• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
There's only one "Zelda-killer" on Genesis and it's Landstalker. Not surprising that most people actually remember that game, and it's the one that you can buy on Steam now. Sega remembers what is worth remembering.

Yes Landstalker is a genuine masterpiece if you can get used to the high difficulty.

Some of the most insane dungeon design I've seen in an ARPG. I'm thinking of Mir's Tower and the Lake Shrine with 60+ rooms, many of which contained unique puzzles, all interconnected via teleportation pads. A completely different design philosophy to most Zelda dungeons, but really gave you the feeling of being hopelessly lost in a huge labyrinth. It's fantastic, I love it.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, this week Sega should reveal the next batch of Genesis Classic games or what

I hope Soleil and Landstalker make it.

Currently playin Story of Thor and it's pretty solid

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like looking a lot like Zelda might've undersold this one.

Sega did a make a ton of those clones to counter Nintendo, so it had a harder time standing out.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm extremely happy people are finally looking more into this game. I played a lot when I was a kid, granted it was not during the Genesis' heyday and it was via an emulator which is a little naughty, but still: absolutely fantastic game. Looking back, if they made this a little more open world like Link to The Past I actually think this would have been hailed as the superior game. I'd love to see a game that takes a lot of these same concepts and improves on it because as much as I love Zelda, this one just has some much stronger ideas. Also getting to the top of the Tower of Babel and actually getting to heaven? That was the coolest feeling a game has ever given me.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about this game in a magazine back in the 90s - maybe it was Gamefan or Sega Visions or something like that. Always wanted to play it...I guess I'll give it a try. I love reading these threads, OP!

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
It's Nintendo's biggest issue overall, where it pertains to narrative. Granted, they tend to gravitate towards idealist stories that can be easily comprehended by children and it's not as if Zelda hasn't ever touched on these topics itself but not to a degree that it's changed much. It does make me wonder if they're aware of their overwhelming pro-imperial messaging?
I wonder if this is a "Grand Theft Auto" situation where people just play games they find fun regardless of whether or not they would do the actions in the games in real life. Now, you're not hitting prostitutes with cars, but it's not really all that nice to kill vaguely-societal goblins, or even to say that "Moblins only rise to serve their evil master", is it? Not to mention both religious AND atheist people would have an issue with the religious themes ("Hylia doesn't qualify to be a true god"/"If Hylia is good, she'll won't mind if I opt out of the worship stuff")

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I wonder if this is a "Grand Theft Auto" situation where people just play games they find fun regardless of whether or not they would do the actions in the games in real life. Now, you're not hitting prostitutes with cars, but it's not really all that nice to kill vaguely-societal goblins, or even to say that "Moblins only rise to serve their evil master", is it? Not to mention both religious AND atheist people would have an issue with the religious themes ("Hylia doesn't qualify to be a true god"/"If Hylia is good, she'll won't mind if I opt out of the worship stuff")
Wow people are taking this stuff seriously.

Last i heard Moblins were like orcs in LotR, they were created by Demise and attacked Hyrule on Minish Cap, they are more like fantasy monsters and less a race or civilization. Demise wanted the power of the Triforce to kill people and do evil things

Oct 27, 2017
I will remember this game as the last super hype vigil I held for a Genesis game.

After Ranger X, their previous game, I was looking forward to their next game and Gamefan was doing their best to make sure we in the West knew Centy was on the way.

Funny though, I had really stopped engaging on the whole console wars thing by the time Centy hit. I just remember enjoying it, short as it seemed. What did end up happening to Gau/Nextech?

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. This looks like it would've been an amazing game to play! Sad I never heard of it til now. :/

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
This actually sounds pretty dope. It's probably been asked already, but is there any way to play the game nowadays? Via emulator? I'm not really familiar with Genesis emulation.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega may have gone for the jugular with all those Zelda-likes, but Nintendo was like

giphy.gif

BTW I've loved every single "issue" of your Sega Obscura series. This is the kind of content I expect from professional gaming sites but seldom get. Amazing work!
Cant get over this gif.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Really wish Sega had made a 3D Zelda clone (something like Ocarina, Majora or Twilight). Would probably be really amazing.

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, thanks for the nice comments on the thread, really glad I was able to draw more attention to this fantastic game.

I'm not sure making a game that failed to resonate with a wide enough audience and hence never getting a sequel, spinoff, or even a proper port to any future system, is really considered "going for the jugular". A more apt phrase to for this game is "You come at the king, you best not miss". Unfortunately for all their best intentions, the game did miss the audience and hence is largely forgotten until brought up again in threads like this that deal with obscure and forgotten games.

Sorry that the truth hurts, but Zelda takes no prisoners. This game is not bad though.

There's a few comments along these lines, so I'll try to clarify here. By "going for the jugular", I was trying to build on the point in the OP, that Crusader of Centy sought to challenge Zelda on a narrative and trope level - it deconstructed underlying assumptions about the Zelda formula, provoking questions as to the morality of the genre as a whole. It went for the jugular of Zelda, not Zelda's success - if that makes sense?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that we're getting Bloodlines on the Mini gives me hope for Crusader of Centy. I really hope they focus more on the rare/obscure titles that are a pain to find these days (especially ones that haven't been re-released at all since their original release), rather than the games we see on basically every Sega collection.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Apparently SEGA contracted this out to Nextech, a la Nintendo contracting out Minish Cap to CAPCOM.

Has SEGA rereleased any other contracted-out games, especially those that aren't in the Sonic series? I've the suspicion that it not having a personal attachment to any SEGA execs or teams who could reminesce about it may have led to it just staying on Mega Drive forever.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently SEGA contracted this out to Nextech, a la Nintendo contracting out Minish Cap to CAPCOM.

Has SEGA rereleased any other contracted-out games, especially those that aren't in the Sonic series? I've the suspicion that it not having a personal attachment to any SEGA execs or teams who could reminesce about it may have led to it just staying on Mega Drive forever.
Yeah, in recent years, Sega has re-released Genesis/Mega Drive games developed by Treasure, Westone, Ancient, Novotrade, Compile, etc..

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Fantastic thread, as always, Mama Robotnik. These threads have had me discover games that would have never been on my radar otherwise, and I would have been worse off if that continued.

The Bible: "The Moabites and Canaanites are evil! God says to slaughter them all to protect His chosen people!"
Zelda: "Ganon and his legions of demons are evil! Hylia says to slaughter them all to protect her chosen kingdom!"

I'm surprised that people are self-aware enough to note the problems with the former scenario but not the latter. I mean, I don't think Undertale's combat is that fun, but it had a point in "You're just going to do ANYTHING in a game that you wouldn't do in real life if it's fun to do, aren't you?"
That's... not at all comparable. Hylia wasn't a thing during most Zelda games. The game that introduced Hylia even had a demon not being evil and just wanting to coexist, so that entire concept is bunk. And again, this is missing how Zelda titles, even Zelda titles that released before this game had monsters and demons interacting peacefully with your player character in multiple settings, from Moblins hiding in caves to friendly-ish Zoras trading flippers, from mischievous devils that do you favours in the guise of curses to Chain Chomps depicted as friendly pets.

Zelda has never been about moral absolutism, except with Ganon as Calamity and the other incarnations of Demise. Even then, an aspect of Ganon, Gandorf, gets explored, light as it may be, as a character in The Wind Waker where it's revealed that his initial impetus to become the dreaded Bandit King during the Era of the Hero of Time was his jealousy of the Hyrulean's prosperity and good lands.

The idea that in the Zelda series there's even an inkling of a crusade against demons or monsters sounds... off at best. The setting of The Legend of Zelda is not like most (Japanese) fantasy-adventure settings, where there's regular subjugations of monsters or even a constant struggle against the untamed wilds or whatever.

IDK, I digress.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Thank you OP for making me remember this game. I rented it many times when I was younger and completely forgot about it. It's time to track down this baby...