• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When does Next Gen become Current Gen ?

• Release day

Votes: 163 55.3%
  • When I personally own one

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • about 1- 6 months after launch

Votes: 45 15.3%
  • 1 year after launch

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • Way beyond a Year after launch.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Never

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Before they are released

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I honestly never thought about it.

If I were to make a judgment now, it'd be when the new consoles are more readily available, so probably between 6-12 months after launch. It's also when the ramp up in releases for next gen consoles start to pick up, and the current gen slowly begins to fade out.

I guess I find it hard to think of these new consoles as "current gen" when so many gamers aren't able to jump in yet.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Please use the search function first to see if a thread already exists prior to making a thread:

www.resetera.com

So... when do we start to call next gen (PS5, XSX/XSS) current gen?

With the release of XSX/XSS and PS5 today (sorry 2nd tier countries who have to wait one more week), comes the big question: when do we start to refer to these as current gen and PS4/XOne as last gen? we're now in this grey zone when people starts to confuse what is current, what is old and...

Status
Not open for further replies.