• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When did you first play Demon's Souls?

• I played the Japanese version (released February 2009) before it came west

Votes: 35 8.5%
  • I played the US version in 2009

Votes: 140 33.9%
  • I played it in 2010

Votes: 55 13.3%
  • I played the game in 2011 or later

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • I played Demon's Souls for the first time on PC using RPCS3

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • I have never played Demon's Souls but I will if a remake/revision happens

Votes: 48 11.6%
  • I have never played Demon's Souls and I'm holding out for now / waiting for news

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Wollan you sexy son of a bitch. Demon's Soul is my biggest regret of the PS3 generation. I hope it gets a PS4 HD remaster by Bluepoint games lol.

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Bayonetta 2 not getting any significant GOTY awards when shit like Dragon Age Inquisition won left and right was laughable in 2014.

2014 was one of the worst year of gaming IMO. It was a transition year to new consoles and I could barely find a game to be called my GOTY that year. The only games I considered GOTY that year was Bayonetta 2 and Shovel Knight, both of which were great and were the best game that year, but felt they were not on the same level as the GOTYs from previous years.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot was ahead of their time when they pick Demon's Souls to be GOTY beating out UC2. I bet alot of people were piss about the selection and didn't see that Demon Soul's excellent foundation paved the way for Dark Souls & Bloodborne.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 got almost no GotY awards in a weak year even though it was ironically the highest rated game on Metacritic in 2014.

Smash 4's GotY awards:
Digital Spy: A site that isn't even focused on video games
Nintendo Life: Only the 3DS version got GotY... for 3DS.
Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences: 3DS version won best handheld game
People's Choice Awards: Yes, THAT People's Choice Awards. I didn't even know they talked about video games.

Smash 4 was easily the best Smash game in my mind and could entertain hardcore and casual gamers. It still has a huge community and people are clamoring for a chance to pay $60 again to play it on the Switch. Dragon Age Inquisition took most of the awards, a game that everyone forgot about the second Witcher III hit and the future of the series is just one big question mark.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Surprising really. I think everyone else gave it to UC2. In the end DS proved to be a much more influential, and, dare I say, more important videogame. GS got that one spot on.
I agree with more important, and definitely would take DeS over U2 anyday. But not sure about more influential when U2 basically opened the flood game for "cinematic experiences", as bad as that was!

Edit: NM, I guess I was just looking at copypasta games, not games that borrowed certain mechanics!

Last edited:

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I still get sick (in a good way) thinking of tower of latria alone, not to mention valley of defilement.
I heard about the praise for this game when it released but did not have the time for it untill 2 years later. One of my greatest memories in gaming is when this game clicked with me and i understood what to do in boletaria castle (making shortcuts). Played it back to back with dark souls in one year (best year in gaming ever).

It released with uncharted 2, and that game is Godlike too, so both deserve #1

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i still have to play this game. i only got into Dark Souls/Bloodborne last year and i had long got rid of my PS3. i've been looking for a cheap PS3 to play it since it seems they'll never put it on PS Now in EU (I think it's there for japan) or make a remaster for PS4.

CRYPTFLOWERS

Nov 2, 2017
I remember back in 2004 how World of Warcraft seemed to get snubbed left & right come award season despite turning the industry on its head and despite its landmark qualities. It irked me but at least history is clearly on the side of WoW.

Disagree.

Feel like WoW is seen as a blockbuster product that absolutely had a cultural moment. But is it well-regarded critically? Seems like something that most would not want to revisit.

Whereas Demon's Souls is understood to be a truly great and pioneering work, a vision that will be with us a long time.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
That one time a gaming website had enough foresight to see the series' potential. It isnt uncommon now to see a Souls game in many "Best games of all time" lists.

Smash 4 got almost no GotY awards in a weak year even though it was ironically the highest rated game on Metacritic in 2014.

Smash 4's GotY awards:
Digital Spy: A site that isn't even focused on video games
Nintendo Life: Only the 3DS version got GotY... for 3DS.
Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences: 3DS version won best handheld game
People's Choice Awards: Yes, THAT People's Choice Awards. I didn't even know they talked about video games.

Smash 4 was easily the best Smash game in my mind and could entertain hardcore and casual gamers. It still has a huge community and people are clamoring for a chance to pay $60 again to play it on the Switch. Dragon Age Inquisition took most of the awards, a game that everyone forgot about the second Witcher III hit and the future of the series is just one big question mark.

Fighting games cant win GOTY. A reminder that SF4 came out in 2009 and was barely nominated anywhere for anything other than "Best Fighting Game".
Even though when you look at most places doing a Best games of the generation lists , SFIV would usually stand above them.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This reminds me that I've been stuck on the final boss for months, any advice?

You can cheese him by
shoot him with bow n arrows before going through the fog, i think you have to stand on the left hand side

I think I just had to grind a lot to beat him properly though.

Demon Souls is still my favourite souls game. I can't put my finger on why though.. maybe the atmosphere or it's just the first one I played... nothing beats the feeling of when you open that first shortcut

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they also gave Zelda ALBW the GOTY award back in 2013, it was a crazy year.. which included GTA V, TLoU, SM3DW and Bioshock Infinity. I really respect them for being out of the flock sometimes

Oct 29, 2017
Eurogamer gave Mario Kart 8 the deserved GOTY in 2014 as pretty much the only big site.

old+big+boss+salute111.jpg

I don't think any of the big sites gave it to the rightful winner of 2015, Life is Strange, though.

Nov 2, 2017
Disagree.

Feel like WoW is seen as a blockbuster product that absolutely had a cultural moment. But is it well-regarded critically? Seems like something that most would not want to revisit.

Whereas Demon's Souls is understood to be a truly great and pioneering work, a vision that will be with us a long time.

Did you miss the news? https://kotaku.com/world-of-warcraft-classic-announced-1820123796.

WoW has better reviews than DS as well so I don't really see how you can imply that it isn't well-regarded critically.

Tomodachi

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most influential games of recent times. GOTY definitely deserved.
Also, Bloodborne was robbed.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
That was such a rare sight from one of the more popular gaming websites, the staff had changed so much over the years and they were a shadow of their early 2000s in terms of quality writers (Wolpaw, Kasavin etc.), but still had/showed that forward thinking at times under Kevin VanOrd, who btw is one of the writers of Divinity Original Sin 2.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It's the reason that game caught my attention.
One of the few times a GOTY award was actually both meaningful and impactful.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Are there any other major outlets that picked DeS? Respect for Gamespot. Back then Uncharted 2 was the obvious winner for most but it's definitely Demon's, not even close.

For the 2019 ten year anniversary we need the remaster. Sooner is good too.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Damn, the PS3 had a good 2009. Looking back, no wonder I succumbed and bought one that year.

although i didn't actually play demon's souls until years later courtesy of PS+

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
It was a bold move from Gamespot for sure. I remember I barely had seen any footage of Demon's and it looked like a B-tier game to me, didn't know what all the hype was about.

Since all my friends were playing it at the time, I decided to go in blind to play with them, and boy did it deliver!

To this date, the formula of the game has only been surpassed by Bloodborne imo. It's still one of my favorite games ever.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What a great video. Like half the youtube comments from the time of release were people surprised or saying they had never even heard of the game. Probably an odd choice for the Gamespot staff but you can tell what an impact it had on them. "Most forward thinking" game indeed.

A lot of the online stuff seems to be the reason why they loved it as much as they did. I didn't even know there was any online functionality the first time I played it lol.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Very good pick. The game was so different and strange at the time. I remember people trying to figure out how all the systems work, it was a unique community experience. As clunky as it was, it deserved to be GOTY.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
This user was warned for: Trolling. It's ok if you don't enjoy something that others do but there's no need for these dismissive drive by comments.
From Software has always been a completely garbage developer and yet there seems to be a mass hallucination that somehow, for this series only, they are not.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
From Software has always been a completely garbage developer and yet there seems to be a mass hallucination that somehow, for this series only, they are not.

I dunno, there have always been people that have liked King's Field and Armored Core. Not sure if there is a hallucination about it since at the moment you can assume most of the praise they get is centered on Souls / Bloodborne, with some KF and AC fans here and there. No one is praising Frame Gride or whatever when they talk about From Software in 2017.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They make superb, mechanically deep and challenging games. Perhaps you just find them too challenging for your skill level?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the vitriol and anger that these awards unfortunately inevitably lead to. It's OK to be disappointed that a game you like isn't gaining the attention you think it deserves but when I see a game that obviously a lot of people like getting an award like these I only feel a bit envious I can't share in that praise if I didn't like it or didn't play it. Like the amount of selfishness and immaturity that lots of The Last of Us/GTA fans showed in their reaction to the 2013 Gamespot pick is quite embarrassing, especially as most of them I'd wager didn't even play A Link Between Worlds.

Demon's Souls is one game that I can't relate to because I haven't played it, but I'm happy for it and its fans and well its success lead to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 so I benefited from it eventually lol.

Hope that people stay mature this year.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
I would never give GOTY to a game that clunky and janky tbh, despite all the merits it's got. But I see why it was chosen.

I played DS when it went free on PS plus so maybe it was after patches, but i dont remember it very clunky or janky. But those terms are so vague i wouldn't know what you're referring to.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Best sony year ever. Bunch of my favourite games re from that year. Demons, kz2, uncharted 2, infamous, crack in time....plus multiplats.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people loosing their mind when Gametrailers gave their "Best looking" award to Kirby's Epic Yarn.
I think it wasn't even GotY just "best of E3"

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Engine wise and optimisation wise they are not the best of course. But to say that the developer of tenshu, demons souls, dark souls, bloodborne, armored core... are bardage??? Come on......