• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
This is literally your ONE opportunity to set your pay expectations for the next 1-20+ years.

Shoot high.

Whatever you were going to ask - assuming you truly do meet the qualifications of the job and know your worth and have good references - ask for more. No, no... not that much... ask for even MORE than that. And then add ~5%. That's your number.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
We do. Actually we have an online tool that will tell you more or less what our offer will be (you basically input your experience and the title you're going for).

People still ask for $130,000 for jobs that just don't pay that in any market.
Ah gotcha. I ask because I always see job listings without any mention of salary so I was wondering. At my previous company we always included a salary range.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm curious what the strategy is if you're being considered for a position within your company but in another department.

I may get a chance to move to a different group and work in a position much better suited to my strengths and interests. My friend told me to research the average salary for that role (it's about what I'm making already), and whatever the number is add 10k to get my salary requirement number.

I'm just not used to this kind of thing when I'm already working for the company, especially while the world is the way it is right now and we've suffered cut backs etc.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I don't tell them my current salary. I give them the salary I would earn in a magical magical world, aka 30-40k more than I make. Look at glassdoor and say your current salary is at the upper range of that number.

Last time I interviewed for a job, I did just that and they were like "yeah no problem", I also told them I wanted 25k more to move to NYC cuz cost of living is expensive. They gave me that too.

Then I told them another company offered me 10k more (untrue), and would they match it? They told me nope, they're at their limit. I said cool beans, I'll take the job!

One year later, I left NYC and I'm keeping the same salary. My advice to you is to be brave and borderline outrageous in your demands. Either they'll give it to you or they'll counter. If you're being all modest and shit, you'll get taken advantage of like I was in the past.

Don't be shy! Don't be worried they'll feel insulted and retract their offer. That's not how business works, If anything they'll respect you more as a person.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
PROTIP: It's always easier to negotiate down than it is to ask for more money later.

If you lowball yourself you could lose out on thousands of dollars a year. You did the right thing, OP.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
best way is to say you'd rather not answer, but if they press, you turn the tables and say, "I'm sure you have a salary range in mind for this role" and let them answer. Also, try not to give them your current salary, especially if you're coming froma different job/industry.city, etc, saying the info doesn't really match up with the job in question.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If you are confident with your skills then go high. If not try to get a level where you feel comfortable.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this fucking question. If a recruiter asks me this from now on I'm just gonna tell them I not required to give my number and hang up the phone.

They aren't asking what you make. They are asking what you would like to make. There's a difference.

Do your due diligence, do the research, know if you are underpaid, and tell them a salary at least 5-10% more than you want.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I always say I'm willing to negotiate, though if I'm desperate, I try to be reasonable so not to lose the opportunity. If I'm just looking, I have some leverage with my skills and can high ball it due to competitive offers.

It really comes down to knowing how much the position usually offers (some listings will list expected ranges), and your own worth with the skills you can provide. Benefits are also a big deal. If they don't provide much, request more.

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
If I'm employed and I'm not fussed about moving jobs I add about 10k to my current salary. Did this 4 times in a year once (short term contracts) and ended up with a great salary and CV. Now I just say 5k above what I'm on (or the equivalent day rate).

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Pretty much this. When you're talking to a real person.

You never give anyone a number. You say you have done some research on the range for people in your field of work. Use the word negotiable a few times.

Then you ask what their salary range is like.

I've gotten a few of them to give me the number straight up after a few times.

It's pretty cool.

HOWEVER, if this is a form online/offline just leave it blank, or simply "Negotiable."

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
In most cases does it really matter? Genuinely curious, for most positions would you ever actually get more than what they were initially going to pay you, regardless of what you say? I feel like the only thing you want to definitely NOT do is say less than whatever they were going to give you anyway.

I guess I'm coming at it from the viewpoint of lower/entry level position where the pay is just the pay, that's it. Guess it would be different if you're a sought after individual or going for a higher up position.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The advice you posted is already anything you need.
Always aim for something higher and then negotiate downwards.

I was once laughed at in the midst of a job interview for asking too high a salary.
Joke was on them, two weeks later i got a Job that paid me what i asked for.

OP
OP
BareKnuckle

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
They got back to me and didn't mention the salary, the job sounds perfect for me and I don't have to bullshit at all in my interview! Absolutely buzzing

thanks for all the words guys

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I'm really late, but in future or for anyone else reading this.

Never give them a flat figure but instead a range. First look out the average salary for the position and company if available. Then go from there.

Say its a job where the average pay is 5000. Tell them you're looking for anything between 5000-6000. At worst you'll always get the average salary.