• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think Switch next gen will release

• March 2023

Votes: 54 3.4%
  • Holiday 2023

Votes: 140 8.8%
  • March 2024

Votes: 374 23.5%
  • Holiday 2024

Votes: 469 29.5%
  • March 2025

Votes: 195 12.2%
  • Holiday 2025

Votes: 193 12.1%

Votes: 167 10.5%

• Total voters

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 DLC instead of MK9 makes me think MK9 is a title for next gen. If that's true, then next-gen is about two years away. Two years is a lot longer than ya'll think.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo officially designates 2020 sales as an anomaly related to the pandemic and the perfect timing of the release of Animal Crossing as a cultural zeitgeist, so even though it will almost certainly be the peak, it's basically a unique outlier relative to the sales trends that even Nintendo acknowledges does not reflect the usual expectations. The decline is mostly centered around that and then exacerbated by a chip shortage that would seriously impact a new console.

I also think viewing systems as the money makers and not the software and services is a mistake people are also making here. With the insane attach rates of the Switch and major software still pumping massive numbers, they're still enjoying an extremely hefty profit from the Switch and still outpacing what would be their competitors on most levels. I look at the Switch as much more similar to the Game Boy or the Nintendo DS than I do the home consoles, and thus, I expect it's life span to be a very similar 7 full years with not much incentive for Nintendo to push the new system up outside of enthusiasts hoping for some better resolution and frame rates. Systems are a gateway to income for the console manufacturers, less so on their own, and the more the attach rate holds or even increases, the less incentive they have for a new system as soon as possible.

I expect Switch to have a 10 year life cycle, but "life cycle" doesn't end just because the successor system releases.

Even the 3DS got what? 8 or 9 years of support?

There's no reason why you would cut Switch support regardless of when the "next chipset iteration" comes.

The other difference today is with only one hardware line I think Nintendo is more sensitive to declining sales. In the past it didn't really matter if Game Boy sales declined or had rough patches (SNES cushioned declining Game Boy sales) because there was a console division to create boosts in their overall hardware forecast and vice versa (DS introduced in 2004 boosted Nintendo during sluggish GameCube sales).

They don't have this dynamic any more, so it will be interesting to see what level of decline they are comfortable with. Companies don't get to dictate this stuff on their own, the consumer has a large say in the end with their buying patterns.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think it's just a sales person thing to say so that people don't stop buying your existing product. Switch may be around for a while but that doesn't mean a new iteration is a year or two off from release IMO.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
2025 at the earliest. The switch is selling well. There's a chip shortage for years to come. Software is selling in its millions. The pandemic is raging. Why rock the boat.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been messing about with a Switch for the first time and some games like Mario odyssey look fine on a tv but holy shit some games look rough as hell.

This thing will be on its deathbed in 3 years.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Early 2025 would be my guess

Mario Kart DLC, Splatoon 3 + DLC, BOTW2 and MP4 to carry the system until then

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

For the 11.5% of the people that voted 2023, I made a little ASCII infographic to visualize it. It could still happen, which would suggest Nintendo lied about it being half way.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

For the 11.5% of the people that voted 2023, I made a little ASCII infographic to visualize it. It could still happen, which would suggest Nintendo lied about it being half way.

I'm sure people understand they just don't want it to be true ^^

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

Alternatively a successor / new iteration could come and they wouldn't have lied at all.

2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"
2023 - Pro / Successor Console released, limited like PS5/XSX
2024 - Maybe this year
2025 - This year at a push and I would suggest they've fucked the brand by this point. Being 2 gens behind after the competition moved on 3+ years ago clearly unacceptable
2027 - OG Switch shipments cease if brand wasn't already terminal / dead sooner

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alternatively a successor / new iteration could come and they wouldn't have lied at all.

2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"
2023 - Pro / Successor Console released, limited like PS5/XSX
2024 - Maybe this year
2025 - This year at a push and I would suggest they've fucked the brand by this point. Being 2 gens behind after the competition moved on 3+ years ago clearly unacceptable
2027 - OG Switch shipments cease if brand wasn't already terminal / dead sooner
I also hope to see a Switch Pro come out soon. However, I do not consider it the Switch 2/Successor. I hope they consider letting the Switch brand continue in a form similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

I don't think you understand how console life cycles work if you seriously took half way literally.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

Fun fact: A system's life cycle does not end the moment its successor is released.

We're almost a year and a half from the release of the PS5 and Sony's still releasing several major PS4 games through the end of the year.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I voted holiday 2023 but honestly I think they've put it on the back burner until necessity dictates or the chip crisis eases up. What can they even do? They might have some great design made and ready to go but if they can't make the units to meet even a tepid demand it will be pointless to release it.

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
Nintendo has just released the OLED Switch. It has already sold over 100 million consoles and it is still selling. Nintendo hit the jackpot with the Switch, and it will probably hold to it as much as it can.

The Switch was a great idea from Nintendo. You see, Nintendo released the Wii and it was a huge success. It tried to repeat the formula with the Wii U and it bombed. The DS was very successful as well, but its successor 3DS, did not manage to reach the same heights.

Nintendo is making a lot of money selling games for the Switch. Many of them managed to sell over 10 million copies, including the recently released Pokemon which sold that in less than a month. The Switch is a gold mine. Nintendo does not have to make money from console sales; it may keep adding new titles to the Switch as long as people keep buying them. And, because of the console sales, there is a huge base of buyers for Switch games.

I suppose Nintendo will not trade that for the uncertainty involved in launching a new console. Nintendo is not competing with Sony and Microsoft to deliver the ultimate graphical experience that needs to be updated every 5 years or so.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I just want to see the Switch on the market long enough to surpass the PS2.

I can't believe it's finally about to happen, but it's hella exciting.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I voted 2024. Seems realistic with the Switch selling so well + the industry shortages. And if the sucessor is hard to get for awhile, the Switch will (hopfeully) be readily available as an alternative, especially with BC likely.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
My personal prediction:

Switch 2 will launch around April 2024. This would be a good sweetspot for starting the transition into Next Gen for Nintendo. They could provide the following games for launch:

1. New big casual game by EPD 4
They are developing Switch Sports at the moment, but after they will have finished this, they would have two full years to develop a big casual launchtitle for Switch 2.

2. New 3D Mario by EPD Tokyo
According to rumors, a smaller group of EPD Tokyo is developing a new 2D DK for Switch at the moment (maybe with heavy assistance by EPD 10). So their bigger group could indeed prepare a brandnew 3D Mario for Switch 2. And after the 'smaller group' will have finished 2D DK - lets say in early 2023 - they could join the other staff members of the bigger group. EPD Tokyo will be supported as usual by 1UP Studio and NST for this game. So Nintendo could really have a new big 3D Mario ready for launch of Switch 2

3. Exclusiv title by some 3rd-Party-Developer (SE, Capcom, UbiSoft)

I think it would be totally fine to launch with three exclusive launchgames + a lot of Multigames for sure. For the months after launch, Nintendo could have ready the following games for Switch 2:

- Pikmin 4 (by EPD 10)
- Pokken Tournament 2 (by Bandai Namco/TPC)
- another exclusive 3rd-Party-Title
- Splatoon 3.5
- new Goodfeel Game (that will not come out on Switch 1 anymore)
- new Mario Party (by Camelot)

I think this kind of lineup would be enough to carry Switch 2's momentum over the first nine months. Luigis Mansion 4 and Mario Kart X will be the big holiday games for christmas 2025 then.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I expect Switch to have a 10 year life cycle, but "life cycle" doesn't end just because the successor system releases.

Even the 3DS got what? 8 or 9 years of support?

There's no reason why you would cut Switch support regardless of when the "next chipset iteration" comes.

The other difference today is with only one hardware line I think Nintendo is more sensitive to declining sales. In the past it didn't really matter if Game Boy sales declined or had rough patches (SNES cushioned declining Game Boy sales) because there was a console division to create boosts in their overall hardware forecast and vice versa (DS introduced in 2004 boosted Nintendo during sluggish GameCube sales).

They don't have this dynamic any more, so it will be interesting to see what level of decline they are comfortable with. Companies don't get to dictate this stuff on their own, the consumer has a large say in the end with their buying patterns.

Which is the reason they have to do the switch to the successor with care.
A break is a bigger risk then it ever was.
I know were at a point where graphics are less central then 15 years ago.
But thech is progressing, and switch games are more and more starting to look.. dated.
I could see them going another 5 years... but only if we get a pro/2 that is 100% backwards compatible.
And if the moment comes where they need to make a jump to a new platform/branding,
then they will prepare for a mass migration: a lot of service games, new software etc for the start.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I also hope to see a Switch Pro come out soon. However, I do not consider it the Switch 2/Successor. I hope they consider letting the Switch brand continue in a form similar to what Microsoft is doing with Xbox.

Thanks for telling us. I'll let Nintendo HQ know they should call you so you can judge whether their new console is or isn't the Switch successor.

Jokes aside, I totally understand you. I don't consider the Xbox Series X the successor to the Xbox One. Therefore, it isn't. Case closed.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
It's crazy we still have no idea when the next 3D Mario game will come out yet about 5 years after Odyssey. Bowser's Fury was nice but I'm ready for a 3D Mario soon.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for telling us. I'll let Nintendo HQ know they should call you so you can judge whether their new console is or isn't the Switch successor.

Jokes aside, I totally understand you. I don't consider the Xbox Series X the successor to the Xbox One. Therefore, it isn't. Case closed.

Switch Pro is just the professional version of the Switch. And it will be godlike

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
Switch sales in 2017, first revision and Lite sales in 2019, OLED model sales in 2021.
Every two years some variation is sold.
Perhaps in 2023, it will not be a successor, and Nintendo will just say, "This is the new Nintendo Switch."
The successor will be 2025 or 2026 I'm betting on 2026 because I think they're working too slowly.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
It's crazy we still have no idea when the next 3D Mario game will come out yet about 5 years after Odyssey. Bowser's Fury was nice but I'm ready for a 3D Mario soon.

As I said, I personally asume that the next 3D Mario will a launchtitel of Switch 2 in 2024. I think after Odyssey, 3D Allstars and 3D World + BF they are done with 3D Marios in Switch 1

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna say 2025, but even if it releases earlier, they'll still support the Switch for a while longer.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've moved my prediction back to March 2025.

There will be no Pro version in the interim years.

If it comes out of the gates when the chip shortage is over AND the tech level at that point in time is pretty incredible (i.e. they get really closely aligned to what Nvidia keeps on doing), they'll offer an incredible handheld. I'd expect it to be the level of a PS4 Pro but with the benefits of fast storage and a better CPU. 4k30 on the TV, 1080p60 handheld.

Every game that has straddled gens over the years to fill the chip shortage period will come out on it and it'll be incredible on that front.

It'll still be pretty basic in the OS world, but that's ok by me. EA will continue to ignore it.

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
The NES had a lifespan of 7 years before a successor came out, but only 6 years in the U.S. And it was the longest among Nintendo consoles. The Wii was second, with 6 years, and probably because it was incredibly successful. Handheld consoles lasted more. The original Game Boy had a 9-year lifespan, and that is even without considering the Game Boy Color. The Nintendo DS, another successful handheld console, lasted for 7 years before the 3DS came out.

As Nintendo has just launched a premium and more expensive variation (the OLED), I would say it will not get replaced any time soon. I would say 2023 would be the bare minimum for the Switch, but still too early. 2024 to 2026 seems more likely. There is still room for Nintendo to sell some additional 50 million units of the Switch or even more.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I don't know if they'll do a hardware refresh at this point, though it's possible. But a Switch 2 or whatever it's called is most likely be out by the end of 2024. Hopefully, Nvidia will cook something good for the next system.

720p OLED display
DLSS & HDR enabled up to 2160p in docked mode (I don't think they'll have 120fps games, but who knows)
5-6 hours battery life
256/512GB storage (I doubt SSD will be a thing unless prices plummet in the coming years)
64GB carts should be affordable and widely used by publishers

2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

That's not how any of this works. A console life cycle doesn't end with the release of new hardware. The PS2 for example was still being sold waaaay after the PS3 was released.

2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"
2024 - New hardware
2026/2027 - Switch hardware production ends

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
How is the continuation of a popular franchise that has already sold over 100mil and has had several coycat type games (e.g. Go Vacation) considered "blue ocean"? 🤔

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
2017 - Release
2022 - "Half way"

To be more accurate, they said they're in the middle. This could also be interpreted as how the ages of 24-26 are in the middle of one's 20s. And even then, I doubt Nintendo will cut in the original Switch off cold turkey if the 3DS is any indication.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
It would be best to be at the end of next year but I doubt that's realistic anymore, hopefully 2024 then

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
My personal prediction:

Switch 2 will launch around April 2024. This would be a good sweetspot for starting the transition into Next Gen for Nintendo. They could provide the following games for launch:

1. New big casual game by EPD 4
They are developing Switch Sports at the moment, but after they will have finished this, they would have two full years to develop a big casual launchtitle for Switch 2.

2. New 3D Mario by EPD Tokyo
According to rumors, a smaller group of EPD Tokyo is developing a new 2D DK for Switch at the moment (maybe with heavy assistance by EPD 10). So their bigger group could indeed prepare a brandnew 3D Mario for Switch 2. And after the 'smaller group' will have finished 2D DK - lets say in early 2023 - they could join the other staff members of the bigger group. EPD Tokyo will be supported as usual by 1UP Studio and NST for this game. So Nintendo could really have a new big 3D Mario ready for launch of Switch 2

3. Exclusiv title by some 3rd-Party-Developer (SE, Capcom, UbiSoft)

I think it would be totally fine to launch with three exclusive launchgames + a lot of Multigames for sure. For the months after launch, Nintendo could have ready the following games for Switch 2:

- Pikmin 4 (by EPD 10)
- Pokken Tournament 2 (by Bandai Namco/TPC)
- another exclusive 3rd-Party-Title
- Splatoon 3.5
- new Goodfeel Game (that will not come out on Switch 1 anymore)
- new Mario Party (by Camelot)

I think this kind of lineup would be enough to carry Switch 2's momentum over the first nine months. Luigis Mansion 4 and Mario Kart X will be the big holiday games for christmas 2025 then.
They could also have another Smash game ready by 2025 by your estimates, as Ultimate took just under 3 years to develop (3 years total counting the planning phase). I doubt Nintendo will leave that franchise on the shelf for long. And if Sakurai begins development by the end of this year, they can have Smash 6/7 out by Holiday 2025.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I might be in the minority but I feel nobody should even attempt to release a next-gen console until production and supply is sorted out.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I voted holiday 2023 but honestly I think they've put it on the back burner until necessity dictates or the chip crisis eases up. What can they even do? They might have some great design made and ready to go but if they can't make the units to meet even a tepid demand it will be pointless to release it.
Chip fab and allocations would have been negotiated at least a few years in advance, what could happen is more about being restricted in how many they could produce rather than inability to produce, ala the PS5 which has seen its shipments cut drastically. It's highly unlikely they walk away from that if they've also reserved capacity.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair they said it was halfway in like early 2020, so they can move it forward or back whenever they want. I don't think we get past holiday 2024 without switch 2