• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Cyberpunk 2077. I would have said BOTW2, but without know much about it I could see the critical reception being less than stellar if it's not "different enough."

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
probably a mid cinematic game

zelda wont be as well received as botw. only been 3 years, people will complain about it being the same

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
A lot of people won't like any of the big contenders irrespective of their actual quality, but no one will hate Ori.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Breath of the Wild 2 or Odyssey 2 has the be the safe bet, right? There's no Rockstar game coming out this year or anything.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see anything coming close to Cyberpunk.

Expecting 98 MC.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
GotY 2020 is going to be a bloodbath

The Last of Us 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Breath of the Wild 2 (?)
Halo Infinite

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ori will do great and I'll be surprised if it disappoints. I also think TLoU Part II will do fine, and if we do get BOTW 2 then that's a safe bet as well.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Naughty Dog games also score highly in Metacritic and I'm not sure why awards are irrelevant here as they're also tied to how critically acclaimed a game is. Is there bias there as well or does that not count because...reasons?

Top 5 Games at Metacrtics.... of the decade, 3 of them are Nintendo properties.

You see at the TOP 5, 3 games are Nintendo properties. If we remove Mario's name and Zelda's name from these titles, I don't think the same games will be sitting this high. That is what I believe.

CyberPunk 2077 will actually be an amazing game and deserves to be on top. Just like Witcher III was... IMO.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to critical be very well received but I can see a lot of gamers being disappointed with it if it's not as deep or immersive sim like as they expect. Critics won't have that problem as it'll get 9s across the board if it was just a Cyberpunk GTA clone with shallow RPG elements. Gamers wont be that forgiving.

I'm cautiously excited for TLoU2. Whilst I didn't enjoy the 1st one I do like what I've seen of the 2nd one. Plus I like Ellie as a protagonist better than Joel.

BOTW2 I'm not excited for in the slightest after the 1st one. And the short turn around for a sequel means it's going to basically be more or less than same. Critics will lap it up though. Won't score as high as the 1st one mind you but I'd be very surprises if it was less than a 93 on meta.

FF7 remake and RE3 remake I'm super hyped for. But I think they'll get lost in the noise from the 3 above mentioned games. Especially since they'll be the 1st to come out this year.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
If we're going by MC then TLOU2 or Cyberpunk will probably be the highest rated game of the year, although if Half Life Alyx does a Half Life and ends up being something crazy and revolutionary I could see that having a shot as well.

However, if Zelda launches... it's probably Zelda. The track-record of mainline 3D Zelda speaks for itself: it has an average of 95+ on MC

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The media could go with whoever. For me it will probably be Animal Crossing, Away the Survival Series or BotW 2 if it releases. Not counting out FF 7 Remake either

Oct 26, 2017

You see at the TOP 5, 3 games are Nintendo properties. If we remove Mario's name and Zelda's name from these titles, I don't think the same games will be sitting this high. That is what I believe.

CyberPunk 2077 will actually be an amazing game and deserves to be on top. Just like Witcher III was... IMO.
Remove the Naughty Dog name, none of their games would've dominated GotY awards or scored as highly. Remove the CD Projekt Red name, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't get high scores. This is what I believe /s

You do realize that that proves nothing, right?

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU2 and Cyberpunk. BotW sequel isn't a given for 2020 but that'd be up there。

Most well-received by the masses, after all is said and done?

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

It's gonna develop quite the fanart following too.

I still fear a lack of ambition. What we've seen is a good start with being able to de

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Critically? Probably The Last of Us Part II. As far as remakes are concerned, I expect FFVII:R to have the more positive reception, less convinced concerning REmake 3 as a result of the original RE3 not being as beloved as the original RE2 was (not believing that it'll do poorly critically or commercially, just not expecting it to be as big or to personally like it as much as the original RE3 either in spite of REmake 2's success and considering it an overall improvement over its original).

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's almost certain to be Cyberpunk, The Last of Us, or IF it actually releases this year Zelda BoTW2.

Games that won't get top universal praise, but still will be very well-liked and nobody will hate: Ori, Nioh 2, No More Heroes 3, Doom, and Animal Crossing.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be TLOU2. I think CD Projekt will have bit off a little more than they can chew with Cyberpunk 2077. Like being able to customize your character but then barely being able to see them. I think the first person cutscenes are a mistake beyond not being able to see your character. And aside from Keanu I don't see myself as drawn to any of the other characters as much as the Witcher series, although we haven't seen much.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018

Really, the "Belda" thing? You know that according to you the same could apply to the others

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Mine will probably be CyberPunk but I think the game is such a different environment from what CDPR is known for, I can't imagine some animosity from fans/reviewers because it's such a different universe than Witcher. And for others, it could be a convenient picking point. We know there will be massive biases for certain console exclusives (not just Nintendo for the record..) as there usually are.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing will cause us to abandon all relationships with other people and accept Pietro as our best friend

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Cyberpunk, outside of any unexpected issues. It's something "new" from a company that a lot of people love.

less

Oct 25, 2017
My money is on The Last of Us Part II or Zelda.

Zelda because Nintendo hit an amazing formula and is likely to refine it for the sequel. Barring an unexpected turn of events I think that we can expect a game in the game ballpark as BoTW.

The Last of Us Part II because Naughty Dog is simply stellar.

Others have shots but those two are likely to be the strongest in my opinion.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU2
Ori
Half life
Spelunking 2
BOTW 2
Cyberpunk

these will all get 88+ meta guaranteed.

I don't even enjoy TLOU but naughty dog knows how to work that blockbuster smash feel that everyone loves.

Half life will be the best VR game ever made and I don't like VR or HL.

Really hoping Halo comes back huge. I have high hopes but wouldn't bet on it.

Speaking of spelunky 2. Why the hell is there no hypefor it around here? The 1st one is easily one of my favourite games of all time. I only discovered it like 2 years ago too.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
One was released in 2013, one was in 1986...

Nostalgia plays are huge part in my opinion.

That is why everybody went GAGA over BOTW and Horizon was just recognized as a great game.

Maybe because many reviewers and gamers considered it to be the better game.

Also in regards to nostalgia over any game other than the 86 version, you can throw that out the window along with how Nintendo threw out the formula established with LttP.

People often look for ways to disqualify Nintendo's success and don't give credit where it's due. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

Oh, the Belda argument rears it's head again? We're done here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet its gonna be a toss up
Between cyberpunk, the last of us, and zelda, nintendo could also come out of no where with a new 3d mario game

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Either Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy VII Remake, or Last of Us Part 2.

Probably Last of Us Part 2.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TLOU Part II for me.

2077 is gonna be great but I really doubt if it will say anything actually profound when it comes to cyberpunk, if they're still stuck at the "Is robotics a loss of purity???" phase like they seemed to be in one of the earlier trailers.

I really hope BotW 2... isn't as universally adored as BotW because I want a sequel to that game to take the gameplay mechanics of BotW and do amazing things with it, like exploring an actually interesting world. I want that game to take risks, and that'll come at the expense of not having as much adoration.

FF7R will be good for what it is but it isn't the full remake so that'll curb some enthusiasm.

TLOU part II has no reason to be markedly different than what people loved about the first TLOU.

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU Part II for me.

2077 is gonna be great but I really doubt if it will say anything actually profound when it comes to cyberpunk, if they're still stuck at the "Is robotics a loss of purity???" phase like they seemed to be in one of the earlier trailers.

I really hope BotW 2... isn't as universally adored as BotW because I want a sequel to that game to take the gameplay mechanics of BotW and do amazing things with it, like exploring an actually interesting world. I want that game to take risks, and that'll come at the expense of not having as much adoration.

FF7R will be good for what it is but it isn't the full remake so that'll curb some enthusiasm.

TLOU part II has no reason to be markedly different than what people loved about the first TLOU.
BotW already took risks and Nintendo never let past acclaim for their games be excuses to not do otherwise so the sequel not being as critically acclaimed wouldn't change that, especially when the acclaim would come after the games release to begin with. I think, for some of you folk, it's time to accept that it's beloved because most people genuinely thought it was amazing

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Its low hanging fruit but I got a feeling DBZ Kakarot gonna be janky, gameplay wise and thus will suffer in reviews

Maybe Cyberpunk but we'll see

EDIT: I cant read apparently. I thought it said WONT be received well

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BotW already took risks and Nintendo never let past acclaim for their games be excuses to not do otherwise so the sequel not being as critically acclaimed wouldn't change that, especially when the acclaim would come after the games release to begin with. I think, for some of you folk, it's time to accept that it's beloved because most people genuinely thought it was amazing
I didn't mean to imply the original BotW didn't take risks.

My point is, whatever risks they took with BotW worked, so now if the sequel stays relatively close to that they know the game will sell well. A riskier, Majora-style, departure for the sequel would be more interesting to me but it might not garner as much critical acclaim as the original game.