• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
When an interviewer asks your salary expectations what do you say?

My friends have convinced me to add a bit on, then go higher so they can "talk you down" to around what you originally wanted.

So for example, your current wage is 25k, you want 28k so you ask for 31k

I've just done this for the first time ever and I'm a bit worried that Im going to scare them off? Coming from a freelance background (I'm a graphic designer) I've had "well I know someone who will do it for x instead" and the work falls through with no negotiating at all quite a few times.

The other side of the coin is I've never had an interviewer turn down my salary expectation, but I usually low ball them hard as apparently I don't know my worth haha

So what do you do?

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
This has worked for me on my last three jobs (one of them was a promotion) that I got. When the interviewer asks the question: what salary are you looking for?, instead of listing what you're expecting ask them instead.

I always start with explaining that I have been researching salaries in my field but wanted to know what they felt is a competitive salary for someone with my experience? (If this your first job interview or you're going for an entry level job that you don't have experience in, you can always change the part about experience to "this position").

Oftentimes, they will give you the number that they are expecting to pay for that position; and every time I ask a potential employer it has been at least $5-$10k more then I was going to ever say.

This also helps you compare what they're willing to pay vs whether that salary is worth the job. AND you don't run the risk of under selling yourself! (If they're expecting to pay $60k and you say $40k, they're not going to correct you and also might think that you are not as qualified or have a high opinion of your own self worth).

Edit to add: a bunch of commenters are making valid points. Do your research, know your worth and what the worth of the position is. If the company lowballs you, ask for more if you feel comfortable. Salaries are often part of a negotiation, and if you know you deserve more then advocate for it. Prove to them that you're worth the investment, because if they're not willing to pay you what you deserve (provided they can AFFORD to do so, some businesses just don't have the funds to meet the same pay as another business) then you have to consider if they're worth your time. Does the money matter for you to accept the job, and if the answer is yes then get it!

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I shoot high because they pretty much always talk you down, but you have to be realistic with your range. Like you probably won't be asking for 15k-20k more unless you're in a high-salaried position. I usually float 5k-10k more than what I expect.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on your leverage. Got a job that you don't hate? Aim high. Need the paycheck badly? Don't risk it, but look for other opportunities before accepting.

Keep in mind, the recruiter is not stupid and will expect you to say more than you want as well.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I think it really depends on how much leverage you have.

If there's 50 guys lined up willing to do the same work for cheaper, then it's a tough sell. Most of my Computer Science colleagues were able to get more then the company initially offered, but they're "hot commodities" in terms of employment.

OP
OP
BareKnuckle

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
I shoot high because they pretty much always talk you down, but you have to be realistic with your range. Like you probably won't be asking for 15k-20k more unless you're in a high-salaried position. I usually float 5k-10k more than what I expect.

I've gone 7 over what I am currently on, hoping for 2 over.

At the same time as another poster has said, I am desperate for the paycheck as my current employment is ending this month! (Thanks covid)

do you think it's possible to scare away a recruiter with a high expectation?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
lol 18 yr old me said a totally unrealistic figure (I was clueless). When I left the job after about 10+ years, I had only just started making that amount.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Always go higher at first. My general rule is 20-25 percent above what you would be fine with.

Always came out with more than I expected.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I always operate with 3 numbers:

1. What I'll settle for
2. What I want/what I'm worth
3. The number I'm going to give them

Each of those is higher than the previous one, and you only ever give them the third one.

OP
OP
BareKnuckle

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Ah great this is giving me confidence people thank you!

I'm such a worrier seriously it's so uncool

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Research the market value of the job and then say the utmost of that range. Never use your own salary as a baseline.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
  • If possible, do some market research for your role-to-be to see what salary ranges are in your area (or the job's area if relocating)
  • Give a range of salary if they'll let you, and make sure the low end is still high enough
I tend to approach it like this: If I'm currently making $30k and my research shows that I should be making at least $35k, that becomes the low end of my range. Then I add 10-15% to the salary for the high end (most of the time). That way if they only pay the minimum, well you're still coming out ahead and if they pay the max, then great! If they don't allow a range, I'd take an average of my range and give them that number.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you minimum (or only) number should still be higher than you'd actually accept.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
  • If possible, do some market research for your role-to-be to see what salary ranges are in your area (or the job's area if relocating)
  • Give a range of salary if they'll let you, and make sure the low end is still high enough
I tend to approach it like this: If I'm currently making $30k and my research shows that I should be making at least $35k, that becomes the low end of my range. Then I add 10-15% to the salary for the high end (most of the time). That way if they only pay the minimum, well you're still coming out ahead and if they pay the max, then great! If they don't allow a range, I'd take an average of my range and give them that number.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that you minimum (or only) number should still be higher than you'd actually accept.
Yeah, this is a good summary.
I've gone 7 over what I am currently on, hoping for 2 over.

At the same time as another poster has said, I am desperate for the paycheck as my current employment is ending this month! (Thanks covid)

do you think it's possible to scare away a recruiter with a high expectation?
Honestly, unless you pull some ridiculous number above/below the market value of the position, recruiters will pretty much never be scared away by a higher salary expectation. For your range, if it's 7k over the market value that's likely a fine expectation.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ah great this is giving me confidence people thank you!

I'm such a worrier seriously it's so uncool
Don't worry too much and show some confidence.

Recruiters know people say a higher number and depending on your confidence and general presentation they decide how much they can lowball you.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Workshops have echoed what other people have said.

The particular strategy I was given was to offer a range. Research the average salary for your position and experience. Use that as the minimum. Go about 10 to 20% higher than that as your maximum. If you have to give a single figure on an application, use the average of your min and max.

Also, be sure to know the laws about employees asking about your previous salary. It's illegal in certain places.

Good luck!

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
As pretty much everyone has said, give them the high end

You can also flip it around on them and ask them what their typical range for the position is

OP
OP
BareKnuckle

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry too much and show some confidence.

Recruiters know people say a higher number and depending on your confidence and general presentation they decide how much they can lowball you.

Thanks friend!

It's a bit of a dream job and I KNOW I'm good at what I do I've had literally only positive feedback my whole career but still something inside goes "nah you're a phoney"

Anyone got any good interview tips?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Aim higher but not crazy. But also depends on your leverage. Do you "NEED" this job. If you don't also don't feel like you need to take it. I rejected job offers before due to bad pay offers and they came back a few months later with what I wanted and more.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I always shoot high so that way we can meet somewhere close to what I realistically want. Hell, at the job I just got they asked what I was currently being paid at my previous job and of course I lied. They then said they'd basically offered me my salary on another date, I reminded them that I already got paid that (I didn't) so they said, "you're right" and bumped it up $3k. The reality is I got a $8k raise.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always go high, so they can negotiate down a bit and both sides end up feeling like they won. The trick is not going absurdly, unrealistically high. Look at salary ranges for the position and/or company on Glassdoor and aim for the high end of that.

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
At this point in my career I have enough leverage to overstate my value in order to get it.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
When are you having this conversation? I always try and push it off as close to an actual offer as I can, after I've gotten a better feel for the team and the role. I definitely don't give it in my first conversation with a recruiter. I'll say something like, "my salary is negotiable, but it's hard for me to give a range without fully understanding the role and the duties with the job, which will be more clear after the interview", or something like that. They'll usually back off at that point. If they insist, I'll ask what their budget is for the role, which sometimes they'll give you. But I do everything I can to avoid giving a number first.

Also-and I'm sure this doesn't need to be said-do not give them your current salary. And don't base your salary expectations for your next job on your current job, either.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I find salary talk fascinating. I'm a public school teacher and it's the only "real" job I've ever had (besides fast food and retail before I graduated). My salary and raises are all prenegotiated and are set for me. so the talk of pay never comes for me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This is such a helpful thread for me right now. Thanks for making it, OP. I'm in the same boat as you. We need a general interview advice thread as well haha.

OP
OP
BareKnuckle

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
When are you having this conversation? I always try and push it off as close to an actual offer as I can, after I've gotten a better feel for the team and the role. I definitely don't give it in my first conversation with a recruiter. I'll say something like, "my salary is negotiable, but it's hard for me to give a range without fully understanding the role and the duties with the job, which will be more clear after the interview", or something like that. They'll usually back off at that point. If they insist, I'll ask what their budget is for the role, which sometimes they'll give you. But I do everything I can to avoid giving a number first.

Also-and I'm sure this doesn't need to be said-do not give them your current salary. And don't base your salary expectations for your next job on your current job, either.

This was actually during setting a date for the interview so kinda tricky to gage tbh

This is such a helpful thread for me right now. Thanks for making it, OP. I'm in the same boat as you. We need a general interview advice thread as well haha.

I think you know what to do ;)

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Follow Robynn Storey on LinkedIn. This post of hers popped up recently and it is 100% accurate.

"What is your salary expectation for this job?"

This is the dumbest question in the interview process.

Ever.

And there are a lot of dumb questions, but this one takes the cake.

It is a trick question of course...designed to either low-ball you or eliminate you.

Let me be 100% clear. Salaries and salary ranges are set long before anyone reaches out to you.

Yes, there is a little wiggle room up or down depending on the situation, but for the most part, they know what the job will pay.

If you run into a situation where they will not divulge or give you a range, RUN!

I just had a client go through 7 rounds, YES 7 ROUNDS of interviews over 10 weeks to get to the end and find the offer was nowhere near her current salary or value.

On the other side, another client refused to divulge his most recent salary until they provided him with a range...which happened to be $40K more than he was making. He is in second round interviews and expecting an offer. He never would have gotten there if he'd played their little game.

Be strong. Know your value. It's okay to expect to be romanced a bit.

You are worth it.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think going higher is a good idea if you are going for an entry level job or having only college education. Most just ask the question to filter you and will already have a non-negotiable Salary

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
go high enough you think it's realistic and above what you want and would be happy with. a little bit of research goes a long way for what others in your position are paid.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a range anymore. I like my job but if a recruiter asks me I'll straight up say "I'm happy with my current job but depending the salary range I might be interested". I got a 25% jump from my last job due to this which is probably more then what I would have asked for

element

Oct 27, 2017
1. Stop thinking just salary. Think of 'total compensation'. This includes things like health care, retirement, performance bonus, profit sharing, etc
2. Always aim above and say 'open to negotiate'. If you want $50k, say you want $60k.

Another thing is if you have a job and are happy, use it to your advantage. Write down a number that would make you consider leaving your job and add 20%. Use that as your starting point for negotiations.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Like others have said, do some market research and go for something that you might do in a few years time. That way you aren't underselling yourself while also not giving the impression you are out of touch.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I've never had an interviewer ask that before, what a shitty thing to ask lol.

I don't know, I kind of like it. Makes me feel like I'm a big-shot and they're asking, "How much to hire you for this Italian job?"

Or to put it another way: in a fair labor market, why wouldn't you have more input into how much you're paid than "accept/refuse"? If you require a certain salary to be able to maintain your standard of living and accept a job, it shouldn't be weird/taboo to express that.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
At the last interview I did I was asked this question and I said what I currently made and then added a bit more to say what I would want in order to switch companies.

She laughed at me.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I give them a "compensation package" range. With the lower amount being what I'd be fine with, and the upper end of the range being the "cherry on top".

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
When I switched jobs I took what I made, added 5k like I wanted, then asked for 2k more than that. They agreed that it sounded reasonable. Should have asked for more!

Aussiebattler

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
Any advice for someone about to be promoted? Becoming warehouse manager, managing 4 opcos under the one roof. I'm basically getting the title with higher duties pay till the end of the year and then signing a new contract in January. I also have leverage in that no one else can do this job and the company cannot hire any outside people.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I don't know, I kind of like it. Makes me feel like I'm a big-shot and they're asking, "How much to hire you for this Italian job?"

Or to put it another way: in a fair labor market, why wouldn't you have more input into how much you're paid than "accept/refuse"? If you require a certain salary to be able to maintain your standard of living and accept a job, it shouldn't be weird/taboo to express that.
Its weird because they are hoping you'll say a lower number and they have all the power. It means you could be starting a job getting paid 10k less than someone with less experience who just said a higher number. If I was asked that in an interview I would say "At least as much as you get paid"
It doesn't tell them anything about you or how good you'll be at the job, its a chance for them to fuck you over.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I used to always say it was negotiable because I didn't have any position to negotiate. Now if a recruiter messages me and I'm interested in a role enough to message back I make my salary expectations well known. It's just not worth my time anymore to go through the interviews, which are taxing and exhausting. Some interviews are like 48+ hours of tests and work, and like.... I don't work for free so we have to have some agreement on salary before even entertaining that. I've had long interview processes where we've really been off on salary by the 2nd stage and it's just not worth it for me. Any recruiters who don't share a range on LinkedIn I just don't engage with. I tell them sorry but I'm not interested unless the employer is forthright with salary for the position.... They know the range that they're hiring, they know how much money they have for the position, so if they won't share that with me then I'm not interested in working there or interviewing there.

In Massachusetts it's illegal to ask about previous salary. I love pulling that shit on interviewers.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My company asks this question (though I wish we wouldn't) only to weed out people who have unrealistic expectations (6-figures for an entry job, basically). It doesn't affect the offer, but I'm sure that isn't true for most companies. I think it's a shitty question.

We have to weed people out early if their expectations aren't in line, because the interview process is really expensive for us - it takes up a full or half day for several people to do all of the interview rounds. If we get to the end and they expected way more money and reject our offer, that's just a big loss for us because of the time investment.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My company asks this question (though I wish we wouldn't) only to weed out people who have unrealistic expectations (6-figures for an entry job, basically). It doesn't affect the offer, but I'm sure that isn't true for most companies. I think it's a shitty question.

We have to weed people out early if their expectations aren't in line, because the interview process is really expensive for us - it takes up a full or half day for several people to do all of the interview rounds. If we get to the end and they expected way more money and reject our offer, that's just a big loss for us because of the time investment.
Any reason why the company doesn't include a salary range in the job listing?

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why the company doesn't include a salary range in the job listing?
We do. Actually we have an online tool that will tell you more or less what our offer will be (you basically input your experience and the title you're going for).

People still ask for $130,000 for jobs that just don't pay that in any market.