• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How long before you cut ties with a Q friend?

• Never.

Votes: 9 1.1%
  • I'll put in the time to try to help them out.

Votes: 107 12.6%
  • A few months.

Votes: 23 2.7%
  • A few weeks.

Votes: 43 5.1%
  • As soon as I see the crazy, they are out.

Votes: 575 67.8%
  • Join them in the descent into madness.

Votes: 13 1.5%
  • I just ignore them.

Votes: 78 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
We're talking a SUPER close friend or family member, otherwise I'd choose to not associate with them and their beliefs.

I would, however, reach out to their families and check to see if they're OK. Q being a cult and all.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If they were a true Q believer, I'd cut them out immediately. I don't need to have people in my life who willingly avoid facts and peddle dangerous bullshit.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I probably wouldn't be close friends with someone like that in the first place, but if it was a close friend I'd try to reason with them first.

If it's just a friend I see once in a while, I'd probably just cut them off and stop talking to them.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This thread made me think, if my best bud who I've known since 5th grade, starts to dabble in Q how I would react...like cutting him off is not a solution. He's a hardcore dem, he would never fall into this abyss, but just a thought experiment for myself. I honestly wouldn't know what to do. I feel OP.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think the real question is how good of a friend are they? If my best friend (which I never really had one) who was reasonable and who I thought I knew for a long time got into this line of thinking, I would have to stop hanging around them. If they were just acquaintances somewhat, it doesn't really matter.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to bring one friend back from Q. He'd started posting their memes, went full on 5G conspiracies.

But I kept at him. And now he's wearing a mask.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't got time in my life to deal with shit like that. When I was younger I probably would have put some effort into trying to 'save' them but now I have too many worries of my own, a mortgage, debts etc as well as three kids, so I would probably just cut them loose.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I join them. I want to know everything they think. At the end of the day, I ask politely if they really mean all they said. Some are DEEP into this.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really do facebook but I have seen some of this shit floating around with some former high school acquaintances.

I feel like I;m a fairly decent judge of character and usually before I get a sense of whether they are crazy or not before I decide to be actual freinds with these people.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I guess it depends on how long I've been friends with the person. One of the guys in my friend group who I'm not incredibly close with, but has been part of that group since middle school (we are in our early 30's) is going down the Q path right now. He has always been a bit of a dummy, but a decent person at heart. I'm trying to keep him on the right track, and it is a struggle sometimes, but I think it is worth it in the long run. Some people you give up on, sure. But friends and family, if they mean a damn to you, you have to keep fighting for. Cut your losses eventually, but don't bail at the first sign of trouble.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before in other threads, but another professor and I managed to deprogram a Q believer over the course of several semesters, along with the help of students. It sucked, but by the end this incel/pizza gate conspiracy theorist was reading self help books and treating others with respect. It sucked, but it worked.
You need to write a manual.

Jul 16, 2020
Yeah. I think being physically there with someone rather than online helps. When they can see the growing concern as your face as they detail Hillary's child smuggling ring, it makes them realize how far gone they are.

OP
OP

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

These are some good reads! I especially liked the quote...

Conspiracy theories are a way of making sense out of events that oftentimes, at least initially, seem to make little sense.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
My wife's cousin is like this. Doesn't mention qanon but posts all the same talking points via memes.

Like, one post was this supposed "passenger list" or "flight log" to Epstein's Island. It was just a white page with a couple hundred names types on it. No source, no dates, no flight #s, no other info, just names.

Of course it had a bunch a famous Hollywood types on it, and the most recognizable/famous names were highlighted.

And this lady is unemployed, so just sits at home, bored, getting radicalized by Facebook.

Oh and her husband is a cop, so I'm sure they're hardcore blue liners too. And supposedly he had covid earlier in the year but was asymptomatic, so that didn't help things I'm sure.

Oct 28, 2018
Honestly can't imagine an actual close friend being susceptible to that bullshit. I think if it theoretically did happen I'd at least try to reason with them, especially since it'd be a recent transformation. If it continued for too long though I'd probably end up distancing myself, just sounds so fucking exhausting.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If it's someone I care about, I'd try to stick a few fact checking discussions into the conversation, but I've had one recently who is full on crazy. Covid denier, Soros hating, you name it. Job depends on EU/govt help that's being pulled, still voted for Brexit and the Tories. Beyond help.

OP
OP

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My wife's cousin is like this. Doesn't mention qanon but posts all the same talking points via memes.

Like, one post was this supposed "passenger list" or "flight log" to Epstein's Island. It was just a white page with a couple hundred names types on it. No source, no dates, no flight #s, no other info, just names.

Of course it had a bunch a famous Hollywood types on it, and the most recognizable/famous names were highlighted.

And this lady is unemployed, so just sits at home, bored, getting radicalized by Facebook.

Oh and her husband is a cop, so I'm sure they're hardcore blue liners too. And supposedly he had covid earlier in the year but was asymptomatic, so that didn't help things I'm sure.

I am curious if someone told everyone/everyone decided not to use Q/Qanon specifically in posts anymore because websites are beginning to block it so they can't "spread the message."

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
QAnon is completely toxic.

I wouldn't be able to stay friends with anyone on that bullshit

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These are some good reads! I especially liked the quote...

But there's so much to learn with conspiracy theories that you may as well just read up on what's actually going on.

It's crazy the amount of time people put into 'researching' this stuff. People lose their whole families over it.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly can't imagine an actual close friend being susceptible to that bullshit. I think if it theoretically did happen I'd at least try to reason with them, especially since it'd be a recent transformation. If it continued for too long though I'd probably end up distancing myself, just sounds so fucking exhausting.
I work with someone who is falling deeper and deeper into the Q hole thanks to Facebook. And it IS. FUCKING. EXHAUSTING.
And this was a guy who couldn't care less about politics 4-5 years ago. Talk radio, Fox News and Facebook fixed that.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
51744.jpg

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
The number of people in my life where that wouldn't be an immediate cutting them out of my life can probably be counted on one hand. Anyone far gone enough to fall into it in the first place probably isn't someone you can pull out.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
If they were close friends or family I've known for years, I'd probably put the work in. I'm kinda curious about cult deprogramming stuff anyway.

If it's an acquaintance, "Facebook friend," coworker, or something? I'm not putting energy into that.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
You have to try to help these people out. You can't just abandon them otherwise through isolation they'll go deeper down the shithole.

"Have" to help is too strong, but I try to help where I can. Not at the risk of my own sanity/patience, though. I'll genuinely have open discourse with anyone that I'm friends with about this stuff until I get sick of it, but I don't generally unfriend them for it on social media unless it's egregious.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm not entirely sure I get what going "q" means. But right now I'm feeling way down.

One of my friends that I've known since third grade and me had an altercation. I just couldn't handle the bigoted views and they made me down right pissed. So pissed that I two days ago decided to fight him and put him in his place. Like pushing him and stuff. He refused to fight. I regretted this immediately after comig home and called him up to say I'm sorry. I've told him 10 times over I'm sorry.

But nevermind what he said because now everyone is cracking jokes about me without knowing what was said. Even when I explain what he's said I'm the crazy one. It's bad. His comments was so bad that I'd rather not repeat what he said.

I just, I don't know anymore. Who are my friends? Those protecting him, are they my friends?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely sure I get what going "q" means. But right now I'm feeling way down.

One of my friends that I've known since third grade and me had an altercation. I just couldn't handle the bigoted views and they made me down right pissed. So pissed that I two days ago decided to fight him and put him in his place. Like pushing him and stuff. He refused to fight. I regretted this immediately after comig home and called him up to say I'm sorry. I've told him 10 times over I'm sorry.

But nevermind what he said because now everyone is cracking jokes about me without knowing what was said. Even when I explain what he's said I'm the crazy one. It's bad. His comments was so bad that I'd rather not repeat what he said.

I just, I don't know anymore. Who are my friends? Those protecting him, are they my friends?
I don't think anyone can give you advice on this without knowing what he said. You may have handled this poorly by trying to start a fight, yeah. Also did you like...push him in the heat of the moment or like plan ahead of time that you were going to try to goad him into a fight? Cause if your plan was to goad him into fighting you, then winning the fight to prove some kind of point, and then he refused to fight you...yeah you do come out looking kind of stupid.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't think anyone can give you advice on this without knowing what he said. You may have handled this poorly by trying to start a fight, yeah. Also did you like...push him in the heat of the moment or like plan ahead of time that you were going to try to goad him into a fight? Cause if your plan was to goad him into fighting you, then winning the fight to prove some kind of point, and then he refused to fight you...yeah you do come out looking kind of stupid.
N****r C***t
Sahara whore

It's what he said. Like to random people. I won't have they in my life. I lost it, sure. But I've known him such a long time and he thinks that's just "humour". Nah.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Damn maybe you should've just clocked him for that. Your friends know he said this and don't care? They seem...kinda trash too tbh.

Either way, you should absolutely not be friends with this person.
I did choke him. I grabbed his throat for second or two and pushed him aside. He made me rabid.

Still, I'm the talk now. I'm the crazy one and everyone just want to talk how "I lost it". Sure, it's not my usual self to act like that but c'mon, what the hell? People be normalizing that kind of talk..

EDIT: My friends didn't know what he said because I'm the last to gossip. I always see an altercation between to people as personal, it stays between them. But I'm used to that talk spread fast where I live - and boy did they ever! I ratherbe the "violent trigger happy person" that an openly plain racist fuck. We'll see in time how many friends will agree with me. Just, it's.. I'm tired. I don't have much energy to prove or argue my point of view. It's plain to see. I'd rather be alone than with bigots.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did choke him. I grabbed his throat for second or two and pushed him aside. He made me rabid.

Still, I'm the talk now. I'm the crazy one and everyone just want to talk how "I lost it". Sure, it's not my usual self to act like that but c'mon, what the hell? People be normalizing that kind of talk..
Clocked as in punched, not choked. I'm assuming your friends see it that way because they don't take issue with the racism.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Clocked as in punched, not choked. I'm assuming your friends see it that way because they don't take issue with the racism.
Ah, sorry. I read wrong. I didn't punch him but I was well ready to do so, even coaxed him. My friends protect him because of past family tragedies but that doesn't excuse anything because the same behaviour existed well before that.

Yeah, I don't know what else to say. And I understand it's hard to give advice on these issues without knowing the whole history.

I just needed to vent, sorry. I'm just tired of trying to be a decent person.

Last edited:

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got family , I got bills and I've always got a chance to encounter some racist bullshit everyday without asking....ain't got time to take care of some crazy racist as well.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, sorry. I read wrong. I didn't punch him but I was well ready to do so, even coaxed him. My friends protect him because of past family tragedies but that doesn't excuse anything because the same behaviour existed well before that.

Yeah, I don't know what else to say. And I understand it's hard to give advice on these issues without knowing the whole history.

I just needed to vent, sorry. I'm just tired of trying to be a decent person.
No problem, your reaction to his blatant racism was understandable

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I probably wouldn't be close friends with someone like that in the first place, but if it was a close friend I'd try to reason with them first.

If it's just a friend I see once in a while, I'd probably just cut them off and stop talking to them.

Pretty much, I've had some acquaintances that ended up being Q but cut them off pretty much as soon as I found out. If it's someone I've known for a long time I'd actually discuss why they think it and at least try and find out if there is something I can get through to them. That's what a good friend should do, if it ends up failing then eventually they'd get cut off.