• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
The stand was a nice idea but really poorly executed. They should've added some notches to the back so the thing would snap into place and stay there. If I remove the front USB cable with some slight force, the console will slip out of the stand. It's a hassle.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part about it is how the loose stand vibrates terribly when discs are being used, and the system itself is not level without the stand, so you cannot attach Sorbothane feet to it to dampen the vibrations.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stand is awful, just like the design. I hope the slim or pro are better, because this one ain't it, chief.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder if 3M Command strips would be a good option for sticking the stand to the console. I use those things for so much and they are a godsend.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I feel like the stand doesn't do much horizontal. Like the system would be fine sitting horizontal on its own. I have mine horizontal though I use the stand, but the stand sucks for sure and I can't even tell if the system is flat and even.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the screw was for vertical. Hmm.

But either way mine seems fine. I'm not going to be moving it once it is in place, though I understand everyone doesn't have the same use case.

I wonder if we will see replacement stands and/or white shell pieces. I feel like it could be smaller.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Well based on the design, sliding it forward wouldn't really keep it staying in place. If you're pushing it back then it stays.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have setup my ps5 horizontal. I have needed to move it a few times today to adjust the cables, and I have found that everytime I pull the ps5 forward it slides straight off its stand. Anyone else experiencing this?
What you should do in this case is turn it with 1 hand holding against the stand horizontally, while the other hand is in front. "Twist" and turn the console while holding the base and then turn back,. This is how I easily plugged the cables in the first time. If you are pulling it forward with 1 hand, and trying to balance it and plug cables in. No no.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
What you should do in this case is turn it with 1 hand holding against the stand horizontally, while the other hand is in front. "Twist" and turn the console while holding the base and then turn back,. This is how I easily plugged the cables in the first time. If you are pulling it forward with 1 hand, and trying to balance it and plug cables in. No no.
This. The stand is the only part that is touching the surface so you have to actually move the stand and not the console. Use one hand to hold that in place and use your other hand to hold the console. Its very easy to move this way. If your console is coming off the stand easily the stand might be attached incorrectly. If its on right the stand should be holding your console "floating" above the surface you have it on without the console touching the surface directly.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
I feel like the stand doesn't do much horizontal. Like the system would be fine sitting horizontal on its own. I have mine horizontal though I use the stand, but the stand sucks for sure and I can't even tell if the system is flat and even.
Line the stand up with the squares on the flap. If its on right you can use a flashlight and see the ps5 being supported and held up by the stand like the picture in the owners manual.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah the design feels cheap when setting it horizontally. The weight of the console is what makes it sturdy, but when you lift it up it just flimsily hangs there and flops.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Should've been built into the console. It could've looked like a bigger PS2, but they went for the wavy look.

I don't like that you need a flimsy stand just to use the console.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you use the standing stand when it's horizontal? I just threw it in a drawer. What's the stand supposed to do on its side, didn't realize it attaches that way

it's wild how ugly the entire design is.
Had to argue and compromise with my wife to even have it visible in the living room and the saddest part is I sort of agree with her haha
troll post? Like, horizontal is even less 'flat' on its own than vertical. The system is simply NOT designed to sit comfortably without the standon its side. Vertically it can, but it's not stable, but thankfully the screw for vertical is there.

Honestly, the design of the PS5 is visually appealing to me (and not a lot of others) but everything else about the 'design' is sofucking shoddy, it's BAFFLING that this is what passed.

It's shocking to me how poorly thought out it seems from a usability standpoint, from the size to the necessary stand increasing the footprint, to the cheap feeling plastic fins. With the stand on it's both far deeper and taller than the xbox, while being virtually the same width. Monstrous. Without the stand it would at least be thinner, but since not using the stand is begging for trouble, that's kind of irrelevant.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
troll post? Like, horizontal is even less 'flat' on its own than vertical. The system is simply NOT designed to sit comfortably without the standon its side. Vertically it can, but it's not stable, but thankfully the screw for vertical is there.

Honestly, the design of the PS5 is visually appealing to me (and not a lot of others) but everything else about the 'design' is sofucking shoddy, it's BAFFLING that this is what passed.

It's shocking to me how poorly thought out it seems from a usability standpoint, from the size to the necessary stand increasing the footprint, to the cheap feeling plastic fins. With the stand on it's both far deeper and taller than the xbox, while being virtually the same width. Monstrous. Without the stand it would at least be thinner, but since not using the stand is begging for trouble, that's kind of irrelevant.

not even, I genuinely didn't know the base could be used with the system laying down haha. I glanced at it, it looked cheap, and I was planning on laying it down anyway so I just dismissed it

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Why are you guys moving your PS5 a bunch of time? Find the right spot and it should stay there the entire time.
What about plugging/unplugging cables into the front (or rear) USB ports? Does the console shift when doing that? I haven't set mine up yet but it would be annoying if that's the case as I will be moving the USB dongle around for my headphones fairly regularly.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
not even, I genuinely didn't know the base could be used with the system laying down haha. I glanced at it, it looked cheap, and I was planning on laying it down anyway so I just dismissed it
That';s the entire reason the base swivels, it's not to hide the screw, it's because it's angled in a way that it rests the vertical system one way and the horizontal the other.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The stand is just a bad design and looks like an afterthought.

Ideally I want custom shaped plates that make the right side panel completely flat, so I can use it horizontally without a stand.

It didn't even occur to me that this was a design possibility.

Hopefully, some third party manufacturers will think about this and provide new PS5 cases that are more stable for horizontal orientation. If they have plates that can do that, they've got a customer right here.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't know if I'm an outlier here, but I read the early impressions here and yeah... my stand is super gripped to the console in horizontal position. I have a Karlby as well so there's quite a bit of friction underneath the stand. Just tried moving it forward and the stand was with it the entire time.

EDIT: Just tried it on my brothers PS5 that's also horizontal and same thing, the stand is practically stuck to the system in horizontal orientation. Interesting
Mines really solid too

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It is embarrassing that it needs a stand to lie flat and the stand doesn't even hold it securely. This is such an incredible failure of design.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wanted to have it be horizontal but the stand is flimsy when it is in that position and with a slight movement gets loose so instead of bothering I opted to go for the vertical position even though I didn't want to in the first place.

Maybe some third party will make a better horizontal option that clips and holds?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Yeah it's pretty bad, I've tried everything and it's just not possible to slide the PS5 when it's lying Horizontally without dislodging the stand. It just wasn't made for horizontal and it shows, but at least if you don't move it the console stays stable.

Personally I'm really hoping we get the option to swap out the bottom shell for a flat design so it doesn't need a stand (And a darker look so it doesn't stand in stark contrast with other consoles or black furniture)