• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I was a little shit as a kid and always grounded. This left me with a lot of spare time with nothing to do in my room. I started throwing poker cards. I haven't done it in a while but I got pretty good at it. I could throw a card consistently 30 feet on target and make it stick in a piece of foam.

Gambit origin story.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
1. Colored smoke or fireworks, depending
2. I'm lazy, thought I was crazy and avoided it as a kid when I found out it's weird to see music
3. Color varies the most, but the shape can be dramatic. Some things are so intense they look like static.
4. I know all the lyrics, beats and notes (colors) Husband is a musician and often used this ability to learn stuff from me. I just tell him 'Nope, it's higher/lower' until he gets it.
Damn that's cool.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i forgot to add to my other post and i have no idea how common it is but my big toe isn't the one that sticks out the furthest,the next toe in is.
My friend is like this! You are not alone! If I remember right his third and fourth toe are pretty equal in length to his big toe as well.

OP
OP
striderno9

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
It's something I've had my whole life so it's hard to imagine seeing any other way. I was literally floored when I found out not everyone sees music. It'd be like you finding out it's extremely rare to see in color
That makes sense, so you just assumed everyone was like that because why would you question it. So weird and cool.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
  1. I read in a "spiral" - rather than reading from right to left. While it allows me to read rather fast, it also makes tasks that reading fast isn't a "boon" more difficult.
  2. I have synesthesia. I see certain numbers or letters/words as shapes or in different colors. I sometimes wonder if this is one of the reasons as to why I read the way that I do, but no clue.
  3. My memory is pretty solid - some say I have a photographic/eidetic memory but I don't necessarily fit into the perception of that classification. I can only "hold onto" a memory for a few moments - which is pretty much how I read. Read the first page in a spiral, start doing the same for the next page - while doing so, the sentences and all start to "form" from the first page in my mind. I can retain some specific quotes from novels I've read multiple times or specific events that mean a lot to me. But I can't tell you what I was doing on <insert date> at <insert time> or what I was eating for breakfast on a specific date or anything.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
My ankle audibly clicks on every stride making any attempt at being a sneaky sneak fail miserably. Due to an old injury from High School over 20 years ago.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I can chomp my teeth aggressively load, vibrate my uvula, make that thing in the ears vibrate when I close my eyes really hard, pop my nose, ambidextrous, pop my jaw out of place to take larger bites (dentist told me not to do this anymore lol), shake my eyes really fast, move the corners of my eyelids in,

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
  1. I read in a "spiral" - rather than reading from right to left. While it allows me to read rather fast, it also makes tasks that reading fast isn't a "boon" more difficult.
  2. I have synesthesia. I see certain numbers or letters/words as shapes or in different colors. I sometimes wonder if this is one of the reasons as to why I read the way that I do, but no clue.
  3. My memory is pretty solid - some say I have a photographic/eidetic memory but I don't necessarily fit into the perception of that classification. I can only "hold onto" a memory for a few moments - which is pretty much how I read. Read the first page in a spiral, start doing the same for the next page - while doing so, the sentences and all start to "form" from the first page in my mind. I can retain some specific quotes from novels I've read multiple times or specific events that mean a lot to me. But I can't tell you what I was doing on <insert date> at <insert time> or what I was eating for breakfast on a specific date or anything.

Synesthetes unite! Are you also sad you don't have the math one? I hate math :(

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Synesthetes unite! Are you also sad you don't have the math one? I hate math :(

I actually have my master's in mathematics! I love math, but it's one of those tricky things where my brain hasn't made any major correlations that allow synesthesia to give me a "boon" in the field (I'm sure you understand what I mean). It's cool and can sometimes help when skimming over things (looking for certain numbers or formulas) but not so much when you need it for other things. Most of mine is focused on written words. I think audio to sight would be much cooler (but I'm also a bassist).

I know you mentioned it before (just glanced through your posts) - but seriously: the moment you realized that other people don't see things the way you do is absolutely mind-blowing. I was just talking to my teacher in second grade about how certain words were blue or teal and she looked at me as if I were insane. She told me that others don't read like I do, or see colors/shapes around words either. It was a moment of absolute confusion for a few days.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I actually have my master's in mathematics! I love math, but it's one of those tricky things where my brain hasn't made any major correlations that allow synesthesia to give me a "boon" in the field (I'm sure you understand what I mean). It's cool and can sometimes help when skimming over things (looking for certain numbers or formulas) but not so much when you need it for other things. Most of mine is focused on written words. I think audio to sight would be much cooler (but I'm also a bassist).

I know you mentioned it before (just glanced through your posts) - but seriously: the moment you realized that other people don't see things the way you do is absolutely mind-blowing. I was just talking to my teacher in second grade about how certain words were blue or teal and she looked at me as if I were insane. She told me that others don't read like I do, or see colors/shapes around words either. It was a moment of absolute confusion for a few days.

Yes, so much. I remember talking to my brother about a song and casually mentioned the part that 'goes in a circle', and getting that same look.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i have a lazy eye that i can somewhat control, pretty much like this

12969407-14686142170-r.jpg

it happens involuntarily alot, but i can take control if i focus on it

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
My friend is like this! You are not alone! If I remember right his third and fourth toe are pretty equal in length to his big toe as well.

after reading your post i thought i would look at my feet because i never really pay attention to the others but now you brought it up toe 3 appears to be the same length as the big toe,the others look like a normal step down each.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a form of synesthesia. When i hear music, see numbers, etc, every element is its own "organ" in an "organ system" in a way... it's own piece of a puzzle, it's very easy for me to deconstruct in my head, because i can see it visually to an extent. It's not these bright flashing colors blocking your vision like you'd think, it's much more internal.

Every note, chord, number has its own color. I don't have "perfect pitch" but i can identify notes as if they have their own personalities/colors. really helped me come into my own, creatively, while playing guitar, piano, drums, making beats, producing, etc ... music is very natural to me, however, synesthesia affects me day to day. even regular interactions like talking to people or being around many people can get very intense. It's overstimulation in a way.

I have an extremely good memory, i can remember almost every conversation i've had with people, and this probably has to do with some form of synesthesia, being able to follow each nuance and tonality in my very own subjective way. In school, i was always day dreamer, especially in classes like math, because i'd see the numbers as colors, having their own personalities, it was never anything that i could explain or articulate in a way that was understandable, or even think was special or different, or in this case "weird"

Last edited:

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I can, and usually must, eat enough for 3+ people, and it doesn't cause me to gain weight. If I try to keep a more "normal" diet, I get shaky and dizzy. Both a blessing and a curse.

Not to make light of other people's depression, but I really like to be in a depressed mood. It heightens my emotions, rational thinking, and creativity. Anxiety is less welcome.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1. Colored smoke or fireworks, depending
2. I'm lazy, thought I was crazy and avoided it as a kid when I found out it's weird to see music
3. Color varies the most, but the shape can be dramatic. Some things are so intense they look like static.
4. I know all the lyrics, beats and notes (colors) Husband is a musician and often used this ability to learn stuff from me. I just tell him 'Nope, it's higher/lower' until he gets it.

Sorry for so many question but I just find this amazing. I'm a musician and I can't imagine what this would be like.

1. Where does the smoke/ fireworks emmit from? The sound source? So if someone was playing gutiar, you'd see smoke coming from the strings?
  2. Did it scare you at first?
  3. Can you turn it on or off?
  4. Is it annoying when you watch movies?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Sorry for so many question but I just find this amazing. I'm a musician and I can't imagine what this would be like.

1. Where does the smoke/ fireworks emmit from? The sound source? So if someone was playing gutiar, you'd see smoke coming from the strings?
  2. Did it scare you at first?
  3. Can you turn it on or off?
  4. Is it annoying when you watch movies?
1. It's just there in my visual field like...floating music. It's hard to describe. It's more vivid closer to the source.
2. Only after I found out it wasn't normal. Before that I thought that was just how music worked.
3. No
4. Only if the effects sounds are louder than the dialogue. I am 'blinded' to the dialogue because of the loud effect/background noise

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
i can blow spit bubbles off the end of my tongue.
Lmao I learned how to do this when I was a kid after watching a girl do it while waiting in the queue at Wookey Hole Caves back in the 80s.(weird flashback :/ )

There is something deeply satisfying about doing it, but you obviously can't let other people see you doing it as it's rather vile. Haven't done that in ages.

No wait, I just did!!

Last edited:

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The inside of my hands are extremely wrinkled, like an old person. They always were like that, even when I was a teenager.

Edit: Well ok, it's not really an ability. So let say I have the ability to channel the future 85 years old me... in my hands?

Last edited:

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can crack my knuckles (and wrist also, I guess) constantly forever, instead of the one good crack once a day thing that other people seem to do.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I can crack my knuckles (and wrist also, I guess) constantly forever, instead of the one good crack once a day thing that other people seem to do.
I've been able to crack my right wrist indefinitely after it was fractured in my teens. I guess some of the parts in there never totally or correctly recuperated.

I'm also a decent voice impressionist, if that counts.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I can burp on command. Don't need anything to do it. Not very usefull, i agree.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I can memorize music really fast, by that I mean a few listens. Comes in handy when I like something and wanna hum to myself but I kinda wish I learned an instrument lol.

With this same skill I also memorize the exact way that people say things/characters say lines in a game or cartoon. Or useless things like knowing near every pokemon up to gen 6's cries by hearing it lol

In general it's not very useful but I tend to surprise friends and such with it from time to time.

Oct 28, 2017
I can 'turn off' my hiccups just by thinking about it. 100% success rate, and only works when I consciously decide to stop them. I've no idea how it works, I don't feel any change, they just stop.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Some of you are basically superheroes...or at least sidekicks.

I can make rapid-fire loud burp all day long without drinking any gassed beverages.