• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Let's say we get a Switch Pro next year by end of Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. This single console ends up being equivalent to PS4 specs or higher in docked mode. The battery life is equivalent to Switch V2 in handheld with a 720 screen (or Switch lite if it was using a 1080p screen)

Do you think Nintendo stay with a 720p screen for functional reasons or will it feel a bit outdated in 2020-2022 to have one for you? And remember this is within the specs I just I mentioned above

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
next switch needs to be borderless (or a lot less borders) and the screen at least 1080p
i dont know about switch pro. sounds like something Nintendo wouldnt do

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a Switch Pro happening.

But for their next console a better screen and more 1080p docked games would be welcome.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't see them doing 1080P on their Switch line. Maybe for Switch 2. I think they'll keep the 720P res and just make battery life better for the current generation.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think they will do a Switch Pro. I think Zelda will be their big thing to fight off next gen next year. Hardware is fine but nothing beats an amazing game. As far as a 1080p screen goes, the next gen Switch will probably have one but Nintendo says they want this gen Switch to last a long time so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
1080p for games? How much more would that have to increase their average game budget? I don't think they do it just because, it would have to be a carefully measured decision.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather have a 720p HDR screen for Switch Pro/2. 720p is great enough for handheld gaming, as long as games hit native rez (many of which still don't.)

Oct 25, 2017
720p is totally fine for me on the current screen size so I'm not really fussed, whenever they decide the screen res is keeping them back and won't compromise other aspects of the handheld I guess.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There won't be a Switch Pro. You're trying to ask about a ridiculous hypothetical. "What if we ate food through our butts?"

The next-gen Switch should and likely will move up to 1080p.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd much rather they keep it at 720p, improve overall game performance and framerate(few games can really maintain 720p as is) and spend any extra power on other IQ solutions and improve the battery life. 720p on ~6-7 inch screen is more than adequate.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Honestly, like a good chunk of Switch games (exclusives and ports alike) struggle to maintain even 720p internal res. I assure you 1080p won't make these games look any better until we have better cooling solutions and battery tech for a device of its size (and also price, to be real).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't think you'll get a switch pro by name just a switch 2 but it'd better be 1080p even more importantly though give us a bigger screen by reducing the borders.

Deleted member 59

Switch 2 should stick to 720p handheld. The battery and cooling requirements for 1080p gaming for 4+ hours just aren't there.

Make resolution gains in docked mode, have handheld mode look as good and run as well as possible at 720p.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
There are tons of sub-native games on Switch and you want to bump it to 1080p?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have to wonder how many people are looking at their Switch screens and thinking "God this looks bad", or even "I wish this looked better".

The answer is probably less than 1% of all Switch owners.

I don't think Nintendo is doing to make a move on this front until the current Switch stops selling, or until there's a really strong reason to upgrade. Right now, there isn't one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Native 720p games on Switch look incredible. Successor could stay at 720p and just focus on getting more games to hit it, and i'd be more than happy. Bump up the resolution, you just face more of the same issue we have now.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
As soon as possible and I don't think the screen resolution is the problem. It's the performance of the system is what we all should worry about. Especially for next generation and if we want Nintendo to keep going with its momentum with games like Witcher 3, or the Outer Worlds & Doom. They need to meet the standards of what next generation is bringing.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Current Switch struggles with 720p handheld / 1080p docked. Next revision should probably stick with the same resolution.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If the screen increases to, like, 8 inches. Otherwise, a 1080p screen on a handheld is a complete waste of battery/processing. You won't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on the current-sized screens.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There is 0 point of a 1080p screen on a current generation Switch because barely any demanding games run above 900p docked. For whenever the true Switch successor comes out I can see it havijg a 1080p screen. Even then if its only PS4 level GPU grunt you'll still see lots of sub 1080p games.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Mobile games being millions upon millions of dollars of revenue. So yeah it's not going to burn into oblivion.
It was never about revenue. I said mobile phones with 1080/4k/8k or whatever fancy resolution they have won't be able to run Zelda botw anytime soon. I don't know from where revenue came into conversation

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Not with the next revision that's for sure. I wanna see games running at native resolution consistently before they increase the screen resolution.

Feels like a waste to push resolution of the display when using increased system resources in other areas would be a bigger improvement.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
When the Switch 2 comes out?
Fuck 1080p screen if the games aren't gonna be native res anyways

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
Yeah, I don't think they will do a Switch Pro. I think Zelda will be their big thing to fight off next gen next year. Hardware is fine but nothing beats an amazing game. As far as a 1080p screen goes, the next gen Switch will probably have one but Nintendo says they want this gen Switch to last a long time so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
I think they meant the Switch family line not this current Switch.
So I expect them to make a Switch 2, 3 and so on like PlayStation.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I really think 720p is fine. And it will stay fine because they're definitely not making the screen any bigger or else it might as well become a stationary home console.

I'd rather they keep it like that for future consoles and improve batter life and ergonomics.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Why is 1080p a must for you? Like if it brought battery life to its knees, is that an acceptable compromise?
Yes because regardless of much Nintendo has never been on the cutting edge of tech 1080p is a basic standard at this point and it's embarrassing. I understand the battery argument I do but for those worried about battery life you can either use a portable charger, play docked, or take the 1 hour or so hit. I personally would take the 1 hour or so hit. Phones have been 1080p for like 6 or 7 years TVs well over 13 years other consoles are moving to 4K Nintendo should move to 1080p, I think it's reasonable.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't believe we'll ever get a Switch Pro. The next system is probably going to be Switch 2. Hopefully around 2022. And I hope they'll stick to 720p screen, games on the Switch screen look amazing, so no need to increase it when games will look/run even better in the future. Especially if you consider that it will cost battery life.

I'd say stick to 720p screen with better contrast/brightness for better outdoor play (don't know if I'd want an OLED screen because of burn in). Have games run on 1080p on a big screen with a high frame rate. Hopefully the next Switch will be able to achieve PS4/X1 level of performance power.

Oct 27, 2017
For Switch 2

theyve never upgraded screen res for their handheld iterations and they won't now. It would be nice and it's not 100% impossible but its not something they usually do.

a switch Pro in late 2020-21 is just pointless. It won't help with next gen system ports because games still have to run on 2017 switch

Ideally they focus on making the whole ecosystem cheaper and wait until Switch 2 in fall 2022 or 2023 when 3nm is possible, to give them PS4 level + performance

In 2023 I'd love to see, and think it's possible:

6.5 inch Foldable 1080p screen like foldable Razr (chins on each side can be where Joy Cons rest)
3nm Tegra SOC. 8 cores @2Ghz+, 2TFs+, 8GB+ LPDDR5, 64GB Flash, probably 3-5 hour battery life too.

with a foldable screen, especially one that doesn't crease like the Razr, you basically have a switch and switch lite in one package that actually fits in pockets, more or less

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Yes because regardless of much Nintendo has never been on the cutting edge of tech 1080p is a basic standard at this point and it's embarrassing. I understand the battery argument I do but for those worried about battery life you can either use a portable charger, play docked, or take the 1 hour or so hit. I personally would take the 1 hour or so hit. Phones have been 1080p for like 6 or 7 years TVs well over 13 years other consoles are moving to 4K Nintendo should move to 1080p, I think it's reasonable.
As a tech enthusiast you might think it's embarrassing but I can guarantee most folks who use the thing don't give a crap or even notice it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, with the next console. I don't see them making a Switch Pro any time soon, definitely not in 2020 because we would have had some rumours/leaks about it by now.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Why is 1080p the basic standard? Like people bring up phone screens, how often are you playing a game that is running at 1080p on a phone where you wouldn't rather have a longer battery life instead?

I don't get the argument that it needs to be done "just because" even if I can only play an hour, and not for some compelling game-related reasons.