• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you start going bald?

• Early 20s or sooner

Votes: 167 48.7%
  • Late 20s

Votes: 97 28.3%
  • Early 30s

Votes: 38 11.1%
  • Late 30s

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Early 40s

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Late 40s or later

Votes: 15 4.4%

• Total voters

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've had really thin hair for as long as I remember and it just got progressively worse. When I was 34 I came to a point where I really just had to shave it all because it was looking weird. Best decision I ever made btw.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My hair started to thin a bit around 30-31 but then just kinda stopped. I'm 34 and don't see any difference. If not it actually grew back a bit. I was worried but I'm starting to think it coulda been stress/diet related maybe.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mid twenties but I imagine it probably started before that and wasn't noticeable. The shock I got was in a changing room with mirrors on all sides and noticed the little balding spot at the back, nooooooo. I just keep my hair short, it's that sort middle ground were shaving your head is extreme because you have loads of hair except that part and keeping you hair long is stupid denial so I'm just going short and neat.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Mid 20s is when it hit me. Got a hair cut and when they showed it off I noticed my hair starting to thin in the back. That's when I knew I was fucked.

Last year was the first time where I said screw it and just cut it down with a 1. Thankfully I can still grow a beard.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I first noticed something going on around... 23 or so?

I'm 34 now and still have a pretty lush head of hair. Def thinning on the crown though.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Probably when I was 15, but thankfully it has advanced very slowly. Wish I was not so stressed about it all these years, since it's not that bad, and I am about 3 or 4 years from actually needing to just buzzcut or shave completly.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 25 and my hair is as full as it's ever been, this threads is seriously filling me with dread about the future. The day I start losing my hair is the day I slip into depression, no joke.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 38 now, might be receding a tiny bit on my temples, but otherwise still all there. Am starting to see some gray hairs now and then though.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
O0Jc7YU.gif

Lmao, it's nowhere near that bad thankfully.

R3p3DYV.jpg

As you can see there's a thinner patch on the back of my head near the crown, and there's another, more hidden one near where my actual hairline is. If were to do a straight down comb they're super noticeable, but with the side comb it's mostly fine. Probably helps that I'm 6 feet tall and most people rarely can see the top of my head.

Also damn do I need a haircut.

Oct 27, 2017
My hair is fine at the moment but I fear going bald and worry about it a lot! Which will probably make me go bald!

So with this thread I wanna know what age I'll be safe from going bald tbh
That's crazy because there has never been a time in my life where being bald is as accepted as it is now. I mean, 30 or 40 years ago sure but baldness today is totally accepted by nearly everyone in my experience.

I'm not bald btw, or even thinning up top so I get it's easy for me to say

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
21, with the end of days currently (29). No big deal, as my head is a decent shape and I just buzz it down to nothing and can grow a dope beard. I'm over it honestly.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At about 18 it started to get noticeable. Was really really upsetting after spending most of my teens having shoulder length hair and loving it. Started by trimming it right back and trying to style it to cover up the bad hairline, before just giving up and shaving it off completely by the time I reached mid 20s. Wanted to avoid the Friar Tuck look at all costs.
One small mercy is that I gained the ability to grow a decent beard around the time the balding got really obvious, so I have that to fall back on at least.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Hair began thinning in my late 20s, like 27. Now I am balding in the front and crown of my head. Funny thing, if I let my hair get too long it is noticeable, but if I keep it shorter I can still style it and it's not as noticeable.

I am starting to get more and more grey hairs now, which I don't mind compared to the balding.

My wife is getting bummed though that I am balding and hates the idea I may be fully bald one day.

For an idea of where I am at right now I'm like Rob Corddry on the Daily Show. Have a tuft of hair in the front but all the hair around it has fallen out or thinned to near nothingness. The tuft was where my hairline used to be.

Last edited:

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My partner started balding in his early twenties and is mostly bald now in his 30s. He could grow a killer cul-de-sac and some tufts if he wants.

My hairline started to recede in my late twenties but im *older* now and it's still just a little receding

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed the past couple of months that I am receding in the front. My hair was down to my shoulders up until yesterday. I decided to buzz cut and I can see it a lot more clearly now. In my mid 30's. Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
Around 22. Started using rogaine at 24. I still have my hair at 26 (my hairline seems to be better than most people my age) but I wonder if it will last forever if I keep this rogaine use up.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my dad didn't lose his hair until his 40s, his brother didn't have noticeable hairloss until his 50s. so you never really know when you're out of the woods

i saw hints of thinning at 30 and started taking propecia. seems to do the trick but wouldn't be surprised if it all just falls out some day, genetics always wins in the end

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mid 20s I guess, I only found out when a colleague told me that I was losing my hair at the top when I was 29. I'm 33 now and it's going fast. I buzz it with no guard every 3 weeks. All the males on both sides of my family are losing their hair, I never had a chance.

Last edited:

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Not balding but some receding/thinning up front (I'm 44). I first noticed it a couple years ago and my heart sank, I really took it hard - only because I've always had a mop of hair and one of those guys people always say "oh you'll never go bald!" to... so I felt bamboozled haha.

But then I looked at pics of myself from the past 5-10 years and realized it had been going that way veeeerrrryyyyy gradually, and I just happened to finally NOTICE a couple years ago. And then I just had to shrug and say look I'm getting older it is what it is and I'm not my hair, and now I'm alright with it.

But man, when you first notice it can be rough. Even more so if you're young.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
37 and still no balding, thank the lord. I have had gray creeping into my hair since my early 20's however.

Same.

I made an off-hand remark to someone who was bald and kept going on about how thick my hair is and said, "Well, I've got some gey coming in so it isn't all great having so much hair."

Literally could have insulted his mother and would have gotten a more positive reaction from him.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
I started at 19, by 21 I was cutting my own hair with a trimmer and by 30 I was using a razor. I am quite hairy anywhere else though lol

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
About a year ago, so about midway through being 28 years old.

It's depressing as fuck. I'm hoping that some of it was stress-related and that my new job will help cut it back.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
My front hairline is creeping back on the top corners, but no balding going on.

Just gray coming in on the sides.

Edit - early 40s

My dad had a mostly full head of gray hair in his 80s, so I'm hopeful I'll just have a slow receeding hairline the rest of my life like he did.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
34 and haven't noticed a changed as of yet.

I keep my hair long for extended periods of time and then just cut it all off once a year or so and it always looks the same to me. I guess it is possible that if I kept it short and trimmed all the time I might notice some recession if I compared it to me ten years ago. I don't know, though.

Both my brothers (one older and one younger) are balding significantly. I guess I got lucky somehow.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
I'm bald AF. I started shaving my head as soon as I was getting made fun of for my thinning hair in my early-mid-20s. It's creepy and a little surprising how many men think that the George Costanza look is fooling anyone into thinking they have hair. It's the difference between looking strong and confident or looking like a guy who buys ladies' undergarments from a vending machine. I just wish I could wear hats without them leaving a little visible indent in my skin.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
Everyone on my mom's side of the family is bald.

I was at a family get together and my uncle just looked at me and was like, "Enjoy it while it lasts. :("

Here I am six months later and just noticed a thinning patch on the back of my head. What is he some kind of fuckin' psychic >:(

Rijasy

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey, BC, Canada
I don't know when it started, but just turned 30 last year and I've noticed thinning on the top. Its not really noticeable yet (unless I soak my head) but I'm keeping a close eye on it these days. I feel like I'll be shaving by 35. :(

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
There should be a 'still going strong' option. That said, I think I'm starting to thin out a bit around the temples, but no changes to the actual hairline yet. Also realising that my balded form will resemble Frank Barone.