• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking in terms of ethics, will you consider yourself weak if you buy the game(thinking about Hong-Kong stuff)or not?Some people say westerners have no barebone because they criticize but never really boycott or stand fir their beliefs... How do you feel about this?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind you're talking about a scenario which is at the very least 3 years into the future.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in Hong Kong and actually know what's going on so no I won't be skipping the game if it's any good.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're consistent and boycott all companies that do business with China.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No, because I can be an advocate for human rights and free speech and also enjoy videogames at the same time.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is good, I'm gonna buy it. If not, I won't.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking in terms of ethics, will you consider yourself weak if you buy the game(thinking about Hong-Kong stuff)or not?Some people say westerners have no barebone because they criticize but never really boycott or stand fir their beliefs... How do you feel about this?
No. I will buy it because I will want to play it. That's it.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's still years away so either people will have forgotten by then or Blizzard will have gotten their head off China's ass

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I personally believe boycotts usually don't pan out and its because we dont have actual accountability. Ultimately if you decide to not get the game its your decision.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're consistent and boycott all companies that do business with China.
This is such a shitty deflection. People aren't pissed at Blizzard because they do business with China, everyone does that. They're pissed because Blizzard punished criticism of China while claiming to believe that every voice matters.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Blizzard have obviously waded into a situation it knows little about and have ostensibly chosen China's money over its players, but to pretend the Hong Kong protests is a purely peaceful democratic movement is being ignorant. Look at what they're actually doing in the streets.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
No I'll be smart and skip it. Diablo IV might be a solid game eventually but that won't come to fruition until 2-3 years after release.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Hong Kong and actually know what's going on so no I won't be skipping the game if it's any good.

Oh great one of these already.

Aren't there enough of you on reddit?

If you're about to come in and tell us how actually China is not being all that bad or maybe they are bad but hey Honk Kongers aren't all saints, you can proper fuck off.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll personally skip it over. I have a long history with Blizzard but they've never quite ascended to the legendary game studio status that others view them as for me. It's easy for me to let go.

That said, there ARE studios that if they were in the same position as Blizzard, I'd be hesitant to let go, so I have a certain amount of empathy for folks that are still really wanting the next big thing from Blizz.

The only time it bugs me is when some of these folks tend to express that they feel Blizz did absolutely nothing wrong. All of my close personal friends that still want Diablo IV and Overwatch 2 do acknowledge that they don't agree with what Blizzard did, and I find that okay, but I do take a ton of issue with people trying to hand-wave it away like some basic eSports rule and the response as petty outrage. Fuck off with that.

Skyejack

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
You can be strong. I'll be playing it though. There is no such thing as conscienceless consumerism.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh great one of these already.

Aren't there enough of you on reddit?

If you're about to come in and tell us how actually China is not being all that bad or maybe they are bad but hey Honk Kongers aren't all saints, you can proper fuck off.

Telling someone who actually lives in Hong Kong to fuck off because they have a different opinion than you? That's very Communist Party of you.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah. I will still support the devs and (hopefully) a great game.
Also no one should ever buy games on Steam anymore since the Dota 2 International took place in China.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Hostility towards another user
Blizzard have obviously waded into a situation it knows little about and have ostensibly chosen China's money over its players, but to pretend the Hong Kong protests is a purely peaceful democratic movement is being ignorant. Look at what they're actually doing in the streets.

And yup. Here it is.

"Oh my guys they weren't exactly super nice so really who's to say who is the worst here c'mon now."

Dude, we know full well the extent of what is going on. We see it reported by people like you even. But you have to talk in vague terms and pretend you have things we don't know about so we feel like you have authority to correct us. No dude. We know. There are plenty of people willing and able and who have provided every small detail.

Fuck you for defending an evil government by lightly insinuating those they are oppressing are at fault. Nothing the protestors COULD do justifies the actions of the government there.

Plus, there's also the fact that you're acting like in any way, that protesters doing wrong justifies what Blizzard has done here. That's bullshit. The Chinese government is overstepping their bounds and using shameful, horrible, terrifying tactics to suppress the rebellion in ways that are NEVER justified. EVER. They are violations of human rights. Full stop. Defending Blizzard for banning someone for trying to reach the world in support of those being repressed is disgusting. And trying to act like the protestors' actions in any way absolve Blizzard of wrongdoing is manipulative and slimy. Fuck off.

Telling someone who actually lives in Hong Kong to fuck off because they have a different opinion than you? That's very Communist Party of you.

No dude, you're putting words in my mouth. You're telling other people they are wrong and you are manipulating the situation to try to make people feel guilty so they can't call you out. It's transparent, and I'm calling you out for it.

You are welcome to think the protestors are overstepping their bounds, but the way you are doing it is slimy and shitty, and somehow tying that to justifying Blizzard's behavior is stupid. Nice attempt at a gotcha though.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not into the cancel culture of the internet today. Plenty of other ways you can help out causes that interest you. Don't see the point in punishing 100s of families for the actions of a few at the top that only care about money. Now if they put in another auction house...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a shit about Diablo, but I've stopped playing Hearthstone and no new set is gonna win me over.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 4 looks pretty terrible(really does look like those desaturation photoshops post-release of Diablo 3) and the presentation was underwhelming, so eh. In 3 years it will look even more dated than it does already.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017

Almost everything you purchase in life could be considered some sort of ethical quandary if you start overthinking who you are supporting. My advice is if you think you'll feel bad about it don't do it. If not, don't lose any sleep over it, we always support monsters one way or the other. I would not feel weak if I decided to purchase it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am I right now upset with what Blizz did? Absolutely. Will I still be in 2 or 3 years? Probably not, except they do something even moe fucked up.

I won't boycott the game just because of Blizzard's involvement with tencent/China. If I did that I would have to boycott pretty much anything from my smartphone over my PC to consoles and probably half the shit I own. I admire people who are consistent like that, but I doubt many of them exist.

It's also not the dev's fault their company heads take shitty actions. They seem to be really enthusiastic about what they build and I'd love to see and play the end result of that passion.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just buy used like I do of all things I want to enjoy while not supporting for X reason. I don't do this expecting it will make a difference.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Sure won't purchase or play it. It's btw possible to not support Blizzard AND help out causes you care about. Totally works without playing Diablo.

zenosparadox

Nov 13, 2017
I'm gonna at least be smart enough to not fall victim to another Diablo-3-at-launch fiasco. It remains to be seen how much the suits will try to sabotage this game.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I wouldn't consider myself ethically weak for buying a video game, no. There are a lot of things many of us do daily that probably have some relation to something we wouldn't agree with ethically, but we continue on anyway. Why is one specific game company an exception? They aren't.

If I boycott every company that did anything I might not agree with from an ethics standpoint, I'd have very little in life.

I'll buy what I want to buy, guilt free. I do plenty of morally and ethically good things in my life every day.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm being completely honest, the Hong Kong stuff won't alter my purchasing decision in any way.

It's still long way from release, so I can't say I'll be buying it 100%, but it looks and sounds good so far.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easiest pass of my life. The existence of Diablo 3 was enough to sour me on Diablio 4, but Blizzard's Hong Kong fiasco put it over the top.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
This is bullshit logic. It's basically impossible for someone to be a participating member of society while still being fully morally consistent to the eyes of outside observers. Even if I stopped buying anything from China, you could ask why associate with people who buy things from China or why I engage with institutions that profit indirectly from their relationship with China. There is no form of activism that is capable of withstanding this kind of scrutiny. Meanwhile, the dangers of inaction are very real.

As far as I can tell, what makes this sort of logic so appealing is simply that it gives apathetic/lazy people a convenient out. But being totally consistent is not a concern of any activist that is even remotely pragmatic.
The protesters have been subject to a wide array of abuse; being completely nonviolent isn't really in the cards for them so long as they have real concerns about their safety and well-being that they need to manage. Additionally, the movement is hardly homogeneous, meaning you're going to invariably get bad actors who simply do behave poorly. However, it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to disparage the entire movement on the basis of those bad actors, especially when any decent human being with their head on straight is going to know that what the protesters are fighting for here is fundamentally the right thing to do.

Jun 23, 2019

I don't think anyone is defending the more violent actions of the protestors. The main issue is China's human rights issues and HK's refusal to obey. That's like getting upset with black protestors who fought white cops during the civil rights movement in America, when incidents like that are symptoms of the disease and not the cause.

Additionally, the movement is hardly homogeneous, meaning you're going to invariably get bad actors who simply do behave poorly. However, it would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater to disparage the entire movement on the basis of those bad actors, especially when any decent human being with their head on straight is going to know that what the protesters are fighting for here is fundamentally the right thing to do.
You said it better than I did.