• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the next Star Wars trilogy 10-12 start to come out?

• By 2030

Votes: 172 36.1%
  • By 2035

Votes: 110 23.1%
  • By 2040

Votes: 30 6.3%
  • By 2045

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • By 2050

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Never, let the past die… (but probably won’t die)

Votes: 153 32.1%

• Total voters

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger question is whether it's just riffing on the original films again. Oh hey look the new space nazis built a super weapon that turns stars into black holes but it's also got really really penetrated defenses and a glaring weak spot extreme of note is aware of. Also Chewie since they can stick anyone in the costume at that point.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the next triology starts with a blank slate.
Not a single reference to the Skywalker saga.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual new trilogy is more likely to be a prequel then a sequel. That way they can do something people are more familiar with and make a whole new "universe" of 9 films.

But they need to wash away the stench of the sequel trilogy first, so I voted 2035. There's a decent chance the hate will have calmed down by then.

Didn't they say that any movies going forward would be set after the ST?

Which i find completely reasonable, because prequel movies tend to either: Suck; or confuse the audience, chronologically. Like, having to explain where a new movie is set on an ever growing timeline will become a higher barrier of entry. And they come with constraints "so, why isn't character XYZ helping out, what are they doing at this point?"

They should keep the "filling the gaps" fan service shit on Disney+ and have the movies be free to tell new stories, free of the shackles of the original trilogy and its characters.

that's the only upside by forcing the ST to be about "the skywalkers" again. By calling the 9 movies "The Skywalker saga" it's gonna be hard to justify for them to make further installments about this kind of "force royalty" again...

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

that's the only upside by forcing the ST to be about "the skywalkers" again. By calling the 9 movies "The Skywalker saga" it's gonna be hard to justify for them to make further installments about this kind of "force royalty" again...

No way that Skywalker Bloodline end with the death of Ben Solo.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

I just think it's a waste to have this whole universe at your disposal but only focus on the tiniest part of it for more than a dozen films and countless series that all revolve around roughly same planets and characters. I know why they're doing it. It's familiar. It's what made people fall in love with the series to begin with, but there's a point for me when it's just enough. I haven't even touched Boba Fett or Obi Wan on D+ because I just can't get myself to care about those characters and their stories anymore.
I want something fresh within the same universe.
Are there Jedi / Sith in the opposide side of the universe? How did they evolve? Are they using lightsabers or something completely different?
There's just so much potential and I hate that they're letting it all go to waste to make more Skywalker stuff...

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Are there Jedi / Sith in the opposide side of the universe? How did they evolve? Are they using lightsabers or something completely different?
There's just so much potential and I hate that they're letting it all go to waste to make more Skywalker stuff...

It still will be about Light vs Dark, Lightsaber vs Lightsaber that is for sure.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they should hang on to the trilogy format unless they find a story that fits well. They should focus on making a great movie with the possibility of making an opening for new exciting stories.

Also it would be great to allow for more depth to the universe rather than wiping the board clean like they did with the sequel trilogy.

Exactly, no reason it has to be a trilogy. Focus on making a good film and telling a good story. If there is demand for more then only make more if you have good ideas. Don't make it just for the sake of making it.

There should also be at least 3 years between any sequels, they shouldn't get into the situation they had with the ST where the production schedules were so tight that it was impossible for one director to make all the films. There should be enough time for post-production to end before pre-production on a sequel begins, they shouldn't overlap. They need to take their time, TROS is the prime example of how not to make a movie. If you know the movie is in trouble, stop and fix the problems. Don't just try and rush through it for the sake of toy sales. Making a good film should be the most important thing.

With the TV shows up and running they should be able to take their time with the films and focus on quality.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think there will be a new trilogy, but it wont be a traditional "10–12" or connected to the others in the way that the most recent trilogy was.

I also think it will be well received and lead to other, nontraditional trilogies too.

Oct 30, 2017
i mean, i know they'll do it eventually because it'll be too hard to resist, but what would the meaning of it even be? you get 60 year old daisy ridley to make a cameo? episode 9, for all its faults, did at least go out of its way to prove that an episode 10 would be pointless. "the skywalker saga" never existed until the marketing for that movie but hey, we all know it's over now.

what they should do is take 10 years off and come back with a completely new movie (with a view to a trilogy), saying these are the new big characters in the universe. instead we will probably just get a bunch of random low-budget series and disney+ movies for the foreseeable future

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably by 2030 but it depends whether what Taika is working on will be the next trilogy or a standalone thing. They do have a number of films in the works just they seem to not be part of the 'episodes'

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I think Episode X will be announced within 3-4 years, maybe even sooner.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that would ever get me excited about this franchise was if they retconned those shitty sequel trilogy movies and just did the thrawn trilogy.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a while, I think. Right now Taika's film is Dec 2023, with Rogue Squadron on some undecided window after that. Could even be 2025 at this point.

Besides that, they have at least four other previously announced projects, one of which includes Rian's trilogy.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My fanfic for the sequel trilogy is Finn being trained by Grogu and Force ghost Luke Skywalker, bounty hunting and adventuring.

Oct 27, 2017
Early next decade, I'd say.

They need time to for everyone to grow nostalgically fond of the movies they're mad and disappointed about right now, while adding a bunch of interstitial retcons and context in other media that fleshes out underdeveloped characters and story problems, while waiting for today's little kids to grow up with golden-tinged memories of the characters from their childhood.

It's like poetry.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I think not only are the fans tired of Skywalker but recent comments by filmmakers indicate they want to do something new.

"Look, I think for the Star Wars universe to expand, it has to expand," Waititi shared with Total Film, via GamesRadar. "I don't think that I'm any use in the Star Wars universe making a film where everyone's like, 'Oh great, well that's the blueprints to the Millennium Falcon, ah that's Chewbacca's grandmother.' That all stands alone, that's great, though I would like to take something new and create some new characters and just expand the world, otherwise it feels like it's a very small story."

I am cautiously optimistic that next-gen Star Wars might be original and good.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Before 2030 for sure.

The TV shows are great and help prop up disney plus subs, but movies are were the big bucks are. No way Disney will just sit on in forever.

Whether it's 10-12 or just a new franchise (High republic, Old republic?)

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The bloodline did, but clearly the whole purpose behind Rey inheriting the title was so that the story could continue while giving Episode IX a sense of finality. Episode I-IX is the story of the Skywalker family, but the overall Skywalker story will continue. The saga will never end.

Oct 25, 2017
My inkling was that 10 years is probably close but a little too soon so I voted that it would start by 2035. Now I'm curious about the prior gaps.

Time between end of OT and start of PT: 16 years
Time between end of PT and start of ST: 10 years
End of ST: 2019 + prev. average = 2032

So I guess the 2035 option would probably feel about right. But that doesn't mean that's what Lucasfilm actually does.
It could be sooner: they want that ca$$$$$$h.
It could be later: With so much other Star Wars content still ongoing and on the way, a larger theatrical break from main trilogies may be warranted.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Episode X will be announced when the fandom gets fed up of the endless slate of low budget Disney+ shows, and viewership inevitably starts declining.

So probably in like 3-4 years? Released before 2030 for sure.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
The bloodline did, but clearly the whole purpose behind Rey inheriting the title was so that the story could continue while giving Episode IX a sense of finality. Episode I-IX is the story of the Skywalker family, but the overall Skywalker story will continue. The saga will never end.

Rey's kids: Mom what do you mean that I'm not Luke's Skywalker grandchild???

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully soon because these D+ Star Wars shows are killing me. Give me a good high budget movie over these extremely cheap looking shows

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think some kids and others will want to see more of the characters regardless of the actual idiocy of the story in the end so I don't think they'll time jump beyond them.

Personally I cannot stand how the story went, Rey Palpatine/Skywalker. About the only interesting thing they can do is have people turn against her or find out she is related to Palpatine and what stems from that, maybe some bipolar corruption from ghost sith. They can't escape it, thanks JJ. It needs a major retcon to give Rey her own agency and no lineage.

Another thing they could maybe do is force ghosts, yes Palpatine blew himself up but all the sith, all the souls escaped so maybe there is some or one haunting around, corrupting someone or even Rey, turning her and you could bring Ben back as a ghost too, think of it as good and evil on her shoulders or one of her students.

The galaxy's hero is a palpatine and the fallout is possibly interesting. Turns the Republic against the new Force users or splinters the groups into different factions, loyal and one against Rey. Blackmail, mistrust, push to the dark side when people turn against them.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
lol at 2030 being the soonest choice. Disney isn't waiting 11 years. I'd say there'll be a standalone SW in 2025, then 10 in 2027-28.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
the moment they hit something thats not OT (and they will try) then the OT will be just for the olds (30-50 year olds today)

I think people forget how this saga was built and created in 1-2 generation.

kids today picking up star wars aren't the same as the late 20s-50 year olds who did so much for the prequels and their backwards looking nostalgia (i imagine the majority of the kids care about rey more than luke)

Yeah, as hated as TROS is around my circles, it was eye opening to see my nephew having a TROS poster as a screensaver on his mobile this last weekend.

Or learning that a lot of people around their 20's-30's find the prequels to be the peak of the series

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I think also people hating the sequels are not taking in consideration the generation that grew up with this new group. At Star Wars celebration this year Rey was the most cosplayed character by a large margin

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Yeah, as hated as TROS is around my circles, it was eye opening to see my nephew having a TROS poster as a screensaver on his mobile this last weekend.

Or learning that a lot of people around their 20's-30's find the prequels to be the peak of the series

I think also people hating the sequels are not taking in consideration the generation that grew up with this new group. At Star Wars celebration this year Rey was the most cosplayed character by a large margin
I've said it on another thread but it bears repeating - I've never met a child who didn't love Episode IX.

The sequel trilogy clicked with the only audience it ever truly needed to click with, and Lucasfilm/Disney will be cashing in on that for decades to come.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've said it on another thread but it bears repeating - I've never met a child who didn't love Episode IX.

The sequel trilogy clicked with the only audience it ever truly needed to click with, and Lucasfilm/Disney will be cashing in on that for decades to come.

Yeah. I saw people complain about the lack of ST stuff at Celebration but all of the kid focused things (like Lego) we're heavy into it.

We'll probably get 10-12 featuring Rey in some form within the next twenty years. I would 'assume' that we're going to get a more substantial Rey/Finn/Poe thing in the interim, though. Outside of Lego and some kids comics they haven't gone past TROS, and I imagine it's because they want to save it for later.

(Come on Filoni cartoon starring Rey and Finn…)

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We will eventually. Probably with a different team of producers.

I can see Old Repulic Trilogy come out first.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Probably 2025-2028, IMO.

Disney will not wait that long. Hopefully they give Rey, Finn and Poe a proper closure too.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The 'Skywalker Saga' thing has to be one of the most successful marketing campaigns of all time. They rolled that out in a trailer for TROS and overnight it rewired everyone's brains into thinking "Yeah, the Skywalker Saga, that's what we've always called it, it was always nine movies about the Skywalkers and I can't wait for the final one!".

i dont know if any of this is true, actually.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Yeah. I saw people complain about the lack of ST stuff at Celebration but all of the kid focused things (like Lego) we're heavy into it.

We'll probably get 10-12 featuring Rey in some form within the next twenty years. I would 'assume' that we're going to get a more substantial Rey/Finn/Poe thing in the interim, though. Outside of Lego and some kids comics they haven't gone past TROS, and I imagine it's because they want to save it for later.

(Come on Filoni cartoon starring Rey and Finn…)
If I were a betting man I would put money on a Rey or Finn Disney + series in the next few years. Possibly both, or possibly as the same thing.

There was some scuttlebutt earlier that all of the films currently being worked on are supposed to be post-IX, which I believe. That makes the most sense creatively.
Probably 2025-2028, IMO.

Disney will not wait that long. Hopefully they give Rey, Finn and Poe a proper closure too.
Lucasfilm currently has a slate of films which will take them through to at least 2027. Episode X will be at least after that.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
The 'Skywalker Saga' thing has to be one of the most successful marketing campaigns of all time. They rolled that out in a trailer for TROS and overnight it rewired everyone's brains into thinking "Yeah, the Skywalker Saga, that's what we've always called it, it was always nine movies about the Skywalkers and I can't wait for the final one!".
Lucas once convinced the entire world to retroactively call "Star Wars", a movie he made in 1977, "Episode IV: A New Hope". He convinced an entire generation to think of a standalone throwback sci-fi movie as instead the fourth entry in a series, at a time when he didn't even really want to make parts I-III.

Madness.