• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your thought on Atlassian JIRA?

• It's great. The customization and automation possibilities are amazing.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • It's okay...

Votes: 244 66.7%
  • It's awful. Worst piece of software ever.

Votes: 74 20.2%

• Total voters

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
As a generic ticket tracking system with support for project planning and sprint tracking, it's great for small to mid-size companies and even many larger companies that don't have the know how or funding for project management tools.

lupin23rd

Oct 27, 2017
It gets the job done, as a QA Engineer it is better than the other tools I've used before it. Just gotta make sure the flows and processes are all good.

Pet peeve is devs not wanting to engage with it, ignoring the flows or asking me to add bugs for them. Bro, you're a web developer not God crafting the 10 commandments, learn how to use the tool and write up a proper bug report yourself.

Also this gave me a chuckle during the pandemic.

stoff

Oct 27, 2017
It's a decently good Bug tracker.
Unfortunately my managers are under the false impression that JIRA is a Project Management tool.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great tool, unfortunately every company I've worked at didn't have a dedicated Jira person, it was always a side-task for some support team leader or an admin, and it was always configured badly and full of obsolete bullshit that a full-time Jira admin would have solved in a week.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I used it in a highly regulated environment and it was basically a reporting tool not a project management tool. Quality team owned the entire process of how we could use it and it was absolutely garbage process that didn't provide any usefulness to how we planned and built software. In fact I would suggest the way it had been set up was actively harmful/dangerous to how we delivered features and had the opposite effect of what was the supposed remit of the quality team.

Oct 25, 2017
"What do you mean, 'I can't manually update my Resolution status'?!?
My work is complete, ticket's closed, and the resolution will forever be Unresolved?"

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
I'm about to be promoted into a JIra admin role with my job. I better learn to love it more or else I'm going to be miserable lol.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Best tool for the job I've run across thus far. Biggest issue with it is the humans using it - so many admins don't want to configure it in a way that meets needs, and so many users don't want to put any effort into using it or tailoring it to their needs.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
JIRA is terrible!

It's also infinitely better than almost every alternative, especially something developed internally. And it's flexible enough that a dedicated JIRA engineer can turn it into something not-terrible.

But it's also terrible that making it useable takes a full-time, dedicated engineer.

And even though it's better than 95% of the alternatives, the 5% that are better absolutely wipe the floor with it. Like, no matter what, JIRA will never catch up to YouTrack.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
JIRA is terrible!

It's also infinitely better than almost every alternative, especially something developed internally. And it's flexible enough that a dedicated JIRA engineer can turn it into something not-terrible.

But it's also terrible that making it useable takes a full-time, dedicated engineer.

And even though it's better than 95% of the alternatives, the 5% that are better absolutely wipe the floor with it. Like, no matter what, JIRA will never catch up to YouTrack.
An engineer, and a dedicated PM to wrangle it, on top of the usual PM-y tasks

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I just use it to report bugs and issues I've come across. I'm at a public transport company working on scheduling, run time analysis and calender management. The software we use is developed in Canada while we are based in Belgium. If there's issues I come across, I'll create a JIRA ticket and the support team in Canada will reply (eventually). It gets the job done.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I've got real issues with the way some structures are displayed in it. There's a really annoying thing about trying to expand columns that consistently makes life harder for me.

Otherwise, it's generally okay, though slow. Confluence is, IMO, more annoying.
I don't know if my work just hasn't upgraded or expanded what's possible in JIRA and Confluence but yeah, Confluence is a terrible experience. Editing using the CMS is whatever (barely functional at times) but my main complaint is that I can't access anything from a navigation standpoint.
My work uses it as an information hub for each department, but it seems like spaces are only "unlocked" after I've visited them from a link. I can't just click "HR" as an option and then go to "Benefits" it's only accessible via direct link. Once I've clicked that, maybe it will appear in my navigation bar. Is this a thing? Am I just frittering away in lonesome madness or is this how Confluence always works?

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
It's okay. But I definitely hated it at first lol. Doesn't help that our development team doesn't have admin rights to configure our board the way we want *sigh*

Oct 25, 2017
Definition of feature creep and over engineering that gets misused by teams all the time leading to it becoming a slow bloated mess

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I have only used it so don't have much frame of reference, but my problems so far always seem to stem less from the tool and more from the higher ups changing the process every week. How they want things done changes so often that no one really knows how to use it or set up things, so we end up with a mess with awful signal to noise ratios and constant bitching about people not "using it correctly."

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of the box it's so busted as to be useless. If you have dedicated Prod resources to customize and manage it it's unparalleled. But that makes it really hard to recommend

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use JIRA all day honestly. I don't mind it whatsoever. We have so many sprints and fix versions on a monthly basis I really can't imagine us handling it any different. Also use confluence a lot too, but frankly I hate trying to format documentation on it. I don't think that's a knock on the software and just my inexperience using it for documentation creation.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
JIRA is some of the worst software I've ever used, bar none.

Everytime a customer says they use JIRA I die inside.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if my work just hasn't upgraded or expanded what's possible in JIRA and Confluence but yeah, Confluence is a terrible experience. Editing using the CMS is whatever (barely functional at times) but my main complaint is that I can't access anything from a navigation standpoint.
My work uses it as an information hub for each department, but it seems like spaces are only "unlocked" after I've visited them from a link. I can't just click "HR" as an option and then go to "Benefits" it's only accessible via direct link. Once I've clicked that, maybe it will appear in my navigation bar. Is this a thing? Am I just frittering away in lonesome madness or is this how Confluence always works?
I think you're looking at the "last visited spaces" menu, which is basically like a browser history (except with spaces instead of individual pages). That's not the menu where you can find the full list of spaces!

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but I think it needs to be more opinionated and less customizable.

I don't understand why it has like a million synonyms for "won't fix" or "depends on"

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I love making new jira tickets for myself and immediately closing them for stupid task oriented shit that takes 20 seconds to complete.