• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The early Baldur boss fight in God of War is the kind of insipid "cinematic AAA" tripe from last-gen that almost made me quit the game. I'm glad I didn't, because the game is solid, but fuck this kind of encounter. More bosses like Valkyries, less setpieces please.

Is this a joke? I've known about Loki since I was a kid and I never watch any Marvel content ever.

I see what he's getting at, but it's a bad take regardless. It took advantage of an expanded knowledge of Norse mythology because of a cultural shift. That shouldn't detract from the game at all. Plus...yeah anyone who likes myth would know about that, no Marvel required.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new Smash character was a disappointing final announcement at the game awards, was about as exciting as a new Forza car pack

crash-14

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man's been getting a massive pass for its repetitive, frankly boring side missions.

By fans? Maybe (But swinging it's so fun).
By reviews? Hell no. Some reviews gave it an 8 and their biggest (And even only) flaw was the side missions, which I don't think should drop the score you're giving that hard.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Not only was RDR 2 my game of the year, but I legit really loved all the super realistic and tedious aspects of it that drove others crazy. Totally immersed me in the world like no open world game before.

Edit:
Also I really really loved Detroit

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Celeste is hipster nonsense and not deserving of any praise.
I'm not a huge fan of Celeste's gameplay myself, but what do you mean by 'hipster nonsense' here? I quite liked the music, the theme, the art etc.

Some interesting shoutouts in this thread, have added The Messenger and Vampyr to my 'to play' list.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Spider-Man open world activities are really lame and disappointing, also the DLCs were pretty mediocre.

Instead of following Arkham City or Knight side quests, Insomniac went to the usual fetch quest and repetitive task.

Oct 27, 2017
And the plot twist at the end, no one will admit, is only interesting because of the MCU. Anyone claiming to casually have knowledge of that person outside of the Thor movies is full of shit.

Just because you know fuck all about Norse mythology doesn't mean everyone does. If you're part of western culture and haven't at least a surface-level knowledge of Odin, Thor and Loki then that's your own ignorance, not everyone else being "full of shit".

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just with regard to Norse mythology I'm sure my school briefly touched on it, same for Greek and Egyptian mythology, and Celtic myth I picked up from my family. Various fantasy books, films and games touch on them too. I don't see how the most basic aspects of myth cycles believed as truth by large populations and then studied as myth by academics worldwide for centuries and then widely borrowed from for entertainment is something obscure outside of Marvel's stories. Mythological names are often used for this, that and the other as project names in tech and military circles too, it's evocative stuff.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
God of War is a bland, average game at best.
  • The encounter design is practically nonexistent, and there is almost no growth in gameplay complexity between the beginning and the end of the game.
  • The game is terrible at mixing cutscenes and gameplay: It's QTEs are hilariously awkward, and after every remotely emotional scene (save one), the game goes "Objective complete! EXP get!" and Mimir starts telling us where to go next, meaning the game's emotional moments never get any time to breathe.
  • Mimir is in no way smart. He is Kratos' idea of a smart person: Someone who merely knows some facts.
  • The narrative's themeing is all over the place; just an inconsistent mess. The story itself is full of irrelevant story moments that don't impact the central narrative at all, which makes me question why they were ever included.
  • The boat is such an awful way of traversing the game's world, that I didn't. Inexcusable when BotW, Gravity Rush, and Spider-Man do this so much better.
  • Climbing is the single worst, most time-wasting gameplay mechanic in modern gaming.
  • Literally there are only two interesting boss fights in the entire game.
Its positive reception, specifically the praise for its story as being mature, absolutely baffles me. Every statement it might have made, it fails to make coherently.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have said it before and I will say it again. Forza Horizon 4 is dissapointing compared to Horizon 3.

Landscape variation (weather does not makw up for that. Australia was way better).

Showcases.

Progressive system.

It's a great game, but a dissapointing sequel.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
I had no problem with RDR2s story missions and didn't find it a big deal that it wasn't open-ended.

I liked the linear narrative against an open-world.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
God of War was largely unimpressive and thoroughly forgettable.

If I didn't frequent this forum I would have already forgotten it existed.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Spider-Man sucks.

The combat is not that different from your average Spider-Man game and fighting enemies is not fun. Traversing is the only Thing I find entertaining. Everything else is kind of underwhelming.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's one: I think Sony's first-party (and second-party to an extent) library in 2018 and at present is drab and lacking not just in gameplay, but more importantly, in artistic design. The whole 'open-world, third person action-adventure with ocassional stealth elements' shtick is one thing, but the idea everything is trying to go for that technically-impressive, realisitic-as-possible graphical look with a 'cinematic story at its heart' has gone beyond tiresome now. God of War, Spider-Man, Detroit: Become Human, Days Gone, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding. Dreams might be the only exception at present, but it's exactly that...an exception rather than the standard. The only times when PlayStation seems to diversify on premise and aesthetic, is when Japanese devs are among the roster - Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, Persona. Say what you will about Xbox's exclusives (and yes, I agree that they're lacking) but at least something like Sea of Thieves or Crackdown 3 has a different visual/aesthetical look than yet another "look as real as possible". Same with Nintendo; the end results may differ - and there may indeed be some cross-over as to the gameplay - but at least they're trying different things on the visual front and more importantly, actually want to be treated as games first and foremost.

I just look at [specifically] Sony's line-up last year and coming up and can't help but feel, on visuals and more worryingly in gameplay in a lot of parts, it all just blurs into the exact same lifelessly grey and unappealing goop.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
God of War's reception is another line on the long list of the medium trying to find its own Citizen Kane with the goal of being treated seriously.

It's not that good.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
God of War is the most overrated game of 2018. It's a great game but nothing amazing.

- Story is awful
- A fair amount of characters are very poorly developed
- Boss fights are some of the worst I've come across in a game
- Optional realms are pure filler
- Handles RPG-like elements poorly
- Graphically it looks pretty bad at times (Helhiem and Niflheim for example)

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Ni no Kuni 2, while certainly a disappointment compared to the first game, is still actually quite good! It's better than fuckin' Xenoblade 2 anyway, that's for sure.

God of War isn't a masterpiece. It's a damn fine game that still has a whole host of problems and that single camera shot needs to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest XI is overrated as fuck. I keep seeing people on here say it's one of the greatest JRPGs ever, if not the greatest, and man if that's the case then it's a damning indictment of the JRPG genre.

I'm not saying the game's bad, it's fine.. good even, but that's about it. I don't really think there's a single area in which it stands out as being better than the competition: the OST hurts my ears and is crafted by a piece of shit to boot, the combat is serviceable at best, the story is whatever, the cast is actually pretty good tbf can't hate, but yeah overall it doesn't really do anything new or excel in one specific area. It's kind of just ok to kind of good in most areas and I don't really consider that to be GOAT material.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atreus is the most annoying kid I've ever seen in a videogame and somehow he gets even worse after a certain event.

Oct 25, 2017
GOW 2018 peaked with the fight against the Stranger and never came close to recapturing that excitement for me.
The early Baldur boss fight in God of War is the kind of insipid "cinematic AAA" tripe from last-gen that almost made me quit the game. I'm glad I didn't, because the game is solid, but fuck this kind of encounter. More bosses like Valkyries, less setpieces please.
Interesting.

Celeste is hipster nonsense and not deserving of any praise.
what does the word hipster mean to you?

it was supposed to be Metroid Prime 4 plus Metroid Prime trilogy HD, but it didn't happen because of obvious reasons.
And you know this how ...

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 was a maddeningly frustrating game that excelled at some things (the world) and pretty much dropped the ball on everything else (shooting, movement, general gameplay mechanics).

Return of the Obra Dinn is a neat concept and I thought the puzzles were fine. However, the artstyle was just awful. Game itself also wasn't super fun.

Hollow Knight's save system is terrible and sucked the fun out of that game. Dying constantly and having to run through the same areas over and over again sucks.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite had actually innovative gameplay as opposed to all the top AAA games of the year.

Spider-Man proves you don't NEED to do a lot of shit if you're game is just straight up fun and you're providing a type of fun no one else is.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
All the people shitting on Celeste are breaking my heart :,(

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was supposed to be Metroid Prime 4 plus Metroid Prime trilogy HD, but it didn't happen because of obvious reasons.

Oh right that makes sense, Nintendo still had a slot so they had to fill it with something. That would have been a hell of a closer. What were the obvious reasons, I'm out of the loop?