• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For Switch 2

theyve never upgraded screen res for their handheld iterations and they won't now. It would be nice and it's not 100% impossible but its not something they usually do.

a switch Pro in late 2020-21 is just pointless. It won't help with next gen system ports because games still have to run on 2017 switch

Ideally they focus on making the whole ecosystem cheaper and wait until Switch 2 in fall 2022 or 2023 when 3nm is possible, to give them PS4 level + performance

In 2023 I'd love to see, and think it's possible:

6.5 inch Foldable 1080p screen like foldable Razr (chins on each side can be where Joy Cons rest)
3nm Tegra SOC. 8 cores @2Ghz+, 2TFs+, 8GB+ LPDDR5, 64GB Flash, probably 3-5 hour battery life too.

with a foldable screen, especially one that doesn't crease like the Razr, you basically have a switch and switch lite in one package that actually fits in pockets, more or less

This is so pointless. The Switch already has a PPI of 234 (Lite has 267). That's more than enough for gaming and better than most other displays used for equivalent gaming. A 55-inch 4K TV only has an 80 PPI.

The Switch doesn't ever need to be more than 720p at 6.5 inches.

Oct 27, 2017
What traits, characteristics, or performance will specifically be considered outdated? It looks good now and it will look good then.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Why is 1080p the basic standard? Like people bring up phone screens, how often are you playing a game that is running at 1080p on a phone where you wouldn't rather have a longer battery life instead?

I don't get the argument that it needs to be done "just because" even if I can only play an hour, and not for some compelling game-related reasons.
Because you need to push the industry forward, you don't want to play at 480p right. It would give you better battery and better textures but why don't they do it just because it looks like ass, 720 looks like ass. Eventually we have to want to do better because we can. If they put out a 720p switch 2 and a 1080p switch 2 with worse battery life be honest with yourself what are you gonna buy.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
As a tech enthusiast you might think it's embarrassing but I can guarantee most folks who use the thing don't give a crap or even notice it.
If they put out a 720p switch 2 and 1080p switch 2 with a little worse battery life at the same time which would sell more? Be honest. Regardless of what people think they know of what is good enough it's human nature to want the better version.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because you need to push the industry forward, you don't want to play at 480p right. It would give you better battery and better textures but why don't they do it just because it looks like ass, 720 looks like ass. Eventually we have to want to do better because we can. If they put out a 720p switch 2 and a 1080p switch 2 with worse battery life be honest with yourself what are you gonna buy.

I love bigger numbers because the number is bigger!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If they put out a 720p switch 2 and 1080p switch 2 with a little worse battery life at the same time which would sell more? Be honest. Regardless of what people think they know of what is good enough it's human nature to want the better version.

What if they came out with a 2160p switch with 5 minutes of battery life? Why not push to the moon for the sake of technology?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080p is overkill imo. they should keep the screen at 720p and make the battery last longer. the pixel density is good as it is on the current switch.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I really don't think a 1080p screen of that size is really useful/needed for gaming.
It's cool for video playback sure, but otherwise it's resources wasted.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I love bigger numbers because the number is bigger!
You do though that's the reality. You'd buy the 1080p model. We gotta push the industry forward eventually. Nobody wants to play at 540 or 480p right, you could argue the ppi would be fine. I mean most people use 1080p monitors for their PCs 22 to 24 inches and that is about the same ppi. Yet I don't hear anyone arguing to use 480p or 540p. You probably have or want to buy a 4k tv at some point right. Why isn't 1080p good enough, because we want better.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's not worth it until their games are consistently rendering at 1080p. 720p is closer to the native res of a lot of their games.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I think they meant the Switch family line not this current Switch.
So I expect them to make a Switch 2, 3 and so on like PlayStation.
I disagree with that. Nintendo rarely comments on how long a family of systems will be around if ever. I am not in a position to get the quotes right now but I am fairly sure they meant the current generation of Switch. There is a chance that I am wrong on this but you are the first person I've spoken to that has interrupted them as speaking about the Switch family in terms of multiple generations and not the current generation (ie Switch, Switch Lite, and any other current gen Switch revisions that come).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
They won't move till they get battery performance they want. All their architectures come down to that question what can they do for about 3-6 hours with reasonable performance in low watts.

Besides that factor they won't move off switch till sales slump to a certain point.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
What if they came out with a 2160p switch with 5 minutes of battery life? Why not push to the moon for the sake of technology?
Eventually we should but right now the cons outweigh the pros whereas with 1080p the pros outweigh the cons. Obviously nobody wants to go from 5 hrs of gameplay to 1 hr but 5 to 4 is a sacrifice I'd be willing to make for better quality.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You do though that's the reality. You'd buy the 1080p model. We gotta push the industry forward eventually. Nobody wants to play at 540 or 480p right, you could argue the ppi would be fine. I mean most people use 1080p monitors for their PCs under 24 inches and that is about the same ppi. Yet I don't hear anyone arguing to use 480p or 540p. You probably have or want to buy a 4k tv at some point right. Why isn't 1080p enough, because we want better.

But you sit close enough to a 24-inch monitor to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. The difference between 720p and 1080p at 6.5 inches is so tiny that you don't notice. This is why almost all mobile games run at 720p. People wouldn't notice the increased resolution and it saves battery life.

I'm not making this up. I know marketing makes people think that the bigger number is better, but at a certain point more megapixels won't make your camera better.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
720p is honestly very good. I would sacrifice resolution for better textures and performance at non-docked mode.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I would rather have games looking and performing better at 720p while getting more battery life out of it.
1080p just isnt worth those sacrifices.

A brighter or higher quality screen in general is also something more likely than a resolution bump.

Oct 27, 2017
This is so pointless. The Switch already has a PPI of 234 (Lite has 267). That's more than enough for gaming and better than most other displays used for equivalent gaming. A 55-inch 4K TV only has an 80 PPI.

The Switch doesn't ever need to be more than 720p at 6.5 inches.
It's not going to be pointless in 2023. It has to go up next gen. They've never raised the res for a redesign but they've never not raised it for a whole new generation of handhelds.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Eventually we should but right now the cons outweigh the pros whereas with 1080p the pros outweigh the cons. Obviously nobody wants to go from 5 hrs of gameplay to 1 hr but 5 to 4 is a sacrifice I'd be willing to make for better quality.

That battery life estimate is just a guess, but there are other factors.

How much more money will it take to develop the hardware to run this?
How much more money will it take to develop games?
How much more money will it cost just for the bigger cartridges?
How many more people would buy a switch 2 because the specs are 1080p (I'm not even sure they even advertise what the resolution of the switch screen is)?

If they have a vision for games that can only be accomplished by a 1080p screen, then go for it. But I don't see a ton of people clamoring for it, so unless their next handheld is really far off and technology advances, I don't see the point.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
But you sit close enough to a 24-inch monitor to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. The difference between 720p and 1080p at 6.5 inches is so tiny that you don't notice. This is why almost all mobile games run at 720p. People wouldn't notice the increased resolution and it saves battery life.

I'm not making this up. I know marketing makes people think that the bigger number is better, but at a certain point more megapixels won't make your camera better.
You aren't wrong I agree with most of what you said but 1080p is objectively higher quality at 6.5 inches even Apple who isn't known for pushing the industry forward spec wise for their phones anymore made the move to a higher res on their 6.5 phone because while it isn't super noticeable it's noticeable enough that they were willing to eat the battery cost. Then they work on making it up in other areas, just like Nintendo should. At some point we have to want tech to get better. There's a limit of course though, nobody is saying jump to 4K but 1080p would be noticeable enough. Plus I'd argue that when playing portable switch it's a similar distance to using a pc monitor from your face. Of course it won't be as noticeable because of size but it's definitely noticeable. All I'm saying is which would you buy.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
720p is perfectly fine at the Switch's display size. Dot pitch hits that sweet spot.

Plus you'll get better performance targeting 720p over 1080p on a mobile chipset.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I would have them focus on actually hitting 720p in games first. Switch, just like Vita, is flooded with sub native games that look SAWFT.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
1080p+ screens are great on phones where you are looking for information density and text clarity. When you are playing a video game on a 5.5 inch screen, battery and cooling are going to be WAY more important than more pixels.

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019

Battery life is way more important than anything else to play games on an handfield device. That's one of the main reasons why the Game Boy won the battle at the end

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be pointless in 2023. It has to go up next gen. They've never raised the res for a redesign but they've never not raised it for a whole new generation of handhelds.
ARE EYES GOING TO GET BETTER IN 2023?! What are you talking about?

It doesn't matter what year it is or generations or anything. Your eyes cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080p at 6.5 inches unless you hold the screen right up to your eyeballs, which you wouldn't. If the screen size significantly increases, then maybe. But anything under 8 inches shouldn't go over 720p.

It is physically pointless.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't wrong I agree with most of what you said but 1080p is objectively higher quality at 6.5 inches even Apple who isn't known for pushing the industry forward spec wise for their phones anymore made the move to a higher res on their 6.5 phone because while it isn't super noticeable it's noticeable enough that they were willing to eat the battery cost. Then they work on making it up in other areas, just like Nintendo should. At some point we have to want tech to get better. There's a limit of course though, nobody is saying jump to 4K but 1080p would be noticeable enough. Plus I'd argue that when playing portable switch it's a similar distance to using a pc monitor from your face. Of course it won't be as noticeable because of size but it's definitely noticeable. All I'm saying is which would you buy.

Games don't run at 1080p on iPhone.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin

It doesn't matter what year it is or generations or anything. Your eyes cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080p at 6.5 inches unless you hold the screen right up to your eyeballs, which you wouldn't. If the screen size significantly increases, then maybe. But anything under 8 inches shouldn't go over 720p.

I personally believe at even under 8 inches you can tell 720p to 1080p. Can you tell 1440p or 4k I don't and can't after having tested this on phones with my father before but 720p to 1080 can and is noticeable in the 5 inches to 8 inches range.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I personally believe at even under 8 inches you can tell 720p to 1080p. Can you tell 1440p or 4k I don't and can't after having tested this on phones with my father before but 720p to 1080 can and is noticeable in the 5 inches to 8 inches range.
For web content with lots of scrolling text, sure. For games. No way.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that for future iterations they'll use the extra power to increase frame rate/maintain native resolution(720p).

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Give the successor a 1080p screen.

But if increasing the specs is all they do it's going to be a bummer. Let's hope they continue taking risks with the hardware.

p.s. increasing the screen resolution is not important and I echo others that say battery life is far more important.

Last edited:

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I care more about a reduced bezel and more games hitting native 720p in handheld mode than them jumping to 1080p anytime soon.

If we consider the Switch the 'final' form factor of Nintendo consoles, I do expect a more VR-capable system further down the line in tandem with a much higher res screen.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well, no that's not true. It's easy to see the difference. Whether it's an important enough difference is another matter.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
A 1080p display only makes sense once they can reliably drive it in games (or if it drives down cost due to EoS). The phone comparison doesn't work because most phones don't spend a lot of time rendering complex 3D scenes. The increased PPI is there to enhance the UI, photos, and movies - areas which are largely irrelevant to Nintendo's current product.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No. The trade off in battery life and performance wouldn't be worth it.

It seems like most Switch games rarely get to 720p in portable mode anyway.

Oct 29, 2017
Even if the Switch 2 was 10x as powerful, 1080p would be a waste of resources and a waste of manufacturing budget.

The current PPI is more than good enough. Put the money saved from having a lower resolution screen into a having a better GPU/CPU chipset (or possibly additional features, like putting an active stylus into the box as standard) and put those extra GPU resources into 60FPS and native 720p with enhanced visuals.

The only reason to go any higher is if they want to really push the Switch as a VR device.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know but it would be nice to get out of this "handheld performs like x, tv mode performs like y" paradigm. It would never happen, but allowing me some control over how I choose to use my battery life would be appreciated.

But 720p is fine as is, games just need to (or need to be allowed to) reach it.