• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of subscription services?

• Love it and I use it to its fullest

Votes: 75 19.1%
  • Love it, but i end up not playing or playing partially most of the games i download

Votes: 75 19.1%
  • It's ok for me, but i would prefer some option to keep the games forever, with a fee

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Not for me, I prefer to own my games and be able to go back to them in the future.

Votes: 154 39.3%
  • I despise the business model and i wish it would go away (explain why in the post)

Votes: 33 8.4%

• Total voters

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We are now in the age of subsriptoion services.
Little teenager me would have never thought of a future where for a small monthly fee I could potentially play dozens of games "freely".

As a teenager, with way more free time, i would have loved the service, especially since i've never been a guy that plays games at day one, so having the chance to play old-ish games for like 5 bucks a month would have been an heavenly alternative of going digging on gamestop's bin for good offers.

As an adult though, I end up downloading a lot of games and never actually play them, or play them for a couple hours and then switch to another game due to so much choice ...and i guess lower attention span.

what's your experience withe various game pass, ea access, humble monthly and the like?
Would you like for the business model to be expanded to other companies (of course without actually buying games being gone), or you wish it was never a thing to begin with?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't mind the model, but it's not for me

Something like Gamepass, where you can still download games and play them locally, is a million times more interesting to me than streaming games and dealing with the downsides of streaming

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as a working adult it's pretty much burning money. though YMMV some can totally sit down with one game and have it platted by the weekend

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I'd rather own the games I buy, forever.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Don't care for them. I don't like the fact my library could be switched off at any point in time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Streaming only is a big no

I'd rather pay for something like Humble Choice than other subscription services.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With such a huge selection it makes it easier to actually never finish a game.

Not for me, tbh.

And for things like Gamepass, i really can't figure out how can that be affordable for Microsoft or the devs in the long run...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Love it. I never cared about owning games. Most games I play once and never touch again.

Benefit is that I'm discovering more games I'd otherwise never play. Negative is the complete lack of time.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't like the concept of renting my games at all and also think this is going to negatively influence the quality in the long run. It's also going to push additional monetization to offset the lack of upfront revenue.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it devalues the games and would lead everything to consume more. Just play without taking your time, without thinking about it, because you have more games for a cheaper price on your disposal. And it will lead to worse games or to less variety.
How can you break even with such a service, if it is already hard enough to find a game that justs costs 60$ without some preorder, season pass stuff in it? And if a dev is getting paid based on the percentage of the overall playtime, then guess what where this will lead us. Exactly, more "Liveservice" games that demand more and more of your time and less shorter, finite and experimental games.
I would rather pay 60$ (or 20-40$ on an indie game) and take my time with that investement and own this copy.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's pretty great to get 1/2/3 months, play everything that interests me, and get out.

It's something hard to subscribe continuously for me because i always feel bad playing/purchasing stuff outside the gp when i have a subscription, and i always want to play specific games in specific moments. Game pass has so many games, but never that one game that you really need to play at the time.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Mixed. I don't buy enough new games to justify them - I'll buy 4-6 on sale in a week and then nothing for the rest of the year. Also, I'd rather have less games that I focus on than an infinite amount I can jump to and from.

On the other hand, I realized most games I finish are "done" when I finish them. I have no desire to "own" or replay most games I finish, so I have no problem with the "renting, not owning" idea. I might subscribe to Switch online (is that the name?) and go through some SNES games, for example.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes i used various subs models; Origin Premiere for SW Jedi Fallen Order and Gamepass for The Outer Worlds (due to EGS exclusivity).

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I like them and happily use them. I'd prefer to own a game, but it's not something I put a premium price tag on. An entire year of Game Pass for PC, not accounting for any deals, is about the price of 2 and a half full-priced games. And I buy waaaaaaay more than that in a single year. So would I want to own them? Sure. Would I pay literally hundreds of pounds to own them instead of just a few quid a month to play them? Hell fucking no. So that's all it comes down to for me. Value.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
None of the options fit for me. I don't have any problem with it, and I've been renting games since the mid 80s. To me, the more modern subscription services are just another iteration of Gamefly or Redbox. I just activate one of them when there's a new game I'm on the fence on, and there might be at least one or two more games within that service that I want to play. Then I just cancel at the end of the month. Not going to just keep it active at all times throughout the year. Not enough games on the current services that I want to play anyway.

Also, owning the game is a non issue. If I like it enough after having rented it, I'll just eventually get it again later on when it's on sale.

Don't like the concept of renting my games at all and also think this is going to negatively influence the quality in the long run. It's also going to push additional monetization to offset the lack of upfront revenue.

Renting games is not new. The only thing I can see happening with the current models is they become unsustainable.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
While I prefer to own my game outright I do like subscription services. As someone with limited income, paying a small fee to have access to a bunch of games, some even new is great. Without Gamepass I flat out wouldn't be able play games like Gears 5 or The Outer Worlds without waiting for a price drop..

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Love it both as a player and a a dev.

I try out and play more varied games.
And I get to receive income over time without having to rely on the old "launch window is all that matters" mentality.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I don't mind them but don't really use them or care for them. I just buy what I want and don't lack games I wanna play that I need something to show me new ones for cheap.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Love it, so long as it doesn't remove the ability to own games. Currently no subscription service precludes ownership.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I prefer to buy games or use services like HumbleMonthly/Choice where I get to keep games forever.
But I can see the value the other subscription services provide even tho I really dislike their revenue models and think these models are unhealthy.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I love them for any single player story driven game since I usually only do one playthrough unless it's really good (aka The Witcher 3). If it's GaaS or MP (Destiny, Halo, etc.) then I'd prefer to own the game outright since I'll be playing it for quite a while. Either way, Gamepass is phenomenal and is pretty much the only subscription service I'll ever bother with.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not for me. I've used them occasionally (currently subscribed to ps now)

But I find I rarely play anything on it due to there being too much choice.

If it was a smaller selection of day 10-20 games that rotated every 3 months or so I would probably be way more into it.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Love Game Pass, which enables me to try new games I wouldn't normally buy.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like the idea of depending on sub services for tentpole releases, and some replayable bite-sized indies on hand.

Last edited:

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing.

Ive been a long time subscriber of gamepass on both Xbox and pc and Ive easily got my monies worth, I've played through loads of top quality games.

I recently got a months sub to Origin access for £15 and completed the new Star Wars game.....again amazing value for money.

I live game subs. Thinking about it I've been a subscriber in WoW for over 12 years (on and off) and gotten thousands of hours of gameplay value too.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is the best to happen to gaming for me. Paying a lot less than I would normally on games I get to play more quality games that I normally do, including nearly everything I would have bought day 1 or on sale, with only a few notable exceptions many of which are already covered by EA Access however, which at 25 Euros per year it's a no-brainer to get relatively quick access to all FIFA, Need For Speed, Battlefield, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Plants VS Zombies, etc..

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me.

I dont have time to play as i used to, so i'd rather focus on games i want to play instead of having "all the games" that i actually dont want to play available to me (as long as i keep paying monthly for them that is).

Then there is the ownership part, which i value greatly, so things like origin access and game pass are a no go.

On the topic of game pass, i am currently trying it on pc thanks to the 1€/1month offer and i'm having a mixed experience so far, with games that are broken (gears of war ultimate edition), games that perform worse or just lack of options available to configure the games due to them being UWP versions (like applying reshade to Hellbade, which i wasnt able to).

No thanks.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The only good subscription service currently is Gamepass in my opnion, the rest can burn for all I care.

Dec 16, 2017
I love Game Pass. If I really love a game, I'll buy it, but Game Pass allows me to try and possibly live a whole lot of games I wouldn't try otherwise.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a echo of that moment when mobile gaming became a thing and 40-50$ DS games were compared to unbelievable 2$-5$ iphone/ipad games.

Everybody was happy, then the race to the bottom killed the market, and reality kicked in and now mobile is rightfully described as a joke.

It's an echo of that moment when PS plus was a thing, and suddenly effing amazing games were given for free to the point it almost felt risky to buy a high profile game, because in a few months it would hit PS plus.

Everybody was happy, then the race to the bottom killed the market, and reality kicked in, and now PS plus is mostly a dumpster fire.

I'd say: I'm going to enjoy the hell out of Gamepass, until reality kicks in and the market fixes this anomaly.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have Gamepass but still buy games I know will be special like Forza Horizon, Gears 5 and Halo. But for games I'm ok to play once like Outerworlds and Psychonaughts, Tomb Raider, its a blessing as I get to experience these games where I might have been content to look past them for the next big game.

So both options like we have currently.