• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is bathing with your child no longer appropriate?

• I’d never bathe with my children

Votes: 270 36.2%
  • At 1 year old

Votes: 18 2.4%
  • 2 years old

Votes: 62 8.3%
  • 3 years old

Votes: 78 10.5%
  • 4 years old

Votes: 76 10.2%
  • 5+ years of age

Votes: 163 21.8%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 79 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 27, 2017
Personally think it's gross to be naked in any capaicty with your kids at any age, maybe just me ..

edit - EIGHT YEARS OLD? Complete cause for alarm and borderline social services need to get involved. What are you doing?!!!!

I should add, I don't think you're a predator of any sort and believe it's innocent on your behalf, but this isn't normal or acceptable imo, 8 years old man ...

You're a disgrace. Nothing you ever say on this forum again will ever be worth paying attention to.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing morally wrong with it. Nudity is natural. But I still wouldn't ever be comfortable with doing it simply due to my upbringing.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I put 2. I think that's around when my parents switched from feeling like they need to be present in the bath with me to just "I'm gonna sit on the toilet and make sure you're getting everything done and not drowning". The only thing they really helped with was washing my hair until I was 6 or 7.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I've only did it once or twice when in a hurry (as in no time to bathe the kid first and then take a bath myself afterwards).

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Its your kid, being in the vicinity of your offspring without clothes on does not all of the sudden turn you into a deviant. If the kid wants to take a bath together in the context of just bathing whats the problem now, gotta run some algebra on the age difference? I'm pretty sure I took showers with my parents past 5 y.o. (baths aren't really a thing where I grew up)
This. I think around 7 was when I began showering only by myself.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I don't think you need to bath with a child at all.

Like when they're little and need help sure, help them, but you don't need to get naked and have a shower together. That just seems weird to me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They should be ashamed of their naked body as soon as possible!

Haha, Jesus fucking Christ...................... This forum.. It's shocking sometimes.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
No need to wonder, I think it's safe to say that our cultural upbringing largely shapes our beliefs on this aspect of our lives. I'm sure if you did some digging there'd be papers across sociology or anthropology researching this across different cultures.
It was more meant as some input for thise who claim it's a crime to bath with your child

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm absolutely amazed the never option has so many votes. Like, even when they're a newborn you wouldn't?

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Like, what even is this? People have bathed with their toddlers and small children since the dawn of man. Earlier than that, in fact.
It's fucking weird that people in here seemingly can't separate being with a toddler from some kind of weird sexual context. Gross, tbh.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Misunderstood the prompt. Seeing people here talking about getting naked alongside their kid? Kinda weird imo since my parents never did that but they washed me or at least supervised me up to the age of around 6. Don't think it's necessarily wrong though

I'm absolutely amazed the never option has so many votes. Like, even when they're a newborn you wouldn't?

See I think people are going into this thread with different ideas because the wording is a little misleading. These people would probably wash their newborns but not bathe aka get naked *with* them

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Personally think it's gross to be naked in any capaicty with your kids at any age, maybe just me ..

edit - EIGHT YEARS OLD? Complete cause for alarm and borderline social services need to get involved. What are you doing?!!!!

I should add, I don't think you're a predator of any sort and believe it's innocent on your behalf, but this isn't normal or acceptable imo, 8 years old man ...
Yeah, that's just you.

FOH saying something like that...

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Misunderstood the prompt. Seeing people here talking about getting naked alongside their kid? Kinda weird imo since my parents never did that but they washed me or at least supervised me up to the age of around 6. Don't think it's necessarily wrong though

See I think people are going into this thread with different ideas because the wording is a little misleading. These people would probably wash their newborns but not bathe aka get naked *with* them
But I agree with the previous post - it's weird for me that so many people feel weird about bathing with a newborn. I am not planning to bathe with my kid but bathing with a newborn is *much easier* and fun than bathing them by themselves

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have bathed with my kids at any age, because I've seen the mess shit makes when they do it in the bath.

I bathed/ bathed with my kids up until about five depending on the kid and when they reached the point that I could trust them to get clean on their own.

8 I think is a bit old.

Yeah, probably up to and around 5. I hop in with my girls (22 months and a 3.5 year old) sometimes when they ask, and I will probably when we get to Japan (as the bath is bigger and we'll go to onsens), but I'd say that/when they start wanting independence is a general guideline. My husband gets in with them as well still, and this actually came up the other day. He thought bathing together would go till much later as per what he'd been told from his friends/coworkers in Japan (like, up till teens) and as an American I thought that was hella weird. Haha.

EDIT: What's with all the "I'd never bathe with my kids" votes? Wow.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I'd never have a kid nor planning to but, if I had one, I'd supervise it until he's old enough to:
1. clean himself - at least understand what to do and try to do it
2. not drown himself by accident

Also, I would *never" be physically in the bath with my kid. That'd be VERY wrong.

No it fucking wouldn't lmao
My son is only a little under 2, I take showers/baths with him from time to time and wouldn't mind doing it more often if we had more space and I had more time. They're cool moments to share.
Really not sure when I'd stop, but yeah 8 seems a bit old for my liking. Probably around 4-5

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Terrible idea to ask this on this forum. Too many fucking idiots who think they've got everything figured out and will probably find issue with it.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Imagine being such a damn prude that you won't tolerate any nudity of yourself and your own damn spawn. What the fuck.

Nudity is fucking great and showing kids that their body shouldn't be something they should hide and be ashamed of would improve their upbringing.

The most american thread i've seen in a while. Especially the people thinking it's wrong or 'perverted'. What the fuck are you even implying here!

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
68yoe5ce

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I made my wife stop breastfeeding straight away, can't let my baby see her upper body naked. It'll scar the poor thing for life. Whenever we do bathe, we use burkinis to cover up most of the nasty skin. I've been thinking about using some sort of plastic gloves as well to cover up the hands, don't want to turn them into warped adults after all. Does anyone know what to do with the feet? I've tried socks but they have terrible footfeel being all mushy and soaky.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I don't ever get in the bath with my kids (ages 5 and 2) because we simply wouldn't fit; our bathtub isn't the biggest, and I'm a reasonably tall guy with a bad back, so it's a recipe for disaster.

I'll shower with them fairly regularly, though. I don't see a problem with it. I'd also walk around naked in front of them - in situations where it's reasonable to be naked, of course. My wife will also shower with the kids, although she's less comfortable walking around naked.

As for the cut-off point, it'll come when they're able to take a shower by themselves and do a decent job of washing their hair and body. My daughter's school has a swimming pool, so they have lessons every week - after which they're encouraged to get clean and dry as best as they can without assistance. I think another year or two and she'll be ready to shower alone.

Based on that, I'd say 7 or 8 is a fair age to stop showering with your kids. But even then, I wouldn't want them to feel uncomfortable with their bodies. They're obviously going to want privacy as teenagers, but I'd like it for that to be a quietly confident sort of privacy, where they're happy in their own skin but they recognise that you don't parade it around in front of everyone.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
It's fucking weird that people in here seemingly can't separate being with a toddler from some kind of weird sexual context. Gross, tbh.
This is the crux of it. If you see an adult parent being naked around their young child, who is also naked, as a sexual thing, then the problem is you.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I made my wife stop breastfeeding straight away, can't let my baby see her upper body naked. It'll scar the poor thing for life. Whenever we do bathe, we use burkinis to cover up most of the nasty skin. I've been thinking about using some sort of plastic gloves as well to cover up the hands, don't want to turn them into warped adults after all. Does anyone know what to do with the feet? I've tried socks but they have terrible footfeel being all mushy and soaky.
We stopped with all kinds of in person interaction. We used a machine (can't touch your kids you know) to pick up and move our children into small containers, where they will never have to see another human being (naked or otherwise). In there, we show them abstract shapes that are distinctively non-organic; as well as sounds generated by a deep learning algorithm (gotta avoid that naked human emotion stuff).
You know... we don't want our kids to be warped. Also we're not pedos so the above should be obvious for anyone, and if you're not doing this lemme just say big yiikkkes.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being such a damn prude that you won't tolerate any nudity of yourself and your own damn spawn. What the fuck.

Nudity is fucking great and showing kids that their body shouldn't be something they should hide and be ashamed of would improve their upbringing.

The most american thread i've seen in a while. Especially the people thinking it's wrong or 'perverted'. What the fuck are you even implying here!
It says more about them probably. Maybe they can't imagine being able to control themselves. Thinking the Devil will persuade them into raping their children or some crazy shit like that.
It's absolutely shocking imo. I actually worry about some individuals here. And their parenting skills. Deeply troubled and fucked up.
This goes beyond being prude.

This thread is really something.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I ever have kids I don't plan on bathing with them, I would simply bathe them until they're old enough to do their own thing. Something I'd be concerned about if I was bathing with my 8 y/o kid is them saying something at school or telling their friends, would be embarrassing for them and other parents would probably think it's weird. I'm not surprised his mom got upset because I'd be taken back if someone I personally knew told me they did this.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite photos is of me as a baby, with my brother (3) and my dad all in the tub and covered in bubbles. We aren't 8, obviously, but there is nothing sexual about bathing with your child unless you are a sexual deviant and you make it sexual.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
There was a poster on the previous page who obviously meant well, but then they said they'd showered with their kid... but they'd had to put trunks on to do it.

I mean, fucking hell. I spend a fair bit of time in the States, so I'm inured to a lot of the cultural differences, but this is insane. People have penises and vaginas. Most of the time they use them for going to the toilet, or they're just there, doing nothing. Just because they're also sexual organs doesn't have to make revealing them a sexual thing.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This is one of the worst posts I have seen on ERA, and that's saying something.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I'm a bit of a prude. I don't have kids but I use to work with kids. Never had to bath them , thankfully. Kids do crazy crap like dump off all their clothes and run around naked laughing and screaming. Non of the adults ever made them feel ashamed and neither did I. We would just gather them tell them to get dressed.

If i had my own kids I don't think I would have a problem bathing with them. I guess I would stop when they were 2 or if they could be more independent before that. I never wanted to pass on my hangups to anyone else let alone my own kids.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed. As the rugged northman I am I have to wonder what people on era think about all the times I've been completely naked in a sauna with all manner of different similarly undressed relatives of varying ages and genders back when I was growing up.

Nakedness or intimacy does not have to be sexual in nature, and the fact that people seem to think so absolutely freaks me out. It's honestly disturbing.

Case in point. Social services? Seriously?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
This thread really is a tale of two extremes.

It is in fact entirely rational no matter what country you are from to both understand an adult bathing with or around small child, and also to understand that part of growing up is developing boundaries.

Okay, so you're bathing with your kid, cool awesome do that. But let's follow this logic train. You first needed to do that because bathroom habits were being taught, then it was totally natural and nothing wrong with, and then you're family so it's just nothing, so if it's just nothing why do you need to be naked around an older kid?

That's where I'm at with it. I mean go Finland at all, but there is a reasonable response in between calling someone a pedophile and calling everyone prudes for not rockin' out with their 9 year old in the buff.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
This is a picture from the best childrens film ever made, by one of the greatest animators in history.

b9dd5234-8e30-40a4-9jbk2b.jpeg

It's baffling to me that I feel the need to put an NSFW spoiler tag on it, but I guess that's where we're at.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody:
Resetera: Are you some kind of pervert looking at your naked child! I'm calling the police!

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It says more about them probably. Maybe they can't imagine being able to control themselves. Thinking the Devil will persuade them into raping their children or some crazy shit like that.
It's absolutely shocking imo. I actually worry about some individuals here. And their parenting skills. Deeply troubled and fucked up.
This goes beyond being prude.

This thread is really something.

This. It's really fucked up and completely counter to how kids should be brought up.
The fact that it even conjures up thoughts of a sexual nature really says something about the person.

Nudity =/= sexuality.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a picture from the best childrens film ever made, by one of the greatest animators in history.

b9dd5234-8e30-40a4-9jbk2b.jpeg

It's baffling to me that I feel the need to put an NSFW spoiler tag on it, but I guess that's where we're at.

Get that pedo shit outta here! /s

Lol I knew exactly what scene it was before clicking the link. <3 Totoro

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'd never have a kid nor planning to but, if I had one, I'd supervise it until he's old enough to:

So, I said 2 years old. Before that, I'll have to at least lay an eye often of what's he/she's doing in the bath or even clean 'em when they are less than a year old.

Also, I would *never" be physically in the bath with my kid. That'd be VERY wrong.

There is so much to unpack here. I don't think you even know what a child is, to be honest, and certainly not how they work.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is so much to unpack here. I don't think you even know what a child is, to be honest, and certainly not how they work.
Lmao for real. Thinking a one year old can clean themselves is fucking hilarious. Have they ever seen a baby? They'll just sit in the water like idiots and they'll never get cleaned if a parent like that expected them to clean themselves. I'm dying of laughter here.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
North Americans are a fucking trip. This question obviously varies between child-parent relationships but it essentially comes down to when the child wants the privacy. OP makes it sound like it happens rarely and only when the son asks - how is this anything but OK?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

So, I said 2 years old. Before that, I'll have to at least lay an eye often of what's he/she's doing in the bath or even clean 'em when they are less than a year old.

Lol. You think kids at 2 can clean themselves? Wow. Gave me a good laugh this post. You wash your kids till they are way older than 3 - 5/6 before you can even hope for them to adequately do it themselves and even then you'd need to watch them closely.

As for being in the bath - crazy how many have hang ups - human body is natural. Kids love being in the bath with their parents. Its perfectly normal and people should do it till whenever they think their kid has grown out of it, which will be different ages all round.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If you're open with your kids like that and teach them that nudity is just people without clothes, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd personally be uncomfortable, but that's just American shame.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Like, what even is this? People have bathed with their toddlers and small children since the dawn of man. Earlier than that, in fact.
Well said!

If the idea of a parent bathing with their child grosses some people out then they have issues!

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
ITT: A shit load of people can't understand the difference between bathing your kid and bathing WITH your kid. Lol

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I would never bathe with my children but I also wouldn't judge someone who does. It's just out of my comfort level, probably some weird insecurity. As far as when I'd stop helping them bathe? I guess it depends on their maturity level/smarts/etc. Would take I imagine 7 years+ before I trust them unsupervised.