• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking at old QuakeCon photos and wanted to see when there was an obvious shift from CRTs to LCDs. Dreamhack information not listed here.

1996 - 2001: Not really any LCDs during these years.

C2El3XO.jpg

XuLCAzy.jpg

K0qKy2J.jpg

RcnNJPz.jpg

WmpdJ4t.jpg

fwLiXrF.jpg

Though the exception here seems to be the Apple setups:

54AZ8HU.jpg

UF3Mpj2.jpg

2001 - 2004 is mostly still CRTs, but some vendors seem to have LCDs as a part of their displays. The odd individual also seems to have one. Apple still representing:

IiK0ayl.jpg

WO5OGPp.jpg

Q4nDAfv.jpg

Tauf9rs.jpg

niaK9v1.jpg

nu38pQ0.jpg

QQ1PMpj.jpg

gtQnhIu.jpg

sM4Ehub.jpg

Still CRTs in 2005, but I think there's a slight increase in the individuals that have their own LCDs over 2004:

hOaJlF7.jpg

Y8eFwdU.jpg

f8Z5Yc7.jpg

2006 still has CRTs, but also way more LCDs:

Ie4gbFJ.jpg

5tYFaWs.jpg

SCQGNjT.jpg

And 2007 - no CRTs in sight! I guess this was the year:

qw43Z2w.jpg

S7ehziB.jpg

JKSInt2.jpg

BD87LEd.jpg

A4PU0S0.jpg

DrIGvxH.jpg

3BxEBLF.jpg

So, 2007 I guess. I wonder what the bandwidth carbon footprint of this thread is to just say "2007"?

Bonus Fact: Consumpion of Bawls™ energy drink appears to have peaked in 2003 - 2004

15kyWhK.jpg

Last edited:

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Poor CRT's. They were pretty much perfect displays for gaming but then everyone took a massive step back with LCD.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The transition from CRT to LCD was so, so rough, forced upon me from my Samsung SyncMaster starting to whine and wobble in the late 2000s.

Still not happy with LCDs, then again I also don't have one of them superduper 144Hz ones. At least the geometry is on point...? 2D gaming on my Sony Trinitron was a mess.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Cool!

I cant really remember when I swapped my CRT for a flat screen myself. I remember having a CRT on Dreamhack 2004, but after that my memory falls a bit short..

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Surprised LCD took over so fast, I guess the weight was much more reasonable for LANs.
I don't remember exactly when I got my first LCD screen but there's no way any of them were even decent back in 2007.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
So that's where the ice caps went. Jokes aside, what a fun time to be a competitive gamer.

I wince when I think of what became of old CRTs, we made the switch at home around 05/06 I believe

Nov 14, 2017
Wow. I went to QuakeCon in 97. Seeing those pictures was a big nostalgia hit.

I missing my old 19" CRT again cos of this thread.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Loved my crt, but I hated carrying it anywhere. Really though, that's about all that changed in PC gaming (in terms of your typical setup). Still have the box, keyboard, mouse and mousepad. My headphones got better though.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Aspyr setup looks like the one from 2002. I remember seeing some of those thicker LCD screens there that year, but most folks had CRTs. I lugged my own into thr BYOC room that year and everyone around me had CRTs too.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Weight, heat output, shipping costs, space, etc. Lots of reasons, I imagine.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Tauf9rs.jpg

Urban Terror and a bunch of Ratpadz in the same picture. Fucking nostalgia overload.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
For some reason in my head i always picture that we went from huge fat ass CRT Tv's to perfectly slim and sleek looking LCD displays but looking at some old pics is always a good reminder of how hideous most early LCD looked like.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Going from high end early-mid 2000s CRT to blurry as hell with awful black levels and viewing angles LCD was an atrocious experience.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
The headphones... I remember everyone just using whatever cheapo headphones they could find. Today's it's a whole different story. Same with mice/keyboards.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
All those amazing cargo shorts.

And lol, some of those PC cases, owned a few.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a blast from the blast. I know when I made the switch. I had an old Compaq CRT that somehow burned out (smelled like burnt electronics) in Summer 2015. What blew my mind was how laggy my new Sceptre LCD was and I couldn't figure it out why when playing Guild Wars/CS. I bought a 2nd Samsung LCD monitor and the lag was less extreme.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Take me back to the days of Quake 2 and 3 LAN. I miss those days. Counter Strike Betas, Unreal Tournament 99, Day of Defeat, Action Quake, Team Fortress. Good times.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I wish SED didn't get patent squat'd out of existence. LCD sucked hard back then and still kinda does today.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
For some reason in my head i always picture that we went from huge fat ass CRT Tv's to perfectly slim and sleek looking LCD displays but looking at some old pics is always a good reminder of how hideous most early LCD looked like.

Compared to modern displays, sure, but they're definitely a lot sleeker than contemporary CRTs.

Naturally they use similar external materials and aesthetics, those reflect the design standards of the time rather than with technological jumps, but the thin form factor goes a long way.

It is easy to forget that transitions tend to be gradual, even technological breakthroughs.

Deleted member 1659

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could never go back to CRTs. I can't believe so many people here actually miss them.

I would take the trade off in visual fidelity for space saving convenience everytime. The standard screen size for CRTS back in the day were between 14-19 inches - with thick bezels.

Yeah I get they had a faster refresh rate and more brilliant colours but it's because of LCD's that the standard monitor size has.

Last edited:

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I could never go back to CRTs. I can't believe so many people here actually miss them.

I would take the trade off in visual fidelity for space saving convenience everytime. The standard screen size for CRTS back in the day were between 14-19 inches - with thick bezels.

Yeah I get they had a faster refresh rate and more brilliant colours but it's because of LCD's that the standard monitor size has.

I don't miss lugging them around that's for sure.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good times.

I guess this means we are all old fucks, right ?

I expect more of this nostalgic threads in the next years.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't give up on CRT monitors until 2009. 2007? Amateurs...

I'm just glad LCDs keep improving because I'd be fucking depressed if we still had 2007 LCD tech.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic OP and it's made me greatly miss Quakecon :(

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
That Aspyr setup looks like the one from 2002. I remember seeing some of those thicker LCD screens there that year, but most folks had CRTs. I lugged my own into thr BYOC room that year and everyone around me had CRTs too.
Even today I like those thicker LCDs. It's why those boxy professional colour grading ones or whatever look good to me lol. Or that pro Somy monitor that Apple was comparing their XDR display to.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That's roughly around when LCDs started to become more affordable for most people and the image quality wasn't nearly as shit. For a long the the dimness and expense wasn't worth it. Hell I think this may have been around when I got my first flat panel, as well. Not much worse than having to deal with a terrible frequency whine or, if you were really unlucky, capacitor/PSU whine on a CRT and being the only one who can hear it.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I don't know what it would have been like transitioning from a CRT with great motion clarity and contrast to a 2003 era LCD. It would have been a complete step down, why did people want to transition so fast?

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. Very nostalgic, as this covered my peak university comp-sci PC gaming years, and I recognize a lot of specific hardware. The CRTs were great, but man, PC cases, peripherals, etc. of the era were such ugly junk.

One of my roommates had a couple dozen cases of Bawls shipped to him, because we couldn't buy it anywhere in our small Canadian city. He'd sell some to other nerds we knew, but mostly we drank it all.