

Maybe I'm being overly harsh.

But, sorry OP, based on what you have said to this board conflict management is certainly not a strong point, and if you approach this in the wrong way it could easily backfire on you. If you actually had the supervisor role it would be a different story, as it would be your job to handle this, but it may just be the better decision to keep your head down and don't let them bait you.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Looking at your post history, I don't know if you are equipped to handle that conversation in a way that will turn out positively for you.
Oh.
Ohhhhhhhhh......

Well I don't know what to believe OP, but you have to speak up at least. Even if the other person doesn't change, you made your position known.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Maybe I'm being overly harsh.

But, sorry OP, based on what you have said to this board conflict management is certainly not a strong point, and if you approach this in the wrong way it could easily backfire on you. If you actually had the supervisor role it would be a different story, as it would be your job to handle this, but it may just be the better decision to keep your head down and don't let them bait you.

It's funny..
I was just on the other board the other day reading about how this board attacked etika before his suicide for failing to live up to this boards ideal.
There was this constant talk of how this board pegs certain members and will then abuse them.

I certainly seem to be experiencing that more than any sort of nuanced response.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
wow that...that's a lot.

anyway maybe you and your co-worker just misunderstand each other. maybe you both started off on the wrong foot, and maybe he thinks you don't respect him and doesn't see a need to try, like you say you feel towards him? i think you will do better if you talk to him and come to an understanding. I do not know how he tries to "bait you" into saying racial slurs. how does that usually go?

Last edited:

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny..
I was just on the other board the other day reading about how this board attacked etika before his suicide for failing to live up to this boards ideal.
There was this constant talk of how this board pegs certain members and will then abuse them.

I certainly seem to be experiencing that more than any sort of nuanced response.

My nuanced response is right there. Based on the things you have said on this board you do not seem to be mentally equipped with the necessary tools to deal with this situation in a way that will benefit you. I'm sorry that isn't the answer you're looking for.

Plus, this seems much less about race and more about you feeling disrespected.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It's funny..

tenor.gif

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You need to talk with him...have your chef there if that makes it easier. I know you told your boss, but you also have to do something as well if you want it to stop.

It's funny..

I assume by the other board you mean GAF.

I have read your other threads periodically and plenty of people have offered their support and help to you.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
My nuanced response is right there. Based on the things you have said on this board you do not seem to be mentally equipped with the necessary tools to deal with this situation in a way that will benefit you. I'm sorry that isn't the answer you're looking for.

Plus, this seems much less about race and more about you feeling disrespected.

But I already did handle the situation in a very legitimate way.

I'm sorry I'm not fitting the strawman you' ve built for me.

It's less of a binary situation, and more of a mixture of race and disrespect.

I just wanted to vent anyway which is what my post history reflects. I think going on the defensive immediately sort of deadened any possibility of someone bringing something insightful to this matter.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will say and do what you let them get away with. You have to check them to let people know when they've overstepped your boundaries otherwise they won't know, especially at the workplace. Talk to him and let him know you don't like it and to stop doing it. If he continues then escalate it to somebody higher to address him.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
within 15 minutes of making the 1st post?
when everything is about race, you've got to work fast

I just wanted to vent anyway which is what my post history reflects. I think going on the defensive immediately sort of deadened any possibility of someone bringing something insightful to this matter.

see? OP has already decided that nobody else could possibly have any useful input or have anything to add.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Without authority you have to leave it up to your chef or manager to resolve this. All you can do in the meantime is tell them that their race-infused banter in a workplace makes you uncomfortable, and keep reporting that they're not pulling their weight if they continue to dodge duties - which it sounds like they're doing from your description of events. There's really no reason he should be bringing up your race at all, or trying to provoke you into using racist language. That is all very unprofessional and your superiors should be doing something about that.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some people, everything is a race issue.

Must be nice to not have to worry about that all the time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without authority you have to leave it up to your chef or manager to resolve this. All you can do in the meantime is tell them that their race-infused banter in a workplace makes you uncomfortable, and keep reporting that they're not pulling their weight if they continue to dodge duties - which it sounds like they're doing from your description of events. There's really no reason he should be bringing up your race at all, or trying to provoke you into using racist language. That is all very unprofessional and your superiors should be doing something about that.
He definitely needs to talk to his coworker first.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility; Previous Infractions for Similar Behavior
Stop being an ass and framing your threads as wanting legitimate help if all you want to do is vent.

Shit is ridiculous

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My advice was it's not in your best interest to confront this person directly. You did not, and let's hope your boss puts an end to the race baiting at the very least - making this person respect you is a whole other kettle of fish that I'm not going to go into.

I promise you I won't offer you advice again.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is probably seconds away from getting locked (like many of your threads do), but OP, just know that there are people who genuinely care about you and if you ever wanna talk over PM or something, I'm down. It's cool that you're reaching out and trying with people (us, in this case, not the co-worker you're ranting about), even if you're kinda clumsy with it. I'm glad to hear you're doing okay.

Don't be a dick, y'know... But, yeah, glad to hear you're okay. Really.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Yeah it's time to go to sleep.

Having a lot of people gang up on you when you're suicidal and suffering from a mental illness is not fun.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't looked at your post history, and im not going to - people want you to go on the defensive and the attitude in this thread is kind of ridiculous.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018

I haven't looked at your post history, and im not going to - people want you to go on the defensive and the attitude in this thread is kind of ridiculous.

Thank you. I felt really hurt by everyone else and your post made me feel a lot better.
Thank you so much.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I have been in you position many times, but nothing about it has ever been about race

literally the same exact position as a cook and working with culinary staffing.

Sometimes it's my job to get the staffing employees up to par on their task.

Most of the time we just tell them to leave if they dont feel like working and most of them just simply walk out.

Race never plays a factor because if anyone isnt doin the job they need? why the fuck are you even there?

I've only had one staffing hire say that I was being racist, and the other staffers that I've worked with before only laughed in his face at the accusation.

How are you going to come to someone else work and then get pissed when they got you peeling potatoes when literally that's the job you've been hired for for the day?

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
I have been in you position many times, but nothing about it has ever been about race

literally the same exact position as a cook and working with culinary staffing.

Sometimes it's my job to get the staffing employees up to par on their task.

Most of the time we just tell them to leave if they dont feel like working and most of them just simply walk out.

Race never plays a factor because if anyone isnt doin the job they need? why the fuck are you even there?

I've only had one staffing hire say that I was being racist, and the other staffers that I've worked with before only laughed in his face at the accusation.

How are you going to come to someone else work and then get pissed when they got you peeling potatoes when literally that's the job you've been hired for for the day?

Yeah okay then it is more common as a restaurant thing cool I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

The race aspect really dumbfounded me.

That's why I brought it up to management as I don't know how to deal with it. I was kind of taking it lightly at first but he keeps bringing it up so I had to confront it.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Lovely how some here are happy to bash the OP due to his post history, but don't seem to realize through said history that he has depression, borderline personality disorder and suicidal tendencies. Very empathetic.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay then it is more common as a restaurant thing cool I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

The race aspect really dumbfounded me.

That's why I brought it up to management as I don't know how to deal with it. I was kind of taking it lightly at first but he keeps bringing it up so I had to confront it.

Oh yeah, I see all types from various staffing agencies.

most of them seem to understand their roles, you are a temporary agent being brought here to do pretty much all the grunt work. We're not gonna trust a green kid from no where with running the al a carte line or plating the banquets for VIPs. So some of them get upset when all they're doing is cutting Jicama (poorly) and bitch about "being a chef, not a prep cook" when they cant even cut fruit properly.

I've had to deal with people just being here because a slot was available and they wanted money so they spend the entire day slacking off or being slow as shit at their job. and in a kitchen time management is extremely important.

Swab

Oct 25, 2017
the most important thing you can do is to talk to him and remember to sit down and LISTEN. working in a restaurant can be very demanding and stressful and I think it would be beneficial to have a discussion about this.

edit: not sure what Etika has to do with this exact situation, tbqh...

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
So he jokes about you have white privilege? Is that it? Well regardless of how hard you work, if you are a white guy, yes you have white privelege, on top of your hard work. You kinda gotta accept that. Being a hard worker doesnt erase your whitw privelege. Having white privelege doesnt erase your being a hard work. Both things can be true.

As for your "supervisor" role, thats bullshit, if you arent getting paid to supervise you should tell them to stick it. If its not in your job description and its causing you strife with your co-workers you should just do what you are paid to do. If the other staff fuck up, let management deal with it. Thats not your job man.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
I think you might be winding yourself up about it too much, talk to the guy and you might see that a resolution will present itself. You will feel better about doing so, and if not, at least you tried.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean many, if not all, things in life are unfortunately impacted by race by consequence of existing in a highly racialize and racist world. And with understanding that comes with also understanding that we all as individuals have our own racial blindspots and such. With that said I think you should simply talk this person and work things out with them.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Honestly that kinda sounds like the reaction I get on Era every time I express the hot take that Joe Rogan isn't a complete scumbag lol

Anywho, as someone who also has mental illness, I've noticed the phenomenon you're talking about IRL myself as well.

So I look pretty creepy IRL possibly due to living through my younger years in an environment that could accurately be described as a modern day Game of Thrones. In my experience I've always found it kinda funny how often many of the most vocal critics of white privilege (especially other educated white liberals who do kinda seem preeeety interested in becoming the young urban professionals of our time, just sayin') had lives that were much more idyllic and, well, far more privileged, than mine in comparison.

Sometimes, especially in recent years, I'll need to use humor in reaction to that and any time anyone tries to bad faith assume me into oblivion without knowing me. When you get better at using humor in reaction to stupidity at some point it can be fun and you connect more and grow as a person. Also maybe keep this in perspective: as annoying as that stuff can be, it's still not nearly as oppressive as systemic, well, oppression is, especially during a time when, y'know, a literal political terrorist with the temperament of a dictator is president.

These are just the times we live in right now. Like everyone else, ya gotta choose your battles, buddy. Ultimately there should be less stupidity and hate from the right, and less hysteria and judgement from the left, and far more empathy and understanding. Then, hopefully, we'll all eventually be as fat and happy as those in the center right now are.

Until then all we can do is make critical thinking skills priority 1, try to be as empathetic as possible, tolerate as little actual bullshit as possible and live through this shitshow together while hopefully maintaining sanity without pissing each other off too much.

Last edited: