• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
It's taken me waaaaaay to long to understand this, I feel like this important fact is glossed over in tutorials šŸ˜‘

Always had trouble with the string muting just placing the tip of the finger on the string, which is what they all say. Yes you need to use the tip, but you also need to press the string all the way down with your finger so it touches the neck of the guitar. Though I am by no means doing this perfectly yet, but it's a start.

Anyone else struggle with this?

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
When you start barring chords, try to use the side of your finger, rather than the flat bottom.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
You can experiment with your previous technique to make harmonics. Maybe start right over the 5th or 12th fret, those should be relatively easy. Some frets work better than others, and some places not directly over frets can give you cool tones too.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I never struggled to understand it, but when I was younger I physically struggled to do it on acoustic guitars, but then I got an electric, and eventually I discovered that you can buy different types of strings which change how easy or hard it is to press down, which is useful for differences in picking and bending.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I suck at harmonics. No luck with freehand mutes either, palm mutes are ok though. However I'm a bass player so slightly different mechanics here XD. Still a newcomer myself

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
don't press too hard tho
J9cvyFf.gif

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
/\
Exactly this.

You don't push all the way down. You'll bend your notes out of tune. You'll probably end up with hand and wrist pains and issues in the long run also. You push down just as hard as you need to to get the notes to ring out.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
First time I picked up a guitar, I put my fingers right on the frets themselves. Took a surprisingly long time to figure out why it kept rattling.

Oct 26, 2017
you don't want to press full force either, otherwise your pitch will be all over the place and you'll tire your hands real fast

try this exercise to "get" the correct amount of pressure required : place your left index finger over the fifth fret of any string (or just behind the fret, you get me), as if you were about to play the note. then start picking with your right hand and veeeery slowly lower your left hand finger. listen to the sounds produced, until you have a clean note. that's when the fret acts properly as a fulcrum. too little pressure and you will get a nasty buzzing sound, too much and the note will go sharp.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
If you're muting you don't want to press it down though. Sounds like you're mixing things up a bit here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you're muting you don't want to press it down though. Sounds like you're mixing things up a bit here.

I think they are saying not pushing down hard enough is muting the strings, not that they are trying to mute the strings.

I struggle with the fact that I think my fingers are too thin and wont stretch enough.

Everyone thinks their hands/fingers are an issue. Too big, too small, too crooked, blah blah blah. You'll find plenty of professional, insanely good, guitarists with all types. It just takes practice. Short of an actual physical disability of some sort, your hands are fine.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I think they are saying not pushing down hard enough is muting the strings, not that they are trying to mute the strings.

Everyone thinks their hands/fingers are an issue. Too big, too small, too crooked, blah blah blah. You'll find plenty of professional, insanaly good, guitarists with all types. It just takes practice. Short of an actual physical disability of some sort, your hands are fine.

Ahhh yep you're right haha. My bad.

Oct 26, 2017
I struggle with the fact that I think my fingers are too thin and wont stretch enough.
unless you have a legit medical issue with your hands, you're probably fine. we got kids with mad skills all over the internet.

though there's a lot of bad teachers out there too, who have no idea about the minute mechanical detail of playing. if you're kinda clumsy and not particularly in sync with your body, that doesn't help for sure, but it's not a death sentence by any mean.

edit: damn, hero of the day with the quickness

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
Everyone thinks their hands/fingers are an issue. Too big, too small, too crooked, blah blah blah. You'll find plenty of professional, insanely good, guitarists with all types. It just takes practice. Short of an actual physical disability of some sort, your hands are fine.
unless you have a legit medical issue with your hands, you're probably fine. we got kids with mad skills all over the internet.

though there's a lot of bad teachers out there too, who have no idea about the minute mechanical detail of playing. if you're kinda clumsy and not particularly in sync with your body, that doesn't help for sure, but it's not a death sentence by any mean.
Yeah I know you're right. I need to stick to some kind of proper guide to learning, I've just always jumped straight into trying to learn parts of songs I like, which is fun, but not helpful with needing to know about how and where to put my fingers for chords and stuff.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I suck at harmonics. No luck with freehand mutes either, palm mutes are ok though. However I'm a bass player so slightly different mechanics here XD. Still a newcomer myself
The trick with harmonics is to lift your finger quickly after making the sound. It's that little quick lift that allows the sound you make to ring out.

I was awful at harmonics and I just drilled the above and now I can nail them. If I can, I bet you can!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know you're right. I need to stick to some kind of proper guide to learning, I've just always jumped straight into trying to learn parts of songs I like, which is fun, but not helpful with needing to know about how and where to put my fingers for chords and stuff.

I split my time in half. First half of my practice is exercises. Second half is learning new songs. After my time is up, I play a song or two I already know. Usually play one before I start also, but depends on time.

Just pick the amount of time you can do a day, and do it. Even if it is only 15 a day, do 15 a day. That is better than doing 30 minutes one day and zero the next.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
/\
Exactly this.

You don't push all the way down. You'll bend your notes out of tune. You'll probably end up with hand and wrist pains and issues in the long run also. You push down just as hard as you need to to get the notes to ring out.
You do press all the way down... The notes won't ring out properly unless they are fully down.

What you do not do is apply to much pressure /once/ they are down or the strings will bend out of alignment, you will harm your joints and hand over time, etc...

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yup, always press down, if it's too hard I recommend getting your guitar's action (the height between the string and the fretboard) down, I had an epiphone EJ that out of the box was really hard to play. I also bought a Taylor GS Mini which, Out of the Box has such high action that I wonder how so many people play it like it's nothing, and I've been playing guitar for years, I'm used to the force. Keep in mind that too much force will harm you, and if it's a soft/low action guitar like my PRS for instance you might end up accidentally bending a lot, which happens to me sadly

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's so hard getting started, but becomes so rewarding when you stick with it.

It also makes learning other instruments easier after you've learned one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeh as above, if you have a cheaper guitar especially, then getting the action lowered and having it all set up can really help.

The more you pay the less of this kind of thing you need to do.

And I would personally always learn on a steel string acoustic as it is the hardest to learn on, that way when you move to a classical guitar with nylon strings or an electric it can feel like training wheels coming off. If you do it another way around, you will have to learn to press harder twice or even more.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
I picked up a guitar in July, and made learning my pandemic project. I'm really glad I did, even though I've stalled out a bit on my progress, mostly because my work and family schedule makes it hard for me to play more than 30-40 mins per day, and I miss 1-2 days a week. Wish I could get better faster, but don't see it happening anytime soon, alas.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You do press all the way down... The notes won't ring out properly unless they are fully down.

No, you don't. You push the string down hard enough to make it rest on the fret, which is where the note is produced, not at your finger on fretbaord. I bet if you went and grabbed a guitar and looked at your natural playing without thinking about it, you would be surprised to realize that you don't push the string down to the fretboard.

Even without a guitar in hand, think about the open notes. If what you are saying was correct, how would they ring out? They are obviously not being pushed down into any wood. But, they are pulled down by the tuning posts enough to rest on the nut, which is where the note is made. And that's all you're doing when you put your finger down; pushing the string enough to make the fret in front of it become the new "nut".

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You actually want to be directly above the fretbar. Not the middle of the fret.

Most people over compensate by pressing down way too hard on the middle or way above the fretbar and will easily get burnt out.

Good example:
images

Electric guitars setup with a nice low action are a breeze to play. That's my preference. Some people like a higher action and I will never understand them lol Low as can go without buzzing and then back off slightly.

Source: Guitar player for 12 years.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The trick with harmonics is to lift your finger quickly after making the sound. It's that little quick lift that allows the sound you make to ring out.

I was awful at harmonics and I just drilled the above and now I can nail them. If I can, I bet you can!
Hah, slap is my true foe... then again I've only been learning for 6 months, just need to put more time into it and stretching my fingers for a proper 4 fret spread

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
At the start of my very first guitar lesson, I told my teacher that I thought my new guitar might be broken as when I put my finger on the string, it doesn't make a nice sound - just a muted 'thunk'.

I showed him what I was doing, and he reached over and pressed my fingers down until they touched the fret board. It was quite uncomfortable, and then he said "try it now". Lo and behold, the note rang true.

That was 27 years ago and while I take stuff like that for granted now, we all started like that once. Good luck on your musical journey, your efforts at the beginning will bring you enjoyment and satisfaction a thousand fold!

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
If you're pressing the string down until it touches the fretboard (wood), then yeah, you are pressing WAY too hard.

Fretting happens when the string is pressed against the metal fret firmly enough to where the string can only ring between that fret and the bridge of the guitar. If you're doing that and it's not ringing out, either your strings are too high gauge (stiff) or your guitar isn't set up properly. (or worse, you have fret issues)

Also: it's "significantly" harder to fret strings/chords on an acoustic guitar than an electric guitar. I recently picked up a nice beginner/mid level acoustic last year since I hadn't owned one since highschool, and had completely forgotten the difference in the feel. Harder to fret bar chords, harder to make sure all notes in a chord ring out, etc.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I first learned to play guitar, 15ish years ago, a friend told me "you have to press the string down harder than you think." It was great advice. Once you're seasoned it feels like nothing, but as a novice it feels like a lot of pressure for your callous-free fingers.

(Learned on accoustic, primarily play accoustic except now my favorite guitar is my 3 year olds 3/4s classical guitar, which is a joy to play with the nylon strings and low action)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, you don't. You push the string down hard enough to make it rest on the fret, which is where the note is produced, not at your finger on fretbaord. I bet if you went and grabbed a guitar and looked at your natural playing without thinking about it, you would be surprised to realize that you don't push the string down to the fretboard.

Even without a guitar in hand, think about the open notes. If what you are saying was correct, how would they ring out? They are obviously not being pushed down into any wood. But, they are pulled down by the tuning posts enough to rest on the nut, which is where the note is made. And that's all you're doing when you put your finger down; pushing the string enough to make the fret in front of it become the new "nut".
I just read your comment wrong somehow.

You don't press down to the fretboard, of course.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
All these comments saying you don't need to press the string down until it hits the fretboard - this is technically true, but I don't understand how this would work in practice. What guitar are you playing where you don't need to do this? How high is the action? I mean, to press the string down to a place where it hits the fret (and therefore rings out properly) but doesn't hit the fretboard... that just seems crazy high action to me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
All these comments saying you don't need to press the string down until it hits the fretboard - this is technically true, but I don't understand how this would work in practice. What guitar are you playing where you don't need to do this? How high is the action? I mean, to press the string down to a place where it hits the fret (and therefore rings out properly) but doesn't hit the fretboard... that just seems crazy high action to me.
It rests between the frets and there's a moment of tension before you touch the fretboard itself where it will comfortably sit with a nice, strong, even amount of pressure.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

What does action have to do with what you are saying? The distance between the tip of the fret and the fretboard doesn't change with your string height.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
What does action have to do with what you are saying? The distance between the tip of the fret and the fretboard doesn't change with your string height.
The fret height affects the distance between the strings and the fret board. I guess "action" is probably the wrong word here - what I mean is that if you can press down on a string so that the string hits the fret but not the fretboard (where your finger is pressing down), then that sound like you've got really high frets.

It always feels like I'm pushing down the string hard enough that the string (and my finger) are touching the fretboard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The fret height affects the distance between the strings and the fret board. I guess "action" is probably the wrong word here - what I mean is that if you can press down on a string so that the string hits the fret but not the fretboard (where your finger is pressing down), then that sound like you've got really high frets.
This is just how guitars work :p

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It always feels like I'm pushing down the string hard enough that the string (and my finger) are touching the fretboard.

Yeah, it's just in your head. I guarantee when you pick up a guitar, you will discover you don't actually push to the fretboard.

Here's my 2019 Taylor 717, so fairly high end acoustic and fairly new with just about zero fretware, and a higher res picture of my finger than anyone should ever be subjected to:

Pretty awkward hand positioning, as I was focused on trying to capture the string distance. But, that is at pretty normal feeling pressure and the note rings out loud and clear.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
This is one of those threads where I want to respond right away, but I want to read the other responses first before I respond.. and I haven't done that yet.