• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your preferred playstyle in combat?

• Counter-heavy waiting for the right moment

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Get in and get out quickly

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Far range and projectile heavy

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Setting up traps and turrets

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Up close and aggressive

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Slower-moving but tanky and hard-hitting

Votes: 15 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
This applies to all types of combat games. What style do you prefer in combat? I tend to lean towards characters or builds that let me get in and out quickly. Love to flank opponents, feeling like a ninja and all.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I like to run up and hit things with a sword and not die until I do die and someone heals me until I can run up and hit things until I die again.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to run up and hit things with a sword and not die until I do die and someone heals me until I can run up and hit things until I die again.
This is how I'm playing dark souls 3 currently. I have a boring strength knight build with the long sword. I pump all my souls into More Health, More Stamnia, and More Damage. I have the rings that make me do more damage at full health and recover my stamina faster(so I can run up and hit people with my sword even better). I want to run up to every scary ass monster and punch them out in five seconds.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like being aggressive, up in the enemy's face and dodging or parrying. Never block, hate shields, hate having having to use a shield or see a shield on my character.

This is how I'm playing dark souls 3 currently. I have a boring strength knight build with the long sword. I pump all my souls into More Health, More Stamnia, and More Damage. I have the rings that make me do more damage at full health and recover my stamina faster(so I can run up and hit people with my sword even better). I want to run up to every scary ass monster and punch them out in five seconds.

My Dark Souls 3 playthroughs were that but with Dex weapons (used scythes, a katana and a sword that one of the early bosses creates), always two-handed, always pumping souls into Health/Stamina/Damage lol. Was so fun.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I wanna be up close where the action is.

Also applies to fps games because in multiplayer even a lot of skilled or experienced players cant handle that sort of tactic.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017

Good man. It's the only way. It's how I play MonHun and basically every MMO as well.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
It's a combination of up close and aggressive and being able to move in and out quickly. In games where there are builds, my build usually ends up being a glass cannon. I can do lots of dps and dodge away comfortably at a moments notice. The flip side is my characters tend to die in a couple hits.

I also like playing as characters who are good at a bit of everything.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I suppose waiting for the right moment is my way of playing. I spend way too much time planning instead of just gunning everything down.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Up close and aggressive. I like to be lightly armored and use dodges to avoid damage entirely. For weapons I do prefer heftier weapons, but only if I don't have to sacrifice mobility. So it depends on the game really. In the Dark Souls games I tend to wear little to no armor, which lets me use greatswords or even the slab of metal that is the Greataxe, no problem. In Monster Hunter I almost exclusively use hammers. But in a game like Nioh I like the super speedy tonfas because it has built-in dodge mechanics, whereas most other weapons rely on parries. In RPGs like Dragon Age, due to its mechanics, I only use daggers because two-handed builds are so damn slow. To me, speed is power.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of magic users, which are usually long distance, but they pretty much never a lot of fun in practice. Rushdown is usually the most satisfying.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That depends on the enemy most of the time but i feel in most games up close and aggressive yields the best results and fits me perfectly.

OP
OP
trimin

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand I did love to use the brawling gloves to give enemies the beatdown in Hades :p Figured out the dodge build and beat the game with it. Ended up being my favorite build.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Agressive but lately I've found myself getting bored like that so sometimes I play just for counters and dodges just because they look cool, many times it goes wrong but I dunno lately it's how I've done it

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at this list I think this is one of the issues I have with Ghost of Tsushima's combat. It feels as though it really leans into a single style of play, that defensive / passive style where you're just reacting to enemy attacks.

Anyway, I like to mix playstyles wherever possible. I like to make decisions in combat and shift my playstyle based on the situation. I was playing Shadow of War recently, and I think that offers a good balance. It does force you to use every playstyle at one point or another (you can hardly not play reactively, as if you're not parrying then you'll get hit) but in general you can be more aggressive, more defensive, more ranged, you can use stealth, you can use the environment, or you can even use the enemies themselves against each other.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Looking at this list I think this is one of the issues I have with Ghost of Tsushima's combat. It feels as though it really leans into a single style of play, that defensive / passive style where you're just reacting to enemy attacks.

Anyway, I like to mix playstyles wherever possible. I like to make decisions in combat and shift my playstyle based on the situation. I was playing Shadow of War recently, and I think that offers a good balance. It does force you to use every playstyle at one point or another (you can hardly not play reactively, as if you're not parrying then you'll get hit) but in general you can be more aggressive, more defensive, more ranged, you can use stealth, you can use the environment, or you can even use the enemies themselves against each other.
It really does, I don't mind it since I play like that a lot but yeah on Legends I started mixing waiting for dodges and parries with aggressiveness due to it being online and there you can't wait that much

OP
OP
trimin

trimin

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the reasons why I love Hades so much. It rewards so many different play styles and the randomness allows you to experiment and discover different ways to play. I would have stuck with the spear but then the random 20% drop bonus on the gloves made me want to try it and I found a new favorite.

Jan 15, 2018
Stylish, so whatever looks best. If it has heavy RPG elements though (like the Souls series), I'll go for whatever seems more effective most of the time.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It really does, I don't mind it since I play like that a lot but yeah on Legends I started mixing waiting for dodges and parries with aggressiveness due to it being online and there you can't wait that much

I think it really tries to encourage playstyles to be more versatile with the rock paper scissors system (shields, swords, spears etc) but even if you use the right type of attack they still block it until their stamina is depleted. Whereas if you just react and hit them, it doesn't even matter what stance you're in, the attacks always land.

It feels like the game has some conflicting ideas there, I think. Perhaps using the right stance should do more damage, or the attacks should be faster. But I found it so much easier to just react and either dodge or parry, then attack.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I think it really tries to encourage playstyles to be more versatile with the rock paper scissors system (shields, swords, spears etc) but even if you use the right type of attack they still block it until their stamina is depleted. Whereas if you just react and hit them, it doesn't even matter what stance you're in, the attacks always land.

It feels like the game has some conflicting ideas there, I think. Perhaps using the right stance should do more damage, or the attacks should be faster. But I found it so much easier to just react and either dodge or parry, then attack.
Yeah, especially the perfect parries, that shit eats up their stamina and health regardless of stance, near the end of the game I kind of forgot the stances at times due to how OP the parries were in comparision

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I think stance switching + the perfect parry/dodge systems let you be both aggressive and reactive at once, just with different enemies. You can just do triangle on someone you've got the appropriate stance for and do stagger damage while countering whoever interrupts.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Rushing them down most of the time. If it's an immersive sim that lets you do a lot of stuff, I like to set up a "death room" and lure the enemies to my assortment of traps/hostiles/hazards etc.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think stance switching + the perfect parry/dodge systems let you be both aggressive and reactive at once, just with different enemies. You can just do triangle on someone you've got the appropriate stance for and do stagger damage while countering whoever interrupts.

I do but I think the actual stamina damage from tapping triangle is too low, so I usually learn to the 'hold' attacks which break stamina quickly and usually kill. But then, the attack windup is quite long for those, so as soon as you have a lot of enemies around you it's pretty unworthwhile much of the time.

I do attack where it makes sense, but I do think that by default it pushes you to that more passive style. Also the duals are very much in that direction. With unblockable attack sequences that often can't be avoided if you begin an attack. So, it ends up being easier to just wait and react.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
I've always loved Batman: Arkham combat (origins is an exception, combat feels really junky in it), and Sekiro's combat is possibly my all time favorite.
So, I guess "counter heavy"?