• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can a stranger easily pronounce your name after reading it?

• Yes ("Sung-won?")

Votes: 70 30.2%
  • No ("Sang-Wan?")

Votes: 104 44.8%
  • Not even when I tell them exactly how to say it ("Soodge-Win?")

Votes: 58 25.0%

• Total voters

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most americans don't speak french so my last name is always mispronounced. I've made peace with that.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing like someone reading your name on your door, mispronouncing your name, you correcting them and then them doing that same shit 2 days later. How?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm white, but I have a Scottish last name that's like a dozen letters long and no one can ever read or spell it unless i tell them how lol

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Good reminder not to tell the forum your name. I wouldn't want to give out such private information.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
People always think my name is Julio or something even there is no U or O in it all and get it wrong. Its happened so much that when I meet new people, I just tell them the first part of my name from now on.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It was only after I gave up expecting people to say my last name correctly and switched over to saying how it's spelled when apparently the entire world got the memo on cultural awareness and started saying it correctly 🙄

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Last name's of irish descent. Not had much issue with people mispronouncing it. But on at least on occasion, someone over the phone made the assumption it was hispanic in origin, and pronounced it as such.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
My name ends in a hard consonant which is impossible for Japanese to say properly. An -o or -u sound always gets added at the end. Really I don't care though. Now I just say the Katakana version of my name but then some realize its the Katakana version and ask what it really is in English then even after I tell them they still can't say it -_-

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a Haitian American, but have a very Spanish first name and French last name. Almost everyone pauses and waits for me to eventually pronounce it for them. For those that don't get it, I normally tell them to pronounce me by the first letter of my name, or a one syllable shorthand version of my full name.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont care to hide my first name as it's my handle. I get Gee-On Carlo all the time. I say sure close enough.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a fkn British name and people can't even pronounce it.

Must be crazy annoying for anyone with a non-British name out there...

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It's driving me nuts that people give their children English names but pronounce it German. (Martha, David, ...)

And then you have parents who give their child foreign names and complain they are mispronounced but cant pronounce it themselves.

I truly thought a child was called "Late" because the mother called him that all the time. Some colleagues called another "Monda".

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I have a gringo name and am moving soon to a SE Asian country and everyone I know there pronounces it wrong but it doesn't bother me at all. At least they know my name. Meanwhile in US for my entire life when telling someone my name they repeat back to me a completely different name 2 or 3 times

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry about that. I don't feel comfortable posting my name or asking people to post theirs. I've seen at least a couple people on this site talk about receiving harassment for the things they post here.
I get not wanting to post yours but I did also find what seemed like a demand not to post actual names funny. it would make it impossible for me to post in the topic! not that I run into the issue often.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I have a common, easy-to-say white person name. My full name is just a few letters off from a famous singer though, so rather than mispronounce my name people just forget it and say the singer instead.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
People don't have trouble with my given name. People may have trouble spelling my surname, lol.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Kinda off topic but IDK why but I find confusing how the English language uses the "J" words with a soft pronunciation when it comes to Spanish in a very inconsistent manner.

My full name has 3 Js and a G and a lot of US and UK customers say my name in different ways. I just tell them to call me by a nickname.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Korean American, adopted when I was approximately 6 months old and my adoptive parents decided to keep my birth name rather than giving me an Americanized first name. People have trouble pronouncing my first name despite pronouncing it for them.

What's rather interesting is my Google Pixel 3 XL can pronounce my first name perfectly.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I've had people mispronounce my first name, which is weird because it's a decently common name and one of the more common spellings.

My last name, I could understand getting it wrong, but it's specifically how most people get it wrong that bothers me. For some reason, a lot of people view the last letter as a capital "I" rather than a lower case "L," it's baffling.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I've got a German last name that becomes a common English noun if you remove one consonant. I used to correct people but I got tired of it. They just can't see the extra letter. Now I just let people call me whatever the hell they want. I know what they mean.
Yup . Belgian name in Canada . Fuck it.
Shortened it for good email addresses though

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
/sighs
Nope.
I blame my parents.

Edit: First and last names are fucked. My parents didn't even bother giving me a middle name. I guess they figured I'd already be fucked enough.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
My last name is Croatian and like

Just pronounce it like it looks, it's fucking phonetic

But noooooooo

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just today some visitor couldn't pronounce my name after repeated attempts. I gave up correcting anyone at the age of 10 cause ain't nobody got time for that. I've been yelled at as an adult for not telling someone they had been saying it wrong for months/years, but I told them they were some decades late in meeting me. Oh well, at least there's one dude who will never find me with legal documents because he got my name THAT wrong.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
People can't get my last name right to save their lives, even with it being spelled with 3 common words and its pronounced by just saying them in order. But nope they want to add letters and think some syllables are silent.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
English speakers usually can't. I'm fine with them mispronoucing it, but a lot of times they'll straight up change it to another, similar name.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Indian name that shortens into something monosyllabic enough for most Americans to pronounce it.

shoutout to my Indians with the 10+ letter long names or just plain unfortunate ones e.g. Shithi.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I have a Spanish name. My first name and first surname aren't uncommon in Spanish but English speakers 99.99% of the time butcher both. Pretty annoying at times. My second surname is pretty prevalent in English media so that's easier for people.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Native Spanish speakers almost always have major trouble pronouncing my name, but it's no problem for anyone else.
The 'd' sound becomes a 't' sound.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
People misspell my first name a lot because I use a less common shortened version (which makes more sense but hey!) than most. My last name is alphabet soup: Six vowels and three consonants. My partner's is six consonants and no vowels. I always told her this is why we were meant to be together.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a white guy with a white name, but I happen to have both a first and last name that's uncommon. My first name is uncommon, and my last name is EXTREMELY uncommon. There's basically a couple hundred people in America with my last name last I tried to check. However, they're both really similar to fairly common names, basically one letter off. So occasionally I'll tell someone my name and they don't fucking believe me. They like try to correct me. On my own name. I don't really give af when people make mistakes, forget, whatever, that doesn't bother me. It's just when I correct them and they look at me like I'm frying their goddamn brain.