• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Blizzard as a company is going to get worse so no I don't think I'm going to buy anything relating to Blizzard. Not now and not in 4 years.

Fuck China, Fuck Blizzard

Free Hong Kong.

Blizzard isn't the only company where people work hard. Games come out literally every day that multiple people worked themselves to the bone to create but that doesn't make us as consumers obligated to buy literally every game to support literally every hard worker in the industry. These past few years alone, we've had exposes on both EA and Rockstar where crunch has obliterated the mental and physical health of employees at the company. These people also worked hard and deserve appreciation but the other side of purchasing these games is that purchases will in turn reinforce and perpetuate that same level of corporate burnout as long as it remains profitable. In the case of Blizzard, it's fine if anyone wants to specifically support D4 devs but there's no separating that support from Blizzard continuing to learn zero lessons and continue to stump for China by silencing legitimate protest.

This! bow down to you my EdibleKnife. :)

Also again: Fuck China, Fuck Blizzard

Free Hong Kong, actually Freedom for everyone!!

4goodmeasure

Apr 7, 2018
I'm gonna' abstain. There's so many good games that I can be picky. I'm really blown away by some of the responses. No one can be perfect but what's the harm in trying to just be a little better?

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look that good anyway so not a hard decision for me. I wish many people protest Blizzard, but I understand why you wouldn't want to.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It looks great and I know some people who are on the development team, I'll be buying it. :)

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell you what I'll actually do in three years but I'm at least strong enough now to say that I don't intend to buy it based on Blizzard's recent controversies. It's pretty sad to see how quickly everyone seems to be able to hand wave away Blizzard's censorship just because they announced a cool new game.

It also seems a lot of people are confused about why one would Boycott Blizzard anyway. It's not about not supporting any company that does business with China, or really even the Hong Kong protests, but the fact that Blizzard is policing the speech within its community according to the desires of the Chinese government in order to stay within the Chinese market. I don't have a crystal ball but I'd assume that Blizzard will still be appeasing the Chinese government in three years in order to sell their games there, so I don't see this going away.

Mercuryvoid

Nov 1, 2017
Putting some money toward Chinese products doesn't mean you have to put all your money toward Chinese products. I'm not a saint for having an iPhone while also boycotting D4 but I have no interest in being one. The fabric of the global market means that there's a lot that people willingly or ignorantly buy that was created through harm and/or exploitation. It's not possible to be entirely separated from that system until the advent of significantly radical cultural and global revolutions. It is possible though for each of us to reduce harm where and when can based on the information we are privy to about where our money goes; and at the very least, I know that D4 isn't a necessity for something like a job or work and that there are a wealth of loot-driven RPGs currently and upcoming that I can invest in instead.
Fair point. In the end, it's all about choices. Maybe there are variation of degrees in which people look at the Hong Kong situation.

I can't tell you what I'll actually do in three years but I'm at least strong enough now to say that I don't intend to buy it based on Blizzard's recent controversies. It's pretty sad to see how quickly everyone seems to be able to hand wave away Blizzard's censorship just because they announced a cool new game.

It also seems a lot of people are confused about why one would Boycott Blizzard anyway. It's not about not supporting any company that does business with China, or really even the Hong Kong protests, but the fact that Blizzard is policing the speech within its community according to the desires of the Chinese government in order to stay within the Chinese market. I don't have a crystal ball but I'd assume that Blizzard will still be appeasing the Chinese government in three years in order to sell their games there, so I don't see this going away.
It's business, and right now, China is the biggest market.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
This very much isn't a "no ethical consumption under capitalism" situation. There's literally more great games out there than anyone can play, so yeah, of course I'll skip it.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I skipped 3 beacuse I won't pay for game that have no reason to be always online. I'm sure I'll be strong enough to skip 4 as well.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I know I wont. I also know that a lot of people that are saying they will, also wont.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much interest in it. Overwatch 2 is the one tempting me, but until we see some clear change in action, I'm good with waiting on it. I've got a backlog 3 miles long.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
yes. not only for obvious reasons but also for the "fact" (for me, at least) that it looks like a shitty Diablo 3.1

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
They've got years to try to make things right. If they're still shitters in my eyes by the time Diablo 4 releases I'll just buy a used copy so I'll know they wont be getting any extra money from me.

There's really no point in talking about all of this right now, but I think it's amusing that, despite not being really relevant to this thread as they never planned on boycotting anything Blizzard did regardless, the "bruh I play what I want, stop judging me dude" people feel the need to get all defensive in this thread, as if they're being personally attacked by the existence of people who do want to boycott.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I will buy it if it will be good. Blizz is acting bad, but I dont think all people that worked on that game deserve their work to be boicotted.
Anyway I should boycott like every company on the planet at this rate...
We can still enjoy everything and protest to make things better.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to buy it and play it, then buy it. If you don't want to buy it and play it, the don't buy it.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Blizzard have obviously waded into a situation it knows little about and have ostensibly chosen China's money over its players, but to pretend the Hong Kong protests is a purely peaceful democratic movement is being ignorant. Look at what they're actually doing in the streets.

Sorry to interject like that but it was the exact same thing in France for months with the yellow vests and it actually pushed our government to TAKE IN CONSIDERATION something outside of the ruling system. By that I mean they actually did something, plus it pushed the president to have numerous debates with the population, mayors and whatnot

It's the only way. It might not be pretty but you guys should fight for it

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to boycott every large company that has done suspect shit at some point then the list will be very long

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I find it strange to boycott a game that won't be out for 3 years.

Instead, I will continue to watch what Blizzard does and make my decision based on that.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Diablo IV will be my life whenever it releases.

Cant wait for D3 season 19 to start.

I did cancel my WoW sub to "show" Blizzard I'm not ok with what they did.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
If you really want to play Diablo IV but also feel bad about it might I suggest matching the $60 you'll pay for Diablo IV with a donation to a pro-democracy organisation based in HK?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If Blizzard does the right thing between now and D4s release, yeah I'll play it. As of now they are on my no buy list. There are plenty of other games right now and later on that deserve my time and money.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I.. I don't even know when it will be out.

Hell, I don't even know if it will be out. Remember Deep Down?

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'll only skip it because I've never played a Diablo game before.

If the game looks like fun and I find myself wanting to play it ASAP, I'll but it day 1.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Im happy they 'apologized' at BlizzCon, but it's really going to be their action that'll speak for themselves – theyre OT out of the woods yet.

Last edited:

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're consistent and boycott all companies that do business with China.

Exactly.

And - beyond the China issue - other developers and publishers have their own issues (i.e. crunch, inappropriate workplace conditions, etc etc etc). There are very few "big businesses" that make sense to support from an ethics standpoint

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It looks like what Diablo 3 should've been.
Diablo has to evolve imo It has the same old slow gameplay as ever, i think blizzard has to take look a little to what we have in the korean market like LostArk for exemple, LA has character creation, lots of classes, sub classes, fast gameplay, skills that combo with others and much more, i dont know if i can handle the slow pace that diablo has anymore, even if it has a more darkish look.

Oct 26, 2017
Diablo has to evolve imo It has the same old slow gameplay as ever, i think blizzard has to take look a little to what we have in the korean market like LostArk for exemple, LA has character creation, lots of classes, sub classes, fast gameplay, skills that combo with others and much more, i dont know if i can handle the slow pace that diablo has anymore, even if it has a more dark look.

Diablo 3 already has fast gameplay (at end-game anyway), Lost Ark is fast, Path of Exile also has super fast gameplay.

IMO think we can do with a big ARPG that has a bit slower and more deliberate combat, something more in line with what Diablo 2 was.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
It's Diablo 4. Of course it will come out. It's like saying Blizzard will never release another game ever.

Okay but what if it doesn't?

What if the game that is released is not Diablo IV, but instead Diablo: Immortal Hell? That's not Diablo IV!

Now, in a more serious note: it's a long way until it's released. Things can change a lot. If someone wants it, buy it. Personally I won't buy Blizzard games this 2019, but I honestly can't know what will happen in the future. I like Diablo, but I don't even know if it will be too bloody/too gritty for me. I don't even know if my favourite class, which would make me stay alert about updates of the game, IS in the game (Necromancer).

I'm not gonna go towards someone and accuse them of buying Diablo IV.. I don't know, honestly.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
It's business, and right now, China is the biggest market.

I understand that. However because of the huge market that is China we're seeing a number is Western companies such as Blizzard applying Chinese censorship to their non-Chinese customers is order to appease China and access their billions of customers. I'd rather not have Chinese censorship expand outside of China and if putting my money where my mouth is means missing out on one video game then I'm willing to do that.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard surely won't need my money anymore after they sold all of their morals and filled their pockets already

Mercuryvoid

Nov 1, 2017
I understand that. However because of the huge market that is China we're seeing a number is Western companies such as Blizzard applying Chinese censorship to their non-Chinese customers is order to appease China and access their billions of customers. I'd rather not have Chinese censorship expand outside of China and if putting my money where my mouth is means missing out on one video game then I'm willing to do that.
Also fair point.

As for myself, I refuse to bow down to political stances and corporate directions dictate my gaming situation. I buy games that I want, be it from corporate overlord that police their ecosystem or small developer trying to get by.