• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
When it came out on PS1. So I guess that would be 1997. I had been following its progress for a long time.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
A few months after release. I borrowed a friend's copy and his PlayStation. I gave back the PlayStation and bought my own, pretty much 100% because of FF7. Before I borrowed it we had played through most of the game together at his house.

I was drawing buster swords and arm guns on my binders all through freshman year.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it a little bit shortly after release on a friend's PSX, but didn't play it fully until the PC release in 1998.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I got it in either 98 or 99. I know I got it from my brother and if not immediately after beating it, then at least shortly after I bought FFVIII and that IX wasn't out at the time.
Been my favorite game since then.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played it as a kid (so around 2000-ish), didn't understand it and couldn't get past the first reactor (I was around 4) so me and my brother gave up. Years later the PSX 2015 remake trailer and my friend convinced me to get VII on PS4 where I ended up loving it and getting into the rest of the series.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I first saw it at a friend's house when the demo came out in NA, and first played it when the full game came out. So, 1997.

I loved the game. In the grand scheme of things, it overshadows other great stuff that came before and after it but it was a spectacle for its time and the dream-like atmosphere resonated with me.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was 2000 (PS1). My dad bought it for me and my brother and I distinctly remember picking it out of the bag as soon as we got outside and being excited at the thick case and multiple disks.

Even though we stopped playing near the end of the Shinra Headquarters part (we found it too difficult to understand how to play), and from the relative little progress we made, we took enough in from the story and atmosphere to make it feel like an odyssey and a journey of itself. It felt very special. As a consequence, I had never felt as anticipated for a title as ff8.

It was only many years later that I would actually finish the game. I was worried about it feeling aged, but thankfully it wasn't the case and the full course felt as enchanting as the starter did back then.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I played it sometime in the first half of the 2000's. I actually played it *after* Final Fantasy 8.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it would be been probably around 2010-2011 when I first played it. Bought it on the PS3 as a PS1 Classic, didn't finish it at the time though. Ended up actually beating it when it came out on PS4

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
January 1998

I had just got my PS1 for christmas that year, and I saw my cousin playing it at my grandmothers house. He was in Mt Corel just crossing the long bridge into the mining town.
I obsessed over that game for almost a month and my Dad found a used copy at a Sears Outlet... I then played through the first reactor and some of the 5th reactor for weeks until we got a Memory Card from biway.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember at my daycare when I was 7 or 8 years old one of the workers brought in their PS1 and we played the beginning of FF7 over and over (they never brought in a memory card). I never got past the beginning until a few years ago.

NoirLamia777

Jan 13, 2019
Around 2000 I want to say. Friend had it and he booted it up - I was very casually into games and really just played mario and spyro. Didn't even know rpgs existed haha. Needless to say after that I borrowed it from him and got hooked.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Launch day, was I was freshman year at a commuter college, left my first class in the hour break between the two classes I had that morning to go to the nearby mall to see if they had it at any of the game selling shops of the time (this is far prior to Gamestop or even Best Buy being everywhere, just the odd Electronics Boutique and Babbages were around, and this mall didn't have those). Nothing at KB-Toys/sears/boscovs, but luckily one of those now non-existent overpriced Cd/VHS shops of the era that also sold some games behind the counter happened to have it.

I had to rush back to school for one more English class (which killed me to sit through) then went home and had my mind blown like probably nothing else.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
At launch with my girlfriend at the time (now my wife). I was working 12 hour night shifts and she worked a normal 9-5. I played 12 hours straight while she slept through the night with her head in my lap.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. But I bought the PS1 version like 10 years ago or something so I'll eventually get around to it.

...once I get 5 and 6 off my backlog.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
When it first came out and I was around 10, my much older brother-in-law was playing through the early part of the game. He had previously shown me M rated games such as Resident Evil and Duke Nukem 3D that I couldn't play, not because my parents didn't let me but because I didn't have a PC or Playstation, and this was next for him to show me. I had played previous FF's so I knew they weren't explicit (in English versions anyway), but him showing me Barret say "Shit" and Cloud threatening to chop the Don's balls off was world shattering! I immediately begged for a Playstation and Final Fantasy 7 was maybe the first game I got for it, before I even had a memory card. I didn't realize I needed one to save so I played through the first few hours of the game multiple times before I finally got a memory card to continue through the game.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
a few days before it released in the US. a game store around 20 miles from home broke street date on it.

i had played the Tobal demo prior to it but that doesn't count!

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Launch day in USA. I was in 7th grade so I stayed home from school (which I never did. so I felt like I earned it.), walked to the Toys 'R Us a couple blocks from my house, picked it up, came home and played nonstop.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
1997, I didn't have a memory card for the first two or three weeks though, so I'd just play up to Wall Market each time, sometimes reach the sewers, then switch it off.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dec 1997 at a family member house - just played the first mission.

Fully played the game when I got a PS1 in 1999.

Oct 26, 2017
Must have been '98. My friend at school was obsessed with it and even recorded the first hour or so on VHS for me to watch he was just that eager to share something he was passionate about. WE never had a PlayStation until after I'd left school so by the time I played it we'd pretty much lost contact.

My main memory of the game is starting it up one evening and I played it right up until the party leaves Midgar. I recall finally deciding to save and quit at that point, turning off the PS then being amazed at daylight streaming through the window I'd played continuously right through the night without realizing it. To this day, no game had made me completely lose track of time like that.
The thing is, that first part was by far the most enjoyment I had with it, I don't remember the rest nearly as fondly.

Beck

Oct 27, 2017
I think 1998. My cousin was on his way home from a trip when his connecting flight here was cancelled, so he stayed with my family for a couple days. He bought his brother two games: FFVII and Resident Evil 2. He let me and my brother play them, and while I played games before that, that kind of kickstarted my love of RPGs and horror games.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
1999, just before the release of FF8. A friend introduced me to it, I had no idea what Final Fantasy was before that(I was a Genesis kid in the 16bit era).

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I got it a few days before launch. I had access to a distributor and got the game early.

It was magic.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Watched a coworker play through the Japanese demo at work whenever it came out, and that pretty much cemented it in everyone's mind that we'd be there day one when it came out stateside. We all caravaned to the mall to pick up our copies on release day, and we all played it nonstop over the next couple/few weeks. I still don't like the ending though. LOL I'm hoping the remake fleshes things out... although it'll be a damn long time until we get to that point.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
German launch day on PC. I still remember this vividly. My friend laughed at me for buying it because he thought the demo was kinda bad and strange. We then played together deep into the night and couldn't stop.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Got Tobal No. 1 from CompUSA for the demo then preordered it at Babbages, I think. Scored a nifty Cloud shirt preorder bonus. I didn't appreciate Suikoden or Wild Arms enough at the time, so FFVII was in essence, my first true RPG.