• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017

giphy1xkog.gif

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never went clubbing per se, but did go to a lot of local rock/punk shows and... yeah About mid to late 20s started to realize I was aging out purely by demographic. Friends bands started playing more 21+ venues instead and then I petered out entirely because the atmosphere was more focused on drinking and standing around. Only old folks at the bar with their arms crossed.

Last edited:

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a bar rat, and have been since I was old enough to drink. So my favorite social drinking experiences where always a bar, with seating and nice stools at the bar. I love talking with the random people that sit down and can take in the atmosphere for a long time. Hotel bars are some of my favorites when I'm traveling because the cross section of people is usually so diverse.

I went to some clubs with people on occasion but just never felt like you could relax. Vegas is the exception. Getting a booth at a Vegas club as the groups anchor point was always enjoyable.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Still hasn't happened. I'm pushing 40 and I'm attending, throwing and playing at more parties than ever it seems. I really like dance music so ain't nobody keeping me off that dancefloor.

that being said, I'm sure I'd feel like a fish out of water at a top 40 type night

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
When I was about 18, and first visited a club. Didn't understand why people enjoyed them then, and that impression has been reaffirmed every single time I've been to one since.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*grandparent, I'm non-binary

And I don't know, I've always felt out of place at clubs, so now that I'm 35 it doesn't feel much different. I just dance and have fun.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was never a club guy more of a lounge guy. To paraphrase the greatest rapper of all time- I don't have any game, I just tell my story.

It's funny, as a youth I felt a lot of self pressure to try to hook up. If I were dragged out to a club now I would have lots of fun getting hammered and dancing by myself.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I still go clubbing from time to time. Just not to the kind of clubs the kids go to.

When I lived in Berlin I went to Berghain/Bar 25/ Tresor a lot. I was always one of the youngest at Berghain and they only let me in at first because I was with people the bouncers knew. The average age there is mid-30s. I still go there whenever I visit family and friends but I would not go to a techno club where I live now.
That's me basically. At 39 I'm probably on the older spectrum but I mostly go to small clubs in Brooklyn that are pretty different from the techno multi floor imagery people think off when they hear the word "club". Dark venues with synth wave or retro 80's nights or disco/deep house stuff. This is also mostly because I enjoy the music and dancing, vibes are typically great.

I went to Tresor in Berlin, I had a great time there. Crowd was diverse and chill but I loved hanging out in the yard and talking to people. Also realized some people are super young, it's not quite like that in NYC as they are very strict about that.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. When things settle down a bit for you personally and professionally, clubbing to get drunk and hook-up feels so weird, almost foreign even though you did those things back when you were younger. Fuck, im more concerned with a club's menu and beer selection nowadays instead of the music and dancing.

Oct 26, 2017
The clubs I tend to go to don't serve alcohol as they're more of the afterhours variety. Also the crowd is a pretty good mix of all age groups.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
the year was 2016, I was with my then GF, DJ was playing a song that we have never heard, everyone was singing along and dancing to the stupidest song you can imagine, I looked around and there were only kids 10+ years younger than us, shortly after I stopped going to clubs.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
From the reactions here clubbing varies wildly country to country. American clubs sounds like they're filled with teenagers right?

My experience leans more to the Berlin guys in here. Where we go ages go from 18 to 50, and nobody looks weird if 40 something guys enter.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
From the reactions here clubbing varies wildly country to country. American clubs sounds like they're filled with teenagers right?
No, they are very strict at least in NYC, but mainstream clubs are silly. Music is silly, lots of younger douchey crowd looking for a fight, douchey bouncers, minimum drink limits, table service etc.

Vs the more non mainstream, lesser known clubs that cater to specific music, a bit more of an eclectic, mixed crowd etc. Everybody is laid back, and typically they have a consent rule for touching. Essentially the crowds are older and more mature.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always liked hanging out with friends and listening to music but I can't dance. I used to do this sway like I could totally dance but was too cool (at least that's what I told myself it looked like - I also used to think I looked like an assassin waiting for his target to arrive if I got anywhere early) and I would only try to actually dance if I thought snogging was a potential outcome.

I'd way rather go see bands when I was a student in Edinburgh or themed music nights at various pubs and clubs in the city. It's also easy to forget how much fighting there was in Scottish clubs compared to the US. I mean of course it happens here but back there it was GUARANTEED. You'd see people reflexively cover and hold their beers when they sensed it was about to kick off. Even if you couldn't see or hear where the incident was festering you'd grab your pint instinctively. And yes it was always Begbie.

I moved to Bath in England after college and there wasn't exactly a big club scene but there was a notorious beloved and almost literal shithole nicknamed "Bog Island" (edit. Yaaasssss https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/28662294444. ) because it was a converted part subterranean Victorian toilet complex. We'd go there when we were desperate to meet girls, ANY girls, little realizing that the sentiment was mutual.

San Francisco had 1014 Folsom and the creepy place that served breakfast to the zombie clubbers. I once saw the (American) boss of a famous and respectable foreign company get off his face on illicit snacks there and become the Warning Chris Rock tried to give us.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
At 27. The worst part is that I love dancing, but people are so young around me I don't feel comfortsble.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think about 24. I'm almost 28 now and I think me and my friends just learned to like a regular bar experience more, where we just sit down, have some drinks and talk.

Dec 2, 2017
I went to Tresor in Berlin, I had a great time there. Crowd was diverse and chill but I loved hanging out in the yard and talking to people. Also realized some people are super young, it's not quite like that in NYC as they are very strict about that.

Tresor has always had a bunch of (underage) kids. I used to be one of them in the late 90s. I haven't been there much after they closed down the old venue in 2005. The new place is fun but the old venue used to be something else.

They made a really neat documentary about the old place.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I only occasionally enjoyed clubs while abroad, and while I was on a 8 month trip through a bunch of countries.

I haven't been in a club in like 2.5 years though, and I don't really miss it. More often than not it sucks and it feels like everyone is trying hard to have fun but very few actually do.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Tresor has always had a bunch of (underage) kids. I used to be one of them in the late 90s. I haven't been there much after they closed down the old venue in 2005. The new place is fun but the old venue used to be something else.

They made a really neat documentary about the old place.

Cool, I'll watch it when I get a chance. I really enjoyed my time in Berlin and would go back in a heartbeat. I was staying in Friedrichshein which is basically like Bushwick, Brooklyn. Lot of friendly bartenders, we had a great time there. Can't forget the Doner kebabs....

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Like 25 at the 18+ clubs.

21+ place come in a lot of different varieties but still probably late 20s for most places.

As a side note, dudes in their 30s-40s at the 18+ places always came off as kinda weird to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I went to a club in chicago when i was 23. There was a live camel, and the female waitstaff were all topless but had paint and paisties. Thats when i knew i was an old man. I am so much older now.