• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you miss achievements/trophies/scores on Nintendo's Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 616 33.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,122 60.8%
  • Sometimes (please elaborate)

Votes: 108 5.9%

• Total voters

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Cheevo notifications were the first thing I deactivated when I got a 360 and my PS4. As long as I can turn it off easily so it doesn't ruin my immersion with a game, Nintendo can do what they want. My backlog is enormous enough as is so if I want to replay a game, it'll be on its own merits and not arbitrary unlocks of "do such and such until your mind is numb"

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I never really understood the obsession with achievements and such. Like if I beat Ninja Gaiden on master ninja or something, the little achievement adds nothing to what I accomplished. The game acknowledges it in-game, and I know whether I beat it or not. I just don't see what these really add.

I wouldn't be upset if Nintendo added them, but I'd not pay them any mind just like on Xbox or PS. They're largely pointless.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I find achievements to be the single most worthless/arbitrary thing ever added to video games and can't comprehend why people care about them when they add nothing to games themselves and they are so inconsistently applied they are not even good at the thing they are meant for, which is displaying actual achievements and comparing them to others.

So I don't really care either way

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It's nice not having the chase for achievements looming over my gaming experience.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It's completely meaningless to not have them; just another of many reasons to never buy third party games on Switch.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think about it at all when I'm on Switch. I enjoy seeing a little achievement pop up as much as anybody, but overall it's a relief more than anything. Sometimes I'll have a friend poking through achievement lists and grill me on why I haven't done X in a game and it's just annoying lol.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
I'm happy they're not there. I like completing a game when I'm done with it, not when some pointless icon tells me it's complete.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The entire Switch OS is incredibly lackluster.

Some social features and achievements would be nice. Literally anything.

I never really understood the obsession with achievements and such. Like if I beat Ninja Gaiden on master ninja or something, the little achievement adds nothing to what I accomplished. The game acknowledges it in-game, and I know whether I beat it or not. I just don't see what these really add.

I wouldn't be upset if Nintendo added them, but I'd not pay them any mind just like on Xbox or PS. They're largely pointless.
Your friends can see what you've accomplished.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't give a rat's ass about achievements or trophies. I play games until I'm bored of the gameplay, then I move on.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I stopped caring about achievements/trophies maybe 10 years ago. Before the end of the 360 cycle. They're a distraction more than anything. Nothing like having a serious moment ruined by a "ding" and a pop up window.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
If I was a kid I would want it, we were always competing over who "actually" did the thing, and achievements let you prove it / brag to your little buddies haha.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't care at all for achievements. They seem to me to be an artificial and forced way of "guiding" the player.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I never cared about achievement/trophies so it doesn't bother me in the slightest that Nintendo doesn't have them on their systems.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I finally quit caring about trophies last year but when I did, I liked that Nintendo games didn't have them lol, one less thing to "worry" about.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
No. They've never had any tangible benefit to me. If the tied into ingame unlocks that may change, but that's unlikely

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could not care less that they're missing.

I've actually been wondering for a bit if achievements are a net negative now. They feel like they could be something used to manipulate more engagement from people. Play a game if you want, sure. But when I see so many people mention they prefer to play or only games with them I have to start to side-eye the system a bit and wonder how it's being used.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
When the Switch first came out it kind of annoyed me, but these days I hardly bother going for trophies on PS5 so I don't really miss them on Switch.

Deleted member 5189

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What i really miss is the ability to gift friends games directly via the eShop. I don't care for achievements.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I mean its another feature that can add a lot to game if you like collecting achievements and trophies, and if you don't can be turned off. There's no benefit to Nintendo NOT implementing a similar system

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care. I've played dozens of games with these achievements and it has enhanced my experience a grand total of 0 times. Conversely, I have also played dozens of Nintendo games and I have felt that they are lacking for not having this a grand total of 0 times.

In game achievements and whatnot are cool, which are in many games including Nintendo ones but yeah trophies/gamerscore meh. Don't even know what my 'score' is on both PS and Xbox for both of these systems and I've owned them for years.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm kind of indifferent to the feature. I probably wouldn't mind if it was added so long as it's not mandatory for games to support it, but it's not something I really actively think about.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, they suck when mandated at the OS level. I like it when developers make their own little achievement lists in-game when they want to voluntarily though.

May 14, 2021
With Nintendo's general online and friend list ineptitude, achievements are low on the list of issues I have with Nintendo.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Meh; don't care for achievements anymore. It sucks for people who like them though.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care. I was never too into them on other platforms, and nowadays I usually don't even look at the achievement/trophy list.

I also don't missing seeing an emotional cutscene followed by unlocking an achievement for beating chapter 8 or whatever and having the mood ruined (I know you can turn notifications off, but this was still an amusing/odd occurrence that has happened to me).

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I don't think they need it, but there's some games that are clearly geared towards achievements and it feels weird when the developers don't adapt them to be shown ingame.

For example, games that are meant to be replayed to get different endings. Clock Tower on the SNES and PS1 would have a menu to keep track of which endings you have seen, but many indies nowadays just use the achievements for that, so you'd have to keep a mental track.

In those cases I miss them, yeah. But it's more the developer's fault than Nintendo imo.

OP
OP
ThreepQuest64

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I mean its another feature that can add a lot to game if you like collecting achievements and trophies, and if you don't can be turned off.
I'm all in for options and really like the idea. Maybe being asked on an OS or per game basis if you wish to enable achievements and/or show achievement notifications or not.

I like to think of them more of a digital journal or log than something I seriously pursue. I like journaling and sorting libraries and stuff (like having shelved collections in Steam/GoG).

Achievements are some kind of activity logger for me I like to look at from time to time and talk about with friends.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm really glad they aren't there. Feels nice to not worry about them. I know you can get into the "just ignore them" on Xbox/PS but it's not that easy.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Personally have not cared for achievements since early PS3 launch days where collecting them seemed like fun to show off. I don't care at all for modern achievements and don't miss not having any implementation of them on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

I tried turning the notifications off on my PS4 and instead it just mutes the whole game when one would play. yaaay

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Switch not having trophies was the reason I effectively jumped over to Playstation. I don't really play on my Switch anymore. Sometimes I kinda want to, like when they released the Xenoblade remake I thought I'd play through it again and enjoy the extra stuff, but then I said, nah, don't really have that kind of time to spend on a game with no trophies. Next victim is probably going to be No More Heroes 3. I'll just play something on the PS instead.

DMPinheiro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Never cared about these. If I really want to 100% a game I don't want to do it only to get a platinum trophy.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care. I think the only achievement I've ever actually chased is Legendary Gardener in Nier Replicant. And only because I wanted to be able to prove I grew a Lunar Tear.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care that they don't have them. I probably wouldn't care if they did. But honestly not having them is probably better. I have them turned off on playstation anyway so they don't interrupt things.

Maybe there's some people who gotta have them, but I think the era of caring about them has past for most.

KlaxOnKlaxOff

Mar 3, 2021
I'm not personally motivated by system-level achievements. I find them annoying and would rather turn them off. However, it seems to be something many gamers are interested in so I can't say it's not a negative on Nintendo's part to not include them.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I find achievements to be the single most worthless/arbitrary thing ever added to video games and can't comprehend why people care about them when they add nothing to games themselves and they are so inconsistently applied they are not even good at the thing they are meant for, which is displaying actual achievements and comparing them to others.

So I don't really care either way

It's not that hard to understand. They expose additional objectives for games or other ways to play you may not have considered otherwise. I've definitely had fun trying for some achievements that I don't think I would have even considered if not given something to aim for.

I also disagree they're not good at comparing. Monthly high scores are something my friends and family engage with and enjoy all the time.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't care less. Achievements are completely meaningless to me and add zero value to a platform.