• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Years, but hopefully they should get cheaper and cheaper from this point on.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
lol

oh man

y'all, expanding the PS5 SSD is gonna be a luxury. it doesn't make sense compared to the available alternatives. if you're trying to play 10-20 games off a single SSD you're doing it wrong.

just buy external HDDs for storage. easy.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
The 980 Pro from Samsung was leaked briefly, which has a read speed of 7GB/s and will likely be one of the first approved SSDs to work with the PS5.

It's priced at around 25c per GB. So if they even release a model that's 5TB then you're looking at $1250.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The 980 Pro from Samsung was leaked briefly, which has a read speed of 7GB/s and will likely be one of the first approved SSDs to work with the PS5.

It's priced at around 25c per GB. So if they even release a model that's 5TB then you're looking at $1250.

I didn't know about the pricing. So a 1TB would actually be around $250? That's actually a good price.

but yeah 5TB is nuts, won't happen

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
How far are we away from that and at $300 or less.
_2g7xH.gif

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
They should just sell smaller 100-200GB SSDs each with an individual game already installed on it. Maybe give it a nice plastic shell, put a colorful sticker with the game logo on it, etc.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
lol

oh man

y'all, expanding the PS5 SSD is gonna be a luxury. it doesn't make sense compared to the available alternatives. if you're trying to play 10-20 games off a single SSD you're doing it wrong.

That shit's an inelegant solution. The more I think about it the less I like the way Sony's handled this. Definitely sticking with physical games this generation.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That shit's an inelegant solution. The more I think about it the less I like the way Sony's handled this. Definitely sticking with physical games this generation.
It doesn't matter if you go physical or digital, the entire game will be installed to the NVMe. There's no such thing as playing the game from the disk.

potato

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably answered before, but how do we manage games on an external HDD? If a game is in HDD does the OS prompt us to move it to internal storage and automatically switch another game kut from internal? Or do we choose which games to switch out? How long will that take? So many questions.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
By the time the next revision of consoles comes out they'll hopefully be cheap enough. At least there'll be a market for PS5 compatible SSD while MS will have those proprietary expansion cards.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
lol

oh man

Yes. I think this is what I will eventually decide to do with the Series X and just transfer games as and when I want to play them. It is going to be far cheaper in the end.