• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
No. i don't believe in this boycott. Far more companies do far worse shit. Call it whataboutism or not. It's true and rings false to me.
foxcomm is and has been horrible and yet everyone buys their consoles and phones.
and this attacking people thing solves nothing and even has the opposite effect so choose wisely.

Only if you're consistent and boycott all companies that do business with China.
Exactly. Instead people are fishing out some society comic as if that lets them off the hypocrite hook.
yes it's hard to maintain integrity. But if you're not willing to do it don't shame others.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be out for like 4 years, don't worry about it. They have plenty of time to reform (or worsen) their image by then.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't consider skipping a video game "strong". I find it annoying that I'd like to play both OW2 and Diablo 4 but instead I have principles, and so yeah I'll be skipping both to hopefully send a message.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Definitely, until they sort their shit out and make amends or change board members to display accountability, i will skip it, no problem there.
I already "ignore" all blizzard threads that are not the kind you just opened OP.
They are simply dead to me for the next 7 years.
They acted like if on Academy Awards someone's speech was not pleasing to china and they cancelled the Academy award.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No interest in any Blizzard game going forward, tho its not like they made it hard to choose by having always online shared bullcrap in Diablo 4.

btw free Hong Kong

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As for the OP's question, at the moment I'm not inclined to give any money to Activision Blizzard, canceled my WoW account when the HK thing happened and I'm not coming back to any of their products in the foreseeable future.
However, a lot can happen between now and 2021, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I might actually try to have my cake and eat it too by buying D4 used on console.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
SO many threads trying so hard to force people or shame people into feeling bad for being excited for a game and the work that people who have nothing to do with any situation are putting into it.
I will preorder the very moment it becomes available, in the biggest most lavish collector's edition that they offer and I will enjoy every moment of it to the point where i will probably take a few days off from work to be able to go full in.
Asking a question is not "trying to shame".

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
One of my favorite and most played games is Diablo 2, so it hurts that I will not be playing any more Blizzard titles. That is unless they take a firm stance against the atrocities that China is committing. If the HK protests end tomorrow and all is good again, China is still doing horrible things elsewhere and won't change that behavior until D4 is released. So I would like to implore everyone to stop accept this kind of behavior by Blizzard (and other companies) and don't fall for them. There are a lot of the great games you can play instead.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This is a very dumb take.

I mean, you should probably elaborate...

Blizzard made a bad choice by banning that player for so long and taking his earnings. Then, they corrected that with giving him his money, and reducing his ban. People want his ban completely removed which i'm all for, but he broke the rules. Using your voice on that platform for political action IS in violation of Blizzard's policies. That's not new, and it's not some rule they just randomly decided to make when his comments came out. If it were someone else speaking on some other political action, the same would apply to them.

So, it goes back to the root of all these issues - China's influence over Western companies. If you're going to shit on Blizzard for being so hush hush on Hong Kong, then you 100% should be shitting on every other corporation you love that is also backed by Chinese influence.

Also, on topic, I will be buying every Blizzard game because I like the games. Nothing more to it. Don't see people bitching about others purchasing iPhone's even though we know that Foxcon workers are treated like absolute shit to get these products out.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Hmmm i dont know how much i can say this without getting noticed by mods in a bad way. But i will be very interested in this game for now. There are two possibilities that should noticed:

1. People dont actually care about blizzard and hk problem and buy the game

2. People actually care about blizzard and hk and dont buy the game

Which one are you? I myself will buy the game. I think you know my answer

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Day 1.

Don't wanna get banned so all i say is i don't believe in selective boycotts.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, if you want to play it and it looks good, get it.

You can stand your political ground through much more meaningful ways than refusing to buy videogames.

You can support the Free Hongkong movement and still realise that Blizzard is a small fry and boycotting them changes nothing.
You can do much more, please inform yourselves more if you actually wanna do it, don't participate in a parroting meme boycott that was mainly started by anti"sjw" who hated blizzard for their diversity in Overwatch and saw a chance to gather even more against Blizzard.

Blizzard did shit with the hearthstone players, yes. Any Esport company has these clauses though that you should refrain from talking about your political agenda. It is shitty but sadly the norm.

Free Hongkong.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I care for the hong kong issues and support the people demonstrating and fighting against a genocidial regime with my time and money in real life, I'll continue buying games by blizzard.

Me not buying Blizzard games anymore would do...nothing, with all the game companies that tencent owns or has shares in, it is nearly impossible to not give money to tencent or netease.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
No way I'm buying this day 1 since Diablo 3 was such a mess at launch (both tech-wise and in terms of gameplay)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If blizzard doesn't come around, I'll skip it.
I was incredibly disappointed by Diablo 3 though, so I would wait for reviews either way.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, there are actually people who call not buying a copy of a video game in four years "activism". Just lol. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I guess.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
OP, with this new development, have you got rid of previous Blizzard games you own?
This is a genuine question

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
"If I'm not consistent what's the point?" is such a weak ass excuse. No one is making a judgement of your character for buying Diablo but at least be honest and say you enjoy it too much to give it up.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
I will buy it. Especially since D4 looks a lot like D2 in many ways and imo it's superior to D3. I'm much more uncomfortable with using a cellphone made in China on the back of pretty much slavery and even then it won't stop me using one.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough. While I don't really agree with the stance of the people running the company, I know many people in the company are definitely not happy with how things went, and I can't say I want to punish them. Not everyone involved in the creation of their games are bad, and while I'm boycotting them now... by the time Diablo 4 is out, I doubt I'll still feel the same as I do now.

Oct 26, 2017
From what they've shown so far I'd probably end up skipping it even if the HK thing didn't happen, they've learned nothing from what was wrong with Diablo 3.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
No because people barely even give a fuck now. How do you expect anyone to care in a few years?
People like talking but they rarely pull through. It's all in the heat of the moment.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
If you really have to boycott everything from companies that are fucking piece of trash, you'll be living in the wood with nothing more than yourself XD

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, you should probably elaborate...

Blizzard made a bad choice by banning that player for so long and taking his earnings. Then, they corrected that with giving him his money, and reducing his ban. People want his ban completely removed which i'm all for, but he broke the rules. Using your voice on that platform for political action IS in violation of Blizzard's policies. That's not new, and it's not some rule they just randomly decided to make when his comments came out. If it were someone else speaking on some other political action, the same would apply to them.

So, it goes back to the root of all these issues - China's influence over Western companies. If you're going to shit on Blizzard for being so hush hush on Hong Kong, then you 100% should be shitting on every other corporation you love that is also backed by Chinese influence.

Also, on topic, I will be buying every Blizzard game because I like the games. Nothing more to it. Don't see people bitching about others purchasing iPhone's even though we know that Foxcon workers are treated like absolute shit to get these products out.

As others have said, doing something is vastly preferable to doing nothing because "I should be consistent". It's a cop-out for people who are lazy or spineless. If you don't care, that's fair, sure, you have a right to not care, but don't hide behind whataboutism.

V_Arnold

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hungary
I am not sure what the correct response is. Blizzard is not the root of the issue, its a symptom of late stage capitalism. They were glorious back in the days, and they were content with their own market and their own fans, they could consistently sell 3-4-6-8 millions of every game they made back when that number was considered huge, and then they hit gold with WoW too.

Their bosses are no longer content with that, so thats that. D3 got a weak ass post-launch support since the big first 2012 august+ros updates, so that is my main concern. No matter how big this development team currently is, there is a nonzero chance that they will pull off a fundamentally broken gameplay progression system that can only be adjusted so long before its fatal flaws are completely visible to everyone - and STILL they will easily sell 20+ million of this.

The question is: is this the dance one wants? Have not we been through this so many times before, with D3, with Destiny, etc? I think we have. So if their foundations are again broken, I will not jump back. IF the game releases and players confirm that the foundations are correct, I do not think that then it would be a cardinal sin to purchase a product.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
What Blizzard did is what any sports organization would have done. They didn't come up with the idea that politics should be left out in sports, it's literally everywhere.

I'll buy the game if I like it, what they did will not influence that decision.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not skipping it.

But if it takes 4 years again to come out then I prolly won't buy it. We'll see.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Unless Blizzard are literally going out and assaulting protesters themselves, then I'm really not that bothered. If you choose to boycott everyone that's ever done anything morally dubious, then you're going to be left with very few entertainment options.

Or employment options, for that matter.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I don't really care about what their beliefs are. I care about games, game politics and game content when I'm looking into... Well, buying a videogame.

Everyone is free to believe what they want, even if I don't agree with it.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking in terms of ethics, will you consider yourself weak if you buy the game(thinking about Hong-Kong stuff)or not?Some people say westerners have no barebone because they criticize but never really boycott or stand fir their beliefs... How do you feel about this?

Will you be strong in respecting other's decision to purchase the game and not forcing your opinion on others? I'm all for open conversation, but making others feel bad for buying a VIDEO GAME (which who knows when this will be released) is not he right avenue for open discussion. Hot political topics come and go, there are better ways to encourage long-term change.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have no investment in the whole Hong Kong thing. I'll play it if it looks like a good game.

Also, this will be a fun thread to save for receipts. There are many people in here that I suspect will be playing despite saying they will not be.

Last edited: