• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a burner facebook account for things I sign up for that I don't want to pollute my real account. Offers, promotions , mobile games ect tend to spam your facebook with ads and one of the ways to get free stuff is to spam your friends list with invites.

So today while linking the facebook account with a mobile game, facebook asked me for a real picture ID or I can't enter. I was like WTF even if this was a real account I wouldn't give you my real ID. Plus since this is a burner account, I didn't use a real name so I don't really have an ID with the name "Ken Masters".

So is there anyway around this? Normally I don't care but I do have a couple mobile games linked to this account (primarily FFRK)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They've used real IDs to prove identity for several years now. There was a whole thing a few years ago where they cracked down on people using names that aren't their legal names. It was stupid.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience they've been using real ID forever for people with a name identical or really close to a celebrity, a brand, a real place, stuff like that. A friend of mine has a real city name for his last name, and creating an account was a pain in the ass because of that.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I deleted my facebook a few years back, but back when I used it, I had used several fake variations on my real name. I tried to change it once too many times, and they said I needed ID. I told them they couldn't be trusted with that information and asked support to change it without it. They declined, so I guess they've done this for a while.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I guess the idea is to deter identity theft but I can also see how that would be really inconvenient for OP's case.

Ken Masters might be the name of a Street Fighter character but is also a common name.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Facebook can't be trusted with that data... so fuck that sentiment.

Delete your Facebook. If you don't feel safe on social media being a real person, don't use social media.

We can't go on living in a fake world where fake things are amplified as real facts by massive botnets and sock puppets. It's going to end humanity.

OP
OP

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely not trusting facebook with my real stuff.

Now I need to figure out how to unlink my mobile games, they're my backup in case I lose my phone or something.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Take your real id, blur out anything that identifies you outside of the name and picture, and Photoshop the name. Send it to them.

I, or quite a few other people on here, can Photoshop your name if you need me to. (check their terms before doing that though 🤣 )

I would think you could deny them your ID somehow, but I've never had to do this.

Oct 25, 2017
no
My FB has a very fake name, and I've never had to prove my ID.

Then I tried to make an alt account a few weeks ago with a pretty normal name, and it was like HALT STOP.

I dunno what its problem is other than facebook is garbo

OP
OP

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe they've done this to me, so maybe it's a requirement for suspected bot accounts?

I could see a burner account being misidentified as one.
The fuck. I have a Facebook account and never did that shit.

Is this something they do when they suspect shit and otherwise they don't?

Its a burner account that's friends with many burner accounts. It was created like 7 years ago for a game called Quiz RPG where one of the ways to get a ton of game currency was to spam on facebook. This just became my defacto sign up for shit you expect spam for account. If you looked at the front page of the account you basically saw endless streams of ads and invites.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a burner account that's friends with many burner accounts. It was created like 7 years ago for a game called Quiz RPG where one of the ways to get a ton of game currency was to spam on facebook. This just became my defacto sign up for shit you expect spam for account. If you looked at the front page of the account you basically saw endless streams of ads and invites.
Well... that's not how Facebook wants their platform to be used, and it's understandable since allowing such social media anonymity has proven to be extremely harmful. Delete Facebook or suck it up and verify.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
Asking for an id isnt that bad. Isnt it common in South Korea that online game services require a social security to sign up?(and/or phone number?)

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got you, OP.

3VA8QkX.jpg

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but I'm glad I got in before they did. I work doing social media stuff so I've got a work account and a real one.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a really long time. Fake accounts are against their ToS. If you don't agree, don't use Facebook. As they say, you don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

Oct 26, 2017
Never had to use an ID...but I signed up when it was first available at my school w/ a required email address back in the dark ages of social media. Come to think of it the internet was a much happier place back then :P.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I hope my Facebook spams fake Ray-Ban ads nowadays.

Users should have the full right to be anonymous, as it makes things harder for scum to find people's real info to post online to harass them with or worse, ignores how people go by nicknames in real life, and it's not like this very forum is lurked by a group of scum who do nothing but harass minorities online for the crime of existing and would love to have their legal names.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook requested me to send them a picture of my state ID at one point.

The Terms of Service for Facebook does state:

Facebook

1. Who can use Facebook
When people stand behind their opinions and actions, our community is safer and more accountable. For this reason, you must:
  • Use the same name that you use in everyday life.
  • Provide accurate information about yourself.
  • Create only one account (your own) and use your timeline for personal purposes.
  • Not share your password, give access to your Facebook account to others, or transfer your account to anyone else (without our permission).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I hope my Facebook spams fake Ray-Ban ads nowadays.

Users should have the full right to be anonymous, as it makes things harder for scum to find people's real info to post online to harass them with or worse, ignores how people go by nicknames in real life, and it's not like this very forum is lurked by a group of scum who do nothing but harass minorities online for the crime of existing and would love to have their legal names.

If you don't want people finding your real info, don't use Facebook...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people used to have the quaint idea that FB requiring real names would lead to more civility on the network?

OP -- I think you should photoshop your "real" ID. Facebook doesn't run it against anything but a machine processing algorithm that checks the name to see if it roughly matches the name on your account. They definitely store your ID though and you should not provide that to Facebook unless it's fake. Google your state's ID in Google Images, and change the name.

Verify everyone. Verify the whole planet. End the bots and sock puppets.

No, this is a horrible idea. Anonymity or Pseudoanonymity online is a critical protection that vulnerable people need and deserve. There's also no relationship between civility and verified accounts. How many blue checks do you see on twitter sharing absolutely disgusting thoughts? They're all "verified."

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
since uhhh 2012

i remember because they gave me 48 hours to upload a real ID or my account would be gone.

My account got terminated so i lost years of memories etc because of their random security checks

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
No, this is a horrible idea. Anonymity or Pseudoanonymity online is a critical protection that vulnerable people need and deserve. There's also no relationship between civility and verified accounts. How many blue checks do you see on twitter sharing absolutely disgusting thoughts? They're all "verified."

Blue checkmarks express stupid/evil thoughts, it gets screenshot.

Rando cartoon avatars engage in sustained harassment campaigns, Twitter does nothing and there are no real consequences because it's a burner.