• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
So my break from WoT somehow ended being much longer than I originally intended. Back onto journey with Lord of Chaos.

Other than being absolutely stunned that Rand got surprised bonded by a 'random' Aes Sedai (Alanna), and the humiliation of it all after 5 books of "DONT TRUST AES SEDAIS". Did anyone else get the feeling that Rand was raped with non-consensual bonding?

On a side note, the journey of Rand's mental health has been one of the most intriguing plot threads in the book so far. Nynaeve/Elayne again probably the weakest.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
So my break from WoT somehow ended being much longer than I originally intended. Back onto journey with Lord of Chaos.

Other than being absolutely stunned that Rand got surprised bonded by a 'random' Aes Sedai (Alanna), and the humiliation of it all after 5 books of "DONT TRUST AES SEDAIS". Did anyone else get the feeling that Rand was raped with non-consensual bonding?

On a side note, the journey of Rand's mental health has been one of the most intriguing plot threads in the book so far. Nynaeve/Elayne again probably the weakest.
That's exactly how you're supposed to view it.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
OK, after rereading the other 11 books, I've finally finished The Gathering Storm.

The last 40% of the book I've read in 1 sitting. Couldn't put it down. It's been a looooong time since that happened with a book. So good.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
OK, after rereading the other 11 books, I've finally finished The Gathering Storm.

The last 40% of the book I've read in 1 sitting. Couldn't put it down. It's been a looooong time since that happened with a book. So good.
The Gathering Storm probably has my favourite ending in the series. I got really emotional reading it.

The lines, "Storms may come, it seemed to say. But I am here I am here." Just made me feel like Jordan way saying both a goodbye to his readers and that he'd be there with us for the rest of the journey too. It made me tear up, honestly.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

As someone else said, you're reading into that scene correctly. It will be addressed later.

Nynaeve - Keep reading. I promise.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Got through chapter 29 last night on A Memory of Light. I'm starting to get emotional while reading. The end is coming, and I don't know if I'm ready.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
BOOK 13 ToM SPOILER. WHOLE BOOK.

Except that the Gholam will be falling forever. What a Mat way to finish off an unkillable creature!

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Mid book 6
Holy shit.

Holy shit . I actually woke up from my half asleep stupor when I read that.

She IS awesome. Her development has been amazing and her newfound (still in development) humbleness was what allowed her to reach that.

She is definitely my favourite character of the series so far. With the rest of the EF5 close behind.

Last edited:

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I've reached the conclusion that I really don't care about anything Morgase does.

Hell even Gawyn and Elaine are more interesting.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Mid book 6
Holy shit.

Holy shit . I actually woke up from my half asleep stupor when I read that.

She IS awesome. Her development has been amazing and her newfound (still in development) humbleness was what allowed her to reach that.

She is definitely my favourite character of the series so far. With the rest of the EF5 close behind.
Which character are you talking about here sorry?

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Which character are you talking about here sorry?

Nynaeve. Guess I was so tired and excited at the same time that I forgot to actually name the character.

The chapter is "Fire and Spirit" Definitely one of my favorite segments so far.

When I read that segment, I could vividly imagine it. The anticipation, the emotion, the realization of what just had happened.

It was amazing.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Nynaeve. Guess I was so tired and excited at the same time that I forgot to actually name the character.

The chapter is "Fire and Spirit" Definitely one of my favorite segments so far.

When I read that segment, I could vividly imagine it. The anticipation, the emotion, the realization of what just had happened.

It was amazing.
Oh yeah that's a fantastic chapter.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
So I finished LoC last night and was so hyped after the Dumai's Wells chapter that I couldn't get to sleep.

Insanely memorable and quotable chapter in the series so far.

"We come"
"I am the Lord of Morning" while effortlessly stilling 3 Aes Sedai
"Asha'man kill"
Rand's burning banner rising up above the dome for everyone to witness
"Kneel and swear fealty to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt"

Overall really enjoyed Lord of Chaos despite its bubbling pacing for most of the book. Highlights definitely being Rand's relationship and struggle with Lews Therin.
The biggest criticism probably that 99% of the issues in the book could have been resolved if anyone attempted to communicate with one another. Additionally, the fact that Jordan brings in a number of additional Aes Sedai into the cast which I've been mentally juggling trying to remember after every POV change (thank god for the WoT compendium mobile app).

Onward to Crown of Swords to see how the relationship of the Aes Sedai with Rand changes after the Salidar/White Tower 'diplomatic' attempts and the Asha'man public display, with Rand now having the upper hand.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
So I finished LoC last night and was so hyped after the Dumai's Wells chapter that I couldn't get to sleep.

Insanely memorable and quotable chapter in the series so far.

"We come"
"I am the Lord of Morning" while effortlessly stilling 3 Aes Sedai
"Asha'man kill"
Rand's burning banner rising up above the dome for everyone to witness
"Kneel and swear fealty to the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt"

Overall really enjoyed Lord of Chaos despite its bubbling pacing for most of the book. Highlights definitely being Rand's relationship and struggle with Lews Therin.
The biggest criticism probably that 99% of the issues in the book could have been resolved if anyone attempted to communicate with one another. Additionally, the fact that Jordan brings in a number of additional Aes Sedai into the cast which I've been mentally juggling trying to remember after every POV change (thank god for the WoT compendium mobile app).

Onward to Crown of Swords to see how the relationship of the Aes Sedai with Rand changes after the Salidar/White Tower 'diplomatic' attempts and the Asha'man public display, with Rand now having the upper hand.
That last quote still gives me chills.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I finished and the world is empty. What an ending though.

Planning on writing up detailed comments later tonight.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Stream of thoughts that I have (whilst probably forgetting 28955 ideas I want to write):
Rand - My favorite. I'm usually drawn to main characters as my favorite. There were times when Rand tried to stop this trend but he came through in the end. Rand atop dragonmount might be my favorite chapter in the series. Some might say love is cliche but I would argue that when it's done with the right weight, the right tone, the correct writing it is powerful.
His worst moments: the paranoia he faced from the madness mixed with the PTSD from the imprisonment down to near his worst when he almost kills Min, nearly losing his humanity were all great and awful parts to his character.
I loved the ending. I loved the trap, I loved using both sides of the one power but using the true power to keep them pure and free of taint. It's so simple that I find it funny I didn't think of it as a possibility.
My smile in the title comes from seeing Rand ride off into the distance with nobody knowing who he was except for presmably Alivia, Elayne, Min, Aviendha, and by inference Cadsuane.
Min will follow him right away. Elayne would travel to him like once a year, she's going to be busy being Queen and raising her twins. And Aviendha would come to him like once every few months. Having 4 babies and being a wise one will keep her busy. But with babies, I'm not sure what would happen. Would Rand want to be there? Would it be weird that he's not in his body?
I've read that it's never revealed how the pipe is lit, but in my head cannon he can now channel the pure one power that he channeled to close the bore, a gift from the creator. If Perrin can basically be anywhere at anytime, Mat gets luck, Rand can get this.

Mat - Mat was a character that I did not enjoy near the start of the series. There were a lot of comments to keep reading and I'm glad that he grew on me. On top of this, I think the writing around him improved a lot as well before Sanderson took over. When he was on his own his character really came out I thought. Jordan found this perfect place for him where he balanced between scoundrel and good guy. Very Han Solo in the OT of him. His constant fighting and underestimating Egwene was funny to me. I was happy when Elayne acknowledged that he was raped. His complaining decreased as the series went on. And I know what he did was different than what he said, but burn me, sometimes it was just too much.
I'm sad we won't see Mat sailing back west with Tuon to reclaim the homeland and hopefully saving her from being assassinated and even getting them to open about about the one power.

Perrin - Hated moody Perrin for like 2 books but he's basically become a god in Rand Land. Able to move anywhere at anytime is some crazy OP power. Even though he was moody, he is always a great friend, loyal, and a wolf-bro so overall I was pretty happy with him.

Aes Sedai - Basically the Jedi of the prequel trilogy. Full of themselves and near useless when it came to actual combat. For the glimpses we saw of the actual test, it seems sisters would try to use emotional personal moments to break sisters and forgot, being confronted by darkfriends? Despite this, once you find out the extent of the black, this begins to make more sense, but that begs the quesiton, how could you let like 25% of existing sisters be black.

Verin - She gets to be the first Aes Sedai listed. She saved them. I'm sure she killed and did awful things in the name of the black but it was toward the end game, when she lies to Egwene, I let out a noise that my wife looked at me odd. Could she have come out earlier? Maybe. Could she have saved lives? Maybe. But not really knowing if Rand was for real and then even when it was shown he was, not that much time changed before the end of the series.

Moraine - Gets to go second for the AS despite her missing from like 60% of the series. I enjoyed her from the start and while something in the back of my head for the first book or two questioned her motives I'm so happy she ended up being what she was. The only thing that I was confused on was the marriage to Thom. I need to re-read and see if this is hinted at. To me, it just sort of happens. Typically I like character deaths to stay, but I'm glad she came back and it wasn't a completely deus ex machina sort of way. I was happy that she was there with Rand in the end. Reading the prequel to those last pages. It just sort of hit me, the journey she was on, at times with nobody to help her. She's up there in MVP discussion. I also wonder if she knows that Rand is alive.
I'm really excited for Rosamund Pike to play her. If the show makes it all the way through, I'm really excited for her sacrifice and then for her to come back. I think it can be an amazing moment.

Nynaeve - My name is Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap, toward Garmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone? I got chills typing that out. Nynaeve to me at the start of the series was insufferable. Like so many here heard, "just keep reading". I'm very happy that those comments did not disappoint. While she was more in the background toward the end, the moments she did have were fantastic and I'm very happy that she was there with Rand in the end. I liked the call back of her using to help Alanna with out the one power.

Egwene - I think I go against the majority on Egwene. Usually when I saw comments about her here they were very negative. Her arc from rebel to imprisoned amyrlin seat was I think one of the best written arcs in the series. It reminded me so much of Andy Dufresne.
She butted heads with Rand near the end (and Rand didn't help her out at all with telling her nothing of the plan. Not even an "I have a plan but I really need to keep it secret for it to work") but she was what the Aes Sedai should have been. Nynaeve brought this up to when discussing power levels and how it's dumb that AS just bow to another higher in the power level despite experience or age. Egwene is pragmatic, was willing to evolve (though stubborn personally), she showed this by the changes she was going to bring to the AS, and was willing to put everything on the line for the Light, no matter the cost. I'm very curious at what a 100 year reign as amyrlin seat would have done.
Her constant fight with Mat and underestimating him was funny to me.
Her weakest link is Gawyn. I hate him. I hate her relationship with him.

Logain - I wish there was more. At times in AMOL, I was thinking to myself "bruh, you sure you didn't go dark?". The torture he endured clearly left his mark where thinking back on it I think is right because he shouldn't be normal after weeks of torture. And then in the final pages, he breaks? When the refugees say they'll send her son when he's of age if he has the talent, I just wanted to cry for him (I'm bad at crying). When Gabrelle names him Sealbreaker I smiled.
Padan Fain - Did Sanderson forget about him? He seemingly came out of nowhere at the end. Would have loved for a little more chaotic evil out of him and had him butting heads with one of the forsaken.
Lanfear - Eat shit.
Future - the future as Aviendha saw it is gone. But, with graendal on the side of the light under Aviendha and moghedien collared for the seanchan it's really interesting to think how the future will develop as they can both mine for information from the age of legends.
I read that Sanderson he could have written 3 books instead of AMOL and wish that, that had happened. I felt like AMOL despite EVERYTHING that was piled in was just pedal to the medal for the entire time. As mentioned above, I could have used more.

I'm going to read The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Jordan & Patterson next. If there are any other materials I should purchase please comment below. I need more.
One to a new series or back to Emond's Field, hmm.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Stream of thoughts that I have (whilst probably forgetting 28955 ideas I want to write):
Rand - My favorite. I'm usually drawn to main characters as my favorite. There were times when Rand tried to stop this trend but he came through in the end. Rand atop dragonmount might be my favorite chapter in the series. Some might say love is cliche but I would argue that when it's done with the right weight, the right tone, the correct writing it is powerful.
His worst moments: the paranoia he faced from the madness mixed with the PTSD from the imprisonment down to near his worst when he almost kills Min, nearly losing his humanity were all great and awful parts to his character.
I loved the ending. I loved the trap, I loved using both sides of the one power but using the true power to keep them pure and free of taint. It's so simple that I find it funny I didn't think of it as a possibility.
My smile in the title comes from seeing Rand ride off into the distance with nobody knowing who he was except for presmably Alivia, Elayne, Min, Aviendha, and by inference Cadsuane.
Min will follow him right away. Elayne would travel to him like once a year, she's going to be busy being Queen and raising her twins. And Aviendha would come to him like once every few months. Having 4 babies and being a wise one will keep her busy. But with babies, I'm not sure what would happen. Would Rand want to be there? Would it be weird that he's not in his body?
I've read that it's never revealed how the pipe is lit, but in my head cannon he can now channel the pure one power that he channeled to close the bore, a gift from the creator. If Perrin can basically be anywhere at anytime, Mat gets luck, Rand can get this.

Mat - Mat was a character that I did not enjoy near the start of the series. There were a lot of comments to keep reading and I'm glad that he grew on me. On top of this, I think the writing around him improved a lot as well before Sanderson took over. When he was on his own his character really came out I thought. Jordan found this perfect place for him where he balanced between scoundrel and good guy. Very Han Solo in the OT of him. His constant fighting and underestimating Egwene was funny to me. I was happy when Elayne acknowledged that he was raped. His complaining decreased as the series went on. And I know what he did was different than what he said, but burn me, sometimes it was just too much.
I'm sad we won't see Mat sailing back west with Tuon to reclaim the homeland and hopefully saving her from being assassinated and even getting them to open about about the one power.

Perrin - Hated moody Perrin for like 2 books but he's basically become a god in Rand Land. Able to move anywhere at anytime is some crazy OP power. Even though he was moody, he is always a great friend, loyal, and a wolf-bro so overall I was pretty happy with him.

Aes Sedai - Basically the Jedi of the prequel trilogy. Full of themselves and near useless when it came to actual combat. For the glimpses we saw of the actual test, it seems sisters would try to use emotional personal moments to break sisters and forgot, being confronted by darkfriends? Despite this, once you find out the extent of the black, this begins to make more sense, but that begs the quesiton, how could you let like 25% of existing sisters be black.

Verin - She gets to be the first Aes Sedai listed. She saved them. I'm sure she killed and did awful things in the name of the black but it was toward the end game, when she lies to Egwene, I let out a noise that my wife looked at me odd. Could she have come out earlier? Maybe. Could she have saved lives? Maybe. But not really knowing if Rand was for real and then even when it was shown he was, not that much time changed before the end of the series.

Moraine - Gets to go second for the AS despite her missing from like 60% of the series. I enjoyed her from the start and while something in the back of my head for the first book or two questioned her motives I'm so happy she ended up being what she was. The only thing that I was confused on was the marriage to Thom. I need to re-read and see if this is hinted at. To me, it just sort of happens. Typically I like character deaths to stay, but I'm glad she came back and it wasn't a completely deus ex machina sort of way. I was happy that she was there with Rand in the end. Reading the prequel to those last pages. It just sort of hit me, the journey she was on, at times with nobody to help her. She's up there in MVP discussion. I also wonder if she knows that Rand is alive.
I'm really excited for Rosamund Pike to play her. If the show makes it all the way through, I'm really excited for her sacrifice and then for her to come back. I think it can be an amazing moment.

Nynaeve - My name is Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World's End toward Tarwin's Gap, toward Garmon Gai'don. Will he ride alone? I got chills typing that out. Nynaeve to me at the start of the series was insufferable. Like so many here heard, "just keep reading". I'm very happy that those comments did not disappoint. While she was more in the background toward the end, the moments she did have were fantastic and I'm very happy that she was there with Rand in the end. I liked the call back of her using to help Alanna with out the one power.

Egwene - I think I go against the majority on Egwene. Usually when I saw comments about her here they were very negative. Her arc from rebel to imprisoned amyrlin seat was I think one of the best written arcs in the series. It reminded me so much of Andy Dufresne.
She butted heads with Rand near the end (and Rand didn't help her out at all with telling her nothing of the plan. Not even an "I have a plan but I really need to keep it secret for it to work") but she was what the Aes Sedai should have been. Nynaeve brought this up to when discussing power levels and how it's dumb that AS just bow to another higher in the power level despite experience or age. Egwene is pragmatic, was willing to evolve (though stubborn personally), she showed this by the changes she was going to bring to the AS, and was willing to put everything on the line for the Light, no matter the cost. I'm very curious at what a 100 year reign as amyrlin seat would have done.

Logain - I wish there was more. At times in AMOL, I was thinking to myself "bruh, you sure you didn't go dark?". The torture he endured clearly left his mark where thinking back on it I think is right because he shouldn't be normal after weeks of torture. And then in the final pages, he breaks? When the refugees say they'll send her son when he's of age if he has the talent, I just wanted to cry for him (I'm bad at crying). When Gabrelle names him Sealbreaker I smiled.
Padan Fain - Did Sanderson forget about him? He seemingly came out of nowhere at the end. Would have loved for a little more chaotic evil out of him and had him butting heads with one of the forsaken.
Lanfear - Eat shit.
Future - the future as Aviendha saw it is gone. But, with graendal on the side of the light under Aviendha and moghedien collared for the seanchan it's really interesting to think how the future will develop as they can both mine for information from the age of legends.
I read that Sanderson he could have written 3 books instead of AMOL and wish that, that had happened. I felt like AMOL despite EVERYTHING that was piled in was just pedal to the medal for the entire time. As mentioned above, I could have used more.

I'm going to read The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Jordan & Patterson next. If there are any other materials I should purchase please comment below. I need more.
Egwene is my favourite character, maybe ever.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Egwene is surely

the final villain and the real Great Lord of the Dark.

-------

Question about AMOL regarding something that passed my line of sight.

Is it true that post the big climax, clash, final battle, whatever, there is only a single chapter for the epiloguey side of things ? The fallout, the state of things after everything, characters just resting and talking to each other, etc ? (Just kindly, don't spoil anything else.)

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Egwene is surely

-------

Is it true that post the big climax, clash, final battle, whatever, there is only a single chapter for the epiloguey side of things ? The fallout, the state of things after everything, characters just resting and talking to each other, etc ?
Egwene is one of the best characters in the series.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
May the Dragon ride again on the winds of time. Sitting atop Dragonmount, contemplating ending it all, ironically an ending that the main antagonist would prefer, and only being saved by the unreal whispering of a previous iteration, it's something. The writing in that scene is fantastic and while I've admired fantasy literature since I was a child, looking at you Lloyd Alexander and Susan Cooper, there has been nothing that impacted me as much as this series. It isn't perfect, there's a lot wrong with it. But what it gets right, it fucking nails.

For me it combines wonderful world building with frenetic battles and some real philosophical struggles with nihilism and hopelessness. It's something I struggle with too, my life has been easy compared to Rand's but seeing his struggles it's hard not to feel that opportunity is only lost if you give up.

I very much enjoyed this Series, but I much preferred The Sword of Truth series. Sword of truth brought me to tears at some moments.

I hate to break it to you, nor am I trying to speak ill of the dead but the entire series is just complaining about communism. It's a fantasy opus dedicated to objectivism. There is genuine emotion and by no means am I minimizing the effect the books made on you.

When you get to the point in the series where the "hero" murders innocent protesters and the solution to all the world's problems is to segment the entire population, yeah...

Egwene is one of the best characters in the series.
Readers have a hard time with how she treats Nynaeve, especially locking her into a nightmare of rape in order to hide her own lying. When I say readers, I guess I mean me. One could say that it's never really brought up again, so perhaps Nynaeve never views it that way but I have a hard time articulating my feelings on her. Like all WoT characters she's flawed. I mean who falls in love with Gawyn for God's sake.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Readers have a hard time with how she treats Nynaeve, especially locking her into a nightmare of rape in order to hide her own lying. When I say readers, I guess I mean me. One could say that it's never really brought up again, so perhaps Nynaeve never views it that way but I have a hard time articulating my feelings on her. Like all WoT characters she's flawed. I mean who falls in love with Gawyn for God's sake.
Honestly completely forgot about that scene. Doesn't change how I feel about her, though. She's the perfect foil to Rand and compliments his arc greatly.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Egwene is surely

-------

Is it true that post the big climax, clash, final battle, whatever, there is only a single chapter for the epiloguey side of things ? The fallout, the state of things after everything, characters just resting and talking to each other, etc ? (Just kindly, don't spoil anything else.)

AMOL structure. Yes. I'm guessing b/c of Jordan's death and what he was able to leave.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

Lanfear - Eat shit.

I agree with most of your thoughts.

I am glad you liked the last book. 10 years ago myself and everyone reading WoT and GOT thrones, including myself, vastly preferred Game of Thrones. The first 3 books of GoT are really amazing and seemed to set up something extraordinary for the ending. And for WoT the series really started to fade after book 6 (though reading though it again I kind of like all of them). But Sanderson definitely found a way to execute on Jordan's vision and the last book is just so epic whereas GoT seems really shitty and cheap to me now. I have read the last book 3 times now and Sanderson really did an amazing job with all of the major characters and showing their value and importance of the last battle. I definitely was really annoyed by Egwene at times but she goes out in arguably the most badass way for any character in the series. Even when dead she aids Rand is figuring it out. Mat is just the best. Watching him turn into this genius was really entertaining. Lan and Nynaeve probably peaked when they separated and he rode off to war (the scene when Nynaeve calls on the other Malkieri in that shop or bar was really epic) but Sanderson/Jordan really nailed the ending in how the Dragon/Rand fixes what he once broke in the prior age.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
FWIW Jordan was infamous about underestimating book size and count. AMoL reads fast but isn't short by any means; if Jordan had made it that far himself he probably would have split into yet another 2-3 books. Sanderson is kind of an ideal sub because he has the organization and speed that Jordan constantly tried for but never reached.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
FWIW Jordan was infamous about underestimating book size and count. AMoL reads fast but isn't short by any means; if Jordan had made it that far himself he probably would have split into yet another 2-3 books. Sanderson is kind of an ideal sub because he has the organization and speed that Jordan constantly tried for but never reached.
Jordan is famous for saying the series was going to be a trilogy 😂

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
About to go into the last chapter of book 6. The so famed Dumai's wells. I'm curious, to say the least.

Edit:
Ok. That was brutal. And the way that conflict ended... Brutal and awesome in many ways.

Also. Moghedien is free once again. I should be more worried. But it is Moghedien.

On to book 7. Into the mire I go...

All in all, I feel that the set up and build up for this battle was handled beautifully, up to and including the execution of the actual battle.

Although I'm not sure if I should be hype about Rand finally taking charge and standing up to the Aes Sedai, or horrified at the utter brutality Taim and the Asha'man displayed in the battle. It was a massacre.

I guess either Aginor or Balthamel is back. Not sure which one though.

... By the way. What was Demandred doing? Setting Tel'aran'rhiod bombs or something???

Last edited:
OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
About to go into the last chapter of book 6. The so famed Dumai's wells. I'm curious, to say the least.

Edit:
Ok. That was brutal. And the way that conflict ended... Brutal and awesome in many ways.

Also. Moghedien is free once again. I should be more worried. But it is Moghedien.

All in all, I feel that the set up and build up for this battle was handled beautifully, up to and including the execution of the actual battle.

Although I'm not sure if I should be hype about Rand finally taking charge and standing up to the Aes Sedai, or horrified at the utter brutality Taim and the Asha'man displayed in the battle. It was a massacre.

... By the way. What was Demandred doing? Setting Tel'aran'rhiod bombs or something???

You can watch this now!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Edit:

Keep reading as far as the answer to your last questions, it eventually gets answered by RAFO is a famous Jordan saying (Read and Find Out).

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Keep reading as far as the answer to your last questions, it eventually gets answered by RAFO is a famous Jordan saying (Read and Find Out).

All right. I'll trust you.
.but si far, Demandred (and most of the forsaken) have been the embodiment of "They are just standing there... Menacingly!!!"

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
You know. It is weird. I am reading the series for the first time now. But I'm fully aware I am in the right age group to have read and grown up with the Wheel of Time.

It feels like I missed out on the whole community aspect and at the same time I didn't? Kinda feel like an outsider in this situation. It is a bit frustrating.

Weird, isn't it?

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
You know. It is weird. I am reading the series for the first time now. But I'm fully aware I am in the right age group to have read and grown up with the Wheel of Time.

It feels like I missed out on the whole community aspect and at the same time I didn't? Kinda feel like an outsider in this situation. It is a bit frustrating.

Weird, isn't it?
You can always go through older discussion groups like rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan or later on, theoryland to try to experience that a bit. :)

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Weird, isn't it?

Yea, same.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
A third into Crown of Swords/book 7, is this the beginning of the "slog" that gets thrown around?
I can't help but feel that the pacing of the book grinds to a halt in comparison to the first 4 books.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
A third into Crown of Swords/book 7, is this the beginning of the "slog" that gets thrown around?
I can't help but feel that the pacing of the book grinds to a halt in comparison to the first 4 books.
Various people define slog differently but yes, either 7-10 or 8-10 are the most common delineations.