• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Larry miller hair system for men? Made from painted and corrugated sheet metal.

1_iphone.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Shave or a super close buzz is the way to go.

If you get a wig what the fuck are you going to say to someone when you take it off. I don't see how that could work.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
A toupee will look horrible, imo. They can be spotted from a mile back. People say they can look good but I've never ever seen one that looked natural. Even in Hollywood which is saying something.

Maybe Jason Alexander's from a few years ago but his was overly age-appropriate. Needless to say, he ended up dumping it within a year or so.

Just shave close.

I'm imagining having to take the thing on and off all the time *shudders*

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to keep the hair you have, you should go on propecia (finasteride). It's cheap and keeps you from getting balder.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat op. My hairline has been receding the past few years and I refuse to be bald so I've been considering Bosley or other hair restoration treatments but damn are they expensive!

Never thought of a wig though.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I'd be more self conscious wearing a wig than I would with my bald-ass head out there. But I've been this way for 15 years now. I shave it straight off. I'm skinny and bulking up isn't an option, but fortunately for me the Nordic Vampire look works out ok.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think the bald-patch scruff looks bad at all.

People act like a razor blade-and-wax is the only option for guys with thinning hair.

It happens to so many people it's seriously not even a big deal. Just avoid the combover, maybe age up your wardrobe a bit, and definitely don't apologize or self-deprecate over it.

It's been happening since the dawn of time. You aren't your god damn hair. Nobody is 22 forever, and nobody fucking wants to be. Stop pretending and live life, baby.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you've got the money, hair transplant procedures are effectively magic these days.

Source: me and my head right now

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Dude, look this up : finastride

It's a pill that you'll have to take every day for the rest of your life, but you will not go balder than you are right now and will practically stop the hair loss process.

Of course check it out with your doctor. I have a friend who is a doctor himself and his family, three brothers and dad are bald as a palm, but since the hair loss began he has been taking a finastride every morning for the past like 10 years and he still have a head full of hair.

Also check out Minoxidil. Another thing approved by my going-bald friends.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
In the first lockdown starting back in March the barbers were obviously closed, so I decided that I would shave my head. I've been receding for years and while I usually have my hair shaved with #1 or #2 I've never gone all the way. Anyway, while I loved the look I didn't like the feel. Wearing a hoodie or lying on a pillow felt like Velcro and even on a mildly sunny day it felt like my head was on fire without a hat.

So now I've done the reverse and as it's winter I'm growing my hair. Can't remember when it was last cut but it must be close to 6 months. It goes curly, so while I'm working from home I'm going through the awkward sticking out stage before gravity takes over. It's wispy at the front but curly everywhere else, so a bit Jude Law, but his front patch is thicker.

As the saying goes, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. So my advice is to at least not shave bald.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
At the old age of 27, my hairline is being decimated by stress, so I'm thinking of going for something like this, but I'm scared of making such a big move
7-E6-BFF4-B-8819-42-CC-8166-EFD2870-CF34-E.jpg
I don't think hair that length is a big deal. It looks tidy and sharp on him. Go for it! Also, what makes you think your hair loss is stress-related and not male pattern baldness?

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I shaved it all off when I realized there's a clear landing zone on top of my head. Bald is cool.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think hair that length is a big deal. It looks tidy and sharp on him. Go for it! Also, what makes you think your hair loss is stress-related and not male pattern baldness?
Just a wild guess lol

My hairline went from being full to Henry Cavill in the course of a year, it's too much of a coincidence. I'm sure genetics plays a role too though.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, why do I have to be ashamed of wearing a wig?

Or even try to hide it? Seems to me like having a bunch of wigs and the ability to make them look decently professional would be my preferred choice even to a head of hair. But I have a feeling getting to that point takes way more time and money than I'd feel is worth it.

I'd love to be able to drastically switch the look of my hair from day to day.

EDIT: Anyone seen the hair tattoo ads? Or the actual procedure?

Last edited:

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
I'm in the shave it camp, but I have definitely seen people with oddly shaped heads where the look doesn't work out so well.

Oct 26, 2017
I was getting a higher hairline and started seeing balding spots on top, especially when on crappy webcam conferences. Super thick hair on the sides, but it started feeling like I was doing a comb-over every time I went to the hairdresser and asked them to keep some bangs. I was planning to shave it all off last year anyway when the pandemic hit so hair salons were no longer an option.

I feel like I look much younger when it's shaved, compared to pictures right before. As soon as I was a little warm, it would be all stripy and look like I was fifteen years older.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could never wear a wig the stress of looking a fool would be way too much. What if I fall over and my wig flies off and my pants fall down?

I just buzzed mine when it started thinning out and was done with it. It's surprising how my confidence about my appearance actually went up when I did it.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shave it. I think it shows confidence in yourself if you beat balding before it beats you!

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Only posting to find out what the original thread title was. What was this typo??

Definitely shave it though. Unless maybe you can afford whatever Joel McHale had done

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I shave mine nowadays, but I really don't judge people who wear hair systems or get decent hair transplants. I would much rather have a full head of hair than be bald, but I can't.

Here's the thing, though: for either of the two "fake" options, you're going to have to shave your head without a guard first anyway. Good hair systems need to sit on top of bald skin on the top, and hair transplant prep needs a bald head as well. So why not no-guard buzz it at home and just see how you feel without committing to anything? You might find (as I did) that you're fine with it, and save yourself tens of thousands of pounds / dollars.

Obviously you also have finasteride and minoxidil, both of which I tried. I stopped taking finasteride because my wife and I wanted to concieve, and I didn't feel like messing with my hormones any more for vanity's sake. I kept using minoxidil for a while, until it started giving me awful dark circles around both eyes - to the extent that I looked like a corpse. A corpse with hair, but a corpse nonetheless.

So my advice is: try medication if you'd like to keep what you have, and if you tolerate it well long-term. And then by all means get a transplant or a system / wig if you can afford to do that properly, but shave your head first. You're going to have to do it anyway, so you might as well see how it makes you feel.

EDIT: One extra thing to add: getting a hair transplant also means taking finasteride indefinitely. It's not a one-and-done thing.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
short hair/shaved is the way to go, makes life and mornings simple. Bald is a bit more maintenance than you think, which is why i'm a short hair guy for life. Eventually it'll even out to a monk style bald tippy-top or just short all around, so you'll look like Picard or Larry David or The Rock

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why do I have to be ashamed of wearing a wig?

Or even try to hide it? Seems to me like having a bunch of wigs and the ability to make them look decently professional would be my preferred choice even to a head of hair. But I have a feeling getting to that point takes way more time and money than I'd feel is worth it.

I'd love to be able to drastically switch the look of my hair from day to day.

EDIT: Anyone seen the hair tattoo ads? Or the actual procedure?
You shouldn't be ashamed of wearing a wig.

But if you meet someone and get into a relationship explaining that might be awkward because they met you as the guy with a always perfect hair.

I have known some men with wigs but the ones i know were married when they got the wig. It obviously gave them confidence and most people didn't seem to notice.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the old age of 27, my hairline is being decimated by stress, so I'm thinking of going for something like this, but I'm scared of making such a big move
7-E6-BFF4-B-8819-42-CC-8166-EFD2870-CF34-E.jpg

Pretty sure he is bald or balding like a lot of actors. He either had some work done, takes stuff or it's a wig, spray. Same for Cavill.

Beckham wears some insane wig, he is bald as hell.

I think people sometimes don't realise there is a weird inbetween of going bald that doesn't require the nuclear option, just keep it short and it is what it is. Sure, it sucks that you have mostly okay hair apart from a patch and some thinning but as long you don't try to hide it and cut it sort, not a huge deal, it happens.

Don't be like Gareth Bale and his ridiculous hairdo to hide being bald.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends how much you are losing. Im 37 and have had thin hair for many years but i have a lot of it. So while at the very back/top its thinner than in other spots it still has enough to keep it from appearing balding even without hiding it. Everyone to some degree might start to shed a bit at the top or other places but thats what age does.