• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your opinion on Jill's new design?

• Incredible

• Good

• It's okay

• Bad, I prefer the OG design

• Horrible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
are people honestly saying this design looks like anime titty bait?
a little stylized maybe, but other than that she doesn't look sexualized at all while still not just looking boring as the new jill
resident_evil_ps4-4.png

This. I like the new Design, even if it could be a tad more interesting, but the REmake Jill is still my favorite. I also dontreally get the Anime/Waifu-criticism at least towards REmake. RE3 Outfit and especially 5 are on a different level though.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So it's okay for people on this forum to judge a woman on their looks? She can wear whatever she wants, and she's probably not sorry that she doesn't please you.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what you can do with her bottom half other thrn Jean's.

The blue tank top and white undershirt is probably the best you can do to keep the feel of the old design in 2020. But obviously a miniskirt would be real dumb now. But Jean's and tank top combo just make her look like every other female protagonist this generation.

It's a hard one. Maybe if she still had a shirt around her waist that could work to give it a little extra something?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I always felt like Jill's classic outfit was the worst, by far, of all the main RE characters, so I never managed to take her seriously. Them replacing that with something more sensible was way up there on my wishlist for this remake. It almost doesn't matter what they changed it to (though I like it), only that they changed it.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
From the leaked boxart i was totally in, looking at the trailer it looks so baaaaaaad.
Not that modern-old Jill looked good, i think the last time she looked good was REmake on GC and even then... meh.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I like it a lot design wise. Facial stuff seems inconsistent to me sometimes but so did Claire's at first so I'm not worried.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does even wearing a skirt makes sense in the context of the game? In the lore you can get the virus by being bitten by a zombie or rat infected with the virus. Wouldn't it be logical to have pants to protect her legs especially since she knows them from the mansion in 1.
The new costume does nothing to protect her arms, shoulders, neck, so it no better than the tube top and holster.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
REmake Jill is the best Jill, but the new one is good, face is a bit bland with no distintc features, but realistic, could have been worse. I just need time to get used to it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
People are discussing the design of a videogame character, who happens to be female. Not "judging a woman on her looks".

Eh, imagine some of these comments being targeted towards a real person, "oh they look boring in that outfit" "I prefer her when she had the miniskirt on" "her face looks wrong" etc. It's kinda gross imo, and I just don't think someone being fictional suddenly justifies it. But I just won't look in this topic again and that should fix it.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol okay looking at it from the female version of generic white guy angle, this is pretty funny.

Generic brunette white girl with exposed arms/shoulders? ehhh doesn't have the same ring to it
Tank top action girl is design run into the ground. Movies have been doing it for decades and now the design has infected games as they chase 'realism' more and more and give up stylised designs.

www.glamour.com

The New Lara Croft Proves All Women in Action Movies Apparently Shop at the Same Store

Cargo pants and a tight tank top = the uniform of a sexy badass.

Even found an article from 2000 commenting on the overuse, especially white ones (omg they not all white tops now, innovation isn't dead!)

It's just.... Boring.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I wish she had her white jacked around her waist, since it would lighten up the dark blue top - black jeans combo and make her design a little less boring. The main problem with her new design is that it doesn't stand out in any way.

Old design (STARS uniform, BSAA uniform, RE3 tube top and miniskirt) were recognizable even if the character was drawn in different art styles, or were just a bunch of pixels. This one doesn't look so distinctive.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Eh, imagine some of these comments being targeted towards a real person

Except we are discussing a video game character design, not real person's clothing preferences.

"oh they look boring in that outfit" "I prefer her when she had the miniskirt on" "her face looks wrong" etc. It's kinda gross imo,

You know that there are people who specialize in criticizing people's way of dressing and advicing people what they should wear to look their best? There are also plenty of tv shows about that.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Except it looks like something a human woman actually wears...
A human woman wouldn't wear a tube top or a tank top in a zombie apocalypse. They're both bad.

Like how can you criticize the tube while at the same time praise the tank top.

I loved the original design but it was a product of its time. I 100% expect them to change it to a more practical clothing but they kinda forgot about the upper body.

They left her waist jacket. Her boots aren't brown. Like it's pretty hard to identify it as Jill.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, imagine some of these comments being targeted towards a real person, "oh they look boring in that outfit" "I prefer her when she had the miniskirt on" "her face looks wrong" etc. It's kinda gross imo, and I just don't think someone being fictional suddenly justifies it. But I just won't look in this topic again and that should fix it.

I wouldn't imagine those comments made against a real person because they are not being made against a real person. I can separate fact and fiction pretty easy. Things I do/think in games are not what I do/think in the real world. A real person has real feelings to consider, at worst the real person to consider here are the artists, who should expect criticism. I say this thinking the old design is trash, and the new is boring.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what you can do with her bottom half other thrn Jean's.

The blue tank top and white undershirt is probably the best you can do to keep the feel of the old design in 2020. But obviously a miniskirt would be real dumb now. But Jean's and tank top combo just make her look like every other female protagonist this generation.

It's a hard one. Maybe if she still had a shirt around her waist that could work to give it a little extra something?

They could try anything but a tank top and be infinitely more original than this.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Many things that in games are terrible if you imagine them to happen to real people. If we can justify killing people in games I'm sure we can justify criticizing designs of people in games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
While we're at it, can we also criticize "classic" Carlos costume that looks nothing like RE3 Carlos? It looks more like a rejected BSAA Chris costume. :(

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's so funny that we are heading into the third RE game using Capcom's new engine and people still can't grasp that everyone is being modeled after different people and may not look like their past counterparts. The fact people were expecting Voth to reprise her role was even funnier given Chris, Ada, Claire, and Leon were modeled using different people.

Also the comments about Jill being too masculine or not feminine enough are fucking dumb. LOL It reminds me of how many people tried to say that her skirt and tube top made sense if you imagined her going to the club and living her life normally just before the events of RE3, which itself was stupid because it suggested that women ONLY wear skirts to the club. Have any of you mother fuckers ever gone out or what? Do you think women are some monolith who dress the same for sex appeal or some shit?

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because human women don't wear tube tops and skirts.
Not while doing something active, no. Tube tops aren't exactly stable and liable to move, you'd know if you ever wore one you have to keep pull them up. That kind of tight mini skirt makes it hard to move your thighs, and you really can't run or even really make large strides in it. If you had ever worn these types of clothes, you'd know why if you had to be active you never wear a tube top and mini skirt.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Not while doing something active, no. Tube tops aren't exactly stable and liable to move, you'd know if you ever wore one you have to keep pull them up. That kind of tight mini skirt makes it hard to move your thighs, and you really can't run or even really make large strides in it. If you had ever worn these types of clothes, you'd know why if you had to be active you never wear a tube top and mini skirt.
Maybe the preorder outfit comes with the hard mode. Just walk fast, no running alowed.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
But "bring it next gen" isn't the problem. They changed the style to be more realistic

It bothers me a lot more in DMC than RE because DMC is a lot more anime

I mean, look at God of War 2018, MGS V or Monster Hunter World for example of great characters that are stylezed in different ways than just "realist"

I hate Nero, Chris and Leon the most in the RE Engine
I think leon looks great personally, but I never thought his re4 look was super amazing.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the redesigns I think Leon's conveys him as straight laced and naive, Ada's conveys her as seductive and overtly as a spy, Claire at a glance looks cool and confident.

I do think the old RE3 design for Jill did a better job of conveying someone caught by surprise but capable. There's a sweater tied around her waist so it looks at a glance like an outfit 'modified' to better cope with the situation (even though you would logically drop it).

It's a tough redesign. I think maybe you do something with her hair, like it's hastily cut to keep away from her eyes. Or you change the sweater/shirt in the original design to something with pockets, so you have a reason why it might be kept.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wont she have alternate outfits? I love the way she looks as i love everyhtign about the remakes so far but lets not forget. These designs are far more grounded yes, but the games are still absolutely silly and surreal. Let's be honest, if theres a teddy bear outfit people will be playing in that. Slightly over designed characters are right at home here and shes the most plain out of all the new designs. Absolutely love her model though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's so funny that we are heading into the third RE game using Capcom's new engine and people still can't grasp that everyone is being modeled after different people and may not look like their past counterparts. The fact people were expecting Voth to reprise her role was even funnier given Chris, Ada, Claire, and Leon were modeled using different people.

Also the comments about Jill being too masculine or not feminine enough are fucking dumb. LOL It reminds me of how many people tried to say that her skirt and tube top made sense if you imagined her going to the club and living her life normally just before the events of RE3, which itself was stupid because it suggested that women ONLY wear skirts to the club. Have any of you mother fuckers ever gone out or what? Do you think women are some monolith who dress the same for sex appeal or some shit?
It's funnier because voth wasn't even brought back for revelations, 7 years ago way before re having this reboot phase/era.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Not bad. But I prefer the REmake design.
Regarding the original RE3 clothing not being realistic, in the end is a f* zombie videogame. Many things are not realistic and we are fine with it.
At least let the player choose the outfit.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017