• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, they all are alt-right goons. Theres no such thing as an "ally" you either belief 100% or you're alt-right. Louis CK has always been a POS that only pretended to give a damn. His jokes were vile and repulsive and gave fuel to the alt-right.

I don't think labelling Asis Ansari a 'right-wing goon' is really accurate, or it's trying really hard with labels. I don't follow any of the guy's comedy, never really did, but it's a stretch for him to be considered a right-wing goon. Not everyone fits nicely into the "evil" vs. "good" dichotomy.

For comedy, though, there's always been a tension between so-called PC-culture and comedy, and this goes back generations, though perhaps most famously to noteably left-wing, anti-establishmentarian George Carlin. I don't think that Carlin basing most of his comedic schtick on anti-Political Correctness makes him a right-wing goon or even a useful idiot of the right. But that comedy, satire, and social criticism can all have antagonistic relationships with what we'd consider to be 'politically correct.'

Carlin was clearly alt-right.he was against PC, he woulda been all forpeople being racist and homphobic.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is also this middle ground here

Did we turn on JK Rowling too?

sX6Dh2o.png

my goodness

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ally is such a bad term. As is woke. None of these labels mean anything. People have all kinds of views, some liberal and others conservative, and everyone has a blindspot. No one is (or can be) truly woke, and no one is an ally to ALL the progressive causes.

Just be a good person. It's a lot simpler than people make it out to be. Give love and respect to all human beings, because they deserve it by virtue of bring human. And if they, by words or actions, prove themselves unfit of that love and respect, then you can take it away. Don't be quick to judge others, and don't build preconceptions about them based on second-hand opinions. Everyone deserves a fair chance to be listened to.
I gotta defend woke a little bit. It was a term used in the black community long before social media where it was co-opted and overused .

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Ally seems weird way to support something. The way it's used, it's like allies are on the front lines with those facing hardships. Easier, and imo wiser, to support and let those who are spearheading the change to keep their course. I don't have foot in the game so I shouldn't act or speak as if I do.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Heh found my old post on this on Google.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ac...n-are-kinda-pieces-of-shit.36686/post-6862015

Basically tried to force his son's GF to have an abortion.

That's different than being alt-right. That sounds like a family related drama. I get that it's shitty, but from the info in the article, sounds more like he made a bad choice. People can make bad decisions. I don't know a single person who's never done anything shitty or made a bad choice. In the context of this thread, Mark Hamill is not a right wing goon.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Have you not seen her post transphobic shit, the UK equivalent of #WalkAway type sentiments, and accusations of the political left being antisemitic because some of them are critical of Israel? She's off her rocker.
#WalkAway? wtf?

thats disheartening, not gonna ruin my New Year's eve with this.

Have a good one folks

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent) - Trolling, inflammatory derailment + long history of disruptive behaviour.
I don't give a fuck to group people into one category. I have the ability to judge people on an individual basis and recognize that not everyone is equally good or bad, and no one is certainly 100% without their faults.

let me guess you don't see color as well? You either live and die supporting the oppressed peoples of America or you're a traitor. Ally is another word for liar. In this day and age I have no sympathy or patience for anyone not fighting the fight. Theres no such thing as nuance. when we have literally a fucking Nazi in the White House.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, they all are alt-right goons. Theres no such thing as an "ally" you either belief 100% or you're alt-right. Louis CK has always been a POS that only pretended to give a damn. His jokes were vile and repulsive and gave fuel to the alt-right.

Carlin was clearly alt-right.he was against PC, he woulda been all forpeople being racist and homphobic.
So basically, as you would use it, alt-right has no meaning at all. That's also the only way you could fit George Carlin into that category.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
You don't seem very familiar with Carlin. No, that is extremely unlikely.

He was against things like censorship and social formalities. Calling him alt-right is frankly stupid.

Maybe, I don't know, listen to his stand up some day to know what you're actually speaking to.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
#WalkAway? wtf?

thats disheartening, not gonna ruin my New Year's eve with this.

Have a good one folks
She didn't use that exact hashtag but it was the same kind of sentiment, a weird tirade about how Labour is evil and she can't support them for a bunch of wacky reasons.

Ally seems weird way to support something. The way it's used, it's like allies are on the front lines with those facing hardships. Easier, and imo wiser, to support and let those who are spearheading the change to keep their course. I don't have foot in the game so I shouldn't act or speak as if I do.

Ideally, one should make themselves involved when a sensible opportunity presents itself. People often cite the example of white folks who step in when they see racism and prejudice going on in public spaces, intentionally using their privilege to affect a situation for the better. That's the type of "ally" behavior that actually means something.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
let me guess you don't see color as well? You either live and die supporting the oppressed peoples of America or you're a traitor. Ally is another word for liar. In this day and age I have no sympathy or patience for anyone not fighting the fight. Theres no such thing as nuance. when we have literally a fucking Nazi in the White House.
Fuck out of here. This is the type of shit I hate. When did I say I don't see color? The problem with your type of attitude is you attribute malice where there isn't any either. When did I say I wasn't an "ally" or suggest I support any regressive and racist rhetoric? I don't need to preface all of my posts with everything I support. I know where my morals and values stand. They're progressive by all measures. I have no idea how saying I judge people on an individual basis WITH NO SPECIFIC EXAMPLES says I "don't see color" or support alt-right rhetoric.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't seem very familiar with Carlin. No, that is extremely unlikely.

Just like how Luis C.K was the biggest SJW Comedian turns into an alt-right goon. Sorry, not falling for this again. Comedians think being edgy is funny.

So basically, as you would use it, alt-right has no meaning at all. That's also the only way you could fit George Carlin into that category.

Alt-right is my catch all term for anyone that actively hinders progressiveness. By using racial slurs, gendered slurs, etc.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck out of here. This is the type of shit I hate. When did I say I don't see color? The problem with your type of attitude is you attribute malice where there isn't any either. When did I say I wasn't an "ally" or suggest I support any regressive and racist rhetoric? I don't need to preface all of my posts with eberhrnint I support. I know where my morals and values stand. They're progressive by all measures. I have no idea how saying I judge people on an individual basis WITH NO SPECIFIC EXAMPLES say I "don't see color" or support alt-right rhetoric.

Reread what you wrote. You're saying you don't label people.How? Why? A label is what society deems it so. It helps ID negative behaviors and stop while they're ahead.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just like how Luis C.K was the biggest SJW Comedian turns into an alt-right goon. Sorry, not falling for this again. Comedians think being edgy is funny.

Alt-right is my catch all term for anyone that actively hinders progressiveness. By using racial slurs, gendered slurs, etc.
George Carlin is dead, so he won't be turning into anything. His attacks were so often punching up that it's a bit silly to see him reconceptualized as a right winger.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Famed would-be alt-right champion (lol) George Carlin on censorship and political correctness.

People really need to listen to his material.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No one is asking you to. I don't even have an active Twitter account. It's pretty easy to come across by just being on the internet.
Clearly, it isn't as I didn't come by it. THe internet a really big place, it is unreasonable to expect everyone is clued up on everything that happens in it.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Since alt right is synonymous with nazism you're being ridiculous.

People can be bigots towards specific groups without being so comprehensively hateful to a any group that doesn't fit the nazi's self image.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

There's a difference between social commentary and being edgy for the sake of being edgy. Also, I don't think anyone particularly considered Louis CK to be an "SJW comedian", much less the biggest one. Yes, he was popular, but his comedy wasn't exactly social justice-adjacent.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famed would-be alt-right champion (lol) George Carlin on censorship and political correctness.

People really need to listen to his material.

Ok fine. I'll listen to his material. I'll make a list detailing all the problematic things he says. If he doesn't, then good, I'm glad I was wrong.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Alimnassor I'll just say I'd really suggest you should probably advert your rage from George Carlin, it's baseless and a waste of your energy. Put it somewhere more deserving.
Clearly, it isn't as I didn't come by it. THe internet a really big place, it is unreasonable to expect everyone is clued up on everything that happens in it.
I mean most of the stuff I read right here a Era or back on GAF when the articles/Tweets were posted.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Man we're already going off a cliff with this Carlin is a nazi shit
There's a difference between social commentary and being edgy for the sake of being edgy. Also, I don't think anyone particularly considered Louis CK to be an "SJW comedian", much less the biggest one. Yes, he was popular, but his comedy wasn't exactly social justice-adjacent.
he absolutely was considered that by both his fans and people who hated him

Oct 25, 2017

Anyone familiar with CK from his pre-FX show was well aware of the space he came from. People made the choice to assume he changed and was doing this for the better.

Oct 27, 2017
Chasing that "ally" status is pathetic. People so desperate to get that progressive stamp they don't actually think or self reflect on what that entails. Fuck being woke or liberal or any of these trash self prescribed mental tiers. Just believe in what you believe and own up to it. I don't understand when people say young people don't like labels because they bandwagon on them like people always seemingly have.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at television news. Kristol is now the old neo-con with a heart of gold.

Just look at late night, Jimmy Kimmel went from the Man Show and hanging onto Howard Stern to woke hero.

These people are either careerists or comedians looking for their next angle. Almost everything on television is an act. All humans have flaws and they are trying to present their best and most marketable image.

It's why guys who succeed move on from frat jokes in their 20s and 30s to mocking the unpopular President in their 40s and 50s.

It's all about "what's gonna sell." It's part of the reason I appreciate people who don't even make an attempt to say their comedy is more than an act.

Jon Stewart was called the voice of a generation while he told you explicitly he was a comedian on a comedy show and the real news people are supposed to inform you.

Bob Dylan was called the voice of a generation while he told you explicitly he was a song and dance man.

Everything that gets co-opted or eaten up by the political machine becomes fake and deceitful, because no man or woman embodies an ideology completely. Not even the damn pope.

The sooner people realize this, the faster they will get away from treating sleazy night club comics like modern day philosophers with folksy, applicable wisdom. No matter how convenient it would be to take simplistic entertainment ideas and apply their solutions to problems.

Louis CK is a comedian. He's a comedian accused of sexual predation, grasping to any angle he can get to be funny again. His previous character doesn't work anymore. It's the same reason old people don't make the same jokes as young people. The comedy only works when the character is believable or interesting.

All comedians are characters on a stage. They aren't politicians making a political speech.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
The "You either see the world exactly as I see it 100% on all issues pertaining to this subject" or else you're literally no different from universally vilified scum doesn't seem particularly useful.

You can apply this logic to near anything.
If you're a serious environmentalist and you're very much concerned about the Earth, whether or not the average person is an ally probably isn't that useful. If you sample a given set of people, most people probably aren't going to go full vegan and live a 100% green life style. But they may be in favor of subsidizing green energy, passing carbon taxes, funding additional research, and voting out climate deniers.
Sure, you can go ahead and lump the average person as a traitor to our planet but it probably isn't very useful. There's a fine difference between the average person who has varied opinions on what needs to be done to save our planet and someone who has actively lobbied to bury climate science and has worked to get legislation passed to allow chemical dumping into our environment.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Ok, I'll bite. What's "goosn".
It's a bit of slightly dated slang from the nineties used to describe a specific form of white flight: older white folks leaving northern more "urban" areas in favor of, say, a Floridian gated community more in line with their own values. Thus we have the proverbial goose flying south, "goosn" as it were.

What OP has done here rather cleverly is put a new spin on the term, the goose is now the ostracized comedian looking for a new more accepting audience. Louis CK is seeking his Florida.

OP is a genius

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Chasing that "ally" status is pathetic. People so desperate to get that progressive stamp they don't actually think or self reflect on what that entails. Fuck being woke or liberal or any of these trash self prescribed mental tiers. Just believe in what you believe and own up to it. I don't understand when people say young people don't like labels because they bandwagon on them like people always seemingly have.

Preach.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's a bit of slightly dated slang from the nineties used to describe a specific form of white flight: older white folks leaving northern more "urban" areas in favor of, say, a Floridian gated community more in line with their own values. Thus we have the proverbial goose flying south, "goosn" as it were.

What OP has done here rather cleverly is put a new spin on the term, the goose is now the ostracized comedian looking for a new more accepting audience. Louis CK is seeking his Florida.

OP is a genius
source.gif

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
They're all equally bad. Alt-right, Right, it doesn't matter.
Left leaning bigots are real. They don't buy into the white hetero male supremacy orthodoxy like right leaning people (from the United States) do but they still have hangups about certain protected classes and basically shape the underlying bigotry that hinders leftist politics.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Louis CK has always been the guy he is now. From his very first stand up act his attitude has always been 'I'm playing a cuck but I'm the real master' alt-right shit.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If someone calls themselves an "ally" that means they don't buy in to what you support, they just support that you support something, but that's fleeting and suits them.

I don't think this is fair at all. I'm an ally to LGBTQ rights because I'm not a member of that community myself. I'm a straight dude, but that doesn't mean I can't support a cause that doesn't inherently benefit me personally.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I don't trust anyone who claims to be an "ally" or "woke." You don't deserve a special title just for not being a piece of shit. If you're touting yourself as an ally just for not being a bigot, it's nothing more than trying to earn brownie points. I'm thankful for somebody not being a bigot to me, but they're not entitled to a special title or status for it.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

You seem to be giving a lot of power to the Alt-Right.

I'm not saying that's your intention, but there comes a point where flippantly throwing people into categories of political extremism, benefits them and weakens your own argument.

Also the idea that a late comedian neatly fits into a political base that didn't even exist up until a few years ago is hilarious.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust anyone who claims to be an "ally" or "woke." You don't deserve a special title just for not being a piece of shit. If you're touting yourself as an ally just for not being a bigot, it's nothing more than trying to earn brownie points. I'm thankful for somebody not being a bigot to me, but they're not entitled to a special title or status for it.

Cool, I don't really care what people call me, I've never used the descriptor loudly or demanded to be referred to as it. My only issue was that the above post implied that anyone who vehemently cares about the struggles of people that aren't their own, then it's essentially a hobby to them and will dump it whenever.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Cool, I don't really care what people call me, I've never used the descriptor loudly or demanded to be referred to as it. My only issue was that the above post implied that anyone who vehemently cares about the struggles of people that aren't their own, then it's essentially a hobby to them and will dump it whenever.
I actually was just posting my own two cents on the topic rather than replying to you. I jumped the gun and replied before reading the rest of the thread. Sorry for the confusion.