• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
My hair is much thinner on the very top of my head compared to the back and sides and it seems likely to me and my wife that I'm going to lose that hair in some reasonable timeframe (maybe 10 years? idk). Just planning ahead but what are good strategies to dealing with hair loss like that? And how good are modern wigs?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to come up with a funny remark about the typo in the thread title and I'm blanking. I'm blowing it!!

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I believe if you are losing the head on the top of your head that means you are potentially being scalped.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Buddy of mine has pretty ferocious male pattern baldness and he just wears it really short. Dude honestly looks great.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is to go to a dermatologist and ask what they recommend. There are tons of low cost or high cost options for hair loss today.

Or just shave it off if you truly don't care.

EDIT: You mentioned wigs - yeah, def talk with a dermatologist!

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Depends on the shape of your head. At the beginning of a holiday, shave it and have a look. Some prefer shaved, some prefer #0 trim (just the blade, no comb attached on the trimmer) to get a 2-day growth look.

Don't freak out first time though - it does take a few days to get used to it. You'll have the rest of the holiday to at least start growing it back again.

If you really don't like it, consult a reputable professional to talk about options. If you get it early you may have more options (no idea to be honest, I actually liked mine shaved from the get go).

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honest opinion, though:
star-trek-picard-1014000-1280x0.jpg
Having a bit of hair on the sides and not being super buff is plenty appealing, just don't try to frantically cling to the wisps up top? It rarely looks good. Wigs are fine if you want to put in the effort.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I started buzzing my head, it was disconcerting at first but you get used to it. Just take it off as trying to salvage what is continuously disappearing is a lost cause unless you opt for some proven to work surgery. Its disturbing how much of one's life can revolve around salvaging ones hair when you go down the road of creams and pills.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
At the old age of 27, my hairline is being decimated by stress, so I'm thinking of going for something like this, but I'm scared of making such a big move
7-E6-BFF4-B-8819-42-CC-8166-EFD2870-CF34-E.jpg

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I'm the same as you. I just keep really short. It looks good. Once the top is all gone I will most likely just shave it all off.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take a razor and shave it if I were you. But if you don't want to go so drastic so quickly, buzz it down to a #2 or #3 (feel free to buzz the sides shorter, as long as you can still fade).

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Depends on the age, but I've always been an advocate for keeping some hair on the sides. It makes one look more 'friendly' compared to straight que balled. However, I guess you're not 50. Go bald for now if hair angst something that occupies your thoughts for any amount of time of the day. We have too much to worry about as is.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I want you to know, OP, it took me waaaaaay too long to realize I needed to correct the thread title on this one. I feel like I blacked out for a minute there.

So... Thanks? You're welcome?

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here cursed with the "island" or tuft of hair up front where the hair has receded away from this one spot of slowly thinning hair? Jude Law was dealing with it for a while. I'm debating on just buzzing the whole head. The couple of times in my life I have buzzed or gone really short, people have complimented my head shape so that is one thing I'm taking solace in when I do decide to buzz or even shave it all off.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
OP, don't listen to folks who presenting a full shave as the only option. Talk to a good stylist about the options cuz they depend on how much hair is left, the person's face, build and head shape etc. Not a huge fan of this publication in general, but this article highlights nicely that there's more than just option #5:

www.maxim.com

The 5 Best Haircuts For Guys With Thinning Hair - Maxim

If you're thinning or going bald, here's how to look your best.

Cruets

Nov 1, 2017
Shave it. Don't be scared. You'll soon realize no one cares. If you got a wig though it's like you're embarrassed with who you really are.

Its normal, guys go bald as we age

princess_V

Dec 5, 2020
My hair is much thinner on the very top of my head compared to the back and sides and it seems likely to me and my wife that I'm going to lose that hair in some reasonable timeframe (maybe 10 years? idk). Just planning ahead but what are good strategies to dealing with hair loss like that? And how good are modern wigs?

I wear wigs all the time. Almost everyday. Modern wigs are amazing. You can get the same look and feel as "real" hair. And you can change up style and color as much as you want. If you're willing to invest in it, you can get some really nice ones. Before you decide, I recommend trying a wig out and seeing how you feel. Go for at least a lace front wig. There's some awesome YouTube videos and reviews you can check out too.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how much hair you still have, you might be able to make something work. Wouldn't hurt to buzz anyway and get a feel for how you look though.

Oh, and stay off hair loss related forums if you value your mental health.

Last edited: