• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When did you stop playing Zelda Breath of the Wild?

• Heh, defeated the 4 Beasts, killed Ganon, end of

Votes: 504 32.4%
  • Buddy, there are 120 shrines and I nailed each and every one of them

Votes: 449 28.8%
  • After the first plateau. Couldn't get into it really.

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • There is no such thing as "stop playing Zelda Breath of the Wild"

Votes: 212 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 177 11.4%
  • The Korok seed..... must...... get........... them................. all....................

Votes: 59 3.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
After I unlocked like, my 9th tower or so and felt the strong presence of a cookie cutter Ubisoft game. Yes, I know all the other stuff attached is top tier stuff, but I had just played several Ubisoft games prior where I unlocked lots and lots of towers. So when I started this game up and was doing the same thing, I checked out.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Beat 4 beasts, went in Hyrule castle but left to complete more of the the rest of the game, stopped playing soon after. The dlc 2 disappointed me and made me hate the game, the 1 hit mechanic is shit, I just want to enjoy my game stress free. F.. you devs for this, I paid you extra to ruin my experience, now I don't want to bother with the rest of the game.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
A little after I beat Ganon and then later I tried the DLC and couldn't beat the spike-filled shrine. I do think about it a lot though and keep meaning to go back to it.

ProfessorLv10

One Winged Slayer
May 27, 2019
By finding all the korok seeds I got to see all of the nocks and cranies of the world of botw, so I did not regret it.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is still shrink-wrapped. Played it a bit on CEMU to see it at 4k/60, but that's it.

I just can't bring myself to start a huge time-sink singleplayer game anymore.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
Got all Shrine on normal mode and master mode, finished all master trials, got my motorcycle and then I stop.. didn't get all the korok.

But sometimes, I played a few hours, just to do some experiment with the physics.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
After finding all the shrines. Didn't really enjoy those last hours of the game all that much though when I was just looking high and low for them.

Haven't had much of a desire to try the DLC yet, might do in a few years and replay the whole main quest.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
got all the shrines and like 60% of the DLC, quit after taking a ride on that embarrassing motorbike that was later released.

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
When after about 50 hours and 100+ shrines my Switch Orange Screen of Death'd and I had to get it repaired. I haven't been able to go back to it almost 2 and a half years later because it's like... I spent a lot of time doing almost everything.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really sure how much stuff I did, but I know that I had just gotten into Gerudo when I decided to give the game to a friend instead because I wasn't enjoying it.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
"Other" as I can't remember what happened after the first plateau. I got as far as getting some camera device and getting the first photo. I was then travelling towards the first beast when I realised I just wasn't enjoying it, and I mostly put it down to the item wear mechanic. I was spending half my time with inventory management and I just don't find that fun.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Got all the shrines I could physically find on my own (probably more than half) but didn't do any of the side mission ones. Then beat Ganon and did the memories. Intended to go back for the rest Of the shrines, but I didn't particularly like the side missions, and I felt like I had to draw the line somewhere or else I'd just be playing the game forever lol. Kinda sad I didn't play more, but I just have so many games to play that I felt like I couldn't stick with it for so long.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Here's my problem with BotW - there just isn't a lot going on with the game when it comes to what makes Nintendo games so great. The story is very minimal and 90% told through flashbacks. There is a distinct lack of amazing music, though what's there does work well for the areas that have it. For such a big world there aren't a lot of characters in it to interact with outside of the 4 small towns. The gameplay tips most of its hand pretty early on, so you don't get as many of the cool little gadgets that keep the game feeling fresh as you advance, and also make for better puzzle solving. Everything I love about the Zelda franchise is notably absent from Breath of the Wild.

And yet, I played through the whole damn thing twice. Once on normal mode, once on Master Mode. I can't figure out why I loved it as much as I did, given how much it was missing when it came to the things I wanted.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt having that much fun and had others games in the backlog that looked more interesting...

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I finished all the shrines and sidequests. I also did the DLC stuff. Love the game, can't wait for the sequel.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want it to end. Like the Witcher 3

This is me .. BOTW's appeal to is so unique.. Like, hands down the best game I've ever played yet, unlike previous GOATs like RE4, MP1, There isn't an urge to replay the game... Discovery is so integral and no traditional power progression combine to make repeating the journey less compelling than seems normal for such a masterpiece... The dream of Nintendo continually adding content to the game died a long time ago :/

I do occasionally dip back in to find spots I haven't been to according to hero's trail equipped with the standard post-game outfit (ninja top+bottom and korok mask) hunting more of those cheeky fellas and doing the odd sick bike stunt ... but I'm missing motivation so it never lasts long.

Dat sequel can't come quick enough..

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the first plateau and enjoyed it, then after a few hours running around the open world proper I got bored and dropped it. I didn't particularly like the open world, the shrines were tedious and the weapon degradation spoiled the combat.

I think the final straw was running along some road which led to a city, I think it was a route to one of the beasts - I can't recall any of the names unfortunately but some fish bloke in a lake hailed me and then would pop up every so often along the route from a nearby body if water to cheer me on - it was raining the entire way so it looked shit, I couldn't climb any of the cliffs to either side (low stamina) so I had to follow this winding path and not take any shortcuts, the path was filled with Lizard guys and electric goblins, my good weapons broke very early on and there were no others to be found so I was reliant on clubs and bits of wood which made every fight deeply tedious....eventually I got to the city I was aiming for but it was not a joyful experience. Then at the top of the mountain was a centaur I needed to kill (I think) who kept one hit killing me and I looked at map and felt no desire to go off exploring to level up and come back so I dropped it.

Maybe there was a much cleverer way to approach this, but I'd had enough by then.

mace999

Dec 7, 2017
Enjoyed it despite the weapon degradation, but got to Ganon twice and he wiped the floor with me so I just gave up :(

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I can't remember where or when, but it was a point at which I just wasn't having fun due to the weapon break.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did all 120 shrines, beat Ganon, and that was that. Never returned because I played it on Wii U and by the time the dlc came out I already had my Switch and didn't feel like going back.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
I finished the first plateau and enjoyed it, then after a few hours running around the open world proper I got bored and dropped it. I didn't particularly like the open world, the shrines were tedious and the weapon degradation spoiled the combat.

I think the final straw was running along some road which led to a city, I think it was a route to one of the beasts - I can't recall any of the names unfortunately but some fish bloke in a lake hailed me and then would pop up every so often along the route from a nearby body if water to cheer me on - it was raining the entire way so it looked shit, I couldn't climb any of the cliffs to either side (low stamina) so I had to follow this winding path and not take any shortcuts, the path was filled with Lizard guys and electric goblins, my good weapons broke very early on and there were no others to be found so I was reliant on clubs and bits of wood which made every fight deeply tedious....eventually I got to the city I was aiming for but it was not a joyful experience. Then at the top of the mountain was a centaur I needed to kill (I think) who kept one hit killing me and I looked at map and felt no desire to go off exploring to level up and come back so I dropped it.

Maybe there was a much cleverer way to approach this, but I'd had enough by then.

Mate, the gauntlet to Zora city was so fantastic ... You had to follow the paths cos of the rain yeah but it's designed as a stealth section I think.. The Lizalfos drop tons of arrows so it was all about sneaking and headshots.. Weapons were the last resort..

...And it wasn't necessary to kill the first Lynel .. The quest just required picking up X electric arrows.. you could sneak round him if you wanted... I did take him on, died maaany times but killed him eventually with a swing from my sledgehammer.. the last weapon in my inventory.. That fight was so epic .. both my kids were watching and we stopped playing for about 20 minutes to run around like crazy people :D

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped after 3 bosses and got to the desert area. It seemed like the time between anything interesting happening got to be too long and I was just meandering without any real purpose. I dunno why I didn't push through and finish the game at that point, but yeah just fell off it.

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, played more than 100 hours doing all kinds of stuff, did a bunch of shrines but not all, did the 4 divine beasts and killed Ganon, found all the memories etc.

BUT: started the game again like a month ago in a new save and I'm still finding new stuff and having fun just exploring the world. This time im going to do all the shrines and finish the trial of the sword and the second dlc which I never finished

Skooky

Oct 25, 2017
I played through three of the beasts, but my hate for most of the underlying mechanics of the game ended up outweighing my love for Zelda games.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I beat all divine beasts and solved about 80 shrines... I still need to get back to it and beat the DLC dungeon and Ganon, obviously...
Still one of my all time favorite games tho.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Two beasts, 70-or-so shrines and then tapped out. I unlocked all the towers, grabbed the Master Sword, collected most of the armour sets and upgraded a few (final tiers were heavy on the grind though), but didn't get many Korok seeds.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I completed the story and got to about 80ish shrines before I put it down. It took me about 10 months to get to that point, I'd put about 30 hrs in then step away for a month or two then come back.

I still plan on working through more of the side quests and DLC.

EliR

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I still boot it up from time to time. I got it on launch. I never cared about getting the korok seeds but I did all shrines and got all armor. I've got 250h on it. Last time I played was 4 days ago.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Did al the shrines and beasts, I think I did everything but the korok seeds.
Then I did it again on master mode.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Let's see. I beat it on WiiU minus all Korok seeds. Forget how many I did. Then I got it again for free with my new Switch when I finally got one, beat 100% with all Korok seeds and the DLC. Then I beat it again on Switch with roughly 90% done, mostly just didn't bother with the Korok seeds. Been meaning to play it a fourth time but my backlog is bad enough already. And I originally hated BOTW too but it finally clicked.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

The path to Zora's Domain section is absolutely littered with weapons. There are even two separate campsite-type areas with weapons scattered along the ground. The enemies drop very solid weapons the as well. Grab your weakest bow in your inventory and headshot an enemy. Or stealth kill some enemies. Or throw a bomb at them to disarm them. Just do anything other than ram your wooden weapons into their steel shields.

Also at no point are you required to kill that a Lynel. The objective is to gather enough shock arrows for the quest.

Oct 27, 2017
Mate, the gauntlet to Zora city was so fantastic ... You had to follow the paths cos of the rain yeah but it's designed as a stealth section I think.. The Lizalfos drop tons of arrows so it was all about sneaking and headshots.. Weapons were the last resort..

...And it wasn't necessary to kill the first Lynel .. The quest just required picking up X electric arrows.. you could sneak round him if you wanted... I did take him on, died maaany times but killed him eventually with a swing from my sledgehammer.. the last weapon in my inventory.. That fight was so epic .. both my kids were watching and we stopped playing for about 20 minutes to run around like crazy people :D

Zora City! That was it. Man, I found it frustrating and tedious, gotta love how different people experience the same thing. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent game and I enjoyed most of my time with it, but something about it never really clicked.

I'm very curious about the sequel though, see what's changed.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yeah, not anytime soon.

did a first basic run in 2018 and now in 2019 i rediscovered the game and am playing still haha.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Towers & exploration were my favorite part - got to all the main areas of the map.

Then I did two of the beasts & stopped.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got about 20 hours in, starting and stopping, before realizing the game wasn't for me. The flaws in the game ruined the experience, overshadowing the greatness of exploring the world. I have high hopes for a sequel because there is genius here, it just feels like there were issues with the game's development.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Once I had left the plateau I went on a journey and unlocked all the towers, then I spent 100 hours exploring until I decided to head to the castle and beat Ganon. Afterwards I played another 40 hours in which I finished the remaining shrines and side quests. Didn't touch the game for 1.5 years then, but just last week I jumped back in and started playing through the DLC, which I'll wrap up tonight. However, I'm so hooked again that I'll probably sink a couple of hours more into it and explore some small pockets I haven't been to yet.

My favorite game of all time.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Loved the game. After around 50 hours I had unlocked all the towers, gained the master sword, beaten the divine beasts, completed 70 shrines, and had enough korok seed inventory upgrades and stamina boosts and divine beast abilities to make the rest of the game a cakewalk. At that point, while I kinda wanted to look around for a few more shrines and investigate the dragons etc, I could feel myself getting a bit bored, so I ran at Ganon. And then found out that the one single line of 'the area in front of the castle is crawling with guardians!' had made me avoid the beasts best placed to teach me how to fight Ganon for most of the game :D

Fantastic adventure. I'll go back to it one and playthrough again, tackling the map and the beasts in a different order, but I did enjoy being able to decide for myself when I thought I was ready for endgame, rather than it going on for ever like a lot of bloated jrpgs.

Jun 26, 2018
I'm always contemplating going back to the game, but I played in such a weird way, did all the beasts, restarted, did them all again and stopped playing for a long time, and then suddenly just beat the game by skipping the entirety of hyrule castle by climbing one of the giant pillars outside and gliding in.

After that I've gone back and started over, did all the beasts and got stuck on the trial of the sword. Now, I'm playing around with master mode a little bit, every now and then.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Once I did the four divine beasts and defeated Ganon. I uncovered the full map on the process and did whatever shrines and korok seeds I saw. I felt no need to complete anything beyond that. I have a feeling my next playthrough will be much shorter.

That's exactly how I went about it. However, I have zero intention of playing the game again. Pretty much if a game is longer than 4-8 hours, I'll never play it again after I finish it.