• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your opinion on Jill's new design?

• Incredible

• Good

• It's okay

• Bad, I prefer the OG design

• Horrible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
We went from this:

Jill-Valentine-resident-evil-5-40426218-1024-430.jpg

To this:

ELbroLBXUAAYqTU

Thanks, Capcom!
A straight improvement

REmake Jill > RE3make Jill >> original RE3 Jill >>> whatever they did to her after that I haven't actually played those games but I've seen images and I've seen her in UMvC3 and what the heck man

Anyway RE3make Jill is good. Carlos on the other hand is excellent.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's an absolute improvement over the original one.

Some people just have bad taste.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I dont like the face, but cant describe in detail what I dont like about it. Just feel unsettled by it.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
It's great. Although, I have no sympathy for anyone hating it because they wanted their precious Julia Voth aka Classic Jill

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Clothes are fine, whatever, I like reboot Lara Croft, but I still can't get used to her face.

RE Engine turned Jill and Chris, my favorite RE protagonists, into "who are these people?". Leon still looks great and recognizeable.

My desire for them to find some bullshit reason to bring Wesker back is now gone because I don't want to imagine what he'd look like.

Why? I would say she looks just like she did in RE3, face included (especially in the classic outfit). She doesn't look like Julia but she didn't look like Julia in RE3 either. I think they made the right choice in having Jill's look in this game be more evocative of her RE3 design and they found a model that fit that look really well.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
It's basically just Lara Croft's design from Shadow Raider. I'll just use the classic costume anyways.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
NU Chris is best Chris and looks like an older version (he is 44) of CVX and Remake Chris. Just look at them side by side.
RE5 / 6 / Revelations Chris is the one that looks like an older REmake Chris, because that model literally served as the basis for buff Chris:

q4yebxvqsme21.jpg

RE7 Chris just looks like a completely different person.
I understand that RE5 Chris is much beloved piece of beefcake but pre-RE5, I never imagined him as such. RE7 Chris feels like a return to his roots, design-wise.
He hasn't looked like that in a long time, though. It doesn't reflect who Chris became, or what he sounds like. Now isn't the time to go back and try to evoke an old Dreamcast design.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about her clothes or anything I just think that Capcom's face scanning has made the models more realistic and generic. (You can see their older art style is still around in Monster Hunter World).

I personally don't want games (or CG movies) to go this route and would prefer stylization, it doesn't have to be anime.

I'm still getting the game because I'm a fan of the series, I just have a mall criticism of the art style-
Hey hey hey I don't see the Zeebo port of RE4 in there

Fake fan! FAKE FAN!!!!!!!!!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's good.

It's not INCREDIBLE, but it's good. I do like that Capcom is aiming for more grounded looks with the RE Engine era games, kinda helps sell what the engine can do with realistic materials, lighting, and such. Helps sell the tension by avoiding the "capable supermodel" look that I feel like this series leaned on up until this point. I mean, I liked that classic look of the series just fine but I think this does a lot more for the atmosphere and general believability of what this engine achieves visually, as well as the horror element of the gameplay design itself.

Speaking solely on costuming and not on faces, I never even liked tubetop Jill in OG RE3, pretty much permanently used alternate costumes after I unlocked them. I don't miss it as the default one bit here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, I don't think it's distinctive.

Guns aside I don't think it communicates anything. The STARS badge doesn't draw the eye, where it might've pinned to the vest.

The response to thinking the design is lacklustre has been toxic, so whatever, it does the job.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It's good. Close enough to the original to not feel unfaithful, while also being more faithful to the way people actually dress in reality to gel better with the photorealistic aesthetic.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Normal person wearing what's expected to be worn during a zombie outbreak. Given Capcom's recent direction with grounding what they can in a series such as Resident Evil, the move away from a tube top and skirt on the third day of a zombie outbreak to boots, jeans and a shirt is to be expected.

I always thought the original costume was stupid as hell in a funny way. I remember booting up the game and realizing what she was wearing given everything going on. So impractical, but it was fine at the end of the day. Same thing applies here, but this doesn't look stupid like her older outfit. Sure, it was iconic, but I didn't qualify it as anything more than that.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fine on its own, but the original is far better.

Reminds me of the Lara Croft redesign.

Tube tops and skirts 4tw in a zombie outbreak where a scratch or bite can end your life

Also 4tw are short shorts and a tank top in the middle of venomous creature/mythical creature/venomous and mythical creature-infested jungles

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I have no problem with her face. She still looks like Jill to me.

The outfit is horrifically boring, however. It just looks like reboot Lara. I'm happy the classic costume is in the game.

(And they didn't botch it like the Claire "classic" costume.)

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's alright. They should have kept the jacket around her waist to make it more unique.
It just doesn't scream Jill to me.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's quite good, but I prefer the OG design, better yet, REmake 1 deisgn.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Meant to post this here instead of the announcement thread, but she looks amazing.

And for those who wished for the original design, it's there too. Win/win all around.

untitledb1kni.png

thefragrance

Avenger
Dec 18, 2017
Love it. She looks like a mix between Mila Jovovich and Natalie Portman.

I agree with the others when it comes to the outfit, though. Skinny pants in 1998? Nobody would've been wearing grungey boots by then either. Capcom not capitalizing on 90's nostalgia

Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping the game would open with an explanation of why she's wearing her tube top and miniskirt. She's on a night out when shit goes down or something. Then she can change to something more practical later.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It's awesome and the poll results show that a vocal minority makes it seem like everyone hates it. Thank goodness.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Don't they usually base the characters off a real life model?

Anyone know who they are for Jill and Carlos?

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I'm having a hard time associating her face with Jill Valentine, which is what really throws me off the new design. I like it otherwise though.