• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
None of us played DDR seriously outside of a few mats at home, mind you, we were just being dumb and wanted a goof. We were like 16 at the time, just got our cars, so the idea of going somewhere on our own to hang out was fresh and new. There was a putt putt golf with an arcade that was mainly dead that we'd go goof at. One friday night, we showed up and decided to act like we were hot shit at DDR to challenge the group of kids who were always there.

I was the one who got to act like I was hot shit, my friends were my "entourage" and hype men. I walked in with a cape and a cane, then we all stood by the DDR machine watching some kids absolutely blow it away. We'd talk loudly like "Impressive for someone so young! Maybe one day you can challenge a pro" and my "hype men" kept going around starting random conversations next to groups of people or the workers at putt putt about how I was some 10 time international champion.

Eventually the kids playing DDR noticed and were like "you're some sort of pro? Wanna face off?" So my hype men did their thing and started calling for bets amongst themselves, and generally acting fools. Turns out, the entire place came to watch, even the people behind the counter making pizzas haha.

I told them to pick their toughest song, and they picked some impossible song I'm sure. They chose the top speed, top difficulty, and I chose "8x" speed... and the easiest difficulty. Surprisingly, easy and 8x actually made the game way, way tougher, as the dance symbols no longer had any sort of flow or rhythm and were more like single notes zooming by every few moments randomly. I think I hit maybe 1 note the entire time.

After it was done, my hype men acted like i had obliterated them, and pulled out a crown and put it on my head. Then we left while someone played "We are the champions" on a boom box, haha.

Probably a you-had-to-be-there moment but one of my favorite memories from being a kid. My friends and I still crack up about that story, how dumb we were. The kids who were playing DDR were good sports about it all and laughed and took it in stride.

anyone else got some dumb stories about goofy things you did as a kid playing games?

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the reverse situation happen to me, actually. Was going to a ride night (an after-hours employee thing at an amusement park I worked at) and my buddy K was coming as my +1. While standing in line waiting for it to open, K overheard a guy in front of us openly boasting to some people about how great he was at DDR.

Unprompted, K said "I bet frunkle could beat your ass at DDR." I was good but had no idea how good this guy was, and I'm not the braggadocious type so I didn't want to play. Eventually I agreed to it because the guy wouldn't shut up about the challenge. Turns out he was garbo and started talking shit 20 seconds into the first song.

Still a memory that K and I laugh about when we happen to get together.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Funny DDR story OP. Ahhhh I remember those days.

I had a friend who would hype me up playing Tekken. He would take bets on me and challengers at the local arcade in the mall. Thing is I was actually really good. Probably the best Tekken player in Vero Beach Florida at that point in history. I remember having a win streak of 30 before giving up and walking away like a final boss.

Dec 14, 2017
I have a funny DDR story from my youth. Well, I'm not really directly involved, but was there. At gatherings at my place we would often bust out two soft pads and play DDR (one of the ones on ps1). My older sister was really good at it, could do most songs with 90%+ rates on high difficulties, i was still leveling up from medium to playing some on hard. Then one night, an older guy wants to try a song on the hardest difficulty against my sister, as a fun little challenge. This was a song my sister could clear, but not get a good score on, some segments were just too crazy. So, the song starts... after like two or three note groups he gets on his knees and starts focusing on just on arrow with his hands while three of his friends take the other three. Everyone cracked up and even more so when they ended up doing worse than my sister at the song.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
When I was like 10 I was at a new arcade for the first time and I inadvertently went up to play the person who I learned later was supposedly the local SFII ace. Being 10, I had like no appreciation for any meta concepts and cheesed him to death with Bison. He said it was lame (in hindsight, entirely correct) but that he'd show me how it could be beat. I figured that meant I could do it again, and I won 5 times straight doing nothing but psycho crushers until he gave up. I was more glad he left more than I cared about winning so I could do an arcade story mode.
Fraud detected

It was Maniac or SSR in 3rd mix. Heavy wasn't a thing until MAX
9 green feet CATASTROPHIC! ...I have no idea what that meant originally.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
My mom was better than me or all of my friends in DDR. She full combo'd Max 300 way before any of us did. She was also 44 years old by then

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why, but I lost it at you coming in with a cape and cane lol. What a great story.

Before I played, I prodded the stage with my cane, feining disinterest, like I was testing the buttons or something, then when they challenged me, I snapped my fingers and my friends got down on the floor and acted like they were measuring the height of the stage saying "Gotta make sure this is regulation, can't risk him being hurt."

They went around the putt putt talking loudly about how I'd won the "golden tap shoes" at "the paris invitational," this was waaaaay before esports so it all sounded way more ridiculous.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my buddy overheard some business men near us discussing a project. We were talking about total war so we started talking like politicians about various total war strategem. Ww were having a blast but definitely sounded like complete idiots.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
That's a great story :)

My mom bought DDR after seeing some news report about it helping people stay in shape. Max 2, I believe. Next thing you know all my friends started coming over to play it, and eventually all got their own mats. One of my friends and I would drive to the next town over every Sunday, stuff our faces at CiCi's, then go next door to the movie theater where they had an arcade DDR setup, and play until we ran out of money. One afternoon we were doing pretty well and people started giving us change to keep playing lmao. Good times

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Aw man there used to be a ton of putt putt/go-kart/arcade places in Houston, but I've noticed most of them are closed now. Celebration Station I think it was called. I feel bad for the Gen Z kids who didn't get to go to places like that and Discovery Zone and instead have to settle for the new chuck-e-cheese

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aw man there used to be a ton of putt putt/go-kart/arcade places in Houston, but I've noticed most of them are closed now. Celebration Station I think it was called. I feel bad for the Gen Z kids who didn't get to go to places like that and Discovery Zone and instead have to settle for the new chuck-e-cheese

My favorite used to be the Super Pac or whatever it was called next to college avenue off of 45 by the marriot. They tore it down to make a vacant lot like 15 years ago :(

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My favorite used to be the Super Pac or whatever it was called next to college avenue off of 45 by the marriot. They tore it down to make a vacant lot like 15 years ago :(

I want to say the one I'm thinking of was off 290 and 610. It wasn't a celebration station, it was even better. Now it's a parking lot too I think. All good amusements in Houston turn to parkinglots eventually. RIP Astroworld :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say the one I'm thinking of was off 290 and 610. It wasn't a celebration station, it was even better. Now it's a parking lot too I think

The one I'm talking about had a HUGE pac-man sign facing the freeway, and there was an enormous go-kart track too.

The putt putt I was talking about is still there, in NASA, but they took out the best part -- the go karts!

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you always have the most funny stories

One of my friends who was my hypeman would do all sorts of dumb shit with me. We became really good friends basically as soon as he moved down from Alabama. The week he moved to Texas, he and a bunch of my friends met and started hanging out and got the idea to make flyers announcing his arrival. He came up with the "Rich McKay Weekend" and had fliers made advertising it. Big letters, "Come meet RICH MCKAY and get autographs! Cake and balloons too!" The flyer made him look like he was a politician or something, haha.

We sat up at the park next to the pool on saturday as specified, with one single cupcake on a folding table, and two small balloons on a chair (so, technically, cake and balloons) and a stack of Polaroids of Rich for him to sign. We'd watch adults drive up in the car to the park, look at us with the sign that said "RICH MCKAY," look frustrated, then drive away like they'd wasted their time. Eventually, we decided to go home after about 30 minutes.

The next day we came back to the park, and the lifeguard at the pool was like "Hey, are you Rich McKay? A ton of people showed up yesterday asking for you until the evening."

We laugh about that to this day. We still want to plan another "Rich McKay weekend."