• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Who Could Kill A Child, Beware: Children At Play, Murder-Set-Pieces, and Don't Torture A Duckling.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jaws has maybe the only bloody child killing to get a PG.
I'm sure I saw a movie recently that had adults killing children en mass, but I can't remember the name.
Freddy Got Fingered is a comedy that features a child getting chopped up by an airplane propellor, complete with his father being covered in kid-giblets.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Bad Seed (1956)

Basically a whole movie of a little girl killing a child for his shoes and attempting to cover up the murder

Oct 25, 2017
The first one I really remember was AVP. Not sure why that's one that stuck with me.

AVP 2 actually.... and we don't talk about that one. :(

Killing a child in a ludicrous King fashion is awesome, AVP 2 was basically a snuff movie pretending to be about aliens.
AVP 1 has no children in it, which is kind of a recurring thing with W. S. Anderson films. No kids allowed, I guess.

Though since you mention it, ALIENS (1986) actually has implied children deaths in the DC version, even if story wise that should be 'just as' obvious in the theatrical cut since Newt literally has a line about her brother, but only the DC actually shows kids other than Newt directly.

Kid get kablammo'd all the time.

Oh fuck! I completely forgot about that one! Beautiful comic relief scene.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

I dont know which movie its cut from.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just remembered that several kids got hacked up in Sleepaway Camp.
Clown had a child-eating clown that actually eats children.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Hostel 2 was the first movie I saw that stands out for having the torture boss kill a kid at point blank range.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A long ass time.

Even back in the 90s with Demon Knight they had a possessed kid get killed.

Oct 28, 2017
I was recently watching a movie at the theatre and this kid got abducted and tied down. Ok, the camera will cut away and we'll hear his screams, I thought. Nope. They went to town on this little boy who was anywhere between 10-12 years old.Dude was getting stabbed, and screaming his bloodied lil face off. I was so shocked and kinda disgusted? Like, I wasn't disgusted because someone was dying, but rather because I'm not used to seeing a kid die like that in a movie. When did this start happening?

My bad. I forgot I could spoiler the movie title. It was
Doctor Sleep
This scene really disturbed me too

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
Halloween 2018 shows
Michael strangle a child and snap his neck. He also approaches a crying baby in a crib later in the movie, but doesn't harm them.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A kid's head exploding as he gets backed over by a car was the main selling point of The Toxic Avenger.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Kids dying in films has been a thing for decades. It runs the gamut from the sad and tragic to the shlocky and over the top. From the kid getting run over by a steamroller in Maximum Overdrive to Ash getting creamed in the first Pokemon movie.
The best movies make it meaningful, Doctor Sleep's scene is upsetting, terrifying and not shlocky or gory. A movie like The Blob remake has a more shlocky/gory version, but it still has some impact because it cements the notion that no-one is safe from it and it doesn't fuck around. Pet Semetary (the original movie) has a little toddler die in what would be a gruesome way, but it's fundamental to the story. We see him killed again after being essentially put down by his father, and even though he was an evil little shit when he came back, it was still a heart-wrenching scene.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
This year there has been three Stephen King movies in cinemas and all 3 have featured brutal child deaths.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
This your first introduction to horror? Sometimes kids die in horror flicks. Sometimes kids do the killing, which can be just as disturbing.

Oct 27, 2017
From reading this thread, my impression is that most on-screen child deaths are done to shock the viewer. Though this is not always the case, in the vast majority of cases the child/baby character is disposable.
It is. Its why I laugh when people mention how amazing The Last of Us was for getting you to care about whatchamacallit. Harming kids is the cheesiest shortcut to emotional resonance in existence. It's one step above killing the girlfriend to motivate the hero.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was always a thing. To be honest I never felt more empathy for someone for being a kid. Maybe in real life but definitely not in movie/games.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
That scene described in the OP sounds fucked

I watched this movie Tigers Are Not Afraid A few weeks back. There's some child deaths in there that really messed me up :(

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Dunno, it's always been a possibility but never happened often enough that it ceased to be surprising if you know what I mean.