• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I've been wanting to make this thread for 2 years now, and to not turn this into a list thread I'll keep it short. In 2018 I decided I can't wait any longer for Playstation exclusives. So I got a PS3 early in the year, and on there I started playing the franchises I missed out on over the years. Starting with Demon's Souls, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Red Dead Redemption, God Of War Series and finished it with Nier.

That all prepared me and I got a PS4 Pro afterwards and continued all those franchises, plus Bloodborne, Uncharted series, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, The Last Of Us Remastered, Dragons Crown, Red Dead Redemption 2 and the Quantic Dream games.

Besides those Playstation games, I also played Breath Of The Wild that year, Doki Doki and Thronebreaker (last one being a more personal favorite). I beat 74 games total that year, normally I beat around 30. And it was just major game after major game. It truly was an amazing experience to play all those classic games all in a row. Meeting Kratos, Drake, Aloy, Joel & Ellie, The Hunter, Arthur, John Marston, Big Boss, Solid Snake, Papa Nier..the list goes on. Just an insane year which I don't think I can ever top.

So what about you guys? I'm sure game devs would respond to this differently. Shipping their first game for example. Or maybe more personal reasons about gaming with friends/family/lover.

This still comes across as a bit listly so lock if it's not allowed

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Breath of Fire 3, Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, Panzer Dragoon Saga

3 of the all time greats, absolute JRPG nirvana. I'd been saving up to buy a second hand saturn because the Shining Force 3 previews looked so great, AND IT WAS WORTH IT

Also got Zelda OOT for christmas, and my brother got Metal Gear Solid for his PSX which I enjoyed.

OP
OP
JustinBB7

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017

Breath of Fire 3, Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, Panzer Dragoon Saga

3 of the all time greats, absolute JRPG nirvana. I'd been saving up to buy a second hand saturn because the Shining Force 3 previews looked so great, AND IT WAS WORTH IT

Also got Zelda OOT for christmas, and my brother got Metal Gear Solid for his PSX which I enjoyed.

I obviously don't remember that well but getting the N64 with Mario 64 for christmas as a kid would be a close second best year for me yea. Forgot when the other big N64 games released like Banjo and Goldeneye but those times were amazing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Honestly? This one.

It can be fucked for everything else, but I've never been this hyped: FF VII, TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Animal Crossing, Dreams, P5 Royal, Cyberpunk 2077, World of Horror, Captain Tsubasa, Tony Hawk 1+2..............

Also P4G on Steam after wanting to play it for so many years.

If the 3D Mario collection is real I'll die.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
2007, the same year I joined the military. That meant I had a disposable income for the first time and I could get what I wanted, plus I finally had access to high speed internet. Halo 3, CoD 4, Mass Effect, Crysis, The Orange Box, and etc.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
2018 was the peak so far. As a fan of high production value games, to get God of War, RDR 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Astro Bot and Spider-Man in one year was heaven

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
1998. Highschool, no care about the real world. Part time job so I could buy everything I wanted. AMAZING games coming out month after month. The following years were also epic thanks to the Dreamcast :) What a time to be alive!

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
2004 still blows my mind with how good it was, no other year really beats it out.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Back in 2016 I beat 70 games which is my all time high. This year though I reached the top competitive rank in Rocket League which feels more satisfying.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think it's 2002. It has my second favorite game ever, Pac Man World 2, along with another game in my top 10, Super Monkey Ball 2. I don't think any other year has two of my top 10 games in the same year. Also Sly Cooper and Wind Waker, plus Animal Crossing getting released in North America.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Half Life
StarCraft
Metal Gear Solid
Pokemon Red & Blue
Grim Fandango
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Baldur's Gate
Resident Evil 2
F-Zero X
Banjo Kazooie
Thief
Xenogears
Turok 2

Last edited:

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Gotta be 2017! It was such a great year for Nintendo with Zelda and Mario having huge comebacks and some other really awesome stuff like ARMS and Xenoblade 2. Then you had amazing stuff like a 2D Metroid, Prey, Persona 5, Nier: Automata (OMG), The Evil Within 2, and my favorite Assassin's Creed so far. It was an immaculate year for games.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
So far? 2020.

I'm playing more games than I have for a while and it even made me get an account on ResetEra.

So yeah, hello everyone.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2010 I guess, Nier and Deadly Premonition, Amnesia and MGSPW, Skate 3 and more amazing stuff...

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I can point to my best ever MONTH actually. March 2005 in the UK had 3 particular games I wanted.

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)
Devil May Cry 3 (PS2)

Now, does that not fucking rule or what! No other time in my life has come close to that level of excitement in videogames :)

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
2004 and it's not even close.

Half Life 2,
Halo 2,
Doom 3,
Rome Total War,
Dawn of War,
Far Cry,
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Fable
GTA San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime 2

Good lord what a year!

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
2002 is probably my personal favorite year in terms of new releases. Metroid Prime and REmake (2 of my Top 3 favorite games ever), plus Eternal Darkness, Metroid Fusion, Super Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters 2, Splinter Cell and more.

2016 comes close, with The Witness, Hitman, Uncharted 4, Doom, The Last Guardian, Dark Souls III, Deus Ex:MD, Dishonored 2 and other gems. It's crazy that it was so strong despite Nintendo essentially taking the year off.

2012 is the year I played the most games (49). It wasn't a particularly great year for new releases, so I played a ton of amazing backlog games to make up for it.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
2005, starting high school and no-lifing WoW all summer. Getting in day long grief fests with hundreds of people over the open world bosses was a hilarious and very unique experience that hasn't really been replicated.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't narrow down a best year for game releases but for personal circumstances, I might go with 1990.

I was 14/15 years old and was able to fund my gaming hobby much more than before due to jobs like babysitting my cousins. It was the best job in the world because I was essentially paid to play video games with them.

That year also seemed to have my largest network of borrowing/trading games off friends and acquaintances. I already had a C64, NES, and SMS; several others I knew also had those. I bought my Genesis and Game Boy that summer, and found a new store that sold imports for cheaper than domestic games. And I would borrow a friend's TurboGrafx before I had my own. Arcades were fun to hang out at and they still had high end experiences you couldn't replicate at home.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect
Rock Band
Portal
Halo 3
God of War II
Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed
Team Fortress 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metroid Prime 3
Guitar Hero III
Picross DS
Puzzle Quest
Super Paper Mario
Crackdown

It was just a damn good year, fam.

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
In order

2001 - GTA3, GT3,. MGS2, DMC, Halo, FFX, Silent Hill 2, Pro Evolution Soccer, Tony Hawk 3, Ico

2017 - BOTW, Super Mario Oddyseey, HZD, Persona 5, Nioh, Nier Automata, Resident Evil 7, Wolfenstein, Prey

2007- Halo 3, Forza 2, Portal, Super Mario Galaxy, Cod4, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank FTOD, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Crysis

2001 wins over 17 narrowly because I was 11 and many of those games were the first time experiencing games of that scale as I mainly played Sports games prior to that.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

Notable

ICO
Grand Theft Auto III
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Silent Hill 2
SSX Tricky
Devil May Cry
And so much more

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
2004 and it's not even close.

Half Life 2,
Halo 2,
Doom 3,
Rome Total War,
Dawn of War,
Far Cry,
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Fable
GTA San Andreas
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metroid Prime 2

Good lord what a year!

I wouldn't personally pick 2004 as my personal favorite year, but November 2004 handily wins my favorite month of gaming ever. These five games released within a two-week window: Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gears Solid 3, and World of Warcraft. I was a poor college student who scraped up enough savings to pre-order three of them. It was just too good of a month to pass me by.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
This year has been particularly good. Like, freaky good and I can't remember any other year since 1995 that's been as packed with quality releases as this one.
Honestly? This one.

It can be fucked for everything else, but I've never been this hyped: FF VII, TLOU II, Ghost of Tsushima, Animal Crossing, Dreams, P5 Royal, Cyberpunk 2077, World of Horror, Captain Tsubasa, Tony Hawk 1+2..............

Also P4G on Steam after wanting to play it for so many years.

If the 3D Mario collection is real I'll die.
Also, DOOM Eternal, Ori 2, CoD Warzone, and the list goes on.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Every year has been good, even the ones during the '80s crash since arcades were still great and home computer games were going strong.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Like most videogame-related "top x" questions, I can't pick just one. There's hardly been a bad year since the late 80's. Here are the ones I'd consider contenders:

1987: So many classics from the NES and arcade this year. Zelda, Metroid, Shinobi (arcade), Castlevania, Punch-Out, Rygar (NES version is awesome), Double Dragon (arcade), etc.

1991: The SNES came out swinging. Super Mario World, Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, F-Zero, Pilot Wings. And the Genesis kept swinging: Sonic, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy. What an amazing year.

1996: The N64 and PS1 had banner years. Super Mario 64, Wave RAce, Shadows of the Empire on N64. PS1 had Tomb Raider, the best Wipeout (XL / 2048), RE1, King's Field, Tekken 2. PC had Quake and Descent II. A top contender.

1998: Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid alone put this at the top. But this year also had Unreal, Banjo-Kazooi, F-Zero X, RE2, Half-Life, Rogue Squadron, Tekken 3 (the best one), the cult classic Radiant Silvergun, and many more. Gun to my head, this might be my choice for all-time best.

2001: Another great launch year (Xbox and Gamecube), plus PS2 firing on all cylinders. Melee, Monkey Ball, GTAIII, Serious Sam, ICO, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear 2, Halo, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Advance Wars, Rogue Leader, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance...oh my God, what a year.

2017: Breath of the Wild, Horizon, RE7, Wolfenstein 2, PUBG, Mario Odyssey. A top-heavy year, but "heavy" is putting it lightly. The best year of the generation.

Looking back, I find it notable that no year from the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii generation made my list. That gen was stretched out, it feels like. If those 7 years worth of games had been released over 5 years, then some of those years could've been contenders.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
My personal favourite is 1994. Mortal Kombat II on home consoles, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Metroid, Doom II — not to mention FF6 and others.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The year of Splatoon, Fatal Frame V, and Xenoblade Chronicles X, and a lot more to talk in that upcoming 2015 thread :D

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
2017 was the year I really got back into games. Before then, I was mostly coasting along, playing some MP games with friends. I really felt burnt out/disappointing by what the generation had to offer. I don't think 2017 itself was the best year of all time for games, but there were just a few key titles that reinvigorated my interest for games, opened me up to new genres, etc.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
2015, mostly because Bloodborne and Witcher 3. Played a shit ton of games that year but now I dont have the same drive, I feel like I have played everything, very little games nowdays that I am bothered to finish.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wouldn't personally pick 2004 as my personal favorite year, but November 2004 handily wins my favorite month of gaming ever. These five games released within a two-week window: Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gears Solid 3, and World of Warcraft. I was a poor college student who scraped up enough savings to pre-order three of them. It was just too good of a month to pass me by.

Yeah, that was a crazy November. Probably the greatest winter of gaming I've ever had. Also forgot that HL2 came bundled with Counter Strike: Source. That game ate up my life for years!

Deleted member 69573

Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Probably 3 distinct years for me:

- I got FF8 later than everyone else. FF8 in 2000 to a 11 year old was mind blowing, more so than when I played FF7 for the first time a year earlier.
- I got Psychic Force 2 at the same time which was a nice surprise as I just randomly picked it out of the used games pile. Id always wanted a fighting game that played and looked like that.
- I played Metal Gear Solid 1 properly for the first time, after playing the demo over and over in the years prior
- My neighbour got Crash Bandicoot 3 and Crash Team Racing. Good times spent going over there and playing those games together.

- Got a PS2 (a year later than release, but my child brain wasn't following this stuff at this time)
- This was my first Christmas console
- Tekken Tag Tournament
- The Wrath of Cortex

-
Got a PSP
- Loco Roco
- Valkyrie Profile
- Metal Gear ACID 2
- Tekken 5
- Wipeout

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
1997 was by far my best year for gaming. 1998 is almost a close second though.

These all released:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Goldeneye
Vandal Hearts
Symphony of the Night
Tomb Raider 2
Oddworld
FF7 (liked it)

Diablo was technically released in 1996, but come on. December 31st may as well be 1997. I also imported X-Men vs Street Fighter for the Saturn and played the hell out of that at home and at the arcade. Was also introduced to my now best friend of twenty-two and a half years through that game as well.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
2017 was insanity

Breath of the Wild
Persona 5
Nier Automata
Super Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Resident Evil VII
Hollow Knight
Cuphead

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
2020 only because I have time to play all the games I've missed or dismissed over the past 5 or 7 years.

Oct 25, 2017

In PAL land we got MGS, the Platinum rerelease of FFVII, Dino Crisis, Music, Dino Crisis, FFVIII. I also finally beat Resident Evil and bought Resident Evil 2 that summer.

2005 was pretty great too. Resident Evil 4 (GOAT), MGS3, Chaos Theory, DMC3, KotoR2 all came out within a February-March period. It was insane.